ADVERTISEMENT

An Arizona man has died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate

Rollerdude123

Apr 8, 2011
Arizona man dies after ingesting substance touted by President Trump

https://ktar.com/story/3040369/arizona-man-dies-after-ingesting-substance-touted-by-president-trump/

PHOENIX – Hospital officials are warning against home remedies for COVID-19 after a metro Phoenix man died and his wife was hospitalized when they ingested a chemical touted by President Donald Trump as a possible coronavirus treatment.

During a press conference last week, and again Monday, Trump mentionedthat chloroquine, a drug long used to prevent malaria, had shown the potential to combat COVID-19.

The substance, also known as chloroquine phosphate, hasn’t gone through rigorous scientific testing as a coronavirus treatment.

Chloroquine and a similar drug, hydroxychloroquine, showed encouraging signs in small, early tests against the coronavirus. But the drugs have major side effects, one reason scientists don’t want to give them without evidence of their value, even in this emergency.

In a different form, chloroquine phosphate is sold as an additive to deal with infections and algae in fish tanks.

Dr. Daniel Brooks, Banner Poison and Drug Information Center medical director, told KTAR News 92.3 FM the aquarium form and medical form are “the same chemical structure.”

The Valley couple, both in their 60s, were concerned about symptoms and reportedly saw information online suggesting aquarium products could be used to combat coronavirus.

“Which is absolutely wrong and unfortunately potentially dangerous,” Brooks said.
He added that it appears the couple ingested the equivalent of several days worth of the compound as it would have been prescribed as medicine.

They felt sick within 30 minutes, Brooks said. The man died shortly after arriving at an emergency room. The woman was resuscitated and is being cared for at a Phoenix Banner hospital.

“Before taking the product they had not been tested,” Brooks said.

Brooks said the only patients who should take any kind of prescription medication for COVID-19 are those diagnosed with the illness and requiring treatment in an intensive care unit.

Experts say anybody experiencing COVID-19 symptoms — which include cough, fever and shortness of breath — who are concerned they are infected should reach out to a health care professional for guidance. Brooks said to stick with state and local health departments as sources of information about coronavirus.

Already approved drugs are tempting for doctors to use off label, but formal studies are needed to see if they truly work for a new purpose or disease, said Dr. Ross McKinney Jr., chief scientific officer for the Association of American Medical Colleges, which represents about 400 major teaching hospitals across the country.

Chloroquine may look promising in a test tube, but “I’m skeptical it will be effective” in patients, he said last week in a call with reporters

Last edited:
OGC.843869bc2b8661e29fb134e0bc010423

LT Governor of Texas has spoken. Grandparents are now willing to die so economy can get back on track.

We will go forward as a country and be forced as individuals to make tough decisions in an extremely variable environment. Work-don't work, go out-stay in, take fish parasite poison or don't. Well, the latter is not hard, but there is a certain portion of the population who won't be able to navigate these choices. More sad and disturbing stories are coming our way.

Reactions: king ward
3 people with not a clue in the world give medical advice on Fox & Friends.

You just love to give bad news when it involves hurting Trump. You live for it regardless of how good something might be. This is only one incident, nothing is 100% effective. Dr. Oz stated on the news tonight that he is in favor of performing a clinical trial as well as administering the drug when no other options are available. A well known doctor in France stated he would use the combination on his patients as well as himself.

I agree there has to be more data collected before anyone can say for sure. But there were two patients on Fox News that were interviewed and both said the drug combination worked perfectly for them.

You just love to give bad news when it involves hurting Trump. You live for it regardless of how good something might be. This is only one incident, nothing is 100% effective. Dr. Oz stated on the news tonight that he is in favor of performing a clinical trial as well as administering the drug when no other options are available. A well known doctor in France stated he would use the combination on his patients as well as himself.

I agree there has to be more data collected before anyone can say for sure. But there were two patients on Fox News that were interviewed and both said the drug combination worked perfectly for them.

The two people that are the subjects of the article didn't take medication. They ingested a substance used to maintain the cleanliness of a fish tank.

that I despise Trump is only part of the reason I post about his stupid antics. It’s also fun.

I’m all for proper medications being used when they are properly tested for COVID19 patients. If that’s next week or 3 months from now, that’s ok.

that a few folks said it helped them is fine, but it’s not proof, and it’s not good enough to go prescribing for thousands of people - yet.

There are significant side effects with that particular medication that makes it very dangerous with people for certain comorbidities. That’s why any mention of it on Fox News needs to also include warnings for the idiots out there that think they can take it themselves.

Reactions: trekcock
Sad story but
that I despise Trump is only part of the reason I post about his stupid antics. It’s also fun.

I’m all for proper medications being used when they are properly tested for COVID19 patients. If that’s next week or 3 months from now, that’s ok.

that a few folks said it helped them is fine, but it’s not proof, and it’s not good enough to go prescribing for thousands of people - yet.

There are significant side effects with that particular medication that makes it very dangerous with people for certain comorbidities. That’s why any mention of it on Fox News needs to also include warnings for the idiots out there that think they can take it themselves.
Trump nor anyone on Foxnews has said to go try this on your own and see if it works. They've simply stated they're hopeful it may be effective once testing is completed. This is just a tragic case of very bad decision making.

3 people with not a clue in the world give medical advice on Fox & Friends.

You sure have a hate on for Foxnews and Trump... I need to post more actual uncut versions on Foxnews so you can get the correct news instead of relying on cut and paste from Bad Fox Graphics...

No one forces you to watch Foxnews, while in the airports and doctor's office, you're force to watch CNN and MSNBC...They have to pay for their viewers and yet Foxnews get the most viewers and ratings 100 time more than CNN and MSNBC...

MAGA!!!

https://ktar.com/story/3040369/arizona-man-dies-after-ingesting-substance-touted-by-president-trump/

PHOENIX – Hospital officials are warning against home remedies for COVID-19 after a metro Phoenix man died and his wife was hospitalized when they ingested a chemical touted by President Donald Trump as a possible coronavirus treatment.

During a press conference last week, and again Monday, Trump mentionedthat chloroquine, a drug long used to prevent malaria, had shown the potential to combat COVID-19.

The substance, also known as chloroquine phosphate, hasn’t gone through rigorous scientific testing as a coronavirus treatment.

Chloroquine and a similar drug, hydroxychloroquine, showed encouraging signs in small, early tests against the coronavirus. But the drugs have major side effects, one reason scientists don’t want to give them without evidence of their value, even in this emergency.

In a different form, chloroquine phosphate is sold as an additive to deal with infections and algae in fish tanks.

Dr. Daniel Brooks, Banner Poison and Drug Information Center medical director, told KTAR News 92.3 FM the aquarium form and medical form are “the same chemical structure.”

The Valley couple, both in their 60s, were concerned about symptoms and reportedly saw information online suggesting aquarium products could be used to combat coronavirus.

“Which is absolutely wrong and unfortunately potentially dangerous,” Brooks said.
He added that it appears the couple ingested the equivalent of several days worth of the compound as it would have been prescribed as medicine.

They felt sick within 30 minutes, Brooks said. The man died shortly after arriving at an emergency room. The woman was resuscitated and is being cared for at a Phoenix Banner hospital.

Brooks said the only patients who should take any kind of prescription medication for COVID-19 are those diagnosed with the illness and requiring treatment in an intensive care unit.

Experts say anybody experiencing COVID-19 symptoms — which include cough, fever and shortness of breath — who are concerned they are infected should reach out to a health care professional for guidance. Brooks said to stick with state and local health departments as sources of information about coronavirus.

Already approved drugs are tempting for doctors to use off label, but formal studies are needed to see if they truly work for a new purpose or disease, said Dr. Ross McKinney Jr., chief scientific officer for the Association of American Medical Colleges, which represents about 400 major teaching hospitals across the country.

Chloroquine may look promising in a test tube, but “I’m skeptical it will be effective” in patients, he said last week in a call with reporters

It's not a minor point: They did not die after ingesting the chemical touted by Trump as a possible treatment for coronavirus.

You're a special kind of gullible.

Sad story but

Trump nor anyone on Foxnews has said to go try this on your own and see if it works. They've simply stated they're hopeful it may be effective once testing is completed. This is just a tragic case of very bad decision making.

But the problem is that this has to go through proper clinical trials tests against this virus before it can be greenlighted for people to use which will take some time.
I work for a Clinical Research Org in RTP, and even existing drugs have to go through rigorous tests if the intent is to use it against new ailments which there is no data on. I'm not saying put it to the back of the line but allow time for proper tests to be conducted.

fox & Friends this morning touting drug therapy that hasn’t been approved to quickly wipe out the virus, predictably falling in line with trump

He ingested aquarium cleaner which contained the drug

Fox&friends is usually a disaster. That’s why there are parody accounts that document their mistakes.

Sir, with all due respect.....one should not despise any President, be it Obama, Bush, Clinton OR Trump. And, I know you didn't say it in that context. The media has portrayed this as a crisis and it "appears", at least so far they are correct. And even if they are wrong our nation is hurting in many ways …. in some aspects as bad as WW2. We ALL need to pray for our President period. We need to encourage and help each other. My wife and son found out, that by Friday their employment will be over, at least for the time being. So, let's be fair, honest and concerned for others. Yes, these folks made a bad judgement and they paid a horrible price. I believe in my heart, be it Obama or Trump, these two men are/were doing their best to get the country on the right track through their own paradigm. Again, let's pull together and get through this horrible storm. At my house we PRAY specifically for our/your President Trump and his staff for GOD's favor and help. I strongly recommend you and your family do the same!

Sir, with all due respect.....one should not despise any President, be it Obama, Bush, Clinton OR Trump. And, I know you didn't say it in that context. The media has portrayed this as a crisis and it "appears", at least so far they are correct. And even if they are wrong our nation is hurting in many ways …. in some aspects as bad as WW2. We ALL need to pray for our President period. We need to encourage and help each other. My wife and son found out, that by Friday their employment will be over, at least for the time being. So, let's be fair, honest and concerned for others. Yes, these folks made a bad judgement and they paid a horrible price. I believe in my heart, be it Obama or Trump, these two men are/were doing their best to get the country on the right track through their own paradigm. Again, let's pull together and get through this horrible storm. At my house we PRAY specifically for our/your President Trump and his staff for GOD's favor and help. I strongly recommend you and your family do the same!

The good thing is we can agree to disagree.

I largely felt the same about Obama in many ways, but my despising Trump has exceeded the Obama level.

This rollerdude checks all the boxes for classic troll. He‘s like a yard dog barking at the moon.

He's not clever enough to be a troll. He's just gullible. A simple, naive kind of person. I don't think he has malicious intent; he's just foolish.

I wasn't through the first sentence of the article before I realized it was bogus. Once I got to "home remedies" I knew this man hadn't taken any actual drug.

Reactions: aceman39
that’s not what he said at all.

of course the problem with the Lt Governor’s idiotic statement is that by the very nature of the virus, people don't always get to pick and choose who gets it. So he’s willing to die or commit suicide, but other people might not be.

Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick said on Fox News Monday night that "lots of" grandparents would be willing to die in order in to save the economy for their grandchildren.

What they're saying: "No one reached out to me and said, as a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren? And if that's the exchange, I'm all in," Patrick said on air.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-t...die-172ca951-891c-44e7-a9ec-77c486e0c5c3.html

The best cure I've heard so far is the one about blowing hot air from a blow dryer up your nose to kill Covid19.

I largely felt the same about Obama in many ways, but my despising Trump has exceeded the Obama level.
Agreed, Sir, none of us Trump supporters love all that he does. At times, and most times, he appears most arrogant and sometimes condescending as well. BUT, he has done so much for this country in so many ways. And, to me and I would say most voters (majority) would re-elect him now, based on his current competitors. Again, absolutely no disrespect to VP Biden or Senator Sanders but could you see 80+ year old's handling this kind of pressure and both will be that in the middle/end of their terms....NO WAY. I consider my self a senior citizen or at least close to that (approaching Social Security)….no way those guys could have handled what this nation is facing and, as bad as I hate to say, may face again. We have the best of the 3 right now handling the biggest problem ever faced. Even WW2 didn't have the financial/life loss "potential" that this could cause. 4 more years please! Trump is a businessman and knows how to get things done. He is NOT a politician and is still rough around the edges. Seriously, look at your neighbors, friends and other's 401k (prior to this catastrophe) and say you/they are not better. Again, I respect your political view....but look at the bigger picture for all people.

I don’t believe that, but you’re welcome to say that. I’d wager most here don’t believe you either.

I’m reading your posts, and while you’re making an attempt to feel smart, you’re failing.

You went out of your way to highlight that a drug like Plaquenil has major side effects, but it’s actually on WHO’s list of safest drugs. It’s been on the market since 1955, and has been used heavily to fight malaria. My wife takes it for RA. There’s over 5 million people taking it already just in this country.

Any drug has the risk of major side effects. The stupid people you mentioned in your article decided to take aquarium cleaner at a dose exponentially higher than what normally would be prescribed of the actual drug. Go to your medicine cabinet right now, and take 10 grams of Tylenol or Ibuprofen, see how that works for you.

President Trump didn’t tout aquarium cleaner as a treatment. It’s a poorly written article, designed to draw in clueless people. It worked on you.

Ventilator versus respirator? The two are confused all the time. Some old time RT’s still call them respirators.

Dr Siegel possibly touching his face? So what?

Dan Patrick didn’t say that “lots of grandparents would be willing to die”.

Ainsley Earhardt didn’t predict that Coronavirus would be eliminated in 2 weeks.

Basically, all you’ve done is post pathetic clickbait. Be smarter than that.

He is NOT a politician and is still rough around the edges. Seriously, look at your neighbors, friends and other's 401k (prior to this catastrophe) and say you/they are not better. Again, I respect your political view....but look at the bigger picture for all people.

He is a politician. He’s by definition a politician. saying a politician is not a politician is ridiculous.

I like the “rough around the edges” excuse for a 70+ year old businessman that says things that are silly, childish, and many times factually wrong. I guess this is an extension of the “just locker room talk” excuse when he bragged about grabbing women by their private parts.

my 401 k has been rising for years. As I have said numerous times, my 401k did very well under Obama too. But I didn’t vote for him either. So mentioning my 401k is meaningless in that context.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Agreed, Sir, none of us Trump supporters love all that he does. At times, and most times, he appears most arrogant and sometimes condescending as well. BUT, he has done so much for this country in so many ways. And, to me and I would say most voters (majority) would re-elect him now, based on his current competitors. Again, absolutely no disrespect to VP Biden or Senator Sanders but could you see 80+ year old's handling this kind of pressure and both will be that in the middle/end of their terms....NO WAY. I consider my self a senior citizen or at least close to that (approaching Social Security)….no way those guys could have handled what this nation is facing and, as bad as I hate to say, may face again. We have the best of the 3 right now handling the biggest problem ever faced. Even WW2 didn't have the financial/life loss "potential" that this could cause. 4 more years please! Trump is a businessman and knows how to get things done. He is NOT a politician and is still rough around the edges. Seriously, look at your neighbors, friends and other's 401k (prior to this catastrophe) and say you/they are not better. Again, I respect your political view....but look at the bigger picture for all people.

Biden is 77. Sanders is 78. Trump is a fast food-gobbling 73 who believes the human body is like a battery, so he doesn't exercise to conserve energy. lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...0b9bda-365d-11e7-b4ee-434b6d506b37_story.html

https://latest.com/2017/05/sad-worl...rmina-trump-follows-alone-and-in-a-golf-card/

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Ventilator versus respirator? The two are confused all the time. Some old time RT’s still call them respirators.

Dr Siegel possibly touching his face? So what?

Dan Patrick didn’t say that “lots of grandparents would be willing to die”.

Ainsley Earhardt didn’t predict that Coronavirus would be eliminated in 2 weeks.

Basically, all you’ve done is post pathetic clickbait. Be smarter than that.

Ventilators and respirators are confused all the time? By who? Morons?

just amusing to see a Dr on Fox (one who 3 weeks ago said this was just the flu) touching his face on tv while telling people not to touch their face. Just an observation.

Yes, Dan Patrick did say that.
“As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves for its children and grandchildren?’ And if that is the exchange, I’m all in,” Patrick told Carlson. Those of us who are 70 plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country,” he said.

That was stupid. Many people 70+, like my mom, can’t take care of herself to any great extent anymore. So it was a really stupid suggestion.

Ill quote Ainsley from this morning AINSLEY: What if these drugs work, then can we wipe this out? And could we wipe it out BEFORE the 15 days? Or the week after?

reality- NO ONE in the medical community has suggested we will wipe this out in 2-3 weeks. That was a really dumb to even mention such a timeline. But Ainsley routinely says really dumb things.

For many, it’s always someone’s else’s fault.
Exactly. Somewhere someone has taught our nation to blame others for dumb mistakes. I'll say it. Those people in Arizona are stupid and that was a clear case of natural selection.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT