ADVERTISEMENT

Adams probably not starting due to back pain

Cock-Vader

Jun 17, 2010
According to Spurrier's post-practice comments our starting TE will be a guy who walked on in July and "doesn't know where he's going half of the time". (Spurrier's words). I'm far from a doom and gloomer but... really?

Yep its a big concern hopefully Adams can try to make a go of it.

After all the success we have had, how can we have so little depth as so many postions?

Yep its a big concern hopefully Adams can try to make a go of it.

I just don't understand how we are THAT thin... I know that TE is a difficult position to recruit but our best option being a walk-on who wasn't on the team 2 months ago is a little hard to stomach. No offense to the kid, I mean he must have played his tail off but...

Jared Cook, Justice Cunningham, Busta Anderson and another potential NFL'er in Adams but we may end up starting a walk-on. What is left to say?

KC Crosby was highly recruited. Not sure why he is not starting if Adams can't go

TE in question is Hayden Hurst (hope I'm spelling that correctly). Maybe it's just a motivational ploy for Crosby but it seems a little late in the game for that.

The walk on is a walk on because he played 3/4 years of minor league baseball. ....not talent. I believe he had football offers. I kinda like having a 22 yo starter. If he has beaten out the others he must be ok.....

I guess most of you don't really know much about college ball, or the effects Title IX have had on college sports.
Add in there reduced scholarships due to the hotel acting like an apartment complex issue. I'll minimize that effect which makes it worse.

So, there are 85 kids to cover 24 positions. That's 3.5 players per position.
Split that over having 1 kid per position per recruiting year. That's .88 players per year per position.

At TE, we have a Sr., a sophomore (actually RFr), and then 2 FR. 4 players when you're allowed 3.52 players at that spot. That's not perfect, but it's not too bad either.
In 2013, we had 21 recruits make it in. None were WRs nor TEs. We had some other holes to fill, I suppose. I don't remember the details of that class.

Defections for whatever the reason have a substantial effect on scholarship distribution. We've had some turnover in coaches and some kids that just didn't develop for whatever the reason. The reality is that we can't bring in a ton of recruits each year. We can't have 2 or 3 players every year at every position. The scholarships are very limited these days.

Taking shots at our coaches for that is pretty juvenile. It's a problem every team in America faces. LSU, Alabama, Georgia...all have uneven classes at some positions. It's part of the college football reality.

Reactions: eahjr and USC-1
I guess most of you don't really know much about college ball, or the effects Title IX have had on college sports.
Add in there reduced scholarships due to the hotel acting like an apartment complex issue. I'll minimize that effect which makes it worse.

Split that over having 1 kid per position per recruiting year. That's .88 players per year per position.

At TE, we have a Sr., a sophomore (actually RFr), and then 2 FR. 4 players when you're allowed 3.52 players at that spot. That's not perfect, but it's not too bad either.
In 2013, we had 21 recruits make it in. None were WRs nor TEs. We had some other holes to fill, I suppose. I don't remember the details of that class.

Defections for whatever the reason have a substantial effect on scholarship distribution. We've had some turnover in coaches and some kids that just didn't develop for whatever the reason. The reality is that we can't bring in a ton of recruits each year. We can't have 2 or 3 players every year at every position. The scholarships are very limited these days.

Taking shots at our coaches for that is pretty juvenile. It's a problem every team in America faces. LSU, Alabama, Georgia...all have uneven classes at some positions. It's part of the college football reality.

True. But the kids are smart. Why does it take longer for our kids to know where they are going on the field?

I am not the least bit worried about the tight end position. We are deep there, albeit young. Spurrier says they are all good players.

Jared Cook, Justice Cunningham, Busta Anderson and another potential NFL'er in Adams but we may end up starting a walk-on. What is left to say?
That Adams is hurt? That is about the only conclusion I can draw from that statement..

Mmmm . . . on the one hand, the HBC's lamenting about the inexperienced players at TE will give reason for UNcarolina's DC to put pressure on that position - that could be bad for us; on the other hand, if whomever plays at TE proves to be a very able and effective choice - goodbye Tar Holes.

According to Spurrier's post-practice comments our starting TE will be a guy who walked on in July and "doesn't know where he's going half of the time". (Spurrier's words). I'm far from a doom and gloomer but... really?
First, let's get the injuries straight: Adams is (probably) out with a hamsting, and Jonathan Walton might not play because of back pain.

Hamstrings are tricky, so that is a concern. Also, Walton is our hardest hitting LB according to the players. We are deep at LB, so I'm not too concerned for the opener. Just hope it's not a "lingering injury".

I just don't understand how we are THAT thin... I know that TE is a difficult position to recruit but our best option being a walk-on who wasn't on the team 2 months ago is a little hard to stomach. No offense to the kid, I mean he must have played his tail off but...

FIRE CALVI!!!!

Who took a shot at the coaches? Spurrier took a shot at the player.

Hurst is not the only option, as Spurrier clearly said that all the guys will get some time if Adams can't go. To include Markway, August, and Hurst. He also said all these guys "will play their asses off". Seriously, he said that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT