ADVERTISEMENT

A'ja? Really?

They wouldn’t be getting paid that much if there weren’t a demand for it. The issue isn’t that someone is paying them that much and instead that folks shouldn’t pay as much attention to sports stars / celebrities.

Clay Travis not knowing how to pronounce her name has nothing to do with whether he can speak on the issue or not. You could insert anyone’s name in there. This issue isn’t Wilson...it’s what Wilson said. But if it were the #1 pick in the NBA draft I bet he’d know how to pronounce their name.
I agree with your first paragraph.

Your last sentence makes my point about Travis not knowing anything about what he is trying to talk about. If he doesn't know how to pronounce the name of the top WNBA pick how much does he know about the WNBA or women's sports in general.

Besides the bigger issue IMHO is the lack of respect shown female athletes and women in general by certain segments of society.

He doesn’t know a lot about the WNBA it because it’s not relevant. Why should a player in a sport that can’t support itself make the kind of money than an athlete in a sport that makes billions? That’s the issue. He doesn’t have to know about the WNBA to comment on that. It isn’t an issue about the WNBA or womens sports. This could’ve been an Arena Football League MVP making this comment and I’d be saying the same thing.

They wouldn’t be getting paid that much if there weren’t a demand for it. The issue isn’t that someone is paying them that much and instead that folks shouldn’t pay as much attention to sports stars / celebrities.

Clay Travis not knowing how to pronounce her name has nothing to do with whether he can speak on the issue or not. You could insert anyone’s name in there. This issue isn’t Wilson...it’s what Wilson said. But if it were the #1 pick in the NBA draft I bet he’d know how to pronounce their name.

I agree that the pronunciation of her name is irrelevant, and even arbitrary. I heard her own father pronounce her name the way it is spelled with the "J" sound. Since he is the one that named her I would say he should know how to pronounce it. Apparently, there isn't even agreement in her own family over that, so how could a journalist be expected to know.

Of course, we wouldn't want to upset the conservative worship of money and run roughshod over everyone and everything possible to be able to make an extra buck. The environment? To hell with it! Veterans? To hell with them. Poor, elderly, infirm? Who cares, we're just trying to get rich.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Sorry you have your panties in a wad, and I can assure you that I was not trying to impress anyone on a message board. Just expressing my thoughts. I didn't know it was on TV and couldn't care less. You'll never catch me watching it.

I agree with you. If you ever hear of me watching an entire WNBA game, then you know my life is almost over. I even flip off ESPN when I see a WNBA game advertised. Just the way it is for most of the nation or otherwise the league would be profitable. Now with that said, I will watch the Lady Gamecocks in action most of the time from start to finish. I love my school and all things G'cocks. WNBA, not so much.

Not always true, regardless of sport.

I agree that the pronunciation of her name is irrelevant, and even arbitrary. I heard her own father pronounce her name the way it is spelled with the "J" sound. Since he is the one that named her I would say he should know how to pronounce it. Apparently, there isn't even agreement in her own family over that, so how could a journalist be expected to know.
How does her mother pronounce it?

How does her mother pronounce it?
Never having spoken to her I wouldn't know. Her dad said he is the one that named her. Why don't you check with her and find out - if you really want to know. Then report back here and let everyone know.

Never having spoken to her I wouldn't know. Her dad said he is the one that named her. Why don't you check with her and find out - if you really want to know. Then report back here and let everyone know.
I really don't want to know, didn't see the Roscoe Wilson interview, and it was not made clear in a previous posting that Roscoe said he named her.

Just trying give give each parent equal time based on a lack of knowledge.

The WNBA would not exist if it were not subsidized by the NBA. They've done everything they can to bring in more fans. When the "family atmosphere" promotion didn't produce enough cash, they hit on marketing to the lesbian population in the fan base (kinda made sense, in a perverse way- pun intended), with the same predictable results. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the games sometimes, but there is absolutely no way the WNBA survives on its on. A few of the markets do fairly well, like a decent college program, but the league would fold like an accordion if left to stand alone. I love A'ja Wilson, and enjoy watching her play. She is a great player and a fantastic ambassador for USC (excepting her sense of economics), but if mommy or daddy chooses to bestow upon their child a very unusual name or the unusual spelling of a traditional name, then why get upset when folks pronounce it like the rules of standard English suggest?

Think a lot of folk missed her point. But also a lot of fellas are set in their ways about how they feel about social issues that they are likely not affected by.

The WNBA would not exist if it were not subsidized by the NBA. They've done everything they can to bring in more fans. When the "family atmosphere" promotion didn't produce enough cash, they hit on marketing to the lesbian population in the fan base (kinda made sense, in a perverse way- pun intended), with the same predictable results. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the games sometimes, but there is absolutely no way the WNBA survives on its on. A few of the markets do fairly well, like a decent college program, but the league would fold like an accordion if left to stand alone. I love A'ja Wilson, and enjoy watching her play. She is a great player and a fantastic ambassador for USC (excepting her sense of economics), but if mommy or daddy chooses to bestow upon their child a very unusual name or the unusual spelling of a traditional name, then why get upset when folks pronounce it like the rules of standard English suggest?
Would it be too much to ask that Travis spend a little time on research? In less than the amount of time he spent making fun of her name he could have checked out any number of her highlight videos on YouTube. Oh wait a minute. He played the sound of one of those videos where her name is announced so he knew how to pronounce her name but yet he felt compelled to make fun of her name. Listen to the video. Travis is an A$$.
https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/aja-wilson-slams-wnba-pay-discrepancy-clay-travis-explains-math/

I really don't want to know, didn't see the Roscoe Wilson interview, and it was not made clear in a previous posting that Roscoe said he named her.

Just trying give give each parent equal time based on a lack of knowledge.

Here was my post verbatim:
"I agree that the pronunciation of her name is irrelevant, and even arbitrary. I heard her own father pronounce her name the way it is spelled with the "J" sound. Since he is the one that named her I would say he should know how to pronounce it. Apparently, there isn't even agreement in her own family over that, so how could a journalist be expected to know."

Was there something ambiguous about the statement?

Here was my post verbatim:
"I agree that the pronunciation of her name is irrelevant, and even arbitrary. I heard her own father pronounce her name the way it is spelled with the "J" sound. Since he is the one that named her I would say he should know how to pronounce it. Apparently, there isn't even agreement in her own family over that, so how could a journalist be expected to know."

Was there something ambiguous about the statement?
Fair enough. Thanks.

First, I think her statement is being grossly misinterpreted. She doesn't wonder why WNBA players don't make the same as NBA. She commented on Lebron's $154M contract, and lamented that the WNBA doesn't have anyone making near $1M.
That said, just on league revenues, those who point out that the WNBA has little value (compared to the NBA or other leagues) are correct. $7.4 Billion for the NBA, $25M for the WNBA. Lebron's yearly salary is .005% of the league's revenue. The maximum WNBA salary is around $115,000. That is .0046% of their $25M league revenue.
And that revenue percentage the NBA gets paid from? The NBA can pay a higher percentage of revenue because they are wildly profitable. If the WNBA were to double their percentage from 23% to 46%, it would cost the league around $5,000,000. That's just another $5M the owners would have to eat, and several of them have stated that they are considering giving up their WNBA franchise and letting the league take ownership.

First, I think her statement is being grossly misinterpreted. She doesn't wonder why WNBA players don't make the same as NBA. She commented on Lebron's $154M contract, and lamented that the WNBA doesn't have anyone making near $1M.
That said, just on league revenues, those who point out that the WNBA has little value (compared to the NBA or other leagues) are correct. $7.4 Billion for the NBA, $25M for the WNBA. Lebron's yearly salary is .005% of the league's revenue. The maximum WNBA salary is around $115,000. That is .0046% of their $25M league revenue.
And that revenue percentage the NBA gets paid from? The NBA can pay a higher percentage of revenue because they are wildly profitable. If the WNBA were to double their percentage from 23% to 46%, it would cost the league around $5,000,000. That's just another $5M the owners would have to eat, and several of them have stated that they are considering giving up their WNBA franchise and letting the league take ownership.
Business is business in everything but government.

Are you people serious? Is the WNBA even on TV, and if so was who would watch beside parents and relatives? This whole topic is laughable. We have a WNBA topic on an SEC board? Something is wrong. Football is right around the corner. Focus people!
I'm focused on what an asshat you are.

She never said she should make as much as an NBA player. A random site looking for click bait picked up her tweet and twisted her comments. I read what she tweeted and she never once said anything about getting equal pay.
It’s too hard for folks to confirm what click-bait websites tell them before they go spewing idiotic, untrue comments.

Threads like this make you wish some of these people end up being blessed with athletic daughters.

Or pretty much any other profession, like most people, other than a professional athlete. Nobody pays me millions to watch me do my job but I’m not complaining. There is no interest or demand for people to watch me. Same with the WNBA.

I wonder how much $ A’ja would make in the NBA? I’m sure if she is good enough someone would put her on a roster.

Think a lot of folk missed her point. But also a lot of fellas are set in their ways about how they feel about social issues that they are likely not affected by.

My wife doesn't like football, baseball, sports period. Never watches. She probably doesn't know the WNBA exists. Does that make her set in her ways also? I'm sure she doesn't care about what players make or don't make either. Social issues aren't in play here and it's not a fellas thing. It's supply and demand...........tons of people just don't care about the WNBA so they don't watch. So the money doesn't likely translate into big salaries. It's not a women's pay vs men's pay scenario. But I love women in general.

Not aiming this at you, but you gotta admit this is one strange thread. I have no clue what she tweeted, or what she meant or didn't mean because I never saw the tweet (or any interview with her father). It amazes me there's so much debate about what she meant........I have a feeling, if I cared to look it up, I could deduce what she meant.

Reactions: Carolina4
Is the arena selling out charging the same prices as men's basketball tickets?
No the University does not charge the same for WBB and MBB tickets. The women's tickets are considersbly less. However when the team (women) was awful the arena came no where near being sold out even though the tickets were cheaper than now. So I would think cheaper tickets help but the fans started filling the arena when the product on the floor improved.

Geez. The young woman made a statement and it's like she's talking about something that effects world peace. If WBB is so irrevalent, why do so many waste band width deriding it every time it comes up on the board. Seems some are ready to pounce and spend time on something by their own admission they care nothing about. If that's the case ignore it and it will be barely noticed, if at all.

Reactions: Out of Conference
I'm focused on what an asshat you are.

You set off my laughter response sometimes.

Threads like this make you wish some of these people end up being blessed with athletic daughters.

Further proving my point....

It takes intelligence to understand sarcasm.

Shhh, don’t you know using big words that bigots don’t understand is rude?!?

I am so proud of this thread now, and even more proud that Aja is a fellow gamecock, and probably going to end up being an awesome lady (regardless of what her business card may be at a given time).

I am so proud of this thread now, and even more proud that Aja is a fellow gamecock, and probably going to end up being an awesome lady (regardless of what her business card may be at a given time).
I agree. But if she's ever rich, and I hope she will be, it probably won't be strictly from playing basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT