ADVERTISEMENT

Again, new here. How good will Bentley be this year?

tornin2

Apr 10, 2018
I know that he did well for a true freshman his first year, and last year was pretty good too I think. I have only seen him actually play in two games and those were probably not his best. Did he make good strides between year 1 and 2? I am sure that having Samuels hurt at the beginning of the year did not help matters at all.

Just trying to get a feel for the expectations I should channel my little girl as she enrolls next year.

Thanks,

I think he will be improved under Coach Werner. Looked very accurate in the spring.

Reactions: BWINSC1
It almost seemed like he practiced rushing his mechanics/footwork/throws in preparation for 2017 and then our line was much better then 2016, and he was off kilter some and reworking things such as footwork during the season.

He knows he will have protection in 2018, and our WR's are Sophs, Juniors, and Seniors, now and our TE's while not as good at route running, catching and impacting the game as Hurst, should be as good or better at blocking depending on who wins the TE job.

He will be the greatest athlete in the entire history of the ultraverse. He will average at least 800 yards per game. He will pass for 14000 yards and 600 tds, with a completion percentage of 178%.

Reactions: GamecockJL
The hurry up nature of this "new"offense is said to fit Jake Bentley really well. The receivers are deep and said to be among the most talented group in all the S E C. Now, when you add that even S E C writer Barrett Sallee says the Carolina running backs are looking real good after the spring game--without having its best talent running in the spring game 2018, I'd say: as long as the health of most of the key players stays in tact, it looks like a determined head coach (Muschamp) is about to have a real crack at winning the eastern division this year. (Carolina has U G A at home in game 2--after people THOUGHT they'd get blown out by 25 points by Georgia in November, 2017.)

The big question for me is can the coaches replace three seniors on that defensive line AND replace the contributions of 2 or 3 starting defensive backs.... Carolina has only one game to get those new starting defensive players up to speed. Georgia is sure to be solid again on offense.
Kicking game could be improved. I hope Florida is still 1 season away from excellence with a brand new coach and a dumpster fire from 2017.
We have what appears a favorable conference schedule. I believe in coach M---U S C---hamp and coach T-rob !

If Bentley consistently hits open receivers I'll be happy. I think the kid played better than he got credit for and was a victim of expectations to some extent, but he did have a knack for missing wide open receivers last season.

Course, I assume we're gonna look different on offense this season anyway if I read this board right and we go faster tempo. At least that's what I think I read.

I hope he improves...I can go through just about every game last year and see where he over threw a wide open WR or TE for either a long gain or a TD on multiple occasions. That can't happen this year if we are to believe we can compete for the east. I'm hoping the new and improved offence will eliminate those problems.

Reactions: rogue cock
Never can tell. He is the best we have currently on the Roster. The line has to block and open holes. He is just a deliverer of the ball. Routes have to be crisp, timing has to be good, the right plays have to be called, blitzing has to be picked up blah blah blah.
My head scratcher has always been, since DiMarco, we have never played a big strong blocker in the backfield and lord know we could have used one.

Very rarely do QBs master the position quickly. Bentley has a good to at times very good 2 seasons. I am hoping that he will be like Connor Shaw in his development. Shaw was OK his first two seasons, his senior year he was a weapon with basically no turnovers

Reactions: rogue cock
Very rarely do QBs master the position quickly. Bentley has a good to at times very good 2 seasons. I am hoping that he will be like Connor Shaw in his development. Shaw was OK his first two seasons, his senior year he was a weapon with basically no turnovers
I'm hoping last year was simply a sophomore slump. The fast pace of the new offense should cut down on his reads and allow him to throw the ball....hopefully a little more accurately than last year.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I'm hoping last year was simply a sopore slump. The fast pace of the new offense should cut down on his reads and allow him to throw the ball....hopefully a little more accurately than last year.

From where I sit, one thing nobody is saying is that the beating that Bentley took versus Texas A&M in about game 5 seem to make him (understandably) nervous.
We had 60 PERCENT of the offensive line playing for a hurt starter In that game and in the next one against Arkansas. Bentley must have had that 7-sack beatdown /knockdown treatment in the back of his mind for a few games after A& M. I am therefore, not going to be TOO judgmental. . And as Coach continues to say, I am glad that JAKE BENTLEY is our QB. He also works his arse off in between games-watches film for hours. And that's more that we saw in a Stephen Garcia. Garcia was drinking and screwing girls BEFORE the big games.
While Garcia had a helluva arm--and good running ability, Spurrier had hell getting that LEADER of the ball team to look at any flim on his personal time. Now, Bentley is diligent, and I really hear even Barrett Sallee and another writers saying BIG things about the offensive talent options and also the SPRING GAME showing of our QB Jake Bentley. AND WE HAVeNT' EVEN had our top back nor Samuel Deebo crank it up yet !
Muschamp and T-rob know what they have to do on the defensive side before that 2nd game against UGA.
Go ' Cocks !

Last edited:
Reactions: CoachWanda
I hope he improves...I can go through just about every game last year and see where he over threw a wide open WR or TE for either a long gain or a TD on multiple occasions. That can't happen this year if we are to believe we can compete for the east. I'm hoping the new and improved offence will eliminate those problems.

From where I sit, one thing nobody is saying is that the beating that Bentley took versus Texas A&M in about game 5 seem to make him (understandably) nervous.
We had 60 PERCENT of the offensive line playing for a hurt starter In that game and in the next one against Arkansas. Bentley must have had that 7-sack beatdown /knockdown treatment in the back of his mind for a few games after A& M. I am therefore, not going to be TOO judgmental. . And as Coach continues to say, I am glad that JAKE BENTLEY is our QB. He also works his arse off in between games-watches film for hours

We had 60 PERCENT of the offensive line playing for a hurt starter In that game and in the next one against Arkansas. Bentley must have had that 7-sack beatdown /knockdown treatment in the back of his mind for a few games after A& M. I am therefore, not going to be TOO judgmental. . And as Coach continues to say, I am glad that JAKE BENTLEY is our QB. He also works his arse off in between games-watches film for hours

From what I saw last year, Bentley gets WAY TOO Hyped up at the start of a game, once he settles down and gets in a good flow of the game he is a really good QB. I loook for him to improve on this part of his game. I think if he can come out, calm and in control, he has as high a ceiling as any QB we have had..

Just trying to get a feel for the expectations I should channel my little girl as she enrolls next year.
Be real with her. Carolina has never won a national championship and our good/great years have often been separated by long stretches of blah. You need to know that going in. We always pack the stadium, always have more fun than anyone else at the tailgate, never pull for Clemson, never throw stuff on the field. We are the "Gamecocks" because we fight to the death and never give up. Go in with that mindset and you can't go wrong. It will be that much sweeter one day when we do win a championship

Reactions: CoachWanda
Be real with her. Carolina has never won a national championship and our good/great years have often been separated by long stretches of blah. You need to know that going in. We always pack the stadium, always have more fun than anyone else at the tailgate, never pull for Clemson, never throw stuff on the field. We are the "Gamecocks" because we fight to the death and never give up. Go in with that mindset and you can't go wrong. It will be that much sweeter one day when we do win a championship
Good advice...especially NEVER EVER pull for Clemson!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT