ADVERTISEMENT

According to GridironNow, Jacksonville offered to host our game...

Well after reading that this is rather disappointing. It would definitely have been better than an LSU home game

Jacksonville would have been a good choice before giving LSU the home game. The SEC will not do anything to compensate us for moving the game.

Given the way this season is going down, might as well have a home game in the Bayou. My Orioles played a series in Tampa this year as the home team during the weekend following the Baltimore riots. Perhaps we can get a generic presentation without LSU hype.

Probably said we will give you the revenue and concessions if you give us the home game to make up for their opener cancelled this year. And are we the home team considering what jerseys we wear?

LSU is giving us all the net revenues from the ticket sales and concessions. Don't think Jacksonville was willing to do that...so it would have cost us a lot more.
I think Tanner and the rest figured they would make the choice that would piss off our fans the most just out of spite. I mean, why would he make the decision that is best for USC?

Do you really think the powers to be did not look at every option and chose the best they felt available? Do you know what the logistics for moving game to Jacksonville would have been? I bet Tanner and the decision makers did. There is a reason we are going to LSU and I think Coach Tanner and all those making the decisions probably have a little better idea of what it takes to make such a big change at such a late time.

For those of you that think this may affect the outcome of our game, really???? You think where we play LSU is going to factor into the final score?? We couldn't beat Kentucky at home, we struggled with UCF at home and you think home field would make a difference this week? Wow!!!

LSU is giving us all the net revenues from the ticket sales and concessions. Don't think Jacksonville was willing to do that...so it would have cost us a lot more.

If you know much about accounting we won't be getting much money back from LSU if any at all. They'll provide a list of quite a lot of "expenses" that they would have incurred with or without the game.

I think Tanner and the rest figured they would make the choice that would piss off our fans the most just out of spite. I mean, why would he make the decision that is best for USC?

Do you really think the powers to be did not look at every option and chose the best they felt available? Do you know what the logistics for moving game to Jacksonville would have been? I bet Tanner and the decision makers did. There is a reason we are going to LSU and I think Coach Tanner and all those making the decisions probably have a little better idea of what it takes to make such a big change at such a late time.

For those of you that think this may affect the outcome of our game, really???? You think where we play LSU is going to factor into the final score?? We couldn't beat Kentucky at home, we struggled with UCF at home and you think home field would make a difference this week? Wow!!!
???? Not sure if this was intended for me or not, but I happen to agree with you.

If you know much about accounting we won't be getting much money back from LSU if any at all. They'll provide a list of quite a lot of "expenses" that they would have incurred with or without the game.
Actually know quite a bit about accounting especially considering in addition to my CPA, I have an LL.M. in tax. Thanks for the lesson. Now tell us how much you think we will get with all your knowledge.

Reactions: kylebw
???? Not sure if this was intended for me or not, but I happen to agree with you.
Just intended for all those thinking Coach Tanner and others are screwing up. They make it sound like they are doing this just to piss off fans.

BTW, some of our players would be better off trying to get better instead of getting on social media tell admin they better refund money to ticket holders for making change. Not sure with some of effort we've seen that anyone needs to be putting an ultimatum to admin.

Actually know quite a bit about accounting especially considering in addition to my CPA, I have an LL.M. in tax. Thanks for the lesson. Now tell us how much you think we will get with all your knowledge.

We won't get the 10 million+ we would have landed. A lot of it depends on whether or not we issue refunds on the tickets or not. If we do then we lose 5 or 6 million dollars minimum. The city of Columbia loses millions. The bars, gift shops, restaurants, convenient stores, parking lots, etc all combined will loses millions of dollars (although some of the bars might actually make more with the locals/students watching there instead of going to the game). LSU will charge us for prepping the field, they'll charge us for everything involved in the traffic logistics, for use of the facilities, the employees working the game, etc, etc, etc. There will end up being an extremely long list of expenses LSU will claim are involved in their undertaking of this game.

It's about a whole lot more than that though. Excluding tickets/concessions there's probably a thousand or more employees that work our games that won't be getting paid. Close by businesses that depend on our home games for a lot of their revenue. Millions of dollars will be spent in LA instead of our state and with being a tax guy I'm sure you can see (especially in a time like this) how much it hurts to lose all of those tax dollars. Local alcohol distributors will lose around a million bucks alone.

What are you trying to rationalize?
Home > Neutral > Away.......... Always... how good a team doesn't matter in the slightest.

We won't get the 10 million+ we would have landed. A lot of it depends on whether or not we issue refunds on the tickets or not. If we do then we lose 5 or 6 million dollars minimum. The city of Columbia loses millions. The bars, gift shops, restaurants, convenient stores, parking lots, etc all combined will loses millions of dollars (although some of the bars might actually make more with the locals/students watching there instead of going to the game). LSU will charge us for prepping the field, they'll charge us for everything involved in the traffic logistics, for use of the facilities, the employees working the game, etc, etc, etc. There will end up being an extremely long list of expenses LSU will claim are involved in their undertaking of this game.

It's about a whole lot more than that though. Excluding tickets/concessions there's probably a thousand or more employees that work our games that won't be getting paid. Close by businesses that depend on our home games for a lot of their revenue. Millions of dollars will be spent in LA instead of our state and with being a tax guy I'm sure you can see (especially in a time like this) how much it hurts to lose all of those tax dollars. Local alcohol distributors will lose around a million bucks alone.
I have seen a few people post about the loss of revenue to small businesses, but honestly how many of those businesses are even able to open (whether due to inventory, lack of potable water, etc.)? Also, none of us as of yet know what deal was struck with LSU. You listed a lot of indirect costs but what if they are only deducting direct costs? Fact is, no one knows anything at this point and everyone wants to criticize the decision based on pure speculation.

Reactions: vehemon
You actually think they need more of an advantage than they already have? As for me, No...I think LSU is actually trying to help an SEC member school who is going through unprecedented devastation.

I don't think anyone disagrees that LSU is doing something nice to host the game.

Of course I don't think they 'need' more of an advantage than they already have. I'm simply stating facts. It was already going to be tough to play them at Columbia. It puts our chances of winning @LSU even lower. Home field advantage does that. This doesn't have any correlation of the discussion of 'how nice it is for them to host it for us'. There are simply bonuses for them to have it in BR. Last minute plans for Gamecock fans to travel to BR will be impossible/impractical. With how LSU's season is going so far, their fan base will be hungry to have any home game.

Opening spread was +13 South Carolina... That's shot up to +19.5 since the venue change announcement.

Are you really serious? The City Of Columbia, in fact, the State of South Carolina pretty much as a whole has about all they can deal with at the moment.

So LSU reaps a few bucks because we can't deal with the event due to one of the largest natural disasters to hit the area in decades if not centuries.

You do understand you can't even get down I-95 at the moment from Charleston to Florence?

People in Columbia are boiling water but yeah lets bring in 80K more people for a football game and add more to what all everyone out there is dealing with so YOU WON"T BE PISSED OFF!

I think people are more worried about the distance, you know because they did pay money to see a football game

I have seen a few people post about the loss of revenue to small businesses, but honestly how many of those businesses are even able to open (whether due to inventory, lack of potable water, etc.)? Also, none of us as of yet know what deal was struck with LSU. You listed a lot of indirect costs but what if they are only deducting direct costs? Fact is, no one knows anything at this point and everyone wants to criticize the decision based on pure speculation.

Most businesses in Columbia are open. The flood damage was bad in localized areas; probably 95% of Columbia, especially downtown Columbia, is normal.

Most businesses in Columbia are open. The flood damage was bad in localized areas; probably 95% of Columbia, especially downtown Columbia, is normal.
The city's water situation seems to be more dire, though. State/county employees were called into work today but were told not to report tomorrow in order for the city to conserve water. And most schools have closed for the rest of the week.

How many would have gone to any of the other sites? Other than at LSU the team would have been playing in front of 25-30 thousand. At least at LSU there will be a pretty full house. We had all off season to fill up Panther's stadium and the attendance was dreadful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT