ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody been Snakebit ??

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
Ex Wives not included . Was out fishing on the golf course and almost stepped right on top of a baby copperhead . Only thing that saved me is I saw the little green tail at the last second . Anybody ever got tagged by one of this little bastards ??

Had a few rough nights with this in college.

csm_0082000138105_49837d06d7.jpg

The neighbors 50lb mutt of a dog disappeared for several days. Came back with this beautiful bulls eye on its side. Vet said it got tagged by a venomous snake of some sort. It looked like concentric rings as the poison spread outward. The dog had lost most of his hair inside the round injury on his side. Dog was happy, thirsty and hungry, probably barely survived and had been laying in the woods somewhere for several days. .

The neighbors 50lb mutt of a dog disappeared for several days. Came back with this beautiful bulls eye on its side. Vet said it got tagged by a venomous snake of some sort. It looked like concentric rings as the poison spread outward. The dog had lost most of his hair inside the round injury on his side. Dog was happy, thirsty and hungry, probably barely survived and had been laying in the woods somewhere for several days. .

dogs handle snake bites very well. Unless its a rattle snake and a very small dog, they often will survive with little to no treatment. I am not advocating not taking them to the vet, but if i have one bitten and i cannot get to a vet immediately i will have to treat them myself.
if mine get snake bitten i will give them benedryl to stop any swelling/closing of the airways and also calm the dog,, I remove their collar and treat them with antibiotics and an injectable steroid to prevent loss of tissue in the bite area.
I hate venomous snakes but its part of owning/running hounds. Been blessed to not have to deal with any in the past 5-6 years!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Several years ago I was working in the wooded area in the back of my house. As I was emptying out the grass catcher bag from my mower I felt a sharp pain near my ankle. Excruciating. I was sure I had been stung by a yellow jacket. I limped back to the house and felt sure the pain would subside. Next morning the pain had finally subsided, that is when my wife decided to look where I had been "STUNG". There we saw 2 distinctive fang marks. Never found out what snake bit me, just so lucky it wasn't venomous or I would probably not have made it.

Last edited:
My brother was bitten by a Copperhead while taking out the trash one evening.The anti-venom he received caused extreme pain.Believe me you do not want to go through what he went through...Thankfully he has made a full recovery with little or no permanent damage.They say a rattlesnake or Cottonmouth bite is even worse.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I was bitten by what the doc said was a snake two years ago. Was mowing grass and passing under some overgrown redtips when something popped me on my left thigh; I never saw it. Very weird feeling; an initial burning but not like a wasp or yellow jacket, then a feeling of something warm spreading across through my thigh at which point I began to become panicked a bit. However the pain/discomfort mostly subsided and faded within a couple of minutes. I assumed it was a spider bite but as I said, doc said snake although he couldn't say what kind. VERY different from being stung by something.

As a child, I stupidly tried to snatch a snake out of a fast-moving creek after a rain. Got me on the webbing between my thumb and index finger. Burned like Holy Hell, but I guess it was a dry bite, because it never really got swollen.

On the other hand (no pun intended), my buddy tried to pick up a baby rattlesnake once up near Caesar's Head. That was NOT a dry bite. His thumb was about the size of a pineapple by the time we got back to Greenville and got him medical attention. Big dummy, who tries to pick up a snake?

Oh, wait...

Several years ago I was working in the wooded area in the back of my house. As I was emptying out the grass catcher bag from my mower I felt a sharp pain near my ankle. Excruciating. I was sure I had been stung by a yellow jacket. I limped back to the house and felt sure the pain would subside. Next morning the pain had finally subsided, that is when my wife decided to look where I had been "STUNG". There we saw 2 distinctive fang marks. Never found out what snake bit me, just so lucky it wasn't venomous or I would probably not have made it.
It very well could have been a poisonous snake. Normally, a nonpoisonous snake does not have the distinctive fang marks. What you probably experienced is a "dry bite". Not all snake bites inject venom, especially if the snake has recently eaten whereby he has used his venom on his prey, and there has not been sufficient time for the glands to reproduce the venom used.

Had a close call in my teens. Nearly stepped on and in front of a full grown water moccasin poised to strike. Didnt bite when it had the chance. Seconds later my dog stuck it's nose in it's mouth. Still didnt bite. Looked closer and it was missing it's fangs. 40 something years ago and remember it like yesterday. Still gives me the hebeejeebees.

Had a close call in my teens. Nearly stepped on and in front of a full grown water moccasin poised to strike. Didnt bite when it had the chance. Seconds later my dog stuck it's nose in it's mouth. Still didnt bite. Looked closer and it was missing it's fangs. 40 something years ago and remember it like yesterday. Still gives me the hebeejeebees.

Oh I hate a moccasin, I’ve had some really close calls . The craziest was me and my dad were fishing Jacks creek when I was a kid and we were just drifting thru cypress trees with the motor off . I bet I had pushed off 1000 trees that day and never thought twice . Well we had an angel in the boat that day because on the 1001th tree I was reaching to push off and my dad just on a whim said “Watch that branch it looks snakey “. So I did , and there was a moccasin wrapped on the limb as big around as my arm. I would have practically grabbed him . Funny part is we were drifting right into that tree and didn’t have time to start the boat and reverse so we just laid down in the boat and drifted a few inches under that limb . It was probably 6 inches from my dads face . It never moved , or showed any signs of aggression. It truly was divine intervention. Will never ever forget that .

Reactions: bcaldw01
Oh I hate a moccasin, I’ve had some really close calls . The craziest was me and my dad were fishing Jacks creek when I was a kid and we were just drifting thru cypress trees with the motor off . I bet I had pushed off 1000 trees that day and never thought twice . Well we had an angel in the boat that day because on the 1001th tree I was reaching to push off and my dad just on a whim said “Watch that branch it looks snakey “. So I did , and there was a moccasin wrapped on the limb as big around as my arm. I would have practically grabbed him . Funny part is we were drifting right into that tree and didn’t have time to start the boat and reverse so we just laid down in the boat and drifted a few inches under that limb . It was probably 6 inches from my dads face . It never moved , or showed any signs of aggression. It truly was divine intervention. Will never ever forget that .
I can relate. Had a stringer of fish hanging off the side of a canoe once. Pulled it up when I was ready to leave. Attached was a moccasin. Didnt see that coming. Scared the living crap out of me. Separate incident had me rowing around in the same canoe one day. Had a stringer hanging off the side once again. Gator snuck up on me and snatched it. Freaked me out to say the least. Luckly the line snapped. I dont hang stringers anymore.

Was up at Linville Gorge walking trails along some of the cliffs with the fam., everyone but me had go out to the edge of the ledge, not my thing, so I sat down on this little rock ledge and when my son came up to me he saw that there was a den of copperheads directly under where I was sitting, they were young, but Momma was somewhere. They won't let me live down I'm scared of heights, but don't mind sitting on a bed of poisonous snakes!

Ex-land surveyor, and have killed 100's of poisonous snakes that got in the way of our work. Usually cottonmouths and copperheads, very few rattlesnakes. Walking over the floating grass in Goose Creek Reservoir, stepped on a cottonmouth's head and pushed it through the grass, and the next step I made forward, the snake sprang up about 5 feet in the air. We all panicked and sure enough, a friggin nest of about 20 cottonmouths all rolled up together was about 7 feet from the boat. That's resulted in calling it a day and going to have a beer.--- and forgot about the huge cottonmouth that dropped in the boat off a cypress tree while doing soundings in Little River, near Socastee. That was entertaining.

Reactions: JohnnySurfin
It very well could have been a poisonous snake. Normally, a nonpoisonous snake does not have the distinctive fang marks. What you probably experienced is a "dry bite". Not all snake bites inject venom, especially if the snake has recently eaten whereby he has used his venom on his prey, and there has not been sufficient time for the glands to reproduce the venom used.
DAMN. Now that is scary stuff.

Ex-land surveyor, and have killed 100's of poisonous snakes that got in the way of our work. Usually cottonmouths and copperheads, very few rattlesnakes. Walking over the floating grass in Goose Creek Reservoir, stepped on a cottonmouth's head and pushed it through the grass, and the next step I made forward, the snake sprang up about 5 feet in the air. We all panicked and sure enough, a friggin nest of about 20 cottonmouths all rolled up together was about 7 feet from the boat. That's resulted in calling it a day and going to have a beer.
Grew up on the GC Reservoir before it became a bird sanctuary. Most of my gator and snake encounters came from there. Great time to be a kid there then. Duck hunt, fish and all that in your backyard.

And just think, I thought the most horrifying thing I would read on the forum today would be about the football team or politics. I stand corrected 🙈

On my first day of 11th grade at a new high school (desegregation), a little guy who looked around 13 crutched into the AP English class. I knew nobody. Well, he drew a lot of attention from everybody. He ended up sitting next to me with his foot up on the seat of an empty desk. We introduced ourselves. I asked him what happened to his foot. Rattlesnake bite! He was shooting a pistol on some family land in the Lower Richland area. He stepped on a female that was ready to give birth. She tagged him on his ankle. She got him with a full dose. His dad threw him in the car and they busted it into Columbia. I think they stopped at the VA Hospital to get him first aid. He showed me his foot--it was still swollen probably twice it's normal size, and it was basically technicolor. It took him a couple of weeks before he could get rid of the crutch. Incidentally, he became one of the best friends I've ever had.

Speaking of divine intervention, I was hiking on the Appalachian Trail near Franklin NC when I thought I heard something to my right. I stopped to look and there was nothing there. When I started to move again there was about a three ft snake stretched across the trail. My next step would have been on him. I backed up a couple feet and had to use my hiking pole to get him off the trail. It was about 40 degrees outside and he was soaking up the sun. I don’t think he was poisonous though.

On a different note. Last week I was cutting the grass and I felt a sharp pain in my ankle. I had gotten into a nest of yellow jackets or ground wasps and ended up getting stung on both ankles and one arm. The arm didn’t hurt but the ones on the ankles were unbelievably painful, and it lasted all night. It was unreal. I’ve been stung plenty of times by all kinds of bees and wasps but nothing like this. I probably slept a total of an hour all night. They were real small with yellow and black rings on the tail part. Anyone know what that would be or anyone ever experienced a sting like that?

On a different note. Last week I was cutting the grass and I felt a sharp pain in my ankle. I had gotten into a nest of yellow jackets or ground wasps and ended up getting stung on both ankles and one arm. The arm didn’t hurt but the ones on the ankles were unbelievably painful, and it lasted all night. It was unreal. I’ve been stung plenty of times by all kinds of bees and wasps but nothing like this. I probably slept a total of an hour all night. They were real small with yellow and black rings on the tail part. Anyone know what that would be or anyone ever experienced a sting like that?
My wife was helping our boys look for a lost ball in the woods when one of them stepped on a yellowjacket nest. All of them got stung several times. In fact as they were running into the house several followed them inside the house and into their rooms upstairs. It felt like we were in a B horror movie. I spent the next hour finding and then swatting them dead. One bit my son on his nipple, which caused a lump in his gland and under his armpit. It required surgery to remove the cysts.
So to answer your question, yes.

Got bit about 45 years ago.

Was metal detecting under an old porch that was rotting away. Stepped into a hole in the porch and got nailed by a copperhead. Killed him and went to hospital. Foot swelled up fast. Got there and was treated. not antivenom, just treatment. Scar tissue on that ankle for about 30 years, Can't see any today.

Copperhead venom is not that deadly and they rarely give you a full shot. Had a bird dog killed by a rattlesnake. BTW not all snakes in the water are water moccasins - but everyone screams moccasin when the see a snake in the water.

Copperhead bite about 10 years ago.... Fortunately it was a dry bite, probably due to my cat....

I've been clearing some land in the woods for 6 months. Surprised that I haven't seen a snake the whole time!

Got bit about 45 years ago.

Was metal detecting under an old porch that was rotting away. Stepped into a hole in the porch and got nailed by a copperhead. Killed him and went to hospital. Foot swelled up fast. Got there and was treated. not antivenom, just treatment. Scar tissue on that ankle for about 30 years, Can't see any today.

Copperhead venom is not that deadly and they rarely give you a full shot. Had a bird dog killed by a rattlesnake. BTW not all snakes in the water are water moccasins - but everyone screams moccasin when the see a snake in the water.
If you've grown up on the water like I did, you got a pretty good idea what a water moccasin looks like. Lol

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
My wife was helping our boys look for a lost ball in the woods when one of them stepped on a yellowjacket nest. All of them got stung several times. In fact as they were running into the house several followed them inside the house and into their rooms upstairs. It felt like we were in a B horror movie. I spent the next hour finding and then swatting them dead. One bit my son on his nipple, which caused a lump in his gland and under his armpit. It required surgery to remove the cysts.
So to answer your question, yes.
WOW. I can’t even imagine what he went through.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Anybody else notice that there are a few days in the Fall, and a few in the Spring where you are more likely to see a snake? It usually happens after the first real change in temperature. It’s like the snakes are moving from their summer home to their winter home, and vice versa.

dogs handle snake bites very well. Unless its a rattle snake and a very small dog, they often will survive with little to no treatment. I am not advocating not taking them to the vet, but if i have one bitten and i cannot get to a vet immediately i will have to treat them myself.
if mine get snake bitten i will give them benedryl to stop any swelling/closing of the airways and also calm the dog,, I remove their collar and treat them with antibiotics and an injectable steroid to prevent loss of tissue in the bite area.
I hate venomous snakes but its part of owning/running hounds. Been blessed to not have to deal with any in the past 5-6 years!

Baby copperheads are deadly fir small dogs like this one (Scnhauzer)...

My nephew got bit by a small copperhead years ago. Spent some time in the hospital and a wheelchair (due to intense pain). He’s fine. But they say the small ones are very dangerous.

Ex-land surveyor, and have killed 100's of poisonous snakes that got in the way of our work. Usually cottonmouths and copperheads, very few rattlesnakes. Walking over the floating grass in Goose Creek Reservoir, stepped on a cottonmouth's head and pushed it through the grass, and the next step I made forward, the snake sprang up about 5 feet in the air. We all panicked and sure enough, a friggin nest of about 20 cottonmouths all rolled up together was about 7 feet from the boat. That's resulted in calling it a day and going to have a beer.--- and forgot about the huge cottonmouth that dropped in the boat off a cypress tree while doing soundings in Little River, near Socastee. That was entertaining.
Did enough in my younger day to know why a lot of surveyors in the South have a pair of snake boots! Mapping sewer oufall lines in the Rock Hill area through the Kudzu you would stop walking and you could hear the snakes moving through the Kudzo, not a good feeling!

When my dad was little, he was outside playing in the woods behind his house. He didn't want to come in from playing, so went to poop in the woods. When he was dropping the turd, a snake bit him on the butt. He jumped up and turned and saw the snake. He doesn't know what kind of snake it was. His mom took him to the hospital and he got some shots and was in pain, but he didn't know if it was poisonous or not.

ADVERTISEMENT