ADVERTISEMENT

ACC advertising itself as THE football conference

southflcock

Nov 6, 2001
The ACC has released new advertising promoting their wine and cheese conference as THE football conference. When you look at their teams(minus ND) you see 2 elite teams, 2 pretenders and the rest deserve to be in the Southern Conference. Their OOC scheduling last year was pathetic. They did however have the team that won it all and did do very well in the bowl games. And I still don't see how they are SO high on Clemson minus DW this year. They basically play 4 games this year if you count our game. Their game against FSU isn't until November, by that time they will have somewhat of a QB, but I still don't see them in the final 4. What are your thoughts?

The ACC has released new advertising promoting their wine and cheese conference as THE football conference. When you look at their teams(minus ND) you see 2 elite teams, 2 pretenders and the rest deserve to be in the Southern Conference. Their OOC scheduling last year was pathetic. They did however have the team that won it all and did do very well in the bowl games. And I still don't see how they are SO high on Clemson minus DW this year. They basically play 4 games this year if you count our game. Their game against FSU isn't until November, by that time they will have somewhat of a QB, but I still don't see them in the final 4. What are your thoughts?
Let's see how we do against NCST before we get too carried away with this.

I think it is not hard to argue that the ACC was the toughest conference in college football after you take all things into consideration. This includes the national championship, top 2 Heisman vote getters, record in OOC play, record in bowl games, etc. It does not mean the ACC will remain in the top position but they were there last year.

You say you see 2 elite teams in the ACC and the rest deserve to be the in Southern Conference. How many elite teams did the SEC have last season? If you count anyone other than Bama you are not using the same scale for the SEC as you use for the ACC.

As for Clemson this coming season, I do think there will be a fall off. However, I predict that fall off will be 9-3 or 10-2. Most honest Clemson fans do not believe we will win another championship this season but we do think our defense will be good enough to keep us in games and we have enough playmakers around the QB that we can make up for some of what we lost in DW. You will see lower scoring games and an offense that does not move at the same fast speed in order to prevent turnovers and not get caught in a shootout. Remember, Alabama used this exact recipe last season to make it all the way to the championship game.

Playing Auburn, FSU, at Louisville, at NC State, and at VT are all tough games. You wanted to include USC so that makes 6 tough games. I ask you this, how many tough games do you think the gamecocks have this year? I would count NC State, at TAMU, at UT, at UGA, Florida, and Clemson. That makes 6 tough games for both teams.

Last edited:
The Tigers have had their one-per-35-year run last year, so look for them to fall back to earth. Losing Watson hurt, but they lost a lot more in receivers, running back, and defensive stalwarts. They'll lose 2 outta 3 at UL, VT, or NCS, plus at home against FSU. They might also lose either the AU or SC game too. I'll book them at 8-4 regular season, no Final Four, no ACC 'ship, but a decent bowl. That would qualify as a good season for 95% of America's teams, including the Gamecocks, but that won't meet expectations of a lot of Clemson fans!

The tigers have had their one-per-35-year run last year, so look for them to fall back to earth. Losing Watson hurt, but they lost a lot more in receivers, running back, and defensive stalwarts. They'll lose 2 outta 3 at UL, VT, or NCS, plus at home against FSU. They might also lose either the AU or SC game too. I'll book them at 8-4 regular season, no Final Four, no ACC 'ship, but a decent bowl.
Also, the ACC has been the best football conference for the past two seasons .... no argument here.

The tigers have had their one-per-35-year run last year, so look for them to fall back to earth. Losing Watson hurt, but they lost a lot more in receivers, running back, and defensive stalwarts. They'll lose 2 outta 3 at UL, VT, or NCS, plus at home against FSU. They might also lose either the AU or SC game too. I'll book them at 8-4 regular season, no Final Four, no ACC 'ship, but a decent bowl.

I think this is a reasonable prediction from a USC fan. As a Clemson fan with my orange glasses, I still predict 9-3 or 10-2. I do think FSU will win the ACC this year but I also think there is a reasonable shot that Clemson will be back in a BCS bowl since FSU would be in the playoff. If that is a "fall back to earth" season then sign me up!

Let's see how we do against NCST before we get too carried away with this.
And let's see if Alabama beats FSU. If you look at the last two or three years, the SEC has slipped badly. We've done poorly on rivalry weekend vs. the ACC and not much better in bowls. As for UPC, the bottom line is that Pittsburgh did and NC. State almost did (at UPC) what Alabama couldn't do on the Big Stage. Except for our stadiums and the sizes of the crowds we draw, we have no bragging rights over the ACC at this time.

I think this is a reasonable prediction from a USC fan. As a Clemson fan with my orange glasses, I still predict 9-3 or 10-2. I do think FSU will win the ACC this year but I also think there is a reasonable shot that Clemson will be back in a BCS bowl since FSU would be in the playoff. If that is a "fall back to earth" season then sign me up!
Yeah, I could see a 9-3 or 10-2 if chips fall correctly. By "back to earth", I mean a lot of my Tiger friends are unrealistically thinking another natty.

Yeah, I could see a 9-3 or 10-2 if chips fall correctly. By "back to earth", I mean a lot of my Tiger friends are unrealistically thinking another natty.

I have been a Clemson fan all my life and grew up in Lexington, so I am very familiar with both sides of this rivalry. There are fans on both sides that claim every year their team is going to win it all. Check this board, there are a few fans claiming USC will win it all this season. I contend most of these people don't really think this, they just like to say it out loud.

I think most honest fans see Clemson in the 9-3 range, give or take a game, and most honest fans see USC in the 6-6 range, give or take a game.

Reactions: bdblack
Not a chance. The ACC is stronger than they used to be, but they are not "the" football conference. It's just the cyclical nature of things. The SEC continues to recruit at the highest of levels, but the problem is the coaching is not as elite. We'll either see these new coaches transition into success, or we will see schools up the ante on better coaches in a few years.

Nevertheless, even in down years the SEC can make a reasonable claim to being the best football conference. Once these coaching transitions are resolved (either through success or new hires), then you will see the SEC exerting complete dominance on the college football landscape.

SEC has definitely been "down" in football compared to the standard it has set for itself over the last 10-15 years. SEC used to be tough top to bottom with one or two exceptions. There is a lot of mediocrity in the SEC now. ACC is not huge top to bottom, but they have a few excellent teams and some pretty good ones. In terms of USC, we have two ACC teams on the schedule. CU is obviously one of the teams to beat nationally right now, and NC State is pretty darn good (should have beat CU last year). The way I see it, ACC should be thumping its chest right now. They've been a lot better than they used to be.

Reactions: king ward
Not a chance. The ACC is stronger than they used to be, but they are not "the" football conference. It's just the cyclical nature of things. The SEC continues to recruit at the highest of levels, but the problem is the coaching is not as elite. We'll either see these new coaches transition into success, or we will see schools up the ante on better coaches in a few years.

Nevertheless, even in down years the SEC can make a reasonable claim to being the best football conference. Once these coaching transitions are resolved (either through success or new hires), then you will see the SEC exerting complete dominance on the college football landscape.
You're only as good as the latest season or two. The SEC has slipped; the ACC hasn't. I believe the SEC SHOULD be better, based on the passion for football and the resources devoted to the game by SEC schools, but the SEC needs to reassert itself.

Reactions: bdblack
Lol, that pretty pathetic you have to market like that. If they were really THE football conference, they wouldn't have to say it, everyone else would do it for them. Clowns.

Reactions: 92Pony
These days the SEC is one elite team, a couple of slightly above average teams, one putrid team and a whole lot of mediocrity. And it's a league that loses repeatedly to the ACC on rivalry Saturday. So throwing insults their way right now rings pretty hollow. Try beating them again that's a start.

As I have said over and over until the QB play in the SEC improves the league won't come close to what it was. Until then I'd put the "SEC SEC SEC" stuff on the shelf.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
ACC is best conference followed by Big 10 probably. SEC third right now I guess

At the end of the day, I really couldn't give a shit if the SEC is good. The only way that really helps us is if it gets us the nod into the Playoff. When it comes down to it, it's about beating Clemson and winning the SEC, regardless of how good it is.

Disclaimer- yes I know it can help with recruiting in some ways too

Well let's see....maybe one that loses by 30 to Ga Tech? You know one of the lower of the lowly ACC schools.

Be careful, that lowly ACC school also beat UGA last year. In fact, the lowly SEC school that lost by 30 to GT also beat UGA last year.

You lost the smart ones at "natty".

Nah! I just like to tease a few of you guys who are so obsessive about the term "National Championship". Actually, I've never ever used the word "natty" except on this board. All in good fun, my friend!

South Carolina NEEDS the SEC to be down. We won 33 games in three seasons and got absolutely jack to put in a trophy case. Think about that... 11 wins THREE TIMES and we didn't even PLAY for the SEC title.

Meanwhile, while Clemson was losing to us, they were cruising in the ACC. That's a tough conference right now but it wasn't even three years ago and don't be fooled... Clemson was an "ok" football team during our five year run but their weak conference schedule not only allowed them to survive our streak, it let them win it. Yeah I said it... we beat them five times in a row and they still won. They went to TWO BCS bowls during that period, they won their conference during that period... all while we were the better team in a conference that (at the time) was so tough that our 11 wins didn't even end up mattering. Yay.

Taters are in a midget conference that has 2-3 good teams annually. Acc is and will alwYs be a basketball conference . Taters still have hard time with identity. Even after a NC. Face it. No one knows where Pickens SC is located. Unless your from Pickens. Most people in the lower state couldn't find Pickens on a map.

Taters are in a midget conference that has 2-3 good teams annually. Acc is and will alwYs be a basketball conference . Taters still have hard time with identity. Even after a NC. Face it. No one knows where Pickens SC is located. Unless your from Pickens. Most people in the lower state couldn't find Pickens on a map.

The top two recruits this cycle managed to find it.

The top two recruits this cycle managed to find it.
That's a good one .... best comeback I've seen on this board this week. Speaking of top recruits .... has Trevor completed her last SR surgery or does he have more to come? Inquiring minds want to know!

Who cares whether anybody knows where Pickens, SC is?

The mighty wake demon Deacons , Boston college , Virginia. Etc. those r the teams part of The best conference Lol. Really

Kind of funny how all you heard from the ezz crowd was the SEC wasn't the best when clearly they were for years. I even remember the gt coach running his pie hole a few years ago when they beat Georgia for the first time in years and referencing the conference. I totally agree the SEC has fallen off but isn't it funny that when the conference is good it elevates everyone. Alabama stays good due to an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talent but I think a weak conference will even drag them down some as well. So yes I pull for the SEC to do well because it will only make us better if we become one of the top teams in the conference again.

These days the SEC is one elite team, a couple of slightly above average teams, one putrid team and a whole lot of mediocrity. And it's a league that loses repeatedly to the ACC on rivalry Saturday. So throwing insults their way right now rings pretty hollow. Try beating them again that's a start.

As I have said over and over until the QB play in the SEC improves the league won't come close to what it was. Until then I'd put the "SEC SEC SEC" stuff on the shelf.

Believe you hit the nail on the head with QB play. I also believe this year the SEC has the better QBs. Last year it was definitely the ACC

This thread looks like a bunch of Taters playing with themselves. If you're going to do that, bring some FACTS. First of all...The ACC has 14 teams, not the two or three you like to talk about. TWO years ago, BAMA was the NCAA champion...not an ACC team. The SEC won a record NINE bowl games (9-2). The ACC was 4-6! Does that sound like the best conference? You can probably make an argument for last year though. QB play was the reason for the SEC being down last year. It will be much better this year. Even though the conference was down last year, the SEC still had the most players drafted by the NFL (record number in the first 2 rounds). Talent is not down, and the NFL knows it. No conference will ever match the intensity of the SEC or match the dollars spent on their football programs.

Doubt it will last, but if you look at last year alone, they aren't wrong. SEC has sort of turned into Alabama, and everybody else. Got to get the powers that helped make the SEC what it was, like Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee, back on track and playing at the level they once played at.

It's because of their inferiority complex and the chip on their shoulder.

I think it is not hard to argue that the ACC was the toughest conference in college football after you take all things into consideration. This includes the national championship, top 2 Heisman vote getters, record in OOC play, record in bowl games, etc. It does not mean the ACC will remain in the top position but they were there last year.

You say you see 2 elite teams in the ACC and the rest deserve to be the in Southern Conference. How many elite teams did the SEC have last season? If you count anyone other than Bama you are not using the same scale for the SEC as you use for the ACC.

As for Clemson this coming season, I do think there will be a fall off. However, I predict that fall off will be 9-3 or 10-2. Most honest Clemson fans do not believe we will win another championship this season but we do think our defense will be good enough to keep us in games and we have enough playmakers around the QB that we can make up for some of what we lost in DW. You will see lower scoring games and an offense that does not move at the same fast speed in order to prevent turnovers and not get caught in a shootout. Remember, Alabama used this exact recipe last season to make it all the way to the championship game.

Playing Auburn, FSU, at Louisville, at NC State, and at VT are all tough games. You wanted to include USC so that makes 6 tough games. I ask you this, how many tough games do you think the gamecocks have this year? I would count NC State, at TAMU, at UT, at UGA, Florida, and Clemson. That makes 6 tough games for both teams.[/QUOTE

I love my alma mater, and all things Gamecocks, but I cannot honestly say that I would include SC in any list of tough games for Clemson until I see our team perform. Clemson has a deep pool of talent. If they can get good QB play, they will still be a top 20 or even a top 10 team.

I have been a Clemson fan all my life and grew up in Lexington, so I am very familiar with both sides of this rivalry. There are fans on both sides that claim every year their team is going to win it all. Check this board, there are a few fans claiming USC will win it all this season. I contend most of these people don't really think this, they just like to say it out loud.

I think most honest fans see Clemson in the 9-3 range, give or take a game, and most honest fans see USC in the 6-6 range, give or take a game.
Gamecock here but that is probably about right.

Reactions: Tiger71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT