ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance that we keep Hilinski from transferring?

mavcock

Apr 20, 2002
Mauldin, SC
He and Doty can push each other in the spring and summer, and both will be better because of it. And I like the fact we would have two completely different QB styles. And who would back up Doty if he did transfer?

It'll depend. I assume Hill will move on in some capacity. Since this year didn't count, I think he can still transfer, but I'm not sure he'd have many takers, at least not at the P5 level. Even if he stays, he won't be a part of any new coach's QB plans. Hill's only value was that he presumably knew Bobo's system, but that's out the window next year.

That leaves us with Hilinksi and Doty. I think it all really just boils down to playing time. Until we get a new coach, we just won't know. If the new coach wants to air it out, Ryan is the obvious choice. I would love to see what the kid can do with competent coaching. If we had retained Muschamp and Bobo, it's a virtual guarantee that Ryan would have transferred. But now that he's getting a fresh start with a new head coach and OC and QB coach, it's about the equivalent of transferring.

Reactions: mavcock
It will depend on who is hired as a HC, who they hire as an OC and how much they want to try and recruit him.

It will depend on who is hired as a HC, who they hire as an OC and how much they want to try and recruit him.
Also depends on style they run. If it’s Napier then I bet he transfers because Napier likes more mobile qb’s. If it’s Beamer then he may in fact stay

He might as well transfer because this will be Doty's team from now on and Gauthier might want to think about decommtting because if Gunner sticks to his commitment it's possible Gunner will push Doty. This is JMHO and it's very possible it may fall this way.

Reactions: brianlafe
The ONLY way he stays is if we get an Air Raid or similar offense. They've all but pushed him out the door. He's a talent....and we don't have many D1 talents on the offensive side of the ball. I hope he stays.
I hope they have a package for Doty in that type offense as the backup QB, and red zone/short yardage guy with some FL /slot duties in there too. Would love to see him on the field for 20 plays a game with Hilinski playing 85% of the game at QB. That combo presents problems for defenses.
...And nobody is talking about it yet....but it needs to be said. Doty isn't an SEC/Pro arm. I love him. I want him to have a QB package....but he will always rely on his great legs. I WANT him to be another Shaw....and he maybe could be. But, I think Shaw was more heady, less instinctive....which sometimes you need under center.

He and Doty can push each other in the spring and summer, and both will be better because of it. And I like the fact we would have two completely different QB styles. And who would back up Doty if he did transfer?
Depends on offense. If we adopt an Oklahoma style passing offense. Hilinski could potentially put up video game like numbers. It is all about stats. I think he would stay under those circumstances. If he has to be a running threat, maybe not so much.

I think he will transfer to be honest. He was given a shot last year, basically thrown to the wolves, did ok for a true freshman, then Hill comes in from nowhere, takes his job, and Doty takes Hill's job. Not to mention there is, maybe still, a 4* QB in the incoming class, and possibly Gunner the next year. I don't think he stays to be honest. And its a shame.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I think the kid has some sense. That being said I think his transfer portal application is signed and ready to turn in. He was fairly highly recruited. For whatever reason it hasn't worked out. I don't see him wanting to waste the rest of his career on the bench in Columbia

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I had a dream he transferred. Not sure what that means, maybe I think about USC too much...

Doty and Hillinski would complement each other well. It reminds me of the Garcia-Smelley days.

I don't think Ryan came here to be a back-up QB .. Don't blame him if he transfers. It's sad he hasn't been given a chance to play this year.

I don't think Ryan came here to be a back-up QB .. Don't blame him if he transfers. It's sad he hasn't been given a chance to play this year.
This is correct. This isn't the outcome you cross the country for. And now we've moved the cheese on him by firing the head coach and offensive coordinator. I see no reason for him to stay.

Reactions: cockofthegoat
Depends on offense. If we adopt an Oklahoma style passing offense. Hilinski could potentially put up video game like numbers. It is all about stats. I think he would stay under those circumstances. If he has to be a running threat, maybe not so much.
Who's the last QB that Oklahoma had that looked like Hilinski? Bradford, Jones?

I had a dream he transferred. Not sure what that means, maybe I think about USC too much...
2_paQm.gif

If I were Hillinski I would transfer and I love USC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT