ADVERTISEMENT

An honest question for all quempsum fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Do you look at the quempsum 1981 so called National Championship in football with a source of pride? I mean, how could any tater fan stick their chest out knowing all of the penalties that followed the next year? The sanctions administered against quempsum by the NCAA in 1982 were the most severe ever handed down to any college / university in the history of college sports at that time.

Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in future cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum. I forget how many violations the NCAA found quempsum guilty of during the investigation but, again, it was the most ever committed by any college or university until that time.

Under today's rules any national championship would be rescinded if it were determined that such cheating occurred in order to win said championship.

So, again, I am just wondering, if it is a source of pride that all quempsum fans look to and say we WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN FOOTBALL?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Do you look at the quempsum 1981 so called National Championship in football with a source of pride? I mean, how could any tater fan stick their chest out knowing all of the penalties that followed the next year? The sanctions administered against quempsum by the NCAA in 1982 were the most severe ever handed down to any college / university in the history of college sports at that time.

Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in further cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum. I forget how many violations the NCAA found quempsum guilty of during the investigation but, again, it was the most ever committed by any college or university until that time.

Under today's rules any national championship would be rescinded if it were determined that such cheating occurred in order to win said championship.

So, again, I am just wondering, if it is a source of pride that all quempsum fans look to and say we WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN FOOTBALL?

Thank you.
Yes. And you would too if the same thing happened at South Carolina, even though you won't admit it.

Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in further cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum. I forget how many violations the NCAA found quempsum guilty of during the investigation but, again, it was the most ever committed by any college or university until that time.

Thank you.

Without a doubt , it is looked at as a great accomplishment. I think it is somewhat funny that with all the cheating that goes on in the SEC you believe that your program could pass that level of scrutiny. That was when the NCAA had teeth, now they just look the other way ..so many examples scam newton , the southern cal debacle , fsu , etc.. That time wa snot a golden era od SC football either... you proud of the steroid scandal that rocked the nation with the SC article in Sports Illustrated? I mean really , what is that saying , people in "glass houses"....

I personally don't think the cheating ever stopped in the Ford era. Some schools have to cheat in order to stay a little ahead of their rivals. Clemson is a prime example and will have to resort to cheating to compete in the years to come if they aren't already doing it with their south Florida recruiting.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
Yes it is a great accomplishment and you would feel the same way if it was your coots......and your just flat out lying if you don't.

You Taters really should have gotten the death penalty back then. Now you are pulling 5 star players out of Fla with "rich uncles" LOL

Without a doubt , it is looked at as a great accomplishment. I think it is somewhat funny that with all the cheating that goes on in the SEC you believe that your program could pass that level of scrutiny. That was when the NCAA had teeth, now they just look the other way ..so many examples scam newton , the southern cal debacle , fsu , etc.. That time wa snot a golden era od SC football either... you proud of the steroid scandal that rocked the nation with the SC article in Sports Illustrated? I mean really , what is that saying , people in "glass houses"....

No, I am not looking at the steroid situation that occurred at USC with as a source of pride, just the opposite. It was a source of shame and disgrace, but USC never won a NC because of the use of the steroid situation.

How could you look at it as a source of pride knowing that if quempsum had not cheated they would not have won a NC? How could you, knowing that if the same thing happened today, the so called championship would be rescinded?

Last edited:
Freddie, it does not bother them at all, most of their fans would deny that it ever happened and tell you Ford didn't have anything to do with it. They would tell you that leaving church on Sunday.

Always a fun topic on this board...

To answer the question, yes, and it always will be a great accomplishment. Winning a National Championship in football is hard.

The framework of your question is flawed because of the rival tinge in your recitation of the events.

"The sanctions administered against quempsum by the NCAA in 1982 were the most severe ever handed down to any college / university in the history of college sports at that time."

Not True. The NCAA handed down equal or greater sanctions many times: TV: equal or greater 57 times; Postseason: equal or greater 66 times; and Probation length: equal or greater 90 times. These were all before Clemson's probation. If you count all time, the numbers are much higher.

"Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in future cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum."

Not True. The NCAA had issued a death penalty twice before Clemson's probation. SMU's death penalty had nothing to do with Clemson, but rather that SMU was put on some form of probation five times between 1974 and 1985. The big one came in 1987 when they were caught doing the same thing that landed them on probation in 1985. They simply did not care what the NCAA did or said.

Finally, Clemson's probation was relatively light in comparison to others and did not mandate any vacating of wins because the majority of the "money" violations centered around two players that never enrolled, James Cofer and Terry Minor. The Nashville booster's "Christmas Gifts" of $500 (Minor) and $1000 (Cofer) were definitely a big deal and had they enrolled, the NCAA sanctions would have been stiffer I suspect. The NCAA has vacated records 124 times I think. The funny thing is, I do not think either player was that highly touted, but they were being recruited and the booster certainly wanted them at Clemson.

There were several other allegations of "offers" but not many "gave(s)." The majority of the violations centered around giving rides to prospects, paying phone or medical/dentist bills, flying a prospect home from Jr College,offering transportation to parents, etc. Violations, certainly, but hardly "atrocious acts" as you describe them.

Obviously this is nothing that fans on either side of the Rivalry will agree about, but that what makes it fun. It is similar when folks over here complain about the "tutoring probation" when, in reality, the university was nailed because the former Associate AD was mandating violations occur and telling folks to get rid of (or do not maintain) records that the NCAA would use against the university in an investigation. The rest of the violations were similar to Clemson's above: improper transportation, etc.

Anyway, again, always a great topic for the off-season...

To answer the question, yes, and it always will be a great accomplishment. Winning a National Championship in football is hard.

The framework of your question is flawed because of the rival tinge in your recitation of the events.

"The sanctions administered against quempsum by the NCAA in 1982 were the most severe ever handed down to any college / university in the history of college sports at that time."

Not True. The NCAA handed down equal or greater sanctions many times: TV: equal or greater 57 times; Postseason: equal or greater 66 times; and Probation length: equal or greater 90 times. These were all before Clemson's probation. If you count all time, the numbers are much higher.

"Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in future cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum."

Not True. The NCAA had issued a death penalty twice before Clemson's probation. SMU's death penalty had nothing to do with Clemson, but rather that SMU was put on some form of probation five times between 1974 and 1985. The big one came in 1987 when they were caught doing the same thing that landed them on probation in 1985. They simply did not care what the NCAA did or said.

Finally, Clemson's probation was relatively light in comparison to others and did not mandate any vacating of wins because the majority of the "money" violations centered around two players that never enrolled, James Cofer and Terry Minor. The Nashville booster's "Christmas Gifts" of $500 (Minor) and $1000 (Cofer) were definitely a big deal and had they enrolled, the NCAA sanctions would have been stiffer I suspect. The NCAA has vacated records 124 times I think. The funny thing is, I do not think either player was that highly touted, but they were being recruited and the booster certainly wanted them at Clemson.

There were several other allegations of "offers" but not many "gave(s)." The majority of the violations centered around giving rides to prospects, paying phone or medical/dentist bills, flying a prospect home from Jr College,offering transportation to parents, etc. Violations, certainly, but hardly "atrocious acts" as you describe them.

Obviously this is nothing that fans on either side of the Rivalry will agree about, but that what makes it fun. It is similar when folks over here complain about the "tutoring probation" when, in reality, the university was nailed because the former Associate AD was mandating violations occur and telling folks to get rid of (or do not maintain) records that the NCAA would use against the university in an investigation. The rest of the violations were similar to Clemson's above: improper transportation, etc.

Well, I have read just the opposite. I have read and I will do my best to find the articles that stated quempsum's probation in 1982 were the most severe ever. I don't believe on word you are saying.

Wow that is quite the spin job. Are you sure you are a lawyer???

I thought the ap and upi were the ones that crowned the champions in the early days but I am only a gamecock fan so I am sure you taters have the correct answers.

The fact remains, that quempsum cheated to win the NC- that is a fact undisputed. And without cheating, quempsum would not have won the NC and in today's atmosphere the title would be revoked. So, for that reason I don't see how any quempsum fan could and would look upon that title as a source of "great accomplishment.

Last edited:
What did Auburn do in 2010 to taint their title?

They paid Cam Newton/his family more than the $180,000 dollars that was asked for at Mississippi State during his recruitment.

The SEC then swept it under the rug and Newton was suspended for about 6 hours prior to the SEC Title game.

With all due respect, most college football fans realize Cam Newton was paid to attend Auburn.

Reactions: jblanken64
They paid Cam Newton/his family more than the $180,000 dollars that was asked for at Mississippi State during his recruitment.

The SEC then swept it under the rug and Newton was suspended for about 6 hours prior to the SEC Title game.

With all due respect, most college football fans realize Cam Newton was paid to attend Auburn.

It was never ever proven that Scam took the money. It was heavily investigated by the NCAA before the voting of the Heisman. The NCAA blitzed the allegation, so that all information about the alleged "taking of money" would be known before the voting of the Heisman.

Yes- a little pride. Not full-blown pride but for a different reason.

Everyone was cheating back then and what we were caught for was really not that serious. If you knew what went on in the recruitment of Herschel Walker (UGA out-bid us) you'd laugh at the charges that were actually brought. And if you think your hands were any cleaner back then, you are either poorly connected or not very old.

No, my partial pride comes from the fact that the way the bowls were set up back then, we did not play the best team available in the bowl game that won it for us.

No, I am not looking at the steroid situation that occurred at USC with as a source of pride, just the opposite. It was a source of shame and disgrace, but USC never won a NC because of the use of the steroid situation.

So what you are saying , is it is OK to cheat , as long as you do not win?
Interesting , people have died from the use of steroids in the way described in that article.

It was never ever proven that Scam took the money. It was heavily investigated by the NCAA before the voting of the Heisman. The NCAA blitzed the allegation, so that all information about the alleged "taking of money" would be known before the voting of the Heisman.

They gave the money to his Dad through the church. Give me a break.

The fact remains, that quempsum cheated to win the NC- that is a fact undisputed. And without cheating, quempsum would not have won the NC and in today's atmosphere the title would be revoked. So, for that reason I don't see how any quempsum fan could and would look upon that title as a source with "great accomplishment.
And yet...here we are. Clemson has a national championship that the rest of the college football world outside of the USC fanbase acknowledges as legitimate. Clemson fans are proud of it. South Carolina doesn't have a national championship, because they are far too ethical to do what it takes to win one. Is that a good summary?

The fact remains, that quempsum cheated to win the NC- that is a fact undisputed. And without cheating, quempsum would not have won the NC and in today's atmosphere the title would be revoked. So, for that reason I don't see how any quempsum fan could and would look upon that title as a source with "great accomplishment.

You are wrong on several fronts. in today's climate the stuff Clemson was accused of would not even get a sniff from the spineless NCAA. They have too much money , and too much fear of lawsuits to do anything of substance. BTW the ACC added an extra year to Clemson, but Swofford went with UNC to defend their current actions.

Reactions: anon_zp1one8polj90
And yet...here we are. Clemson has a national championship that the rest of the college football world outside of the USC fanbase acknowledges as legitimate. Clemson fans are proud of it. South Carolina doesn't have a national championship, because they are far too ethical to do what it takes to win one. Is that a good summary?

Clemson has one because BC Inabinet bought it. If you don't know that you are not old enough to comment on it Should they be proud of it? I guess those UNC players that were given grades are proud of their degree. I guess barry bonds is glad he juiced to get the hr record. I guess lance Armstrong is glad he doped. In todays world "what is right" is thrown out the window

You are wrong on several fronts. in today's climate the stuff Clemson was accused of would not even get a sniff from the spineless NCAA. They have too much money , and too much fear of lawsuits to do anything of substance. BTW the ACC added an extra year to Clemson, but Swofford went with UNC to defend their current actions.

You're wrong! The title would be rescinded. And what quempsum did back in the late '70s and '80s would be very bad by even today's standards.

The fact remains, that quempsum cheated to win the NC- that is a fact undisputed. And without cheating, quempsum would not have won the NC and in today's atmosphere the title would be revoked. So, for that reason I don't see how any quempsum fan could and would look upon that title as a source of "great accomplishment.

Those are not facts, they are opinions.

Well, I have read just the opposite. I have read and I will do my best to find the articles that stated quempsum's probation in 1982 were the most severe ever. I don't believe on word you are saying.

That's fine, someone may have said that, it is repeated on this board many times each year. But that does not make it true. As for not believing a word I am saying, you do not have to, you can see for yourself. The NCAA Major Infractions Database is pretty user friendly. You can search for all 2-yr, 3-yr, 4-yr, and 5-yr probations by length, TV, postseason, etc. Be sure to set your date range to precede Clemson's probation in March of 1982 and add 'em up. I looked at all that years ago, so maybe my math or memory is off, but not by much if it is. https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/miSearch

Well, there was no Death Penalty in 1982, quempsum was the university that made the NCAA implement the plan for the Death Penalty.

Again, that is not true. A quick google on NCAA Death Penalty will reveal it's been used five times (two of which predated Clemson's probation) click: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NCAA+Death+Penalty If it did not exist in 1982, how was it handed down as a punishment in 1952 and again in 1973?

At least anyone who reads this thread can stop repeating these falsehoods...I have a lot of respect for Chick75 and other teachers as educating folks can be hard work.

Reactions: pbos1111 and 19B
Clemson has one because BC Inabinet bought it. If you don't know that you are not old enough to comment on it Should they be proud of it? I guess those UNC players that were given grades are proud of their degree. I guess barry bonds is glad he juiced to get the hr record. I guess lance Armstrong is glad he doped. In todays world "what is right" is thrown out the window

Yep BC was deeply involved with Charlie Pell, and used defender chemicals money , both BC and Charlie have met their maker at this point. BC died after a failed Gastrick Bypass surgery. When it was still early in test modes.

He was totally disassociated from Clemson when the allegations were made .

Reactions: LaidbackCat
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT