ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody got a great hidden vacation spot they go to?

Ritz-Carlton on St Thomas USVI. Had to ride in a open air shuttle bus for 30 minutes to get to it. Other than that I can only offer Dollywood and Disney World as suggestions.
We talked about taking our kids to Dollywood next week but it would cost me $400 just to get in the gates. No thanks.....

I also like King Pacific Lodge in Milbanke Sound, Bella Bella, British Columbia V7E 0B5 ( Prop-plane & Helicopter required to reach this destination). Brought home over 50lbs of Salmon & some halibut filets. Outside of KeyWest & Islamorada, some of the best fishing I have done.

Helen, Georgia. It’s modeled after an old German town but in the mountains of Ga. Log cabins everywhere with a ton of stuff to do. Also some good eating places. If you enjoy some mild hiking, there are a ton of waterfalls all around.

www.helenga.org
“It´s the charm of Bavaria, in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains”
While I like Helen I'd have to describe it as a smaller version of Gatlinburg, Tn. But, that said, that whole area is great. Nearby Dahlonega, Ga is a cool little town. And the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail at Springer Mountain is nearby also.

Helen, Georgia. It’s modeled after an old German town but in the mountains of Ga. Log cabins everywhere with a ton of stuff to do. Also some good eating places. If you enjoy some mild hiking, there are a ton of waterfalls all around.

www.helenga.org
“It´s the charm of Bavaria, in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains”
When in college, we went trout hunting in a mountain stream in Helen. Shot them with a .22; probably illegal but we were young, drunk, and stupid.

Not exactly 'hidden', although I don't know many folks that have been there...Siesta Key, FL. Best beach in the US, IMO. Not a ton of nightlife...but a good spot to park for a couple days if you can work it into something else like Spring Training.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I have been to Amelia Island at Fernandina. This is at the Northern portion of the Island. Agree with all that's been said about it.

I will add that the Northern area of the island at Fernandina is historic and more "Old Vintage Florida". There, we stayed at a old fashioned "Cracker Box" style house right on the ocean front for one week. Absolutely loved it. Only about 5 minute drive to the historic town of Fernandina where there were many shops/restaurants. Their annual "Shrimp Fest" (oldest existing) is attended by people from all over the U.S. Rode bikes everywhere - even rode into the State Park that's there (includes an historic fort). Visited plantations withing 1 or 2 hour drive. Drove our car to Jacksonville one night for a professional minor league baseball game. One day we ventured over to Cumberland Island off from St. Mary's, GA (via boat taxi) for a whole day excursion where there are wild horses galore, great hiking trails through the island, sand dunes, a wonderful natural beach area to enjoy.

Lower (southern) part of Amelia Island is more country club and golf courses and upscale shopping. So there's plenty things to do for everyone on the island.

Reactions: Gaimcock
The Finger Lakes of upstate New York and the wine country tours. Bike the paved trails on the side of the Erie Canal near Fairport where mules once pulled barges. See Ithaca's gorges, Cornell and Lake Cayuga. Attend a horse race and watch all the horses from S.C. that we can't see in our state. Drive the rural country road from Ithaca to Binghamton, NY.

Primland Resort in Meadows of Dan, VA. 5 Star Hotel. They have awesome excursions: Golf, pheasant hunting, skeet shooting, driving RTV's, archery, etc., plus awesome food, and a spa. If there was a beach, it would be the only place my wife would want to vacation.

Nobody has mentioned anything on the great lakes. I have a hankering to go up into Michigan (Traverse City, Marquette), Wisconsin, or Minnesota to check out the unique cabins that are waterfront on the great lakes or even smaller lakes in these states. On some of the smaller lakes in upper Michigan, I'm seeing online cabins for less than 100K waterfront.

Anybody own or vacation in the upper Midwest around the great lakes?

Nobody has mentioned anything on the great lakes. I have a hankering to go up into Michigan (Traverse City, Marquette), Wisconsin, or Minnesota to check out the unique cabins that are waterfront on the great lakes or even smaller lakes in these states. On some of the smaller lakes in upper Michigan, I'm seeing online cabins for less than 100K waterfront.

I am not sure what is open now, but I have enjoyed Petoskey, MI and Mackinaw Island in the past. Check out Walloon Lake for the cabin experience. Duluth MN is beautiful this time of year as well.

The Finger Lakes of upstate New York and the wine country tours. Bike the paved trails on the side of the Erie Canal near Fairport where mules once pulled barges. See Ithaca's gorges, Cornell and Lake Cayuga. Attend a horse race and watch all the horses from S.C. that we can't see in our state. Drive the rural country road from Ithaca to Binghamton, NY.

I can vouch for the beauty of the Finger Lakes and Upstate NY in general.

Reactions: CockFamily6
I can vouch for the beauty of the Finger Lakes and Upstate NY in general.

My son married a Yankee girl and lives there now. Our family went up for the wedding and it is a beautiful area. I hate it’s so darn far or I would go up to visit a good bit. Maybe when I retire... By the way they may not have the southern drawl but those folks are more country than most of us ever thought of being.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
My son married a Yankee girl and lives there now. Our family went up for the wedding and it is a beautiful area. I hate it’s so darn far or I would go up to visit a good bit. Maybe when I retire... By the way they may not have the southern drawl but those folks are more country than most of us ever thought of being.

Yes, most of Upstate NY is very rural and when I use to go up there with my uncle I found they were very country compared to where I came from in Greenville, SC.

Isla Mujeres...A small island off Cancun. Very cool place and quiet. You can take a golf cart around the whole island. Found a brewery there that was owned by a guy from Asheville.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I enjoy going out to Durango, CO. Ride the Durango-Silverton steam train, plenty of jeep trails all through that area. Anything from mild dirt roads to white knuckle hairy. Lots of fun.

Perdido Key FL is nice. White sand beach, seafood, not crowded. Plus the US Naval air museum is close by. Minor league baseball in Pensacola (uber nice stadium, fireworks on weekend nights). Great fishing, if that is your thing.

Me too. Desire to go there.

Cancelled our trip to Amelia Island. Dang this virus sux. We dont think we should go down there.

Can't say that I blame you. We aren't taking any trips this year. My family doctor has canceled three trips, so if he is afraid to go then there is no point in me going.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff2001
Well I hate to be a homer but ... my hometown Destin Florida. Voted the most beautiful beaches in the US for like 5 straight years . Here’s the trick ... don’t come from April - August, It’s an absolute madhouse . Come in Sept or October . Weather is Always in the 70s, the fishing is incredible and there’s nobody here . October is fantastic . My second pick would be Mexico Beach but hurricane Michael pretty much obliterated the entire town .

I have a fantastic place to share, I shouldn't but the location and the Rocky Mountains are fabulous.

Grand Lake, Co., which is at the bottom of Rocky Mountain State Park. You can have privacy, you can hike you can venture into the little town of Grand Lake and eat, you can ride and see all of the beautiful scenery of the Rocky Mountain State Park and see a lot of cool animals. There is Estes Park just right above Grand Lake which is worth a visit and Ft. Collins isn't that far, I don't think. Plus, Cheyenne, and Laramie Wy. isn't that far.

It's one of those places you can do it all or do nothing at all and have a great time regardless of what you choose to do.

Last edited:
I have a fantastic place to share, I shouldn't but the location and the Rocky Mountains are fabulous.

Grand Lake, Co., which is at the bottom of Rocky Mountain State Park. You can have privacy, you can hike you can venture into the little town of Grand Lake and eat, you can ride and see all of the beautiful scenery of the Rocky Mountain State Park and see a lot of cool animals. There is Estes Park just right above Grand Lake which is worth a visit and Ft. Collins isn't that far, I don't think. Plus, Cheyenne, and Laramie Wy. isn't that far.

It's one of those places you can do it all or do nothing at all and have a great time regardless of what you choose to do.

I went to that area last year. Beautiful.

Ritz-Carlton on St Thomas USVI. Had to ride in a open air shuttle bus for 30 minutes to get to it. Other than that I can only offer Dollywood and Disney World as suggestions.
Have you been back since? I was in USVI last fall and it looked pretty tough, not as bad as BVI

Have you been back since? I was in USVI last fall and it looked pretty tough, not as bad as BVI
Nope. Not since hurricane Irma. I saw pictures. It was heartbreaking. I believe the Ritz just opened back up not too long ago. We might try next summer. We were had hoped to go this summer before my daughter started school but then COVID19 happened.

Last edited:
Nope. Not since the hurricane Irma. I saw pictures. It was heartbreaking. I believe the Ritz just opened back up not too long ago. We might try next summer. We were had hoped to go this summer before my daughter started school but then COVID19 happened.
They were stops on a Disney Cruise we went on last fall and it was pretty bad. USVI were in much better shape with reconstruction than BVI.

Someone mentioned northern Michigan... some of the best water and beaches anywhere 4 months out of the year. Sleeping Bear, Glen Lake, Torch Lake. Expensive but worth it

Anguilla has some of the best, undisturbed beaches in the World with very little crowds. Not very populated if you vacation there, but it is awesome place to get away. Fly into Saint Martin the. Ferry over. Or, stay in Saint Martin for all the other things and take day trip(s) to Anguilla.

I bet we had a few miles of white sand beaches, beautiful waters and may 20 other people total for two days we were there. You just disconnect from the rest world.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
Nope. Not since hurricane Irma. I saw pictures. It was heartbreaking. I believe the Ritz just opened back up not too long ago. We might try next summer. We were had hoped to go this summer before my daughter started school but then COVID19 happened.

I think the USVI is were my family doctor goes a lot. I've never been to the USVI, what makes it such a top tourist attraction?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT