ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance Spurrier retires midseason

No chance. His main concern is holding on until his kids can find employment elsewhere. He has two sons and 232 grandkids that he basically provides for.

Thinking Vandy beats us and this may be a posibility

You didn't indicate whether your thought was an expression of your 'hope' or your 'concern', but given the tone of so many similar 'thoughts' expressed that were useless since we failed to pull it out against Kentucky I'll go with a WAG and wager it's just another throw-away means nothing adds nothing late-night sleep tight I've gotten in my dig tonight and now I'm gonna feel alright bite of Coach Spurrier's a$$.

Way to go! I hope he shot you a little gas.

But that's only if your 'thought' was as I think you thought ... if, indeed it was an expression of 'concern' we might be abandoned have no fear - that will NEVER happen. But your 'thinking' it 'might' is a sad statement on the morale of the troops, especially if that thought was 'wishful' thinking and not an expression of true concern.

As a long time Carolina Fan I would like to see one of 2 things happen. Either after the season he retires, stating that he has done all he can do here. It's now a young mans world out there. Or...fires just about everyone on the staff and hire some qualified coordinators who can also recruit SEC talented players. Lets face it...Dabo isn't a good coach but he has hired good people around him which allows him to run around and dance like a buffoon...apparently recruits likes that kinda of stuff.

This entire 'play' is kinda' like watching "Dirty Dancing" nearly 30-years ago ... with young, virile Patrick Swayze the protagonist and 'older' hotel-owner Jack Weston the guy asking "Do they have this stuff in sheet music?"

Flash forward a few decades and Mr. Swayze was gone well before his time, while 'old' Jack Weston managed to live nearly 20-years longer.

I think it would be very interesting to 'line up' what would probably be a long-line of pot-bellied, out of shape rag-tag, huffing and puffing 40, 50 even 30-something's next to Steve Spurrier just to see WHO 'looks' older, is in better shape, has quicker reflexes, can think on their feet quicker and reacts better not to mention who can speak and spell better than the other.

In 'Dirty Dancing' the 'end' was really a new beginning - and it all started with the tune "I've Had The Time Of My Life" - which I have the last decade, and I BELIEVE they have this 'stuff' on sheet music ... and I believe the HBC is the guy who 'gets it'. I think he WILL 'fire some guys' and redeploy 'some guys' and reinvigorate the Gamecock program having 'heard the music'.

We WILL see a NEW "Kellerman's" in to Pocono's next season. We don't need to dump Kellerman, we still have a beautiful Lodge and a crystal clear lake. We just need a few more bikinis and some guys who can 'dance'.

As a long time Carolina Fan I would like to see one of 2 things happen. Either after the season he retires, stating that he has done all he can do here. It's now a young mans world out there. Or...fires just about everyone on the staff and hire some qualified coordinators who can also recruit SEC talented players. Lets face it...Dabo isn't a good coach but he has hired good people around him which allows him to run around and dance like a buffoon...apparently recruits likes that kinda of stuff.
You got it, in a nutshell. I also wish he would stay, but the staff has to go. If not, he has to exit.

Because of the heights the program has reached under Spurrier's leadership, he will not be fired mid-season. But honestly, that's what should happen. Clemson fired Bowden mid-season when it became apparent that he had done all he could do with the program. Honestly, why wait? Firing him now gives a young coach (Mangus?, Elliott?) an opportunity to coach in an interim capacity to see if they are ready. And it allows the AD to start searching in earnest for a replacement now.

Because of the heights the program has reached under Spurrier's leadership, he will not be fired mid-season. But honestly, that's what should happen. Clemson fired Bowden mid-season when it became apparent that he had done all he could do with the program. Honestly, why wait? Firing him now gives a young coach (Mangus?, Elliott?) an opportunity to coach in an interim capacity to see if they are ready. And it allows the AD to start searching in earnest for a replacement now.

I don't see them "firing" him mid-season but the best case scenario, imo, would be FOR him to resign sooner rather than later so the search could start (and he a part of the search if he chooses like Lou did - leave with dignity & love both ways). He may be a competitor but he also HAS to see what HE'S "let" happen to the program he was building and it'll take lots of HIS energy & focus to bring it back which there's just NO way he's interested in doing (he didn't like recruiting before & that's not just going to change". He's obviously NOT going to made the "necessary" changes in his staff so he needs to do this on his own. If not, Tanner's going to have to do the difficult and that's force him out, but it does need to happen soon. He's not going to have a winning season now and being run off the field by our arch-rival, at home, later will be MORE humiliation!

Reactions: mbsurfside
No chance. His main concern is holding on until his kids can find employment elsewhere. He has two sons and 232 grandkids that he basically provides for.

If Coach Spurrier has 232 grandkids then his family must be a lot bigger than I thought. As for providing for his sons, Jr makes $325K per year. I think he is doing fine.

If Coach Spurrier has 232 grandkids then his family must be a lot bigger than I thought. As for providing for his sons, Jr makes $325K per year. I think he is doing fine.

That is the point. If ur wasn't ridiing on daddy's coat tails he wouldn't be recruiting coordinator at a major university or be making $325 k

Yeah, that number is just sarcasm, but I suspect you already knew that. As for Jr (and Scotty), I don't think they will survive and keep that salary once dad is gone.

Didn't Miami Dolphins just fire their coach? They don't accept mediocrity and neither should we. I don't want SS to be fired. I just want him to go softly into that good nite.

Thinking Vandy beats us and this may be a posibility
Ol ball coach has a big ego and he aint gonna up and quit, he will probably talk Tanner into another year or so and that could be the kiss of death. With a bad season looming its gonna be tough to bring in a recruiting class to turn this thing over night. We need fresh blood running the show ASAP.

Yeah, that number is just sarcasm, but I suspect you already knew that. As for Jr (and Scotty), I don't think they will survive and keep that salary once dad is gone.

If I'm not mistaken, Scotty Spurrier has no relations to the Steve Spurrier's family. Just happens to be a coincidence.

If I'm not mistaken, Scotty Spurrier has no relations to the Steve Spurrier's family. Just happens to be a coincidence.
Sorry TPB, Scott Spurrier graduated in '09 (was a walkon WR...surprise!) and is now an Offensive Quality Control Coach, per his USC bio. He is Steve's son. There are numerous interviews in The State referencing both sons coaching with SOS on staff.

We'll get back on track soon enough. Keep the faith. Gamecocks will rise again

We need a younger, energetic coach that doesn't have kids in the same profession and is not in geriatric mode!

Spurrier will never be fired, that's just silly.

He needs to clean house or resign though.

Maybe not fired but asked to step down is a possibility. I think he wont have to be told though. Pretty sure he is done after this season.

If you want this program destroyed you fire him now or he leaves and your in some real trouble for a very long time.....

The narrative will be cast that "Steve Spurrier couldn't get it done" here why will ANYONE else be able to will be set in every pitch there is to any recruit that might look this way....

You couldn't bring in Tom Landry, Bear Bryant or Vince Lombardi to undo the mess that situation would create.....

Ray Tanner is a smart guy and while I am not happy with W vs L at this point Steve Spurrier is a man of integrity.

In the end he will do what's right for the University of South Carolina! That much I feel sure about!

I think you will see some compromise where he remains as the HC with him and Ray finding someone to manage the program, bring in top of the line assistants and possibly a strong OC and DC with those 3 doing most of the work.

SOS will remain, be on the sidelines and call a few plays here and there till he names his time.

Right now its chaos and all the chaos is being created by a fan base that wants more....

Nothing wrong with that but all of the assistants contracts are up this year, except Hoke, so you can rest assured there will be a massive house cleaning come late October.

As PO'ed as the fan base is I really don't think its SOS's decision anymore on them staying or going....If he doesn't get them gone I think you see Ray do it but SOS is not going to create that kind of problem.

He knows he is ready and the time is near and I suspect he and Ray are working on some type of plan for a transition that works for everyone......

Last edited:
If you want this program destroyed you fire him now or he leaves and your in some real trouble for a very long time.....

The narrative will be cast that "Steve Spurrier couldn't get it done" here why will ANYONE else be able to will be set in every pitch there is to any recruit that might look this way....

You couldn't bring in Tom Landry, Bear Bryant or Vince Lombardi to undo the mess that situation would create.....

Ray Tanner is a smart guy and while I am not happy with W vs L at this point Steve Spurrier is a man of integrity.

In the end he will do what's right for the University of South Carolina! That much I feel sure about!

I think you will see some compromise where he remains as the HC with him and Ray finding someone to manage the program, bring in top of the line assistants and possibly a strong OC and DC with those 3 doing most of the work.

SOS will remain, be on the sidelines and call a few plays here and there till he names his time.

Right now its chaos and but the chaos is being created by a fan base that wants more....

Nothing wrong with that but all of the assistants contracts are up this year, except Hoke, so you can rest assured there will be a massive house cleaning come late October.

As PO'ed as the fan base is I really don't think its SOS's decision anymore on them staying or going....If he doesn't get them gone I think you see Ray do it but SOS is not going to create that kind of problem.

He knows he is ready and the time is near and I suspect he and Ray are working on some time of plan for a transition that works for everyone......

That is a pretty rosy picture. I hope you are right.

Ol ball coach has a big ego and he aint gonna up and quit, he will probably talk Tanner into another year or so and that could be the kiss of death. With a bad season looming its gonna be tough to bring in a recruiting class to turn this thing over night. We need fresh blood running the show ASAP.

Sadi the 'guy' who's scared 'witless' of the HBC

If we get skull dragged by Vanderbilt at home I think that creates so much fury that Spurrier has no choice but to resign mid season. His hope of beating Bear Bryant's SEC record is slipping away. We have peaked & now on a down slide as a team. I doubt he has the energy to rebuild this team. May as well step aside & let the next guy take over the reins.

Reactions: jerryusc

If you can't answer this question as a coach - or a recruiter - you're in the wrong profession. I would hope that question would be part of the hiring process.

I don't see Spurrier walking at mid-season, but can easily see him doing it at years end. Even if he totally reconfigures his staff, it is still going to take 2-3 years of great recruiting to get the talent level to a point that they can be a threat in the SEC again. With his temperament, and at his age, I don't think he cares to go through a long rebuild process. I agree that maybe one of the reasons he hung on after last year may have been his two sons. They have tried to position Jr for many head jobs over the last few years, but with no luck. Regardless, SOS should have more than enough cash to where even his grandchildren should never have to lift a finger. So I don't think he will walk at mid-season but could easily see him do it at end of year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT