ADVERTISEMENT

All AAA baseball parks to have electronic strike zone this year

ToddFlanders

Mar 30, 2007
I say it's about time - though full implementation of a robot umpire in MLB will take some time. You still need the home plate umpire to call out the balls and strikes, to judge plays in the vicinity of home plate, be the final arbiter in disputes, etc. However, none of these guys really know if a ball catches the edge of the plate. Let the professionals take that on with 100% accuracy - the robots!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35434317/sources-all-aaa-parks-use-electronic-strike-zone-23

The human aspect is part of the game. This is stupid.

Humans are still the ones playing the game - that isn't removed. This just ensures that everyone is playing the same game (and getting the same calls). In what other sport do the refs get to fundamentally change a rule and the players and league just have to accept it (like where the strike zone is)?

The use of technology isn't always able to be used (you can't replay everything or it really disrupts the flow of the game). But balls and strikes in a uniform strike zone can be called instantaneously. In fact, it can be called by a computer before it actually has time to process in the human mind.

I say it's about time - though full implementation of a robot umpire in MLB will take some time. You still need the home plate umpire to call out the balls and strikes, to judge plays in the vicinity of home plate, be the final arbiter in disputes, etc. However, none of these guys really know if a ball catches the edge of the plate. Let the professionals take that on with 100% accuracy - the robots!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35434317/sources-all-aaa-parks-use-electronic-strike-zone-23
Personal performance tendencies should not be eliminated. The role of the umpire should not be abridged. Incompetence will evidence itself, and that can then be eliminated.

Last edited:
I think I like this. Let me bust out my dictionary
I edited my remark to better reflect what I was trying to convey. "Foible" wasn't the best choice or words since it speaks more to character or personality trait than to personal performance variation..

Personal performance tendencies should not be eliminated. The role of the umpire should not be abridged. Incompetence will evidence itself, and that can then be eliminated.

But do fans come to see the umpires? Do they really want to see a guy called out on a ball a foot off the plate? There are a lot of charming aspects to the human elements of sports - but I've never heard that umpires and referees messing up was part of that. In fact, it seems to be the part of any game, in any sport, that fans like the least.

I want to see someone win a competition. Batter vs. pitcher, not batter vs pitcher vs umpire.

Reactions: uscwatson21
But do fans come to see the umpires? Do they really want to see a guy called out on a ball a foot off the plate? There are a lot of charming aspects to the human elements of sports - but I've never heard that umpires and referees messing up was part of that. In fact, it seems to be the part of any game, in any sport, that fans like the least.

I want to see someone win a competition. Batter vs. pitcher, not batter vs pitcher vs umpire.
I agree w you. I do not like the inconsistency in the strike zone depending on the ump. I’m ok with it.

Reactions: bayrooster
When in doubt, protect the plate. This probably wouldn't be a thing had that not gotten lost.

Reactions: Jbouton2

I'm a purist. I don't like messing with the grand old game. MLB has the ability to attract the best umpires available. If one turns out to be a dud, they have the ability to keep him from behind the plate until he can be cycled out. There's no use in - and no benefit to - changing the character of the game.

They are messing up college football. Now the sport nearest to my heart too? If it goes to machine deciding, that will take so much from the game. As KW said, the bad umpires are and will be weeded out.

Earl Weaver, Bobby Cox, Lou Pinella, Leo Durocher, Billy Martin arguing with the umps. No more. A great part of the game is gone.
Exactly. And, can you imagine how much batting averages would go up? Do you know what I’m saying?

I wonder if the following would occur during a batters appearance at the plate.

Strike 1, Ball 1, ERROR CODE 504, ERROR CODE 504. Please exit and try again. :(

Where will the robot be located? Maybe a George Brett type player will smash it with his bat.

Without the arguments, the umps, the stolen base, the hitting behind the runner, the brush back pitch, etc. ….. the game has become very boring.

Reactions: Cybercock
What I like about a larger than normal zone is it encourages swings. I dont think there has ever been a better time to encourage swings than now since protecting the plate seems to be a lost art. Or maybe you dont want a tight zone that may increase the chance the pitcher gets his head taken off. I hate those umps. Lol. An umpire can determine who your next pitcher is. Who is more accurate where the ump wants the ball? Some guys are more accurate on the left side of the plate than the right. How is he calling each of those? Maybe an ump has a low zone. Who has the best breaking ball? Who keeps the ball down better? Man I like to see all that kinda stuff being figured out. It's a huge a part of the game to just eliminate.

Earl Weaver, Bobby Cox, Lou Pinella, Leo Durocher, Billy Martin arguing with the umps. No more. A great part of the game is gone.

It’s been gone. Are any of those guys even alive? That part of the game is a relic - limited to memories and story time. Time to move the sport along.

• Haha
It’s been gone. Are any of those guys even alive? That part of the game is a relic - limited to memories and story time. Time to move the sport along.
You do see what "moving sports along" has gotten us, right? Im not just talking about baseball.
Sometimes change is not for the good,

Humans are still the ones playing the game - that isn't removed. This just ensures that everyone is playing the same game (and getting the same calls). In what other sport do the refs get to fundamentally change a rule and the players and league just have to accept it (like where the strike zone is)?

The use of technology isn't always able to be used (you can't replay everything or it really disrupts the flow of the game). But balls and strikes in a uniform strike zone can be called instantaneously. In fact, it can be called by a computer before it actually has time to process in the human mind.

Everything you state has merit. But, it's still 'just a game' and the refs/umps, who are definitely 'part of the game' have the same right (and ability) to screw up, as the players and coaches, and fans, and prognosticators, and odds makers and our own kids. In all respect, Let's not over think it. It's just a game.

Ted Williams divided the strike zone into 77 squares and he knew his batting average when swinging at pitches in every square. He studied to establish his own advantage. Gotta respect the dickens out of that.

I heard it was 48, ... the number of cubes in a case of Coca-Cola bottles. Urban Legend, that's what todays sports have lost. R.I.P. the Galloping Ghost, the New Year's Day Bowl Games, Half-Time Shows, Rivalries and Home Night Games.

Ted Williams divided the strike zone into 77 squares and he knew his batting average when swinging at pitches in every square. He studied to establish his own advantage. Gotta respect the dickens out of that.

What does this have to do if the umpire calls a ball a foot off the plate?

What does this have to do if the umpire calls a ball a foot off the plate?
Doubt that has ever happened. An inch, or two, sometimes three. Horizontal or vertical. The batter and pitcher have to figure it out. If they take this subjective part away it will ruin the game imo

Doubt that has ever happened. An inch, or two, sometimes three. Horizontal or vertical. The batter and pitcher have to figure it out. If they take this subjective part away it will ruin the game imo
Why couldn’t you have a slightly variable but consistent strike zone from game to game. Could be completely random with a variable range. That way they still have to find the corner but it’s consistent.

Cathers wearing an earpiece. Computers calling balls & strikes?

Don't like it, not for baseball. The game of baseball is like a fine antique and does not need enhancement.

Cathers wearing an earpiece. Computers calling balls & strikes?

Don't like it, not for baseball. The game of baseball is like a fine antique and does not need enhancement.
I guess if you enjoy watching lead paint dry to the wall. The game definitely needs some work.

Reactions: 1982cock

This is the weirdest take ever. The only thing it will do is eliminate invalid strikeouts.

It will probably make the game more offensive which will be a treat to all the fans.

Reactions: davebodiddly
This is the weirdest take ever. The only thing it will do is eliminate invalid strikeouts.

It will probably make the game more offensive which will be a treat to all the fans.
Not ALL of the fans love offense and home runs.
Granted today's fans may prefer that however a true baseball aficionado more appreciates the intricacies of the game.
I suppose the game will sell out to the whims of those paying the bills. Ignorance is bliss

Reactions: hillstosea
Why couldn’t you have a slightly variable but consistent strike zone from game to game. Could be completely random with a variable range. That way they still have to find the corner but it’s consistent.
They have that. They are called umpires

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT