ADVERTISEMENT

And just what group do u fall in?…

His discussion of coach firings was all over the place. At one point he mentions ”societal mental illness,” before going to COVID-19 fatigue and ”machines.” But if anyone knows something about “crazy,” it’s Mike.

Classic Leach.

But to pretend that calling for firings means "people are nuts" or "mental illness" eliminates the instances where a coach actually deserves to be fired.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I guess I fall in the group that thinks Leach is always good for a quote - unless you're looking for anything remotely lucid.

I guess I fall in the group that thinks Leach is always good for a quote - unless you're looking for anything remotely lucid.
Well, even though he may have been all over the place with his answer, he nailed it with this one quote - one that is extremely prevalent among the many posters on this site:

"...instead of people, one communicating with one another, two, making their decisions based on kind of independent thought, I think a lot of times machines and social media do the thinking for people."

Very few of our posters do any real research at all prior to posting. I guess they don't realize that it is OK to have an opinion that differs from that of the social media controlled masses.

Gibberish.

Most coaches get fired because they're overpaid and underperforming employees. See Muschamp. This ain't the 4H Club. If you get paid millions and ask for millions in facilities, you better put a good product on the field.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Absolutely. They all had a few seasons of being down from previous highs. Schools don't wait now.
No coach with the clout these guys had would meet that fate.

Bowden’s dip was 25 years into his tenure. Paterno’s was 40 years into his tenure.

Reactions: Dizzy01
No coach with the clout these guys had would meet that fate.

Bowden’s dip was 25 years into his tenure. Paterno’s was 40 years into his tenure.

No. Bowden had a bit of a dip in the 80s after he had been there 5 or 6 years. Paterno had some up and down years in the 80s as well after being at PSU for 20 years. In the context of THIS climate, schools don't sit on their laurels and wait on coaches to work things out.

Reactions: rogue cock
No they wouldn’t have.
Of those you listed, only Woody Hayes would have been on the hot seat based upon today's expectations. He was a good, coach, but not on the same level as the others.

No. Bowden had a bit of a dip in the 80s after he had been there 5 or 6 years. Paterno had some up and down years in the 80s as well after being at PSU for 20 years. In the context of THIS climate, schools don't sit on their laurels and wait on coaches to work things out.

LOL one year at 6-5 and back to 9-3 the next season isn’t a dip.

You’re not arguing in good faith.

In today's climate, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes would have all been fired in the middle of their legendary tenures.
That is true, but none of those guys ever made $7 million per year, either. I think we've gotten to the point where programs feel like if they pay you tons of money, it means you must win championships. And I think coaches feel like if a program is going to have irrational expectations, then they'd better pay me a ridiculous amount of money from day one, before I win a championship for you. So, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, but both parties seem equally willing to embrace the current model.

Everybody wants their team to be a winner. But obviously, that is an impossible outcome. So the insanity will be sustained.
LOLOLOL!! That comment there is deep and to the point no doubt!!

Bottom line is the simple fact that it all comes down to the money - both of the known and unknown categories of course!!

Who knows? Nobody knew they would be “Bowden and Paterno” until they were.
Nothin' personal here, but I much prefer a Saban as opposed to the two mentioned. I mean Saban's successes and reputation far exceeds those two IMHO.

Just sayin'. Its All Good!

Fans want to win, I want to win, 100 plus years of mostly bad football here is enough! I want a better AD and this alone does not make me crazy...

Nothin' personal here, but I much prefer a Saban as opposed to the two mentioned. I mean Saban's successes and reputation far exceeds those two IMHO.

Just sayin'. Its All Good!

Haha. That’s a very brave stance of yours. You’d rather have the best college coach of all time than someone who is not the best college coach of all time? Got it.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
His discussion of coach firings was all over the place. At one point he mentions ”societal mental illness,” before going to COVID-19 fatigue and ”machines.” But if anyone knows something about “crazy,” it’s Mike.
Yeah Mike Leach is crazy, crazy like a coked up fox that dabbles in piracy

Gibberish.

Most coaches get fired because they're overpaid and underperforming employees. See Muschamp. This ain't the 4H Club. If you get paid millions and ask for millions in facilities, you better put a good product on the field.

IMO, Leach is 100% correct and so are you.

Expectations have become ridiculous and a coach's pay and contract terms have as well.

The obsession with televised sports in this country is a wander to behold.

IMO, Leach is 100% correct and so are you.

Expectations have become ridiculous and a coach's pay and contract terms have as well.

The obsession with televised sports in this country is a wander to behold.
For sure. We paid Muschamp 17k a day, seven days a week. We also built a 50 million operations building because he said it was needed to recruit. It hasn't helped one bit. The arms race is crazy.

Haha. That’s a very brave stance of yours. You’d rather have the best college coach of all time than someone who is not the best college coach of all time? Got it.
I know! A pretty deep concept there on my part no doubt!! I mean, oh the irony!! And I do mean like wrinkly irony, as opposed to that good 'ol flat-out ironed irony!!

These coaches are laughing all the way to the bank at the "fans'" expense.
They win and get rich. They lose and get fired and still get rich.
Irony is every game has a winner AND a loser.
Joke's on the enablers.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Frank Martin loves it here. Makes a ton of dough, zero expectations. Better not even think about criticizing him either because of the COVID stuff.

Reactions: uscwatson21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT