ADVERTISEMENT

AJC says CWM is 'part of the problem'

I did not infer that from his remarks and can't see how a reasonable person could.
CWM took aim at the messenger with no acknowledgement of the message. He passionately chose loyalty to his friend(not a bad thing). But he didn't stop there, he attacked a straw man enemy with no reckoning with a tragedy that at the least was the result of poor medical procedures.
On a side note any school that doesn't evaluate their own medical procedures in light of this event are stupid.

Yep.

All that AJC column amounts too is a sportswriter's take on Muschamp's outspoken defense of his friend following an ESPN report based on anonymous sources who may be gutless but were still apparently credible enough to prompt Maryland to suspend its football coach while it investigates.

But neither the AJC columnist, Muschamp or ESPN really knows for certain what the hell happened up there and neither do I.

And the column is merely an opinion piece, and opinions are like a-holes --

Muschamp's opinion is that the use of anonymous sources is bad journalism. I disagree, but I respect Muschamp's view. And I don't blame him for coming to defense of his friend. I applaud that part of it, even if it turns out the friend didn't deserve Muschamp standing up for him.

I think our bigger problem is that too many folks can't seem to discern between opinion, public relations and straight news reporting anymore, and that includes some of those in the news media.
Muschamp wasn't being ugly nor insensitive about the death of this young man he was saying he knows the coach involved and this wasn't intentional in his opinion. Too many people want to add fire to something where there is no fire because that's what we have become, a culture of judgmental people looking for something to protest. In reality most of the people pointing the finger really don't care one way or the other it's just the thrill of the chase.

Reactions: bushmastercock
CWM took aim at the messenger with no acknowledgement of the message. He passionately chose loyalty to his friend(not a bad thing). But he didn't stop there, he attacked a straw man enemy with no reckoning with a tragedy that at the least was the result of poor medical procedures.
On a side note any school that doesn't evaluate their own medical procedures in light of this event are stupid.
I agree with the last sentence. Otherwise, I stand by my previous statement.

Coach Will Muschamp is part of MY problem until his teams can show some intensity, grit and pride against Clemson, unlike the previous two games. Incidentally, the last two years (56-7, 34-10) are the worst discrepancy in scores by either side since 1899-1900 (Clemson 34-0, 51-0). Shawn Elliott did come within 5 points, even with much less talent on our side defensively or offensively, probably more talent offensively on their side, and Watson responsible for scoring 4 TD's. As for the AJC piece, Coach was out of line in his comments .... period! It was a very bad PR look for the university, the team, and Muschamp. That's why Coach, or the university, corrected and explained so quickly.

I think the angst comes from the knowledge most of us have that what we are trying to build here is still very fragile. Disruption is unwelcome. Negative attention is disturbing. The real irksome part is that Muschamp is being painted with a very uncomplimentary brush that does not take into account how he actually runs his program.

this is true.. he just made a " slip up"...because its him and a good guy he gets a pass...its only a temporary issue, imo.. but regardless what he said about anonymous sources was obviously wrong and rightfully so, was called out for it...we move on.

Less than 3 weeks left until we are back at WB and this is what we want to talk about?

No one wants to be talking about this.

But then Coach Boom was like, a player died of heatstroke? Toxic environment? Allegations of physical and verbal abuse? Forget all that. I KNOW DJ Durkin and he is a GOOD man. And I hate modern journalism.

And here we are.

Be careful with that statement. Personal incredulity is the same garbage modern day feminist try to attack any discussion on feminism.

I wonder if the Founding Fathers had any idea that 'Free Speech' would serve Big Media interests ($$$) many times more than the average citizen? I'll answer my own question: NO!

I happen to think he gave a bad answer because he's in no position to question anonymous sources or say they have no credibility. Quite often, whistle-blowers need anonymity to expose problems as we all know how these folks are treated by fans when their names go public. I also get the point that we have a culture in college sports of closing ranks and defending our own. That is indeed "part of the problem" in situations where criminal behavior goes unreported for years.

That said, it was an awkward answer to a question in a press conference that he wasn't prepared to answer. It's not even his program and he has no direct role in what's happened at Maryland whatsoever. So, to suggest he's part of the problem is unfair and over-the-top. He's basically just being a character witness for a friend and colleague.

But the AJC is a big-city paper that loves to offer a "hot take" to generate clicks. Typically, UGA is on the receiving end of their smear campaigns. I guess it was USC's turn this time.

" Typically, UGA is on the receiving end of their smear campaigns?" Are you kidding me! When is the last time AJC printed anything bad about UGA sports? We recruit the Atlanta and Charlotte metro areas hard. Of course they are going to take every opportunity to exploit anything that could possibly be negatively misconstrued re: USC, but I don't think UGA has ever printed anything positive about us. They hated Spurrier with passion because he made UGA football his whipping boy, and rubbed it in their face. What he did to them was animal cruelty, so they don't ever say anything positive about us.

Muschamp wasn't being ugly nor insensitive about the death of this young man he was saying he knows the coach involved and this wasn't intentional in his opinion. Too many people want to add fire to something where there is no fire because that's what we have become, a culture of judgmental people looking for something to protest. In reality most of the people pointing the finger really don't care one way or the other it's just the thrill of the chase.

Apart from my not knowing whether "most of the people really don't care one way or the other it's just the thrill of the chase" I definitely agree with you.

Hell. I hope we kill Georgia.

I wonder if the Founding Fathers had any idea that 'Free Speech' would serve Big Media interests ($$$) many times more than the average citizen? I'll answer my own question: NO!

They did a good job in making the laws 'bendable'. They were smart enough to know that they didn't have all the answers.

We are in a time where the mere definition of words are under attack.

We've gone from "You are entitled to your opinion" to "Your opinion is <insert insult> because it doesn't match my opinion"

You study the past to make informed decisions for the future.

You've got idiots now trying to change the past to force their narrative/future.

Big Media is only a small part of this... They are fighting for their life because information is free on the internet.

The big problem is society in general. People are quick to judge. People are quick to execute their own justice. People can't have a discussion with someone without feeling insulted because someone doesn't see things the way they see things. Fighting fire with fire in this regards doesn't work because only drives a bigger wedge between everyone.
People have loss the ability of having a simple discussion of ideas. 'Free Speech' fights have been bastardized almost beyond repair.

BTW, this is SOOOOOOOOOOO much going down the path of the book 1984. It's scary.

This is why more and more coaches just requote the old adages and basically say nothing because they know that any little improper word or innocent misuse of a word will be blown out of proportion to cause a sensation that will sell newspapers. It becomes boring when they don't weigh in about the issues and talk candidly about their teams as they use to in the old days. Why bother when every word is scrutinized? So people buy less newspapers because there is no content. Why don't the reporters understand that they are driving themselves out of business? More newspapers are going out of business or cutting down to 3-4 days a week than ever before. It is their own fault.

Reactions: bdblack
Coach Muschamp will get to the point where he will say no more than he absolutely has to. That's the safe way. And we will miss out on a lot of what he is thinking which could be very interesting reading. It's a tough job. And he is very good at it.

Do you think the high school players care about this? They are all bullet proof. I know other recruiters will hold it against our coach, but he gets an opportunity to sit in their living rooms, too.

Reactions: bushmastercock
It was a mistake, Boom knows that and I am sure he has learned from this situation. My concern is that this gives a little window into his immediate thought process, and it is not good.

Too funny.... if Dabo Swinney or Kirby Smart knew and worked with Durkin on a staff ( and smart did) .. and said what Muschamp said, this board would've exploded with negative post about each person and would've sang the praise of AJC , if they would've wrote an opinion piece in the paper

You always say things like this, but you really over generalize. I absolutely would not have praised the AJC, nor would many other SC fans.

Muschamp may or may not have verbalized a thought that was best kept unsaid. That can be debated, and to be honest, I can see both sides of it. Personally, I think he should have kept the thought to himself.

Having said that, journalists absolutely love to become bullies when someone attacks their own in any way. The punishment rarely "fits the crime" when it comes to attacking a journalist. So now Muschamp is the problem with college football because he gave his opinion on something that he had nothing to do with? That is ridiculous. Journalists are going to bully Mushchamp now and are going to stretch out a response or take for weeks that should lasted for one news cycle at best.

We saw it happen with Spurrier over Ron Morris. We see it happen anytime anyone questions the media in any fashion.

I guarantee you that if a coach said "I don't believe Johnny Reporter knows what he is talking about when he discussed the run pass option in that article," you would think that said coach had kidnapped someone over the following week by the bullying media. If you think I am wrong, you are naive.

I am a fan of the media in general. They bring light to many situations that would never make it into public without them. The situation at Ohio State and at Maryland are examples. But I am not a fan of the media at all when someone questions anything about one of their own. 100% of the time, they go over board in using the important power that they hold.

Maryland just fired their strength coach who was Durkins first hire. Apparently there's more firings coming. Told you this would blow off this thing and it's picked up steam the past 24 hours.

Just keep your mouth closed. Problem solved.
Agreed. Often, the best answer is to simply say "You know, we're in the middle of fall practice, just a couple of weeks before our first game and that's what I'm focused on right now." He can also add something about knowing Durkin a long time and believing him to be a good man, but not being prepared to answer questions about a pending investigation at another school.

Speaking off the cuff about very complex issues at another program is rarely the est response.

Edit: often because the guy who asks the question has been working on that subject all day long while the coach was busy with practice or something else and likely came to the press conference expecting to answer questions about his team. Textbook "gotcha" question, but a trap that should be avoided.

You always say things like this, but you really over generalize. I absolutely would not have praised the AJC, nor would many other SC fans.

Muschamp may or may not have verbalized a thought that was best kept unsaid. That can be debated, and to be honest, I can see both sides of it. Personally, I think he should have kept the thought to himself.

Having said that, journalists absolutely love to become bullies when someone attacks their own in any way. The punishment rarely "fits the crime" when it comes to attacking a journalist. So now Muschamp is the problem with college football because he gave his opinion on something that he had nothing to do with? That is ridiculous. Journalists are going to bully Mushchamp now and are going to stretch out a response or take for weeks that should lasted for one news cycle at best.

We saw it happen with Spurrier over Ron Morris. We see it happen anytime anyone questions the media in any fashion.

I guarantee you that if a coach said "I don't believe Johnny Reporter knows what he is talking about when he discussed the run pass option in that article," you would think that said coach had kidnapped someone over the following week by the bullying media. If you think I am wrong, you are naive.

I am a fan of the media in general. They bring light to many situations that would never make it into public without them. The situation at Ohio State and at Maryland are examples. But I am not a fan of the media at all when someone questions anything about one of their own. 100% of the time, they go over board in using the important power that they hold.

I dont like when people use bias to make a statement... and its true, most fans would be praising the AJC had their rival coach said the same thing...and it appears more than a few on this site agree with me..
people say fan is short for fanatic. some cant handle the truth

Muschamp made a mistake and he should admit it. There was no reason to step into this storm. And no, you dont defend your friends automatically with no regard to right or wrong. When friends are wrong they are wrong. Way too early in this situation to comment that strong before more facts come out. He could come out looking even worse if more details are revealed. The attack on anonymous sources is ridiculous too. There could be a thousand reasons why people need the annonimity that also gels with them actually telling the truth. Thank god for the free press of the American media. A lot of wrong and corruption is exposed that way....especially in the last two years.

That being said....I 1,000% support Muschamp as our coach and am glad he is in Columbia. Hope he learns a lesson from this.

And oh yea....the AJC traditionally seems to be eager to put out opinion pieces like this against Carolina.

GO GAMECOCKS!!!

Some of y’all need to grow a set! F*** the ajc, and the yuppie looking for something to write about when nothing other than cfb practice and the little league series is going on right now. It’s a uga rag.
Muschamp will be fine. He defended a friend. Some of yall act like he slept with his mom or something

Agreed. Often, the best answer is to simply say "You know, we're in the middle of fall practice, just a couple of weeks before our first game and that's what I'm focused on right now." He can also add something about knowing Durkin a long time and believing him to be a good man, but not being prepared to answer questions about a pending investigation at another school.

Speaking off the cuff about very complex issues at another program is rarely the est response.

Edit: often because the guy who asks the question has been working on that subject all day long while the coach was busy with practice or something else and likely came to the press conference expecting to answer questions about his team. Textbook "gotcha" question, but a trap that should be avoided.

This ^^^^. Probably, the best take on this matter, imo.

Reactions: vehemon
Man.. This ain't good. You can (correctly) say the media is making a bigger deal about this than is needed, but man.. This is going to be great negative recruiting material for us.

Exactly what I said yesterday. Not just by quempsum but by journalist, too.

I agree with you that CWM does things right and i would feel very comfortable sending my child into his care. BUT when you take a stance that implies your profession is beyond criticism it becomes problematic.
At the least Durkin has inadequate medical procedures in place that resulted in a young man's death and that HAS TO BE CRITIQUED AND FIXED. At the worst there was horrorific negligence and a "toxic culture" that cannot be fixed from the inside.
To deem someone beyond questioning was a bad look for CWM and he backed away from it. I know he said It out of loyalty but nobody is beyond examination when some tragedy like this happens.
I agree with all of this except the part about Durkin having medical procedures in place. It is not his job and is, quite frankly, not proper for him to be a part of that. Once in the hands of the trainers, they are the responsibly party, and it's not like they are coaches that Durkin can hire and fire. Trainers are employed by the AD, not the coach.

Reactions: johnnohj
I agree with all of this except the part about Durkin having medical procedures in place. It is not his job and is, quite frankly, not proper for him to be a part of that. Once in the hands of the trainers, they are the responsibly party, and it's not like they are coaches that Durkin can hire and fire. Trainers are employed by the AD, not the coach.
From what I understand he was misdiagnosed as having a heat stroke at the time, they didn't bother taking his temperature or attempting to do a quick cool down. Not sure they could have saved him had all those steps been taken, but the fact that they weren't is going to be a major deal of who's to blame.

Georgia Football propaganda is what the AJC is - always has been. Pitiful that they would turn on one of their own.
I live here and read it every day. You need to look at their coverage of the Jan Kemp affair before you make a statement like that. The AJC has come down hard on them and GT over the years. They are winning big now and winning makes negative coverage much harder.

That couldn't possibly be further from the truth. They routinely run negative stories on UGA to generate clicks. It's pervasive. Since Athens is so close to the Atlanta market, UGA gets the same harsh, critical, big-city coverage you normally only see with pro sports. Even when there is no controversy, they'll find a way to create one.
wait, it's UGA just before season starts. They do a good job keeping themselves in the news with all the arrest. ;)

" Typically, UGA is on the receiving end of their smear campaigns?" Are you kidding me! When is the last time AJC printed anything bad about UGA sports? We recruit the Atlanta and Charlotte metro areas hard. Of course they are going to take every opportunity to exploit anything that could possibly be negatively misconstrued re: USC, but I don't think UGA has ever printed anything positive about us. They hated Spurrier with passion because he made UGA football his whipping boy, and rubbed it in their face. What he did to them was animal cruelty, so they don't ever say anything positive about us.
you ever look at the arrest records?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT