ADVERTISEMENT

Adding to the worst ever thread: what is the dumbest play call you've ever seen Carolina make

Im going to one that bothered me as they did it when i was at Clemson in 2000 and still bothers me.

After the Gardner catch with 7 seconds left, Clemson spiked the ball and Hunt the freshman kicker was coming in, who was a little shakey in prior games, and Clemson was out of timeouts. Field had just flipped

We call a timeout because Holtz has a kick block idea and wants a certain package, his idea did not work, and they get a extra 30 seconds or whatever to calm down, get the correct unit on, get the kickers footing set, think through.

In that situation a time out only helped them and the kicker, you want them to rush on and run out of time get a penalty or rush a kick and screw up.

Stupid call for a TO when they were out of them in that situation.

This makes me want to puke.. Didn't realize we called TO/they were out.

Reactions: Gradstudent
This makes me want to puke.. Didn't realize we called TO/they were out.

Yes they used their last timeout on the play before the pass to Gardner, as Cecil Caldwell made a great hustle play to get Dantzler to trip up before he went out of bounds on a little scramble and they had to burn it.

That game haunts me, cold day, in the upper deck at that thing they play in, me and my buddy rode back to Columbia and didn't say a word the whole trip, so pissed off.

Im going to one that bothered me as they did it when i was at Clemson in 2000 and still bothers me.

After the Gardner catch with 7 seconds left, Clemson spiked the ball and Hunt the freshman kicker was coming in, who was a little shakey in prior games, and Clemson was out of timeouts. Field had just flipped

We call a timeout because Holtz has a kick block idea and wants a certain package, his idea did not work, and they get a extra 30 seconds or whatever to calm down, get the correct unit on, get the kickers footing set, think through.

In that situation a time out only helped them and the kicker, you want them to rush on and run out of time get a penalty or rush a kick and screw up.

Stupid call for a TO when they were out of them in that situation.

I still think if we tackle Gardner on the play and take the 15 yard penalty then we would have seen a Jad Dean like kick.

50 Yarders with the game on the line are rarely made. 25 yarders are a different story

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Yes they used their last timeout on the play before the pass to Gardner, as Cecil Caldwell made a great hustle play to get Dantzler to trip up before he went out of bounds on a little scramble and they had to burn it.

That game haunts me, cold day, in the upper deck at that thing they play in, me and my buddy rode back to Columbia and didn't say a word the whole trip, so pissed off.
We were in the lower deck. Freezing and raining, miserable day. We high tailed it out of there after the pushoff play. Heard the stadium erupt as we were getting in our car. Probably the first ones outta there lol. Long ride home.

Reactions: Gradstudent
I still think if we tackle Gardner on the play and take the 15 yard penalty then we would have seen a Jad Dean like kick.

50 Yarders with the game on the line are rarely made. 25 yarders are a different story

He would of been hard to tackle on purpose on that play as he was a big physical receiver who was pushing off. Goodman absolutely deflects that ball without the push off, and the context of the game it should of been called as the game was being called touchy all day long, unreal blown call by idiotic SEC crew

I have never seen the last pic until today look at Faison's eyes! Uh Oh

B9315275379Z.1_20141126194316_000+GFK98CJDN.1-0.jpg

11-27a.jpg

AR-605163502.jpg

that is what is maddening about that play. they had called offensive pass interference on kelly on similar play earlier in the game.

When Spurrier was coach we would have 4th and 1 and bring in a wildcat QB and the whole world knew we were gonna run it and it very seldom ever worked. He did that a bunch of times.
Shaw lined up under center more times than not in those situations, or they ran the quick option play which worked on a 90% clip.

Whether it cost us the game or not; I was not there for it but I would imagine that botched gadget play fat Brad called in '97 vs the taters with us up 14-6 has to be a strong candidate for #1.
Well, we were driving inside the 30 yard line. Instead of adding to our lead we turned it over and it led to their cutting the score to 14-13 at the half. Troy Hambrick was having a huge game up to that point. He had over 100 yards in the first quarter. I recently went back and watched that game and Victor Penn was having a very good first half. Did he transfer out? I don't think he finished up at USC.
Nevermind. Just looked it up and he transferred to Central Florida.

Wasn't that like on our own 20??

Bingo!

Brad Scott vs Clemson. We had momentum but decided to throw across the field, a lateral while receiving the kickoff
It was some dumb shit and I think troy hambrick fumbled it and the Tigers went on to beat the crap out of us

I think you have a great play ('94) & a horrific play ('97) somehow mixed in together here.

Whichever dumbass D coordinator that had the Dline standing up and not in a stance against georgia several years ago!!
Was that Cosh?

Thompson.

In all seriousness, 3 straight fades to Alshon against Alabama in 2009 was frustrating as hell. Classic stubborn Spurrier

Also... Switchinng quarterbacks every play in 2008 (?) against Arkansas (?)
This is my pick. Loved SOS but the 3 straight fades, COME ON MAN that was just plain dumb (reminded me of the movie,"Tin Cup").:confused:o_O

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

I agree w/the OP on that gadget play. Had all the momentum in the world (I like gadget plays to turn the momentum or to break a gridlock). Other terrible calls that jump out at me were against the taters there in 1980. Asking Gary Harper to throw across the field. Just didn't have the arm strength (most college QBs didn't). Turned into "Willie Underwood Career Day". What was really troubling was that later, someone close to the program at the time said that a walk-on DB on the scout team that week sounded the alarm to the coaches. This walk-on supposedly told them the receivers were telegraphing the routes. Of course, you hear this kind of stuff (i.e.the scout team db sounding the alarm) after a disaster game, but I I was at the game & have no problem believing it!!

that is what is maddening about that play. they had called offensive pass interference on kelly on similar play earlier in the game.

Took a TD away from us by calling offensive pass interference against Brian Scott earlier in that game!!

Took a TD away from us by calling offensive pass interference against Brian Scott earlier in that game!!
That call was by Washington. He also gave Clemson a FG at the end of the 1st half. He waved off an OI call by another ref on a Gardner catch. He said the ball was tipped at the LOS but nobody was within a yard of the ball. So he gave them 6 pts and took 7 away from us and we lost by 2.

That call was by Washington. He also gave Clemson a FG at the end of the 1st half. He waved off an OI call by another ref on a Gardner catch. He said the ball was tipped at the LOS but nobody was within a yard of the ball. So he gave them 6 pts and took 7 away from us and we lost by 2.

Yep...and the trajectory of that pass suggested that, as you said, none of our guys would have come close to tipping it!!

@Gradstudent I guess tackle is the wrong word but rather run through him as Gardner had to stop to wait on the ball which seemed to have the hang time of a Colquitt punt.

Faisons eyes = Coach told you not to let them get behind you!

That crew should have been banned from college football for life. Horrible calls all game. When someone tells you an official does not win or lose games, ask them to explain this game. Usually there are 100 things that can win or lose a game, but when a ref swallows a whistle in that moment there's not time to recover from that mistake.

@Gradstudent I guess tackle is the wrong word but rather run through him as Gardner had to stop to wait on the ball which seemed to have the hang time of a Colquitt punt.

Faisons eyes = Coach told you not to let them get behind you!

That crew should have been banned from college football for life. Horrible calls all game. When someone tells you an official does not win or lose games, ask them to explain this game. Usually there are 100 things that can win or lose a game, but when a ref swallows a whistle in that moment there's not time to recover from that mistake.
Goodman not Faison.

ADVERTISEMENT