ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama DL commits

"In the end, it took just days for him to flip his commitment from Troy to the Gamecocks." Praise, Jesus! We can flip a two star in mere days!!

Reactions: GamecockJL
You super stars need to lighten up some on the judging and insulting of this kids. What's coming out of your pockets if we offer a 0 star..nothing. You're taking yourselves much to seriously.
I have an investment in the program...thank you very much...I have had an investment since 1989....I have had an opinion even longer than that.

6'2'' 260 lbs. Good size to work with. That's a start. Now let's bring in a good DL coach to teach the kid how to play SEC quality football.

So that qualifies you as an expert of recruiting. Where did you play college football and what is it that makes you think it's appropriate to insult every none 4* kid Carolina offers? I've been supporting Carolina since 1974 so what? I was a Gamecock when we lost to App State.. My point is that too many on here don't know a 50 defense from a single wing but know how to complain and question every aspect of recruiting. Agreed, it has been down over the past three years but still hold off on the insults until you make you first D1 start.

Reactions: SportsSuites1
6'2'' 260 lbs. Good size to work with. That's a start. Now let's bring in a good DL coach to teach the kid how to play SEC quality football.
I remember USC passing on a Cook kid in high school who was 6'2" 225 lbs. in the 80's. He left SC State an All-American at 280 lbs. and played 11 years in the NFL.

So that qualifies you as an expert of recruiting. Where did you play college football and what is it that makes you think it's appropriate to insult every none 4* kid Carolina offers? I've been supporting Carolina since 1974 so what? I was a Gamecock when we lost to App State.. My point is that too many on here don't know a 50 defense from a single wing but know how to complain and question every aspect of recruiting. Agreed, it has been down over the past three years but still hold off on the insults until you make you first D1 start.

But the main issue is that we are still going after kids that the POWER 5 schools will not even offer... Everyone likes to bring up Norwood, Cooper, Thompson and think we have been successful before, so why not do it again? You are right that almost none of us have played D1, but the ones who are evaluating these guys that are giving out the 2* evaluations see that clearly they are not on the same level as the 4* guys due to either size,speed,athletic ability, and potential in college. You can have a 2* be a superstar, and you can have a 4* be a complete dud... But would you rather take a chance on someone who has a lot of upside/potential or try to coach that 2* up that will jump at any SEC offer because no other big time offer would be given to him? (I think all could agree with recruiting/taking the 4*). We can't try to "coach up" every single recruit we get. You have to have most on a team that has a God given ability in our league. Otherwise, we should move down to the AAC or SOCON and try to compete on the same talent level.

You super stars need to lighten up some on the judging and insulting of this kids. What's coming out of your pockets if we offer a 0 star..nothing. You're taking yourselves much to seriously.
We are just offering our opinion, & being fans, we're passionate about the team & incoming players. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be good, & by no means will we get back to seriously competing in the east bringing in 2nd & 3rd tier players. I mean its like you're blind to what's going on. You see the lack of talent in certain areas of the team yet you still defend our coaches for their less than stellar recruiting. Just how in the world do you expect us to get back to our winning ways, continuing to bring in 2 star talent on offense & defense along with our walk ons? Come on get real

This guy had nearly 200 tackles over the last two seasons. The truth is that there are just a few 4* or 5* out there and they all don't want to play at Carolina. Stop bashing the ones who do and give them a shot.

Reactions: BigTomE
I have an investment in the program...thank you very much...I have had an investment since 1989....I have had an opinion even longer than that.
I agree with you superflyby. The day we accept mediocre recruiting is the day we go back to being the old SC, doormats of the SEC. Who wants that? We should expect better & deserve better

Superfly, how many boxes of tissues do you go through every day??? Your whining and crying has apparently become uncontrollable.

This commitment is hardly newsworthy. You've obviously paid attention to this whole season's worth of news. This commitment means very little right now. Don't you know that??

News flash: We have lost our head coach! The remaining coaches will be dismissed at season's end. New coach will be hired. All commitments will be reassessed by new coaching staff. Many commitments will not be honored.

Therefore, NOTHING matters that is going on right now. Elliott will not be retained as HC. Spurrier Jr will not be retained as Recruiting Director. Ward, Hoke, Adams, and Botkin will all finally be released.

Take a deep breath and realize that Spurrier is gone. The season just needs to play out. The turnover will occur. Let's not bitch and moan about every little bit of news that is coming out.

In other words, give it a rest man!

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
No...but that tells me the programs that didn't recruit him...you know the ones we will be playing ...didn't think he was good enough. So...I guess those experts are better than our so called experts and it shows on the field too....now...anything else ?

Superfly, how many boxes of tissues do you go through every day??? Your whining and crying has apparently become uncontrollable.

This commitment is hardly newsworthy. You've obviously paid attention to this whole season's worth of news. This commitment means very little right now. Don't you know that??

News flash: We have lost our head coach! The remaining coaches will be dismissed at season's end. New coach will be hired. All commitments will be reassessed by new coaching staff. Many commitments will not be honored.

Therefore, NOTHING matters that is going on right now. Elliott will not be retained as HC. Spurrier Jr will not be retained as Recruiting Director. Ward, Hoke, Adams, and Botkin will all finally be released.

Take a deep breath and realize that Spurrier is gone. The season just needs to play out. The turnover will occur. Let's not bitch and moan about every little bit of news that is coming out.

In other words, give it a rest man!
I will make a comment about things positive and negative. It's what I have always done. I call it like I see it. I have said before if you see it different, so be it. I don't really care. This "we lost our coach and they are going to be gone" just shows you why you don't recruit kids that you are not going to coach and you don't leave offers on the table for someone else to honor. I wonder if you people have ever owned a business or worked for yourself. You make decisions based on long term results and you minimize your mistakes when possible not throwing crap against the wall. I hope the administration has more sense than our fan base......all this does is add another year and wasted scholarships with the program and new coaching staff. Your idea of success ?????

Reactions: gamecockblack
My point is if we never win another football game I won't make my life purpose to talk crap about every recruit I think doesn't meet my personal standards. If you bailed on Carolina today nobody would know or care so put you $$ that you think qualifies you to be a judge into another program and let the program run the program.. Better yet hit the recruiting path and see how many 5* you land us. Right now none of this commitment stuff matters and real students of football know that it will all change soon. I'm just sick of the insults and bashing of these kids from people who don't know anything about them other than how many stars some other guy things they deserve.

I agree with you superflyby. The day we accept mediocre recruiting is the day we go back to being the old SC, doormats of the SEC. Who wants that? We should expect better & deserve better

Uh......sadly....we're there now. We're gonna go 1-7 in conference this year & 4-8 overall.

My point is if we never win another football game I won't make my life purpose to talk crap about every recruit I think doesn't meet my personal standards. If you bailed on Carolina today nobody would know or care so put you $$ that you think qualifies you to be a judge into another program and let the program run the program.. Better yet hit the recruiting path and see how many 5* you land us. Right now none of this commitment stuff matters and real students of football know that it will all change soon. I'm just sick of the insults and bashing of these kids from people who don't know anything about them other than how many stars some other guy things they deserve.
Here again...I have my own opinion and just because someone doesn't agree doesn't make you right. If you have this "I'll tell everyone what to think" attitude I assure you, you are talking to the wrong person. You do things your way and I will do things my way. I told you before..I have no problem with your opinion...it's yours. I have a problem with YOU having a problem with my opinion. I didn't ask you to believe or agree with a damn thing I said.....I haven't insulted anyone...I said that this kid gets offers from teams we don't play and the teams we do play passed on him...as did every power 5 school....that is a damn fact !!!!!!

This guy had nearly 200 tackles over the last two seasons. The truth is that there are just a few 4* or 5* out there and they all don't want to play at Carolina. Stop bashing the ones who do and give them a shot.

I have to correct you on this- There are several 4* out there and fewer 5*. BUT the main point is that you have to only nab five or six 4* stars to be deemed a successful class that is filled out with higher 3*.

Not to mention stats can be deceiving. Prime example- my old HS Spartanburg HS (where Tavian Fester- 5* committed to Clemson at plays) had their QB Austin Scott throw for 650+ yards and 9 (NINE) touchdowns two weeks ago- but that doesn't mean he is a D1 prospect.

I think in general, we have given plenty of shots to 2* evaluated players by this current staff and see that the product on the field is directly correlated to the "evaluations" in the loss column.

Here again...I have my own opinion and just because someone doesn't agree doesn't make you right. If you have this "I'll tell everyone what to think" attitude I assure you, you are talking to the wrong person. You do things your way and I will do things my way. I told you before..I have no problem with your opinion...it's yours. I have a problem with YOU having a problem with my opinion. I didn't ask you to believe or agree with a damn thing I said.....I haven't insulted anyone...I said that this kid gets offers from teams we don't play and the teams we do play passed on him...as did every power 5 school....that is a damn fact !!!!!!
Got no problem with opinions Superflyby just the ones who use the words "crap" etc. when talking about these kids. OK let's forget it and move on we're all Gamecocks just I prefer to see the glass half full.

Reactions: superflyby
Do you challenge the weatherman too? Given the dumpster fire we've suddenly become, I trust the guys who rate the players over the evaluations made by our current crop of coaches.

One or two are fine to give a shot...we are giving a ton of them a shot. And I don't trust this staff to properly evaluate a 4 star, much much less a 2-star.

Superfly, we'll agree with the point about why Tanner is allowing Elliott to offer players. Tanner can certainly allow Elliott and staff to talk with and recruit as hard as they want. They are in a lengthy job interview so Tanner can't hold them back. However, recruiting and actually offering are 2 different things. Elliott is not in a position to offer anything. He's interim. There are limits to what he should be able to do.

So, I don't like that he can offer any kid right now on behalf of our university. He is signing USC up for something I don't believe he should be able to do. I also don't think Elliott's offers are worth any thing at all right now, and I don't think any kid's commitment is worth anything at all right now either.

I do believe us fans should have a more positive disposition right now. We, collectively, were whining pretty strong and we got what we wanted which was a coaching change. We should understand that anything between Spurrier stepping down and the new coach being hired is inconsequential, and not use it as another opportunity to bash our university. They are handling this pretty well, and I fully expect we'll have a really good coach come in. Time to let the bashing go, and start sunshine pumping! Fans helping the situation, not harming it.

Superfly, we'll agree with the point about why Tanner is allowing Elliott to offer players. Tanner can certainly allow Elliott and staff to talk with and recruit as hard as they want. They are in a lengthy job interview so Tanner can't hold them back. However, recruiting and actually offering are 2 different things. Elliott is not in a position to offer anything. He's interim. There are limits to what he should be able to do.

So, I don't like that he can offer any kid right now on behalf of our university. He is signing USC up for something I don't believe he should be able to do. I also don't think Elliott's offers are worth any thing at all right now, and I don't think any kid's commitment is worth anything at all right now either.

I do believe us fans should have a more positive disposition right now. We, collectively, were whining pretty strong and we got what we wanted which was a coaching change. We should understand that anything between Spurrier stepping down and the new coach being hired is inconsequential, and not use it as another opportunity to bash our university. They are handling this pretty well, and I fully expect we'll have a really good coach come in. Time to let the bashing go, and start sunshine pumping! Fans helping the situation, not harming it.
BINGO. Some Gamecock fans are not happy unless they're unhappy.

Nobody wanted a coaching change until...the coaching changed....see what I did there ? I agree we will all come back to our senses when a new coach is named...depending on who the coach is....I guess..lol. I will sunshine pump any and everything worth pumping. I am not going to it for the sake of doing it. Tanner should get a rein on things if he has ruled Elliott out, or even if Elliott is a long shot (and I think he is). That is sending the wrong message to the high schools and the kids. You are putting us in a position to take players commitments that may never see the campus in the fall because a new staff didn't want them....but they had offers so now we have a quagmire. This should be a hands off staff until a decision is made about the future. Coach the team the last few games and then see where we stand. This has been a bad year to try to bring in recruits so why tie up scholarships when there is no need to. These late offerings are a lose, lose !

Last edited:
Nobody wanted a coaching change until...the coaching changed....see what I did there ? I agree we will all come back to our senses when a new coach is named...depending on who the coach is....I guess..lol. I will sunshine pump any and everything worth pumping. I am not going to it for the sake of doing it. Tanner should get a rein on things if he has ruled Elliott out, or even if Elliott is a long shot (and I think he is). That is sending the wrong message to the high schools and the kids. You are putting us in a position to take players commitments that may never see the campus in the fall because a new staff didn't want them....but they had offers so now we have a quagmire. This should be a hands off staff until a decision is made about the future. Coach the team the last few games and then see where we stand. Theis has been a bad year to try to bring in recruits so why tie up scholarships when there is no need to. These late offerings is a lose, lose !
I think it will all come out in the wash it's been a disappointing 2014 and 2015. I know the coaches know how many stars these players have before an offer but they seem to seeing something they think would be worth the offer. For me, I'm just to sit back and pull for the Gamecocks.

I think it will all come out in the wash it's been a disappointing 2014 and 2015. I know the coaches know how many stars these players have before an offer but they seem to seeing something they think would be worth the offer. For me, I'm just to sit back and pull for the Gamecocks.
That's pretty much the only thing any of us can do. The stars are just a small part to a recruit and I know that. This staff is lame duck....hasn't had time to evaluate these kids on campus....there are so many things to consider before you offer and I can't see the justification for the offers. This kid took it because it was by far the best offer he had.....that is not a good way to get a class together. It has 'wasted' written all over it. We had 3, total 2 stars since 2011....total....we have 7 at last count in this class....that is sooooo wrong.

Well the tinfoil hat theorist in me thinks it is interesting we have a couple of commits from Alabama recently.

I will say he has the right kind of neck for a football player. If this kid can put on 30 pounds of solid weight it does seem like he can play dt.

I'm not questioning the kid, I'm questioning the coaches that are offering players that clearly have no business playing in the sec.

Reactions: Cocky4SC

Out of curiosity, what is this based on? Do you have information on what freedoms Tanner is allowing with our coach?

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT