ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else read labels these days?

I purchase what I need and decide based on quality, function and price.

I don’t pick products based on the country of origin.

thanks to having weak regulations (one party really hates regulations) labels are easily manipulated to say whatever is needed.

I do particularly at the grocery store and the theory of less is more and its healthier for you is true. Bacon with out sodium nitrate is significantly more healthy for you, shredding your own cheese, try to avoid the chip and cracker isle, stores that don't know how to stock wine you can find a year or two older Cab, Chianti, Pinot Noir just by sliding the 2019 out of the way and see what might be right behind it. Don't fall for organic everything, but the milk does taste better.

I do particularly at the grocery store and the theory of less is more and its healthier for you is true. Bacon with out sodium nitrate is significantly more healthy for you, shredding your own cheese, try to avoid the chip and cracker isle, stores that don't know how to stock wine you can find a year or two older Cab, Chianti, Pinot Noir just by sliding the 2019 out of the way and see what might be right behind it. Don't fall for organic everything, but the milk does taste better.
I need to do more of this, especially after seeing the number on the scale at the doctor's office this morning. UGH! If they could reopen the fitness center here at work, that'd be great.

Guess who made the computer, tablet, smartphone you're using to post these messages?

I need to do more of this, especially after seeing the number on the scale at the doctor's office this morning. UGH! If they could reopen the fitness center here at work, that'd be great.
FYI, maybe a bit off topic...at my age (59) it's harder to maintain weight and health. I started the Keto diet in January and lost 17 LBs in 2 months reaching my goal. This virus has made me gain 7 of it back (Too much beer). But I started using Green Chef meals. All low Carbs and extremely flavorful and easy to cook. Now they just opened my fitness center back up so that will help.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
FYI, maybe a bit off topic...at my age (59) it's harder to maintain weight and health. I started the Keto diet in January and lost 17 LBs in 2 months reaching my goal. This virus has made me gain 7 of it back (Too much beer). But I started using Green Chef meals. All low Carbs and extremely flavorful and easy to cook. Now they just opened my fitness center back up so that will help.
Yes. I hit 40 and my metabolism slowed to a slow crawl. Then I had my hysterectomy in December 2018, and it's now in reverse! I'm good if I cut out a lot of the carbs. Just have to have the discipline to do so. I've tried this week, and can see a change so far. Also doing some intermittent fasting at night. Trying to go from sometime between 5-6:30 pm to about 8:30 am.

Best wishes with your new nutrition program!jumpingsmile

Not trying to be political but I do everything i can to NOT buy anything made in China. Trying to buy “made in the USA” products.
There are so many ways that companies get around this.

they can label it “manufactured in the us” if the individual parts are made at a over seas factory and they just do the final touches

Often most of the components that they use are made over seas still benefiting other countries economy

a lot of those companies have over seas adjacent factories that your money funnels into because they are much more profitable

I mean you can do it for your own personal morality but don’t think you’re actually avoiding it

There are so many ways that companies get around this.

they can label it “manufactured in the us” if the individual parts are made at a over seas factory and they just do the final touches

Often most of the components that they use are made over seas still benefiting other countries economy

a lot of those companies have over seas adjacent factories that your money funnels into because they are much more profitable
t
All true, but that's kind of where the oft-used caveats of "where possible," "when possible," and "when feasible" come into play. It's called making reasonable efforts to buy American (or non-Chinese). I'm probably not going to pay triple for a made-in-USA product and I'm not going to spend days researching an item that I need right now. But when I can, and when it's feasible, I'll make a reasonable effort to buy a product manufactured in a country that isn't an enemy regime of the US. Will my purchase make a difference? No. But it's like voting in a national election - I'll make my little mark and if enough like minded people make their marks, it can eventually make a difference. The only sure method of promoting China is to throw our hands up and ignore the issue.

Reactions: doubledawg55
Not trying to be political but I do everything i can to NOT buy anything made in China. Trying to buy “made in the USA” products.
I try to buy China products as much as possible being a proud South Carolinan. Maybe if I lived in another state I wouldn't buy China products. But living in South Carolina I know what China does for are economy.

Last edited:
I try to buy China products as much as possible being a proud South Carolinan. Maybe if I lived in another state I wouldn't buy China products. But living in South Carolina I know what China does for are economy.

I have a customer in South Carolina and North Carolina that makes automotive parts. one of the parts that they sell to automotive manufacturers is a small part made in China. we’ve had the discussion many times on my plant visits if that part would ever be made in America. they unequivocally state that no one would ever be interested in making that part of the United States. It’s not a money maker for an American company.

A lot of "Made in America" products are assembled in America with Chinese parts. Sadly, we're still supporting their anti-human rights government.

Yes I do. It is perplexing some time. I avoid unnecessary sugar additives. The manufacturer can put “ Sugar Free” on the box. When you read the fine print you will find all sorts of sugar, like High Fructose Corn Syrup and others. They can also disguise sugar in spices by saying simply “ Other Spices.” It is amazing how much sugar is in our food. There are only two companies who make sugar free bread and no milk you drink is without sugar.

To your point, you have to work hard to find Chinese imported foods. Somehow the FDA lets companies get by with listing only the US distributors.

My criteria is hard to match when shopping. No processed sugar and No processed flour ( only whole grain ) and not from China. You would think I would be skinny as a rail. LOL

Last edited:

I'm not there yet. I'm fully on board with the sentiment, but there's just SO much that's made in China, it's like a needle in a haystack trying to find American made. And for the majority of items, American made doesn't exist.

I have a customer in South Carolina and North Carolina that makes automotive parts. one of the parts that they sell to automotive manufacturers is a small part made in China. we’ve had the discussion many times on my plant visits if that part would ever be made in America. they unequivocally state that no one would ever be interested in making that part of the United States. It’s not a money maker for an American company.
South Carolina's largest export market is China. Their economy goes to Shit, South Carolina's economy goes to shit.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3Zf6wjqFgXfxEMt6tdXv4M

South Carolina's largest export market is China. Their economy goes to Shit, South Carolina's economy goes to shit.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3Zf6wjqFgXfxEMt6tdXv4M
Using your logic, the US should just bow down to the Chinese government and let them take over the US.

China has been stealing from the US for decades and we have allowed it. This must be stopped and supporting US businesses is a way to do this. It won't happen overnight but it needs to start. Trump is the first President who has ever truly called out the Chinese government and stood up to them. Those fighting him are those who have basically been bought off by the Chinese government.

Using your logic, the US should just bow down to the Chinese government and let them take over the US.

China has been stealing from the US for decades and we have allowed it. This must be stopped and supporting US businesses is a way to do this. It won't happen overnight but it needs to start. Trump is the first President who has ever truly called out the Chinese government and stood up to them. Those fighting him are those who have basically been bought off by the Chinese government.
How are they stealing from us? I'll agree that it was shady our Government let China in WTO in December 2001 while the American people had their minds on 9/11.

How are they stealing from us? I'll agree that it was shady our Government let China in WTO in December 2001 while the American people had their minds on 9/11.
It has been documented over and over that China has been stealing US intellectual property for decades. No reasonable person disputes this.

It has been documented over and over that China has been stealing US intellectual property for decades. No reasonable person disputes this.
So you want to stop all trade with countries that have stolen Intellectual property, including America because we've stolen Intellectual property also?

So you want to stop all trade with countries that have stolen Intellectual property, including America because we've stolen Intellectual property also?
I never suggested "stopping all trade" with any country.

However, the Chinese have been the most corrupt and dishonest "trade partners" to anyone in the world. If you think the US is comparable to the Chinese government, you are living in the wrong place.

I never suggested "stopping all trade" with any country.

However, the Chinese have been the most corrupt and dishonest "trade partners" to anyone in the world. If you think the US is comparable to the Chinese government, you are living in the wrong place.
You sir are a believer. Our government is just as corrupt as any. The only difference is it's easier, to catch ours. Because of our constitutional rights they try to take away.

Last edited:

He begged the Chinese President to help him win reelection by increasing the purchase of American farm products. That's a helluva lot different than "standing up to China". That's begging, and it is pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT