ADVERTISEMENT

After watching our offensive play calling the last 4 years...

StillCluckin

Sep 14, 2017
Beamer said. “At the end of the day you have to do what you have the personnel to do. And I have a feeling that we have a system that is multiple and flexible enough to get the ball to our playmakers.

Amen....

How many times during Muschump's era did you scream at the TV in disgust at our play calling ? Let's throw it to the same frickin receiver 80 times a game (Edwards, Smith). Lets run zero reverses (well they did use Dak one time last year in the Vandy game). Let's use zero imagination...

I'm looking forward to a staff that tries to utllize the talent we have to win games........not kill the clock with a 9 minute 4th quarter drive down by two TD's....not "slow it down" because we are up by two scores ie the last NC game...not make stupid mistakes against TN trying to kick a field goal when you need a TD with time running out....

It would be hard to not be more creative than Roper, McClendon and Bobo.
I believe Muschamp's Defensive Coordinator mentality was to protect his defense. I believe Beamer learned a lot about offense by being at Oklahoma under Lincoln Riley. The question in my mind is do we have the QB to execute?

I believe Muschamp's Defensive Coordinator mentality was to protect his defense. I believe Beamer learned a lot about offense by being at Oklahoma under Lincoln Riley. The question in my mind is do we have the QB to execute?
This is why I was against BMac's hiring from the start. He was someone Muschamp knew was undeserving and therefore could be kept under his ultra-conservative thumb.

Imagine being so defeatist you’re trying to win the pre season instead of actual football games.
Because we haven’t got to the actual games yet, it’s still the pre season.

I truly believe most of the fanbase is optimistic, interested in seeing how this new staff and apparent culture change can improve the team.

A smaller percentage of the fanbase is pessimistic, and I can certainly understand that sentiment.

But you and a handful of posters here are just overwhelmingly negative, choosing to bitch and moan with every post. It’s sad and pathetic.

Because we haven’t got to the actual games yet, it’s still the pre season.

I truly believe most of the fanbase is optimistic, interested in seeing how this new staff and apparent culture change can improve the team.

A smaller percentage of the fanbase is pessimistic, and I can certainly understand that sentiment.

But you and a handful of posters here are just overwhelmingly negative, choosing to bitch and moan with every post. It’s sad and pathetic.
Your last line really hits the nail on the head. You’re equating a wait and see approach which is logical and reasonable to moaning and being negative.

Do you not understand the issue with that?

Your last line really hits the nail on the head. You’re equating a wait and see approach which is logical and reasonable to moaning and being negative.

Do you not understand the issue with that?
No he is right, you are a whiner and a complainer. Why dont you use a wait and see approach instead of being a wet blanket every freaking day of your life.

That’s a solid question. I think Muschamp’s other problem is he never had any quality assistants on the offensive side of the ball and the one guy who had actually had success was left with RBs and TEs.

Roper was under Cutcliff and was simply Cutcliff’s conduit. Just because you can do what someone else says doesn’t mean you understand why it’s being done.

BMac wasn’t even a good WR coach must less an OC. His claim to fame was taking 5 star guys and getting them to the NFL. That doesn’t take much effort and when you can’t get 5 star guys it’s useless.

Wolford is a terrible oline coach. He depends on gimmicks because he doesn’t understand technique. He’s moved around a ton because he’s always trying to get out before people realize he’s lost.

Bobo like BMac padded his resume with talk about how guys who were the tipped ranked QBs in the class had success. The QB position can be iffy but the rest of the talent in Georgia certainly made that an easier prospect.

Dan Werner and Bobby Bentley are the only two guys he had with a real proven track record of offensive success and neither one were allowed to potentially have success.

That’s a solid question. I think Muschamp’s other problem is he never had any quality assistants on the offensive side of the ball and the one guy who had actually had success was left with RBs and TEs.

Roper was under Cutcliff and was simply Cutcliff’s conduit. Just because you can do what someone else says doesn’t mean you understand why it’s being done.

BMac wasn’t even a good WR coach must less an OC. His claim to fame was taking 5 star guys and getting them to the NFL. That doesn’t take much effort and when you can’t get 5 star guys it’s useless.

Wolford is a terrible oline coach. He depends on gimmicks because he doesn’t understand technique. He’s moved around a ton because he’s always trying to get out before people realize he’s lost.

Bobo like BMac padded his resume with talk about how guys who were the tipped ranked QBs in the class had success. The QB position can be iffy but the rest of the talent in Georgia certainly made that an easier prospect.

Dan Werner and Bobby Bentley are the only two guys he had with a real proven track record of offensive success and neither one were allowed to potentially have success.
Have to agree with you.

IMHO when Muschamp took over he should’ve made Bentley OC. Personally, I think one of the reasons he didn’t was they knew Jake was coming, which is why he brought in Roper.

Muschamp just kept tripping over himself, as you noted most of his assistants seemed to be square pegs he was trying to fit into a round hole.

Werner was a waste, like you it appeared to me he didn’t really have a settled role here. TRob was a good recruiter, but seemed over his head as a DC. The DB’s seemed to play tentative and were often out of position. BMac ‘s WR’s underperformed, and he was over his head as OC. Wolford’s claim to fame was recruiting a few guys that Elliott put into the NFL. I thought Tracy Rocker would bring some stability to the DL, but he proved himself to be just a burned out mercenary looking for a paycheck. Bobo actually did a pretty good job considering what he had to work with, but he bolted for a bigger payday.

Never seemed like the staff and players were on the same page, and some of that IMO was a lack of fire/desire with our staff...it almost seemed like they were treading water waiting on a better job. Several of them had “been there and done it” at more successful programs, they just didn’t seem to have the fire here.

I don’t think we’ll see that with this staff. I think they’re hungry, with something to prove, and seem to be very cohesive. That’s going to rub off on the players.

I just hope Beamer and staff can maintain that fire after a solid campaign. Our last coach, and to an extent SOS after ‘12 both thought, this is easy! And they slowly mailed it in….which is why we are in the wilderness now.
When he wins, we will see. But I believe we don’t have to worry, and 7-10 wins a year will be the norm…with outlier 11-12 win seasons.

Beamer said. “At the end of the day you have to do what you have the personnel to do. And I have a feeling that we have a system that is multiple and flexible enough to get the ball to our playmakers.

Amen....

How many times during Muschump's era did you scream at the TV in disgust at our play calling ? Let's throw it to the same frickin receiver 80 times a game (Edwards, Smith). Lets run zero reverses (well they did use Dak one time last year in the Vandy game). Let's use zero imagination...

I'm looking forward to a staff that tries to utllize the talent we have to win games........not kill the clock with a 9 minute 4th quarter drive down by two TD's....not "slow it down" because we are up by two scores ie the last NC game...not make stupid mistakes against TN trying to kick a field goal when you need a TD with time running out....
Are you meaning like on offense or like being offended by that play calling? I’m in the later, it offended me how bad it was.

Reactions: StillCluckin
The end for Muschamp for me was in Charlotte. Down in the game with time running out, 4th and 1 inside your opponents 50 and he punts. That told you all that was needed to know.

Pretty sure we had a lead at that point in the game. CWM thought it better to punt and play defense than ask the offense to get a yard and end the game. 97 yards later, we were losing. And then we lost Bentley for the year trying to win it on our final drive.

Pretty sure we had a lead at that point in the game. CWM thought it better to punt and play defense than ask the offense to get a yard and end the game. 97 yards later, we were losing. And then we lost Bentley for the year trying to win it on our final drive.
Could have been, but really our defense couldn't stop a three legged turtle. They went down the field in about 30 seconds.

• Haha
Reactions: jerryusc
In these days you have to have 2 things without a doubt. A really good QB, which we dont and a really good HC, which we dont yet. Win 3 and I would be shocked. Hopefully the future bodes better.

Thinking aloud here, but I wonder if Beamer's background with special teams plus his time under SOS will result in seeing more trick plays. Not necessarily just fake punts/kicks, but will he inject some creative random trick plays more than we've seen the past several years?

Calling you out for the wet blanket that you are isnt complaining.
Our program has been it's own wet blanket. A fan that is taking a wait and see attitude is probably the most prudent thing to do, given our storied history.

Last edited:
If you suppose that all Muschamp was doing was cashing a paycheck and trying not to piss anyone off, then the Run-Run-Pass schemes make perfect sense. A slow, agonizing display of football but if he was running reverses for 20 yard losses, fans get pissed a lot more.

Ask yourself this, does spurrier punt or get the first down and win it outright in That scenario.? He goes for the win, the jugular. He coached to win…muschamp coached not to lose

Are you meaning like on offense or like being offended by that play calling? I’m in the later, it offended me how bad it was.
The play calling was offensive...which helped make our offense offensive. Example - we started a QB who literally couldn't move in the pocket and was trying not to get his 4th - I repeat 4th - major knee injury. So what do we do ? straight drop back..the D brings the house and some of our fans blame the O line. Horrible play calling.

Couple that with a so called all gas coach - which was true - full of gas and the substance that goes with it. No balls in trying to win games. UNC, TN and FL were prime examples.

We will be better simply beacuse it can't get worse. I believe that we will be much better..which won't take much.

Ask yourself this, does spurrier punt or get the first down and win it outright in That scenario.? He goes for the win, the jugular. He coached to win…muschamp coached not to lose

Exactly.

In that situation, Spurrier would have been scheming the upcoming first down play while the offense was breaking the huddle on fourth down.

Our program has been it's own wet blanket. A fan that is taking a wait and see attitude is probably the most prudent thing to do, given our storied history.
You are right. Wait and see. I will believe it when I see it, given Ray’s track record in hiring. Right now we are literally at the bottom in the football landscape. Bottom. We are also fighting Vanderbilt for the last place and that we might win. I am sure a lot of other Schools are relishing the prospect of playing us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT