ADVERTISEMENT

A'ja being named ESPN W's POTY is big

Retire her NUMBER NOW !

Aja%20Wilson%20espnW%20Player%20of%20the%20Year%202018_1520792280566.png_13539551_ver1.0.jpg

LOCAL
Photo: espnW
USC's A'ja Wilson Named espnW Player of the Year
Picked as its preseason player of the year as well, Wilson has now collected two national player of the year honors as USA TODAY Sports began the series last week.

Author: wltx
Published: 2:18 PM EDT March 11, 2018
Updated: 2:18 PM EDT March 11, 2018

South Carolina senior forward A’ja Wilson was named espnW Women’s Basketball Player of the Year, the organization announced today on its website. Picked as its preseason player of the year as well, Wilson has now collected two national player of the year honors as USA TODAY Sports began the series last week.

Last edited:
There is a five year waiting period before any consideration may be given to the retirement of a jersey.

why? I hate arbitrary limits like this. Its not like she can come back and play again, I mean I understand why they wait 5 years in pro sports before putting them in a hall of fame, in case they unretire. But A'ja cant do that, and she is far and away the most decorated athlete in the history of the school, her jersey should have been retired on senior day and the statue should be unveiled this summer.

Reactions: woodruffcock
I like the idea of deferred jersey retirement. It's great when those things happen when a person has his/her own family to enjoy it with. The kids get to see that Dad or Mom was a big deal and get to see him or her honored - and to be a part of it. Not a fan of immediate jersey retirement. I'd have no problem with no one else wearing that number until retirement comes.

why? I hate arbitrary limits like this. Its not like she can come back and play again, I mean I understand why they wait 5 years in pro sports before putting them in a hall of fame, in case they unretire. But A'ja cant do that, and she is far and away the most decorated athlete in the history of the school, her jersey should have been retired on senior day and the statue should be unveiled this summer.
Most schools have some sort of waiting limit. It takes some of the knee jerk emotions out of it and allows for perspective in my opinion. She fits all of the criteria for it to happen, so it's not like it won't happen. Same thing with Hall of Fame inductions.

It seems from Dawn's and Coach Boyer's comments on Twitter, that several talking heads on tv thought someone else deserved it. I think she's the best hands down because when she isn't in the lineup, it's a different team. UConn has no one like that, and I know of no other young lady comparable. She's a rare and special talent that I'm glad set an example and stayed home.

It seems from Dawn's and Coach Boyer's comments on Twitter, that several talking heads on tv thought someone else deserved it. I think she's the best hands down because when she isn't in the lineup, it's a different team. UConn has no one like that, and I know of no other young lady comparable. She's a rare and special talent that I'm glad set an example and stayed home.

Dawn gets pissed because all the talking heads went to UCONN and Tenn... They just can't contain their bias and Gamecock hate... Tenn resents our program for crushing theirs... UCONN fears our program because they see the parallels of them ousting Tenn from the top... As a rule they prefer to say nothing positive about Gamecock women's basketball...

Reactions: tanyacock
This young lady could have went anywhere in the country coast to coast. She also has achieved at the highest level of her field for the home state school. No doubt one of the greatest Gamecock athletes to ever put on a uniform. I really believe this team feels disrespected and is about to go on a azz kicking mission.

Reactions: lawcalcock
This young lady could have went anywhere in the country coast to coast. She also has achieved at the highest level of her field for the home state school. No doubt one of the greatest Gamecock athletes to ever put on a uniform. I really believe this team feels disrespected and is about to go on a azz kicking mission.
I agree with you.. What irks Coach Staley is any idiot can see A'ja is the best player in the nation... It's not even close.. She was the best last season as well

I like the idea of deferred jersey retirement. It's great when those things happen when a person has his/her own family to enjoy it with. The kids get to see that Dad or Mom was a big deal and get to see him or her honored - and to be a part of it. Not a fan of immediate jersey retirement. I'd have no problem with no one else wearing that number until retirement comes.

That is a stupid reason. Say she doesnt get married or has no kids, we are just waiting around for no reason.

Still no good reason for waiting

That is a stupid reason. Say she doesnt get married or has no kids, we are just waiting around for no reason.

They didn't just make this up last week. There's a waiting period and a committee made up of certain segments of both the athletic department and alumni that make the decision. It's always been that way and it is like that at most other institutions also

Reactions: king ward
Dawn gets pissed because all the talking heads went to UCONN and Tenn... They just can't contain their bias and Gamecock hate... Tenn resents our program for crushing theirs... UCONN fears our program because they see the parallels of them ousting Tenn from the top... As a rule they prefer to say nothing positive about Gamecock women's basketball...
I agree. The balance of power will shift to South Carolina.

That is an inane retort, symptomatic of nothing more than a desire for instant gratification. The recognition will only grow sweeter as the enormity of the achievements are more thoroughly appreciated through the process of reflection. You don't want the recipient to die before being honored, but then you wouldn't want a person to die prematurely anyway.

Reactions: Cybercock
They didn't just make this up last week. There's a waiting period and a committee made up of certain segments of both the athletic department and alumni that make the decision. It's always been that way and it is like that at most other institutions also
Other great players have waited appreciable lengths of time, which did not diminish the honor one iota.

I agree with you.. What irks Coach Staley is any idiot can see A'ja is the best player in the nation... It's not even close.. She was the best last season as well
It was Jay Bilas who, for some reason, was on the Woman's selection show and said that Gabby Williams from UCONN is the best player in basketball. He also mentioned someone from Princeton who happens to be his god-daughter was also great. Jay is an arrogant SOB who thinks he's the smartest guy in the world.

It was Jay Bilas who, for some reason, was on the Woman's selection show and said that Gabby Williams from UCONN is the best player in basketball. He also mentioned someone from Princeton who happens to be his god-daughter was also great. Jay is an arrogant SOB who thinks he's the smartest guy in the world.

Someone needs to ask Jay Bolas and UCONN cheerleader Rebecca Lobo how many times Gabby gets double and tripled teamed.. How many opposing HBC draw up a game plan to stop Gabby Williams... Gabby is a good one. But she is not in A'ja's zip code...Bilas bringing up Mark Alaric's baby girl is laughable

Okay, why can't they make the decision the next time they meet. The worst reason to keep doing something is "because we have always done it that way."

Still nobody has given me a concrete reason why there needs to be a waiting period, the accomplishments are there, they are never going to change. There is no legitimate reason to wait is all I keep saying, if someone can give me a legitimate reason, I am all ears.

Did they wait to put up the Final Four or National Championship banners? Did we wait to show off those trophies?

Okay, why can't they make the decision the next time they meet. The worst reason to keep doing something is "because we have always done it that way."

Still nobody has given me a concrete reason why there needs to be a waiting period, the accomplishments are there, they are never going to change. There is no legitimate reason to wait is all I keep saying, if someone can give me a legitimate reason, I am all ears.

Did they wait to put up the Final Four or National Championship banners? Did we wait to show off those trophies?
In my opinion, it is more meaningful to wait. Retiring a jersey in the midst of post-season excitement or right after looses some effect. Anticipating it and being able to arrange a big atmosphere during a game five years in the future is exciting. Would retiring BJ's jersey at the end of a losing season or Roache's jersey after a loss in the tourney have been as memorable?​

As I said you do it on Senior night, prior to the game so you can avoid the non memorable nature of having done after a loss. Or do it first game next season. Again, there is no practical reason to wait.

It's never about fear.. Great teams and great players never fear... The question is can you summon your talent when the heat is on... What will UCONN do when they are down late in a game vs a talented team... That will happen in the tourney... How they respond is what will define them
While I'll agree that the balance of power may be shifting I can assure you UConn doesn't fear any team. Seeing how they beat everyone by an average of about 25 points. In fact, I think UConn welcomes the influx of good teams.

She is a most deserving recipient. We need a statue of A'ja in front of the CLAW and it better not take 35 years like the George Rogers statue.

Let’s not rush the statue just yet, and I’m willing to hang her jersey, but not sure about retiring her number either. We may need that number for the next generational player that's coming down the road.

I think we should have retired her number before her first game.
I also think we should change the mascot to her favorite farm animal.
Lastly, I think we should put her visage on the each backboard so every men's and women's player in the future can pay homage to her career while playing the game.

What's the hurry? Is there some pressing task she or we need to do that can't happen until her number is hanging from the rafters? I like the waiting period. It prevents knee-jerk reactions based on the emotions of the time and ensures that a player's accomplishments stand the test of time. Having said that, there's no question A'ja's jersey will be retired. And adhering to tradition will make the honor mean that much more.

What's the hurry? Is there some pressing task she or we need to do that can't happen until her number is hanging from the rafters? I like the waiting period. It prevents knee-jerk reactions based on the emotions of the time and ensures that a player's accomplishments stand the test of time. Having said that, there's no question A'ja's jersey will be retired. And adhering to tradition will make the honor mean that much more.

Instantaneous gratification society

Whats the point in waiting? How will her accomplishments not stand the test of time? Can you do something better than win player of the year or win a national title? She was SEC player of the year 3 times, the most someone can do is win it 4 times, so winning 3 may not stand the test of time?
How does waiting make the honor mean more? I guess you could argue the antithesis and say why do it now, but why wait? There is not a practical reason for either, so why not just do it now. Why wait to do something that doesn't need to waited to be done?

It has nothing to do with instant gratification society. I am 43 years old, I am not a knee jerk reaction millenial.

There is a five year waiting period before one can even be nominated for the MLB hall of fame. Can't see why this shouldn't be also.
I doubt it really concerns her and will mean an awful lot more to her in a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT