ADVERTISEMENT

Another question for you USC Baseball gurus.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
This has been posted before but I forgot what the responses were to the question. What was the Gamecock's best baseball team ever? Of course, USC won the CWS in 2010 and 2011 and came in 2nd in 2012. But, were those the best teams USC fielded in baseball? I always thought the "Killer Bees" were the best team the Gamecocks ever placed on the diamond, which I believe was 2000 when they lost to LA Monroe or some team from LA in the Super Regional.

What was the best team ever for the Gamecocks, iyo, regardless of where they finished?

We had better hitting teams at times perhaps but we (perhaps no college team) never before or since had a team with that combination of hitting, pitching and defense! You got no cheap hits on that team with guys like Mooney and Morales manning the infield, JBJ tracking down everything in the outfield… Roth in his prime and Price was an absolute beast of a closer! They had no weakness and had this unflinching air of confidence.. 2010 was amazing and surprising in so many ways! 2011 was dominance. It felt like they knew from the start of the season they were going to win it all and they did! They would get down in games, do all these crazy things in the dugout to hype each other up and you just felt like they were never out of a game. Went 10-0 through the playoffs and set the win streak record for the playoffs and CWS- records that still stand today! It was the most fun season to watch of any sport in my lifetime as a Gamecock.

Give me the 2010 team all day. Jackie Bradley Jr, Whit Merrifield, Christian Walker and Scott Wingo was a heck of a lineup.

The rotation was full of studs and Matt Price closed the door. The amount of MLB talent on that 2010 team was ridiculous. Don’t forget they beat Trevor Bauer and Gerrit Cole in the College World Series.

Last edited:
I'll go with 2011. I think we won more series' that year and had a team more experience in the move away from gorilla ball... as I recall, we abandoned it mid way through 2010.
Not to mention it's harder to repeat imo. Gotta think if 2010 and 2011 played, 2011 would win.

1975 Bobby Richardson's team went 51-6-1
This one for sure. Earl Bass pitching. Hank Small setting HR records that wouldn't be broken until, Justin Smoak I think? But that team mowed them down at the CWS when it was a different format. We were the only undefeated team, and it came down to drawing straws with the final three, Arizona State and Texas each had a loss. We got to the final game, and Bass had to pitch with just a couple of days rest, and he was just gassed. That was a a tough, tough, team.

The 2000 team won 56 games and was 25-5 in conference and won the SEC regular season championship but stubbled in the super regionals.
One of the most ignominious defeats in the history of Gamecock athletics. Terrible, right up there with Navy in football - 1984, and N.C. State in the ACC basketball tournament - 1970.

I'll go with 2011. I think we won more series' that year and had a team more experience in the move away from gorilla ball... as I recall, we abandoned it mid way through 2010.
Not to mention it's harder to repeat imo. Gotta think if 2010 and 2011 played, 2011 would win.

It would be a heck of a game. Obviously a lot of the key 2010 parts came back in 2011 with more experience (and admittedly maybe this is the best answer), but man Whit Merrifield is proving his worth right now and it’s hard for me to see what we gained in 2011 that would offset his loss.

Reactions: bucketdad
One of the most ignominious defeats in the history of Gamecock athletics. Terrible, right up there with Navy in football - 1984, and N.C. State in the ACC basketball tournament - 1970.

Id have to put Coppin State up there as maybe the worst from a standpoint of not seeing it coming. Back then a 2 seed just didn’t lose to a 15.

It was Louisiana Lafayette, and I hope they drop off the face of the Earth.

The best team on paper was 2000. The best team overall, tangibles and intangibles, was 2011.
Well, one team had the stuff of winners (2011). They were terrific when it mattered. The other (2000) got hung up on their nation's longest winning streak and being ranked #1 most of the season. They were ultimately losers. I know people won't like me saying that but I'm still p!$$ed off about it. In fact, I was having a good day until this discussion came up.

Id have to put Coppin State up there as maybe the worst from a standpoint of not seeing it coming. Back then a 2 seed just didn’t lose to a 15.
That certainly deserves a mention. I said what I did about the 1970 basketball team losing in the ACC Tournament because the expectations were high all season and the loss was grievously costly.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It would be a heck of a game. Obviously a lot of the key 2010 parts came back in 2011 with more experience (and admittedly maybe this is the best answer), but man Whit Merrifield is proving his worth right now and it’s hard for me to see what we gained in 2011 that would offset his loss.
I hear ya. I tried to stay away from personalities and focus on the ball played... at least the way I remember it. Had I not, dont think I could argue your point at all.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I have often thought about this, and I came up with either the 1975 team, or the 2000 team, but how could you not say the 2010 or 2011 teams, they both won it all. Those were our four best teams, arrange them how you'd like.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
This has been posted before but I forgot what the responses were to the question. What was the Gamecock's best baseball team ever? Of course, USC won the CWS in 2010 and 2011 and came in 2nd in 2012. But, were those the best teams USC fielded in baseball? I always thought the "Killer Bees" were the best team the Gamecocks ever placed on the diamond, which I believe was 2000 when they lost to LA Monroe or some team from LA in the Super Regional.

What was the best team ever for the Gamecocks, iyo, regardless of where they finished?

Yeah, raging Cajuns, Lafayette…….Flash forward to Omaha, they score 2 in bottom of 9th to beat moou, & after the bang bang play the rednecks Casey stone comes outta nowhere & sucker punches a Cajun.

They beat heavily favored Cocks with a couple guys throwing off speed junk…………that’s another reason why baseball can’t be topped………oh, & also when the boards arm chair mangers first started calling for Ray’s head……needless to say it continued for 10 yrs.

Reactions: rogue cock
Also want to throw out there the 2010 team was able to defeat Drew Smyly, Drew Pomeranz and first round draft pick Asher Wojciechowski.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I'll always put the 2000 team in last place based on blown potential alone.
Probably could have beaten both cws winners……..chemistry, bounce of the ball, it’s baseball.

“Baseball is the greatest game ever invented. There are not many other sports that offer you hundreds of games – 162 to be precise – in one season. The combined number of NFL and NBA games does not even come close to the number of baseball games in a year.” ~ Steve Mueller

Look at this year, Arkansas ranked #1 most of the year goes down in the super regionals. As they say, it happens in baseball, that a lower team comes and takes you out.

Yeah, raging Cajuns, Lafayette…….Flash forward to Omaha, they score 2 in bottom of 9th to beat moou, & after the bang bang play the rednecks Casey stone comes outta nowhere & sucker punches a Cajun.

They beat heavily favored Cocks with a couple guys throwing off speed junk…………that’s another reason why baseball can’t be topped………oh, & also when the boards arm chair mangers first started calling for Ray’s head……needless to say it continued for 10 yrs.
Casey’s daughter is like the #1 ranked 12 year old American female tennis player.

1975 team
1977 team
2000 team
2002 team with wins over Clemson in the CWS
2010 team with wins over Clemson in the CWS
2011 team
2012 team

Any time you make it to the Championship game and fall short of the National Championship, it still one of the best seasons, even though it's heart breaking. 1975, 1977, 2002 & 2012. Unless you beat Clemson from the losers bracket twice 2002 & 2010.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
1975 team
1977 team
2000 team
2002 team with wins over Clemson in the CWS
2010 team with wins over Clemson in the CWS
2011 team
2012 team

Any time you make it to the Championship game and fall short of the National Championship, it still one of the best seasons, even though it's heart breaking. 1975, 1977, 2002 & 2012. Unless you beat Clemson from the losers bracket twice 2002 & 2010.
I'm just going to crown the 2010 team (in my own mind) as our best team ever when all things are considered. They checked more of the boxes that mattered to USC fans than any other team we ever fielded.

No, sir. One thing doesn't make up for the other. Potential not realized is a dead loss and it is lost forever. We have had plenty of examples of that in our athletic history.

You're short sighted... Both times, Clemson was one game away playing for the National Championship and both times we kept them from ever playing for the National Championship...

• Love
Reactions: caughtlookin
You're short sighted... Both times, Clemson was one game away playing for the National Championship and both times we kept them from ever playing for the National Championship...
I'm realistic and honest. The 2000 baseball team might have been measurably the best team we ever fielded, which makes their failure to even get out of a super-regional we were hosting and thus even reaching the CWS the biggest thud in baseball program history. We couldn't eliminate anyone on the big stage once we eliminated ourselves. You can't blow off such a seismic example of nonrealization simply because of what some of our other teams accomplished. Those were great feats but they did not assuage the failure of the 2000 team in any way.

Good for her….she know her daddy wasn’t a man enough & sucker punched someone…..in all my yrs of watching baseball one of the lowest moments I’ve ever witnessed.
I truly understand the sentiment, but Casey's actually a really good guy (despite where he played college baseball..haha). I've known him all of my life, he's a good friend. He'll be the first to tell you that he let his emotions get the best of him and got caught up in the moment. Not excusing what he did...he did it, and he owns it, but he is a good man, husband, and father.

It just took awhile for Holbrook's input to manifest itself..😂
I mean he was an assistant at UNC when they went to back to back championship games. Then three years later he’s with us and we are in the final series.

he seemed like the key link.

Reactions: caughtlookin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT