ADVERTISEMENT

ACC vs SEC

USCBIRDS

Oct 9, 2006
Just so you all know, this first weekend doesn’t count, for the ACC apologists on this forum. The only thing that counts is rivalry weekend, and the Bowl Head-to-Heads...when the #2 ACC team plays against the #10 SEC team (just to make it fair). And so on...

I’ll be glad when our fans admit kicking clemson azz is number one on the list Forget conference talk
I'll take an SEC championship with a loss to Clemtech 10 out of 10 times. Would rather win both, but if I had to pick, SEC title all the way and it's not even close.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I’m with the OP. When the Acc plays the SEC. it matters. It might not to you , but it does matter.

I just hate the real tigers took the foot off the gas. They were getting ready to embarrass Miami.

But in fairness to the ACC. They always get teams propped up in the early poles. It helps the conference overall RPI.

Maimi has now lost their last 4 games. They should be below us in the polls. They are not a top 3-5 team in the Acc. Should’ve never been that high. It was a tv / hype move.

Reactions: Scuba_do
I live in Atlanta, in the heart of the SEC / ACC. Gamecock fans get a bad rap for being huge SEC homers. To clarify, the entire SEC is the same. Watched the []_[] vs LSU last night with a UGA buddy. He pulled for LSU and was definitely into the conference pride. I have UF / UT / Auburn / Bama friends that all are the same. It’s amazing the contrast between conferences. I hate almost all the ACC teams. Many in ACC have a hard time pulling for each other. I pulled for LSU last night. Cane fans are the worst. Ultimately, I only care about Clemson. That’s ok. It’s also ok if you love your conference and want to see it do well. It’s ok if we make fun of that. It’s ok if you make fun of our conference. It’s a rivalry.

I'll be glad when our program gets to the point that our fans don't have to argue about how good our conference is...

Yes. But when a tater brings up their array of conference crowns and you know it’s debatable if they would even have 1 SEC title this decade(best of their history), it’s really all you got.

Reactions: funktavious
Yes. But when a tater brings up their array of conference crowns and you know it’s debatable if they would even have 1 SEC title this decade(best of their history), it’s really all you got.
This has a lot to do with it. Clemson fans like to brag about their conference titles and we like to point out that their conference isn't all that tough. When an SEC team beats an ACC team, it validates our argument that Clemson plays in a crappy conference. Playing in a stronger conference doesn't necessarily make us a better team but we do play tougher competition.

I don’t get why everyone thinks we shouldn’t pull for the SEC when the rest of the country is pulling against the SEC, especially when their team plays a team from the SEC. The nation of football is collectively united in their hate for the best conference in the country. If for no other reason than just watching the haters be upset, I’ll keep pulling for the conference to beat out of conference opponents.

Syracuse?? How does a team not drop like a rock after loosing to a really bad team.

#fakepolls
#fakenews
#midgetconferenceneedshelp

Whats wrong with you ?
tenor.gif

I suppose it gives a certain type of bragging rights when a conference team one is aligned with beats a team from another conference. But I rarely find myself pulling for other conference teams. USC has to recruit against them. Them winning only promotes their program and makes recruiting against them more difficult. I hope they all go in the tank so USC can reap the benefits. I always hear different school fan bases chanting SEC-SEC. But rarely do I hear it from the Alabama crowd. Guess they feel they dont need other conference accomplishments to elevate their opinions about their status. That chant almost implies that while we know we can't be the top dog that we are better than your school because we play in the conference that has a team, or other teams, that can beat you. Just has never made sense to me. I hope Georgia, UF, UT, etc., lose every week. And lose embarrassingly.

Last edited:
As long as clemson is good, screw the rest of the ACC. They don’t pass out trophys for
Playing the toughest schedule.
You feel that way now, but wait till a one loss acc champ gets omitted from the playoffs in favor of a team who played a tougher schedule. Maybe then you'll hope your fellow conference members will do a better job in defending the hype. I will say this, Clemson is wise to be beefing up their ooc schedule.

You feel that way now, but wait till a one loss acc champ gets omitted from the playoffs in favor of a team who played a tougher schedule. Maybe then you'll hope your fellow conference members will do a better job in defending the hype. I will say this, Clemson is wise to be beefing up their ooc schedule.
Which is probably a reason we schedule a little tougher out of conference.

I'll take an SEC championship with a loss to Clemtech 10 out of 10 times. Would rather win both, but if I had to pick, SEC title all the way and it's not even close.
If we ever get to that point, what will that say about the SEC?

I doubt Clemson would want to play UGA, Auburn, or Bama this year during the regular season.

Sure they would, that is why Clemaon played Auburn last year, is playing Texas A&M this year and next, and just scheduled a neutral site game with Georgia. Clemson also plays Notre Dame after Texas A&M. Poo poo on the ACC all you want, but you can't fault Clemson scheduling as tough as possible.

Also, as for the original post about week one ACC vs SEC, the majority of those are SEC WEST teams and in some cases a top West team playing a mid-lower level ACC team, Bama vs. Louisville is a perfect example this year. Remember that the SEC EAST was the lowest ranked division of all Power 5 conferences last year, even with Georgia making the title game. SEC in recent years needs to be clarified as West or East because they are vastly different levels of competition. I think that will change in the future, but for the past several years the East has been historically down.

Reactions: FJRTiger
There were years where on our schedule we played 10 teams that played in bowl games. Has Clemson ever played anywhere close to that?

Last edited:
If we ever get to that point, what will that say about the SEC?
Well, during our 5-peat they were still winning ACC Championships and we only got to the SEC Championship game once during that time and lost bad. For 5 years we were better than every team in the ACC and we only managed 1 showing in the SEC Conference Championship game.

There were years where on our schedule we played 10 teams that played in bowl games. Has Clemson ever played anywhere close to that?

When was that? Certainly wasn't recently. That means every team you played, except your two in-state cupcakes, were bowl teams. That means even Vandy, Missouri, TN and Kentucky.

I highly doubt Clemson has ever played 10 bowl teams in one season, but has probably been close in recent years as the ACC has sent a lot of teams to bowls. They had 12 teams in the 2016-17 bowl season and went 9-3. If you go beyond the regular season that year, Clemson probably got close due to the extra playoff games.

***edit: You peaked my curiosity so I looked it up. Clemson played 10 bowl teams in the 2016 regular season and 13 bowl teams if you count the ACC Championship, the CFP semifinal against Ohio State and the National Championship against Alabama. The only team Clemaon lost to that year was Pittsburgh, who was a bowl team.

Last edited:
When was that? Certainly wasn't recently. That means every team you played, except your two in-state cupcakes, were bowl teams. That means even Vandy, Missouri, TN and Kentucky.

I highly doubt Clemson has ever played 10 bowl teams in one season, but has probably been close in recent years as the ACC has sent a lot of teams to bowls. They had 12 teams in the 2016-17 bowl season and went 9-3. If you go beyond the regular season that year, Clemson probably got close due to the extra playoff games.

***edit: You peaked my curiosity so I looked it up. Clemson played 10 bowl teams in the 2016 regular season and 13 bowl teams if you count the ACC Championship, the CFP semifinal against Ohio State and the National Championship against Alabama. The only team Clemaon lost to that year was Pittsburgh, who was a bowl team.

I’m not going to research this again, but I recall it happening at the time. I just cannot recall the year. Having said that, I’m sure we’ve played 8-10 most years in the SEC, and I’m talking about regular season games.

Tim Bouret use to keep a stat of how many consecitive victories Clemson had over unranked opponents and Clemson was proud of it. Go figure.

Thankfully Pitt and Syracuse stopped the desperate bragging on that unbelievable nonsense.

ABC ran a similar graphic during the Bama Louisville game the other night. Pretty common practice in those type games.

ABC ran a similar graphic during the Bama Louisville game the other night. Pretty common practice in those type games.
I guarantee you that Nick Saban or Alabama fans care or keep up with that statistic like Dabo and Clemson. ABC had to drift because of the blowout they were covering. WCCP brought up the statistic constantly. It was a trophy to them.

I guarantee you that Nick Saban or Alabama fans care or keep up with that statistic like Dabo and Clemson. ABC had to drift because of the blowout they were covering. WCCP brought up the statistic constantly. It was a trophy to them.

Could have been due to the fact, the media wouldnt let the "clemsoning" thing go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT