ADVERTISEMENT

Am I correct relative to this record? No program has been to the CWS more than the

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
holes without winning a National Championship? I want to say I heard that are read than a number of years ago.

I am wrong, FSU has been to the CWS 22 times and has never won the NC. Gosh, that is some record.

FSU is first in CWS futility (by a long shot) with 22 appearances, Clemson is 2nd, with 12 appearances, and UNC is 3rd with 11 appearances... 45 combined appearances between the three schools with exactly zero championships.

Granted, they have flourished in football (FSU/Clem) and basketball (UNC) to a much greater degree than USC, but the CWS championship has eluded those three. FSU and UNC have at least appeared in a championship game/series - something Clemson has not accomplished.

Meanwhile, USC has six championship game/series appearances in 11 trips to Omaha, with four runner up finishes ('75, '77, '02, '12) and two championships ('10, '11).

Carolina is also 10th in CWS wins (32), with the third best winning percentage (.615), and the second best wins per appearance (2.91). USC has accomplished this in only 11 CWS appearances, while the rest of the top ten has between 17 and 35 appearances.

The Cocks don't get to Omaha quite as often as the other elite programs, but when they do, they are very successful.

Pretty impressive!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series#Team_appearances

Last edited:
FSU is first in CWS futility (by a long shot) with 22 appearances, Clemson is 2nd, with 12 appearances, and UNC is 3rd with 11 appearances... 45 combined appearances between the three schools with exactly zero championships.

Granted, they have flourished in football (FSU/Clem) and basketball (UNC) to a much greater degree than USC, but the CWS championship has eluded those three. FSU and UNC have at least appeared in a championship game/series - something Clemson has not accomplished.

Meanwhile, USC has six championship game/series appearances in 11 trips to Omaha, with four runner up finishes ('75, '77, '02, '12) and two championships ('10, '11).

Carolina is also 10th in CWS wins (32), with the third best winning percentage (.615), and the second best wins per appearance (2.91). USC has accomplished this in only 11 CWS appearances, while the rest of the top ten has between 17 and 35 appearances.

The Cocks don't get to Omaha quite as often as the other elite programs, but when they do, they are very successful.

Pretty impressive!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series#Team_appearances

The most interesting University in the world?? Sorry, could not resist a take off on the Dos Equis commercials.

Not just CWS wins, but postseason wins overall. After we lost Game 1 vs OU in 2010(CWS), we didn't lose again in the NCAA postseason (Regionals, Supers, CWS) until the Arkansas game in 2012(CWS).

Wow.. I had no recollection of losing to Arkansas before making the championship series.. Not sure how I forgot that. For some reason thought we had made it to the Final through the winner's bracket that year too

Wow.. I had no recollection of losing to Arkansas before making the championship series.. Not sure how I forgot that. For some reason thought we had made it to the Final through the winner's bracket that year too
Lost to Arkansas in Game 2 that year. We then went on to beat Kent State, and Arkansas (twice) to advance to the Championship Series.

Clemson, UNC, and FSU: Gotta love the futility of the ACC.

O for 45 in Omaha for those three and one championship in the last 63 years for the conference.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The best part of this stat is that they average 1 win per trip. Their record in those 12 trips is 12-26.

So, not to pile on, but I doubt anybody will mind... Clemson has 12 wins all-time in Omaha. Carolina had 11 wins combined in 2010 and 2011. Add another four wins in 2012, and Carolina has 25% more CWS wins over a three year span than Clemson does in the history of their program. Ouch.

Clemson has gotten the better of Carolina in recent years, but make no mistake about it, no Clemson fan wants to talk baseball when it comes to this rivalry.

So, not to pile on, but I doubt anybody will mind... Clemson has 12 wins all-time in Omaha. Carolina had 11 wins combined in 2010 and 2011. Add another four wins in 2012, and Carolina has 25% more CWS wins over a three year span than Clemson does in the history of their program. Ouch.

Clemson has gotten the better of Carolina in recent years, but make no mistake about it, no Clemson fan wants to talk baseball when it comes to this rivalry.

And I like that very much! And that's why we must put as much into our baseball program as need be to keep it at the top. It is our glowing crown of our entire sports program along with women's basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT