ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody ever been to this place? A lot of talk about it

Dang. Opened year I was born. Drove by it many many times. Don't think I ever ate there.

My parents dated there. Our family ate there growing up. I ate there in college. Wednesday night special when I was in college was fried catfish over grits plus a side and a soft drink for $5.99. I'm going to make some fried catfish and grits in honor once I get some quarantine groceries.

If you are a Carolina grad you’ve at least been to Yesterday’s once. Hmmm...I wondered why they closed? Could it be that the government shut them down without warning and then pretty much cut their revenue by (at least 80%—probably more—take out can’t do near the amount of normal sit down service). It didn’t help that the St Patrick’s Day in 5 Points was shut down (which probably accounts for two months worth of revenue in one day). 43 years in business. RIDICULOUS.

You know you are getting old when you watch places close that you once watched open years ago. Such is life, sadly to say.

I wonder if Covid-19 had anything to do with Yesterday's closing? We have lost two old businesses here in Marion to Covid-19.

Last edited:
If you are a Carolina grad you’ve at least been to Yesterday’s once. Hmmm...I wondered why they closed? Could it be that the government shut them down without warning and then pretty much cut their revenue by (at least 80%—probably more—take out can’t do near the amount of normal sit down service). It didn’t help that the St Patrick’s Day in 5 Points was shut down (which probably accounts for two months worth of revenue in one day). 43 years in business. RIDICULOUS.
Honestly
One of the original owners retired and the others were no spring chickens.
They were probably going to call it quits soon enough anyway.
The virus and subsequent shutdown put the nail in the coffin.

I have been there hundreds of times as a Carolina graduate and a lawyer with an office within 200 yards on Devine. The place was going downhill for the past year. In fact, it will be a prime example of a restaurant that takes government money to "pay" their employees and then close down afterwards. I know of two restaurants in Greenville who are on life support. They are using the excuse of the government shutting down to take government money to grab the PPP money before they shut down. That is OUR tax money.

That is one of my favorite places. About as broad of a menu of down home cooking as you can find anymore, though a step up from Lizzard’s Thicket IMHO. I thought I’d heard they were thinking about hanging it up before all this, and I’m sure this makes it an easy decision. Probably going to be a lot of places like this that simply don’t come back. However, maybe this is a chance for a young entrepreneur to simply slide in and take Yesterday’s to the next generation (while making bank and serving the community). Hell, if I knew how to make anything besides spaghetti and hamburgers I’d call them myself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT