ADVERTISEMENT

ACC contacts OU, Texas and Oklahoma State

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Evidently, the ACC just reached out to contact OU, Texas and Oklahoma State to see if they wanted a group invite. They are worried the SEC will be so dominant with OU and Texas. The big selling point is if OU is blocked by the Oklahoma legislature from the SEC because Oklahoma State would be left in the cold, this could be a solution that the SEC couldn't match. Y'all won't likely offer Oklahoma State.

Too little. Too late. Dollar short. Texas and Ok to SEC is a done deal. Have been talking and planning this for months. This would be like setting the clock back to Dec, 2020 which has been reported as the start of talks with the SEC. Why would Texas and Ok want to join a one pony league that doesn't really care about FB? Playing in stadiums where fans, if they even show up, yawn all the way thru a game in stadiums that hold 40 to 50,000 and that's full capacity. As opposed to the SEC of 80 to 100,000 fans who are gonna be full throated for an A&M, Texas, or Ok game or put Bama in place of A&M or LSU or......................

Evidently, the ACC just reached out to contact OU, Texas and Oklahoma State to see if they wanted a group invite. They are worried the SEC will be so dominant with OU and Texas. The big selling point is if OU is blocked by the Oklahoma legislature from the SEC because Oklahoma State would be left in the cold, this could be a solution that the SEC couldn't match. Y'all won't likely offer Oklahoma State.
I can believe this. The repugnant sewer rats that don't care about college football will stoop to any level.

Texas and Oklahoma should also take into account what happens to their football program long term if they join the ACC. Florida State and Virginia Tech had some early success when joining ACC but currently has decline in the win/loss category. Miami also is not having the same results like they was having in the Big East. Miami has only played in one ACC championship game since entering the league in 2004.

I am not here to trash the ACC and they did something last season that only the SEC has done and that is put two teams in the NCAA playoffs, however I think the biggest problem with the ACC with the exception of clemson, no team can show any consistency in football of staying near the top of the league.

Last edited:
Texas and Oklahoma should also take into account what happens to their football program long term if they join the ACC. Florida State and Virginia Tech had some early success when joining ACC but currently has decline in the win/loss category. Miami also is not having the same results like they was having in the Big East. Miami has only played in one ACC championship game since entering the league in 2004.

I am not here to trash the ACC and they did something last season that only the SEC has done and that is put two teams in the NCAA playoffs, however I think the biggest problem with the ACC with the exception of clemson, no team can show any consistency in football of staying near the top of the league.
What two teams did the ACC have in the 2020 college football playoffs? Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, and Ohio State were in the playoffs in 2020.

ND doesn't count. They need to join the ACC full time and operate on ACC money before they count. The conference hasn't had the chance to pull ND into land of misery yet.

ND doesn't count. They need to join the ACC full time and operate on ACC money before they count. The conference hasn't had the chance to pull ND into land of misery yet.
Agree. Their should be an * besides Notre Dame name regarding conference affiliation as temporary ACC member due to the Corona virus. Point of my post was ACC could be like kryptonite for football schools that would want to joint the ACC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
This is beginning to sound more and more that OU and Texas did indeed initiate this move to gauge interest from all the other conferences and see who would be the best fit.
Academically, Athletically and Financially. Keep in mind, it's not necessarily based on the now, but future outlook.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Sir, I really like you as a poster. I find your post to be interesting, entertaining and informative. But to Texas fans, if that is what they want, then have fun playing Pitt, BC, Syracuse, VT, WF and dook.

Last edited:
Reactions: redrogers
Do you have any kind of reference for this news item.

Do you have any kind of reference for this news item.
It is just being reported by Rivals Orangeblood reporters from sources inside the Texas administration. I don't think Texas is at all interested in the ACC, but if Oklahoma is blocked by their legislature from going SEC, to save Oklahoma State, it might be attractive to them as Plan B.

Reactions: deborah1
Sir, I really like you as a poster. I find your post to be interesting, entertaining and informative. But to Texas fans if that is what they want then have fun playing Pitt, BC, Syracuse, VT, WF and dook.
I don't think Texas is at all interested in the ACC. Neither is Oklahoma, except as Plan B if their legislature successfully blocks them from the SEC to protect Oklahoma State. That is the big difference as the ACC is supposedly willing to offer all three, Texas, OU and Okie State. The SEC only wants Texas and OU. To Texas it doesn't matter. We would like OU to come to the SEC as well to maintain that rivalry, but if they can't then they can't. The only thing stopping Texas from the SEC will be an unexpected vote there, or The Big Ten really stepping up right now with a generous offer. Even then it is a close call.

When the news broke, the Texas AD staffers were told to play it cool. At OU, the Athletic Dept staffers broke out with an impromptu party celebration. That's how much OU wants the SEC thing to work out. They were openly celebrating the news.

This was an inevitable event that the ACC and in all probability the other 2 conferences would reach out to them. Everyone already knew that would happen. Decision is done. Besides, the Oklahoma legislature thing has already been discounted as being unenforceable. Oklahoma State is actually a big winner in this. They were never going to be invited to join the SEC so now they probably are Big 10 bound, a much better alternative to the Big 12.

The ACC is desperate at this point.

This was an inevitable event that the ACC and in all probability the other 2 conferences would reach out to them. Everyone already knew that would happen. Decision is done. Besides, the Oklahoma legislature thing has already been discounted as being unenforceable. Oklahoma State is actually a big winner in this. They were never going to be invited to join the SEC so now they probably are Big 10 bound, a much better alternative to the Big 12.

The ACC is desperate at this point.
The Big Ten has been reluctant to offer non AAU schools, so what if Oklahoma State doesn't get a Big Ten offer? I think Oklahoma State may fair poorly in this. Kansas probably finds a resting spot there, but I doubt Oklahoma State.

The Big Ten has been reluctant to offer non AAU schools, so what if Oklahoma State doesn't get a Big Ten offer? I think Oklahoma State may fair poorly in this. Kansas probably finds a resting spot there, but I doubt Oklahoma State.
You may be right but at some point as mega conferences form, the Big Ten is going to have to drop their holier than thou attitude towards traditional football schools. Maybe they can get Stanford, Cal, etc to join them ? What would be hilarious is seeing the Big 10 rob the ACC of schools like Duke, Virginia, UNC, etc. I think at that point Clemson comes crawling on their knees to the SEC.

Too little. Too late. Dollar short. Texas and Ok to SEC is a done deal. Have been talking and planning this for months. This would be like setting the clock back to Dec, 2020 which has been reported as the start of talks with the SEC. Why would Texas and Ok want to join a one pony league that doesn't really care about FB? Playing in stadiums where fans, if they even show up, yawn all the way thru a game in stadiums that hold 40 to 50,000 and that's full capacity. As opposed to the SEC of 80 to 100,000 fans who are gonna be full throated for an A&M, Texas, or Ok game or put Bama in place of A&M or LSU or......................
I don't believe it's a done deal.

I don't believe it's a done deal.
It depends on how many of these "reports" have legs. But I believe the people who most want it to happen and who have the power to make it happen have reached agreement. It will now depend on the degree of willfulness of any obstructionist person of group, such as a legislature. But I would think most of those key people have also had their temperature taken.

It depends on how many of these "reports" have legs. But I believe the people who most want it to happen and who have the power to make it happen have reached agreement. It will now depend on the degree of willfulness of any obstructionist person of group, such as a legislature. But I would think most of those key people have also had their temperature taken.
I don't know about the Ok legislature, OU has a tough road. But in Texas, this was timed perfectly. The Legislature is out of session as of May and won't be back until January 10, 2023. I expect by then the Big 12 will be defunct and Texas already playing in the SEC. Sure, legislation can be passed in a special session, but only if the subject is placed there by the Texas Governor. Governor Abbott is a fervant Texas fan and likely has been in on this move from the start. He has a $55 dollar political warchest and is basically immune from pressure. Even if he was strongarmed some way to place it on the call, the House Speaker is also a Texas Ex and would never allow anti-Texas legislation to go to the floor for a vote. So they can bluster, but have little recourse legislatively.

I think the ACC should reach out to Penn St, West Virginia, Ohio St., and maybe Vandy? That would pretty much lock up the entire east coast…make the ACC have at least a fighting chance against the SEC…give the SEC something to think about if losing Vandy means much. Vandy has always seemed like more of an ACC natural anyway. They would need to have some idea as to conference payouts.

All this would create havoc in the Big 10, losing Ohio St and Penn St. Have I lost my mind?

I think the ACC should reach out to Penn St, West Virginia, Ohio St., and maybe Vandy? That would pretty much lock up the entire east coast…make the ACC have at least a fighting chance against the SEC…give the SEC something to think about if losing Vandy means much. Vandy has always seemed like more of an ACC natural anyway. They would need to have some idea as to conference payouts.

All this would create havoc in the Big 10, losing Ohio St and Penn St. Have I lost my mind?
Could see the ACC going after Vandy and even Kentucky, but they aren't naive enough to go after TOSU or PSU as the ACC can't match the BTAA funding.

This would be like Bobby CRemins

Reactions: 92Pony
I don't know about the Ok legislature, OU has a tough road. But in Texas, this was timed perfectly. The Legislature is out of session as of May and won't be back until January 10, 2023. I expect by then the Big 12 will be defunct and Texas already playing in the SEC. Sure, legislation can be passed in a special session, but only if the subject is placed there by the Texas Governor. Governor Abbott is a fervant Texas fan and likely has been in on this move from the start. He has a $55 dollar political warchest and is basically immune from pressure. Even if he was strongarmed some way to place it on the call, the House Speaker is also a Texas Ex and would never allow anti-Texas legislation to go to the floor for a vote. So they can bluster, but have little recourse legislatively.
So what makes or made Oklahoma think they could pull this off?

So what makes or made Oklahoma think they could pull this off?
Copied from another teams board:

The state of Oklahoma law is very clear on this issue.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/20...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

While realignment a decade ago would have brought Oklahoma State along with the Sooners to the Pacific Athletic Conference, a move to the SEC hold no guarantees for the Cowboys.

From the Athletic’s Jason Kersey, the two schools are governed by a separate board of regents, and the Oklahoma Legislature holds no authority to keep the schools in the same conference (subscription).

As news broke about Oklahoma’s possible desire to move to the SEC, a common misunderstanding resurfaced on social media regarding the Oklahoma state legislature and its role. The Oklahoma state legislature holds no authority regarding the athletics conference of state schools. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University are governed independently by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents and the OSU/A&M Board of Regents, respectively. – Kersey

The University of Oklahoma has the right to look out for itself as the future of college football evolves.

Copied from another teams board:

The state of Oklahoma law is very clear on this issue.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/20...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

While realignment a decade ago would have brought Oklahoma State along with the Sooners to the Pacific Athletic Conference, a move to the SEC hold no guarantees for the Cowboys.

From the Athletic’s Jason Kersey, the two schools are governed by a separate board of regents, and the Oklahoma Legislature holds no authority to keep the schools in the same conference (subscription).

As news broke about Oklahoma’s possible desire to move to the SEC, a common misunderstanding resurfaced on social media regarding the Oklahoma state legislature and its role. The Oklahoma state legislature holds no authority regarding the athletics conference of state schools. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University are governed independently by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents and the OSU/A&M Board of Regents, respectively. – Kersey

The University of Oklahoma has the right to look out for itself as the future of college football evolves.
Very good information. It dispels a lot of misapprehension.

Pac 12 possibly

Nobody is choosing the ACC over the SEC. Too much money in the SEC. Just invite OSU, UM, PSU and Southern Cal and revolt from the NCAA.

• Haha
Nobody is choosing the ACC over the SEC. Too much money in the SEC. Just invite OSU, UM, PSU and Southern Cal and revolt from the NCAA.
B1G schools are NOT going anywhere period. For all of you who don't know, the Big Ten is one of a few conferences that is every bit as much an academic conference as it is an athletic one, if not moreso. The BTAA controls around $10B in research monies that its member schools have access to....that is B as in BILLIONS. The SEC can't even fathom to touch that kind of money.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
The ACC needs to do whatever keeps Clemson’s 2nd stringers on the bench for most of a ball game. They have the best current setup of anyone.

B1G schools are NOT going anywhere period. For all of you who don't know, the Big Ten is one of a few conferences that is every bit as much an academic conference as it is an athletic one, if not moreso. The BTAA controls around $10B in research monies that its member schools have access to....that is B as in BILLIONS. The SEC can't even fathom to touch that kind of money.
The academic endowment money for certain schools is mind boggling. Harvard has around $50 Billion in endowments by itself. $50 Billion. That's crazy.

The BTAA controls around $10B in research monies that its member schools have access to....that is B as in BILLIONS. The SEC can't even fathom to touch that kind of money.
Can they use that money however they see fit? For example can they use funds to transform the dormitories into penthouses ?

The academic endowment money for certain schools is mind boggling. Harvard has around $50 Billion in endowments by itself. $50 Billion. That's crazy.
I think the Ivy League is about the only conference that can compete with the BTAA on research monies that the member schools have access to. Think I read where the ACC has a much smaller version of the BTAA.

You are right, the endowments at many of those schools is unbelievable, including the public universities in the Big Ten.

It never ceases to amaze me how some think that being in the SEC athletic conference is just the end all to all financial problems.
As you said not one single B1G school would consider, in the most fleeting of moments think of leaving to join the SEC.
There is a WHOLE LOT MORE monies than just the athletic dept. Just ask the Ivy League or the University of Chicago.
(and someone just got butt hurt in 3, 2, 1 )

Last edited:
Close, but the Harvard endowment as of 2020 is 41.9 BILLION.

I read one report that stated Oklahoma State may get an invitation to the BIG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT