ADVERTISEMENT

Alan Piercy did a great job on the feature about Jimmy Foster. I never liked Foster

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
but the feature story has changed my mind somewhat. But the way Alan Piercy wrote the story made Foster's past seem interesting.

Anybody besides me enjoy the story? For those that remember him what are you thoughts about Jimmy Foster?

Last edited:
Anybody besides me enjoy the story? For those that remember him what are you thoughts about Jimmy Foster.

He was in school when I was there....remember him well. My frat had two basketball players who were on the team. Foster was out there....but so were lots of us. Appears he has grown up.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
but the feature story has changed my mind somewhat. But the way Alan Piercy wrote the story made Foster's past seem interesting.

Why didn't you like Jimmy Foster, Freddie?...That seems an odd comment for a Gamecock fan...RMO III

Why didn't you like Jimmy Foster, Freddie?...That seems an odd comment for a Gamecock fan...RMO III

Well, I never really followed Gamecock BB after Frank left and I certainly didn't follow it when we were in the Metro. And all of the things I heard about Jimmy Foster were bad from the people I hear speak of Jimmy Foster.

Last edited:
Foster said, pausing. “I love the University of South Carolina”.

As a South Carolina alum, and fan, I love you too Jimmy Foster.

Many in the past have blamed Jimmy for the probation and embarrassment of the basketball program and athletic department, when in reality the blame belongs mostly with the University and their failure to exhibit control of the athletic program during that time.

Jimmy Foster gave his all to the University and the basketball program. I’m all for inviting and accepting him back to The University of South Carolina.

I also stillthink it’d sure be cool to sit down and have a beer with Jimmy Foster!

Foster was a good player. Played hard. Played tough. But his fight and hustle on the court were about his only redeeming values.

U never liked jimmy!!! Why he played like Pete Rose every time out! He sacrificed his body like few have done on our court before or since.....the master of taking a charge.

U never liked jimmy!!! Why he played like Pete Rose every time out! He sacrificed his body like few have done on our court before or since.....the master of taking a charge.

Again, I didn't follow Gamecock basketball that closely, especially at that time. It's the things I heard about him off the court that caused me to have a disparaging opinion about him and the trouble he caused the university.

Again, I didn't follow Gamecock basketball that closely, especially at that time. It's the things I heard about him off the court that caused me to have a disparaging opinion about him and the trouble he caused the university.

Oh, no doubt, but the stories about the rich boy out of Wade Hampton would curl a normal kids brain......we knew what we were getting.

Anybody besides me enjoy the story? For those that remember him what are you thoughts about Jimmy Foster?
He NEVER backed away from competitors. I watched a game once where there were 3 "trees" under the basket..Foster went up with the ball, and 2 trees hit the floor. Tough white boy!

Three mysteries I thought would never be resolved. Who was deep throat in Watergate, where is Jimmy Hoffas body, and where is that car and Jimmy Foster. Two outta three ain't bad.

Characters add intrigue and adventure to the world while they often dismantle it too. Foster used that approach in every aspect of his life it seems.

Good article, nice work by everyone involved to sort out the truth, if, of course, its all the truth. But hey, thats what makes it interesting.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Jimmy played hard...on and off the court. Played for Johnny Ross at WH. Is he allowed back in the country? Where can I find the article?

I went to HS with Jimmy. IIRC, he tried out for the Atlanta Hawks sometime during his 11th grade year which was his last. Came home with a black eye and rumor was he got it from Tree Rollins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT