ADVERTISEMENT

And Ray Tanner Is Officially On The Clock

midline

Dec 27, 2007
Another dismal, mediocre, season under Frank ending with an embarrassing blowout loss in the SEC tourney. It didn't take Georgia long to see they needed to make a change. This crap has been dragging on at USC for years. So Ray, time to step up and do your job.

Well, I didn't watch much of it but the little I did see looked bad.

I was not surprised we looked so bad and that's the problem I think - because I doubt anyone was surprised.

Maybe we can turn to Cliff Ellis.

Austin Claunch of Nicholls State is one to keep an eye on if Frank is gone. But not sure about his recruiting abilities. But he definitely can "coach". Only known minus: was a grad assistant at Clemson.

Austin Claunch of Nicholls State is one to keep an eye on if Frank is gone. But not sure about his recruiting abilities. But he definitely can "coach". Only known minus: was a grad assistant at Clemson.
To be honest, i think Foghorn Leghorn could do as good a Job as Frank, and he is actaully related to the Gamecocks.. better than Frank?

If willing to take a chance on an assistant coach, Luke Murray is reputed to be a hell of a recruiter. He is Bill's son.

Another dismal, mediocre, season under Frank ending with an embarrassing blowout loss in the SEC tourney. It didn't take Georgia long to see they needed to make a change. This crap has been dragging on at USC for years. So Ray, time to step up and do your job.
Question is, will BOT let him?

Two facts about Frank just to keep you all in the loop:

1. Nothing is happening until the GG decision

2. Nothing is happening until the buyout is reduced on April 1

Reactions: spardue
Ray isnt firing FRANK, he would ahve done it two years ago.. Same thing with Kingston, he obviously doesnt have the balls!!
Wrong.
He tried to do it last year and was blocked by the board.
Ray will fire a coach and if he's drunk and on Fentanol, he will still do better than Hyman did with his last two hires. Or Mcgee with Dave Odom.
Let's not pretend we've been making great hires in the sport before Ray. We haven't and it has shown up.

Truth. We couldn't possibly do worse than the last 3 hires for men's basketball.
If Alabama and Auburn can get good, why the heck can't we??

Wrong.
He tried to do it last year and was blocked by the board.
Ray will fire a coach and if he's drunk and on Fentanol, he will still do better than Hyman did with his last two hires. Or Mcgee with Dave Odom.
Let's not pretend we've been making great hires in the sport before Ray. We haven't and it has shown up.
If RAY wanted Him fired, HE could make it happen!!

Coaching Xs and Os is overrated and secondary. It isn't rocket science. It is all about recruiting. It is all about talent. Frank McGuire never drew up a play in his life. That is why he had Buck Freeman by his side as an assistant all those years. But man could Frank recruit. Dean Smith and K are recognized as two of the greatest the game has seen. And both were lucky to not get fired their first three years on the job. Then they got talent and the rest is history. Hire me a recruiter and we will worry about everything else later

Reactions: gamecock stock
Coaching Xs and Os is overrated and secondary. It isn't rocket science. It is all about recruiting. It is all about talent. Frank McGuire never drew up a play in his life. That is why he had Buck Freeman by his side as an assistant all those years. But man could Frank recruit. Dean Smith and K are recognized as two of the greatest the game has seen. And both were lucky to not get fired their first three years on the job. Then they got talent and the rest is history. Hire me a recruiter and we will worry about everything else later
I don't disagree. Whoever we hire MUST be a very good recruiter. Martin certainly is not.

Recruiting will move you up - got to have talented and athletic players. But then when you play teams with the same talent and athleticism, Xs and Os and mindset do come into play.

As I said previously, basketball ain't exactly rocket science. Get the talent and then take care of everything else. If you don't have talent, it doesn't matter. And as much as I want Frank gone, I think from a pure basketball standpoint that he is a good coach. Teams play hard, and his teams always seem to develop later in the year. But by then it is usually too late, and rarely beats anyone of relevance because of the talent gap.

Martin, Odom, and of course Debacle Darrin Horn were all poor recruiters. Eddie hated recruiting.
Time for someone who loves it.
I don’t know if poor recruiter is a fair assessment. Even Horn landed Anthony Gill here who ended up being a solid player at UVA once he was fired. I just think Horn was a terrible in game coach.

Odom had some decent talent here over the years. He certainly left Horn with a team good enough to win the SEC East back when divisions were split. I watched him almost beat a Florida team in the SEC title game stacked with NBA talent.

Martin certainly had a talented team for a couple of years here and Fogler had a team stacked with talent for a solid run here.

I think the frustration fans have is that it’s extremely difficult to sustain a high level of recruiting in mens basketball. The state doesn’t produce an abundance of talent, what talent is here typically leaves for great programs in North Carolina and one coach has not consistently been able to recruit talent here in almost 70 years. Heck and McGuire was pulling his talent from NYC. Sad truth is we’ve never been able to pull talent consistently from our area.

Reactions: PC31
It would another cost. But if Carolina does look for Martins replacement they need to have an outside agency come in and evaluate candidates and recommend who we hire. Also negotiate the contracts so we don’t get stuck in a jam. Tanners’ involvement in hiring and signing contracts needs to be more limited.

Last edited:
It would another cost. But if Carolina does look for Martins replacement they need to have an outside agency come in and evaluate candidates and recommend who we hire. Also negotiate the contracts so we don’t get stuck in a jam. Tanners’ involvement in hiring and signing contracts needs to be more limited.
Don't use Eddie Fogler as a consultant. He told Hyman to hire Horn and I think he had input into hiring Frank also.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
If we were ever going to gamble on Gregg Marshall, the stage is set. His name is popping up again in coaching vacancies and it's hard to argue against his resume.

If we were ever going to gamble on Gregg Marshall, the stage is set. His name is popping up again in coaching vacancies and it's hard to argue against his resume.
Gregg Marshall won 81% of his conference games and 70% of all his games at Winthrop. He won 76% of his conference games and 73% of all his games at Wichita State. He has won a conference regular season and/or conference tournament championship 13 times. He has made it to the NCAA Tournament 14 times. He made it to the Round of 32 four times, Sweet 16 one time and a Final 4 once. He also has a NIT championship. That guy knows basketball and how to coach it. He is a WINNER.

All the above being said, the powers at USC probably would not even interview him, if Martin is gone.

Gregg Marshall won 81% of his conference games and 70% of all his games at Winthrop. He won 76% of his conference games and 73% of all his games at Wichita State. He has won a conference regular season and/or conference tournament championship 13 times. He has made it to the NCAA Tournament 14 times. He made it to the Round of 32 four times, Sweet 16 one time and a Final 4 once. He also has a NIT championship. That guy knows basketball and how to coach it. He is a WINNER.

All the above being said, the powers at USC probably would not even interview him, if Martin is gone.

And you can get him for a steep discount because of his verbal misconduct and dismissal at Wichita. Just like Bruce Pearl, there will be a big D1 school who capitalizes on this type of opportunity.

Two facts about Frank just to keep you all in the loop:

1. Nothing is happening until the GG decision

2. Nothing is happening until the buyout is reduced on April 1
I know Frank is trying to save his job by saying that if you keep me we get GG. But not so fast. Many, well most, think he is playing USC just like Zion did to Clemson. He just wants to keep the hometown folks happy now, but knows he is going to Chapel Hill.

And if they wait on April, that would be so USC. By that point anybody worth hiring would be off the table. Another item that further proves that winning is not the primary thought at USC

I know Frank is trying to save his job by saying that if you keep me we get GG. But not so fast. Many, well most, think he is playing USC just like Zion did to Clemson. He just wants to keep the hometown folks happy now, but knows he is going to Chapel Hill.

And if they wait on April, that would be so USC. By that point anybody worth hiring would be off the table. Another item that further proves that winning is not the primary thought at USC
Who knows what he’s thinking. I actually have a reliable source that has boots on the ground at Ridge View, but he hasn’t been able to provide any reliable information about his destination. Right now I’m not sure if the kid is even focused on his college decision and may be considering a move to Oak Hill with his coach or staying at Ridge View in addition to the college selection. There’s a lot going on there.

As far as not being able to get anyone good in April, I would disagree with that. Especially if administration is already working tight lipped behind the scenes to already find a new coach. A lot of unofficial hiring happens at the final four itself, and that’s around April 1.

I don’t know if poor recruiter is a fair assessment. Even Horn landed Anthony Gill here who ended up being a solid player at UVA once he was fired. I just think Horn was a terrible in game coach.

Odom had some decent talent here over the years. He certainly left Horn with a team good enough to win the SEC East back when divisions were split. I watched him almost beat a Florida team in the SEC title game stacked with NBA talent.

Martin certainly had a talented team for a couple of years here and Fogler had a team stacked with talent for a solid run here.

I think the frustration fans have is that it’s extremely difficult to sustain a high level of recruiting in mens basketball. The state doesn’t produce an abundance of talent, what talent is here typically leaves for great programs in North Carolina and one coach has not consistently been able to recruit talent here in almost 70 years. Heck and McGuire was pulling his talent from NYC. Sad truth is we’ve never been able to pull talent consistently from our area.
Then if the talent isn't within the state, go outside to build your program, once it's built, the in-state kids will then want to stay home

Reactions: cockofdawn
Who knows what he’s thinking. I actually have a reliable source that has boots on the ground at Ridge View, but he hasn’t been able to provide any reliable information about his destination. Right now I’m not sure if the kid is even focused on his college decision and may be considering a move to Oak Hill with his coach or staying at Ridge View in addition to the college selection. There’s a lot going on there.

As far as not being able to get anyone good in April, I would disagree with that. Especially if administration is already working tight lipped behind the scenes to already find a new coach. A lot of unofficial hiring happens at the final four itself, and that’s around April 1.
Do you think Ray is working behind the scenes to hire someone during the Final Four?

I don't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT