ADVERTISEMENT

All Tanner had to do was hire Jamey Chadwell from Coastal.

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
It blows my mind why it's so difficult for him to make the right decision. I guess if you can't hire the right baseball coach how can we expect him to hire the right football coach. The first mistake made was not firing Ray Tanner before Will Muschamp. Chadwell would have brought his entire staff. No time lost on coaches learning to work together. Just hit the ground running with a proven winner that's been a head coach. Knows this State. Can recruit and understands the expectations. Instead we are going to hire Shane Beamer. An assistant no school has hired as a head coach in 20 years. Wonder why?I know he loves USC. If he doesn't get this job he will love some other school as much. Furthermore, I respect previous players, but they should have no say. They know Beamer. If they knew Chadwell they would think highly of him. Unfortunately things aren't changing until Ray Tanner is gone.

Last edited:
Freeze, Chadwell, Napier in that order.

Unfortunately the real order for Ray is:

#1 Beamer
#2 Beamer
#3 Beamer
#4 Beamer
#5 Satterfield
#6 Napier
#7 Herman
#8 Rich Rod
#9 Derek Dooley
#10 Muschamp again
#11 Jim McElwain
#12 Bobo
#13 Shut down all men's sports programs and become a WBB only school
Maybe because Beamer is the best choice for our program at the moment

I’m behind whom ever gets the job, but we’re going to regret not getting Chadwell.
He really wanted the job but we turned him down. Freeze had interest in us but he was never a serious candidate, we were never going to hire him due to baggage. Beamer's grassroot campaign of former players and coaches, and his PR team won him the job, nobody else was seriously considered.

He really wanted the job but we turned him down. Freeze had interest in us but he was never a serious candidate, we were never going to hire him due to baggage. Beamer's grassroot campaign of former players and coaches, and his PR team won him the job, nobody else was seriously considered.
Chadwell probably was going to beat us this year. We did have them ths year, right?

What makes Chadwell a sure thing? I cannot understand how someone could have a strong opinion about this without calling BS.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Ray, but dang, people, let's wait to see who he hires before we trash his decision. There could be any number of reasons why a decision has not been made/announced, not the least of which is that many of our candidates are still coaching their teams and trying to win ballgames. I'd be reluctant to hire a guy who doesn't have enough loyalty to his current team to see them through an undefeated regular season.

Maybe because Beamer is the best choice for our program at the moment
Why in heaven's name do you think that? There sure is a lot of PR going for a guy that was here 3 years and has jumped all over not ever getting a HC job. Qualifications as cheerleaders have it, he really wants the job, ex-players liked him, has been all over the place with lots of different coaches and finally has his Dad's name, Beamer.

Here in Tennessee....the rumblings that got Fulmer out as coach over ONE bad season has cost them dearly...they've never been the same football team since...

At one time, getting tickets to the Vols games was like getting tickets for Bristol Raceway, TOUGH AS HELL....Now, you can get them for a couple of dollars at both venues just before the event...

Let's be careful what we wish for....so I will go ahead and wish: I wish Ray Tanner would hire Napier..but of course he will not....He will hire someone whom he can get for cheap...we will be like UT, one of the bottom feeders of the SEC East for years to come...

Last edited:
Reactions: 43cocks and midline
Here in Tennessee....the rumblings that fot Fulmer out as coach over ONE bad season has cost them dearly...they've never been the same football team since...

At one time, getting tickets to the Vols games was like getting tickets for Bristol Raceway, TOUGH AS HELL....Now, you can get them for a couple of dollars at both venues just before the event...

Let's be careful what we wish for....so I will go ahead and wish: I wish Ray Tanner would hire Napier..but of course he will not....He will hire someone whom he can get for cheap...we will be like UT, one of the bottom feeders of the SEC East for years to come...
Couple things: yes Tennessee has been in rough shape since firing Fulmer after his second losing season in 4 or 5 years.

If UT is a bottom feeder in Sec east since firing Fulmer but is 6-6 against Carolina while we have been a dumpster fire, what does that make Carolina?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Couple things: yes Tennessee has been in rough shape since firing Fulmer after his second losing season in 4 or 5 years.

If UT is a bottom feeder in Sec east since firing Fulmer but is 6-6 against Carolina while we have been a dumpster fire, what does that make Carolina?
We've been to better bowl games than UT in the last 12 years....we beat a #1 Bama team...We've beaten UGA more times than UT...so I guess that makes us...well, more fun to watch!!!!

Freeze, Chadwell, Napier in that order.

Unfortunately the real order for Ray is:

#1 Beamer
#2 Beamer
#3 Beamer
#4 Beamer
#5 Satterfield
#6 Napier
#7 Herman
#8 Rich Rod
#9 Derek Dooley
#10 Muschamp again
#11 Jim McElwain
#12 Bobo
#13 Shut down all men's sports programs and become a WBB only school
Nope

It blows my mind why it's so difficult for him to make the right decision. I guess if you can't hire the right baseball coach how can we expect him to hire the right football coach. The first mistake made was not firing Ray Tanner before Will Muschamp. Chadwell would have brought his entire staff. No time lost on coaches learning to work together. Just hit the ground running with a proven winner that's been a head coach. Knows this State can can recruit and understands the expectations. Instead we are going to hire Shane Beamer. An assistant no school has hired as a head coach in 20 years. Wonder why?I know he loves USC. If he doesn't get this job he will love some other school as much. Furthermore, I respect previous players, but they should have no say. They know Beamer. If they knew Chadwell they would think highly of him. Unfortunately things aren't changing until Ray Tanner us gone.

Tanner's specialty is making dumb hires. He will hire a coach that has no HC, DC, or OC experience. He will hire someone who has never been given the repsonsibility of running a program. Most of all he will hire someone no one else wants. Beamer. In a year or two after that, when the nail is in the coffin, the folks will say Carolina is a coach's graveyard. No, it is a dumb decision makers paradise.

Tanner's specialty is making dumb hires. He will hire a coach that has no HC, DC, or OC experience. He will hire someone who has never been given the repsonsibility of running a program. Most of all he will hire someone no one else wants. Beamer. In a year or two after that, when the nail is in the coffin, the folks will say Carolina is a coach's graveyard. No, it is a dumb decision makers paradise.
Exactly. If he hires Shane Beamer it's ridiculous.

Do you have inside info that this true?

Yes.....nothing specific, but was told that if Tanner was the ultimate decision maker on Muschamp being let go during or after this year, he would have accounted for and received approval of buy-outs of all coaches, regardless of whether needed or not. He is a planner (and did that when trying to attract Muschamp as Spurrier's DC). Was also told that Tanner has gotten the Muschamp buy-out taken care of....before or after the fact, I wasn't told.

I was also told that there has been some back-channel talks between Tanner (USC agents) and a coach for about a year.

Who does that leave out and who could it include? Who knows, but a big hint could come from the Miss State search a year ago. I also know from prior discussion that as long as Pastides was here, Tanner had no problem getting approval from the board or legislature for anything he felt was necessary.

What makes Chadwell a sure thing? I cannot understand how someone could have a strong opinion about this without calling BS.
He's not a sure thing. However, why would you hire someone nobody has wanted as head coach for twenty years over him. Beamer is just a bad choice. Chadwell would be a better choice. So would Napier

Last edited:
I can say Chadwell had a WR at CSU. Kameron Brown. Chadwell left. And when the WR became a graduate transfer. He went to Coastal to play under Chadwell again.
Ringing endorsement.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I’m behind whom ever gets the job, but we’re going to regret not getting Chadwell.
I agree in time we will but from everything I’ve read Chadwell was trying to bring his entire staff along and as much as I like Chadwell a complete staff from CCU isn’t the right fit for a SEC program

I dont think Ray is even making this decision. Caslen and BOT seem to be really heavy handed in everything going on so far. My guess is Ray ends up "retiring" soon and can be used as a scapegoat if this hire goes bad.

Reactions: rogue cock

"Train Wreck"

This was the cheap hire. We will be doing this again in 5 years I'm afraid. Some things never change.

It blows my mind why it's so difficult for him to make the right decision. I guess if you can't hire the right baseball coach how can we expect him to hire the right football coach. The first mistake made was not firing Ray Tanner before Will Muschamp. Chadwell would have brought his entire staff. No time lost on coaches learning to work together. Just hit the ground running with a proven winner that's been a head coach. Knows this State. Can recruit and understands the expectations. Instead we are going to hire Shane Beamer. An assistant no school has hired as a head coach in 20 years. Wonder why?I know he loves USC. If he doesn't get this job he will love some other school as much. Furthermore, I respect previous players, but they should have no say. They know Beamer. If they knew Chadwell they would think highly of him. Unfortunately things aren't changing until Ray Tanner is gone.

Tanner is a baseball coach, Period. He should have never been named Athletics Director.

No one is a guarantee, see Jim Harbaugh.

You can have a strong opinion by doing your own due diligence and making an informed decision. Those that said Muschamp was a dumb hire, were they idiots?

No one knows what is really being talked about by Caslen and Ray. What motivations may be driving the decision. I think it is well knows that they don’t have an open check book, so that is a consideration but not the only consideration. Are we going to pay Urban Meyer 10 million? No, can’t afford that. He will want another 7 million for staff. This university can’t afford a $17 million commitment above and beyond what they already have to pay.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT