ADVERTISEMENT

ACC contacts OU, Texas and Oklahoma State

I would think that is more wishful thinking. OSU doesn't even have the academic credentials, much less an AAU designation....UND at least has the academic credentials.
I do know Kansas and Iowa St are members of the AAU. UK basketball revenue is quite substantial which would make them an attractive acquisition. ISU on the hand would have to deal with, and I'm assuming here, opposition from Iowa.

Reactions: rogue cock
I do know Kansas and Iowa St are members of the AAU. UK basketball revenue is quite substantial which would make them an attractive acquisition. ISU on the hand would have to deal with, and I'm assuming here, opposition from Iowa.
I agree. I am waiting to see if Kevin Warren finally realizes that he is the Big Ten commissioner and grows a spine and decides to go after TAMU....in addition to Kansas. Delaney would not have hesitated.

I would think that is more wishful thinking. OSU doesn't even have the academic credentials, much less an AAU designation....UND at least has the academic credentials.
Your going off current rules and have no idea what the schools and commissioners are willing to do. I hear what you are saying and it makes since but they are not happy with their commissioner right now and PSU talked about going to the ACC just a few years ago. I don’t think all that stuff is “concrete” as you make it sound. A simple google search will show you where PSU to the ACC ten years ago was a legit concern for the B1G.

Your going off current rules and have no idea what the schools and commissioners are willing to do. I hear what you are saying and it makes since but they are not happy with their commissioner right now and PSU talked about going to the ACC just a few years ago. I don’t think all that stuff is “concrete” as you make it sound. A simple google search will show you where PSU to the ACC ten years ago was a legit concern for the B1G.
You could be right, but it would mean the B1G going against everything it has stood for since shortly after its founding. They are pretty darned proud of their academic standing.

I agree. I am waiting to see if Kevin Warren finally realizes that he is the Big Ten commissioner and grows a spine and decides to go after TAMU....in addition to Kansas. Delaney would not have hesitated.
Wow, well that is something I did not consider. That would certainly turn an already chaotic situation into a full blown melee. Epic.

Reactions: rogue cock
It would literally be the first time the Big Ten has offered a non-AAU school. Without OU or Texas, Oklahoma State is not that attractive.

I read it in an article, I will see if I can find it again. The article didn't say for sure Oklahoma State would get an invitation but stated it was within the realm of possibility.

These are different times, the article stated it would be good for the BIG and Oklahoma State as well.

I read it in an article, I will see if I can find it again. The article didn't say for sure Oklahoma State would get an invitation but stated it was within the realm of possibility.

These are different times, the article stated it would be good for the BIG and Oklahoma State as well.
I am not sure the Big Ten realizes it is different times, and they husband that research consortium so closely, I suspect any offer would be for a "junior partnership" that doesn't fully share revenue for an initial period of time and may not have full Big Ten research consortium participation.

So what makes or made Oklahoma think they could pull this off?

There argument is that Texas is leaving with or without them, and the Big 12 is effectively dead but hasn't fallen over yet. Kansas is negotiating for the Big Ten. So it isn't like OU is leaving the Big 12, it is a sinking ship and the SEC offer is the only life preserver they have a chance for. They don't have any way on their own to save the Big 12, so does the Legislature want both state universities to sink, or only one?

It would literally be the first time the Big Ten has offered a non-AAU school. Without OU or Texas, Oklahoma State is not that attractive.
I realize that money takes priority, Though money does not buy happiness, it does buy vacations, therapy, adequate medical care and not having to worry about whether or not you'll have the money to pay rent and eat every month. That being said, I would think that the culture of the SEC is more like that of Texas and Oklahoma, than is the Big 10.

I realize that money takes priority, Though money does not buy happiness, it does buy vacations, therapy, adequate medical care and not having to worry about whether or not you'll have the money to pay rent and eat every month. That being said, I would think that the culture of the SEC is more like that of Texas and Oklahoma, than is the Big 10.
I think that is certainly the case in terms of the fan-bases.

If the SEC had to swallow Oklahoma State to get Oklahoma and Texas, they'd need one more team. Who would they bring in: Clemson, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Louisville? Anyone

Too little. Too late. Dollar short. Texas and Ok to SEC is a done deal. Have been talking and planning this for months. This would be like setting the clock back to Dec, 2020 which has been reported as the start of talks with the SEC. Why would Texas and Ok want to join a one pony league that doesn't really care about FB? Playing in stadiums where fans, if they even show up, yawn all the way thru a game in stadiums that hold 40 to 50,000 and that's full capacity. As opposed to the SEC of 80 to 100,000 fans who are gonna be full throated for an A&M, Texas, or Ok game or put Bama in place of A&M or LSU or......................
The irony is that the ACC was founded in 1953 with football in mind. The basketball coaches of the 7 SoCon members who left to form the ACC were barely, if at all, consulted on this move.

Reactions: jerryusc
If the SEC had to swallow Oklahoma State to get Oklahoma and Texas, they'd need one more team. Who would they bring in: Clemson, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Louisville? Anyone
I hope not Baylor. They are the reigning NCAA basketball champs and do well on the women's side too. I am not sure of West Virginia's attraction but they are a flagship state school. Tx Tech or Houston would jump at the chance, but would really water down the quality, a lot more than Oklahoma State whose football under Gundy has always been consistently good. Poach a ACC team like Virginia or someone else?

WVU makes the most sense and would be much easier to get. Rabid fan base, great basketball program, beautiful area and solid market.

Va Tech would be a distant 2.

The rest are instate schools. We need to keep that bond if possible.

Reactions: jerryusc
The Big Ten has been reluctant to offer non AAU schools, so what if Oklahoma State doesn't get a Big Ten offer? I think Oklahoma State may fair poorly in this. Kansas probably finds a resting spot there, but I doubt Oklahoma State.
I was a little surprised to see clemmy isnt on that list. Texas A&M is on the list.

Surprised to see Clemson isn't on what list? The Big Ten's? Clemson has the same issue as Okie State.....they are not a member of the AAU.
Surprised to see Texas A&M is on the AAU list, but clemmy isnt. A&M and clemmy are a lot alike. Both are engineering schools, both once were military schools, both are land grant schools.

Surprised to see Texas A&M is on the AAU list, but clemmy isnt. A&M and clemmy are a lot alike. Both are engineering schools, both once were military schools, both are land grant schools.
Clemson is not considered a top research university and doesn't draw the research dollars. TAMU does. The Big Ten is a much, if not moreso, an academic conference as an athletic one....and a member school has to pull it's own weight in bringing research monies to the conference.

What two teams did the ACC have in the 2020 college football playoffs? Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, and Ohio State were in the playoffs in 2020.
That team who player Alabama in the semi-finals must have got a hell of a deal on blue and gold uniforms. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT