ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody got a great hidden vacation spot they go to?

Anguilla has some of the best, undisturbed beaches in the World with very little crowds. Not very populated if you vacation there, but it is awesome place to get away. Fly into Saint Martin the. Ferry over. Or, stay in Saint Martin for all the other things and take day trip(s) to Anguilla.

I bet we had a few miles of white sand beaches, beautiful waters and may 20 other people total for two days we were there. You just disconnect from the rest world.

We've been there twice. Stayed in a stunning villa in the Viceroy the first time, then at the same resort (now Four Seasons) the second time. It's my kids' favorite vacation spot on earth.

I think the USVI is were my family doctor goes a lot. I've never been to the USVI, what makes it such a top tourist attraction?
For us it was because it is a US territory. So maybe a little easier to navigate. Also, you can run over to the BVI on day trips. We usually take very few “nice” vacations (I don’t count Disney and Dollywood) so once we find a place we can enjoy we keep going back. I don’t won’t to waste my 1 week every two years on a gamble. I go with what I know works. We will branch out when I retire at 80.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
For us it was because it is a US territory. So maybe a little easier to navigate. Also, you can run over to the BVI on day trips. We usually take very few “nice” vacations (I don’t count Disney and Dollywood) so once we find a place we can enjoy we keep going back. I don’t won’t to waste my 1 week every two years on a gamble. I go with what I know works. We will branch out when I retire at 80.

I know what you mean. I love the American West and as of right now I don't know if I will take a chance on any other location (s) or not. As you say, why gamble? My wife loves cruises, I may go on a cruise with her sometime but that will be about the only place outside of the American West I will travel for awhile.

Last edited:
Freddie, I’ve spent time in the Rocky Mountains, in training for my job. In the Longmont, Fort Collins, Boulder Colorado area. I love Estes Park , and could easily see myself retiring and living nearby. Even ventured up from there into Cheyenne Wyoming. I’ve read your posts about the western US and was curious as to your thoughts about these places.

Freddie, I’ve spent time in the Rocky Mountains, in training for my job. In the Longmont, Fort Collins, Boulder Colorado area. I love Estes Park , and could easily see myself retiring and living nearby. Even ventured up from there into Cheyenne Wyoming. I’ve read your posts about the western US and was curious as to your thoughts about these places.

Man, I love those places. I have driven all over Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. I love those states. I have a friend who has a cabin (they call it a cabin but I call it a house-it has four bedrooms) at Grand Lake, Co. We spend one night there before we took off to see the sights of Colorado. Before we got to Grand Lake we visited the Stanley Hotel at Estes Park. And of course the drive through the Rocky Mountain National Park was great. I think I mentioned this in a post above but we saw a lot of cool animals and even more animals than we state at Yellowstone. That location is close to a lot of other cool locations, Ft. Collins, Denver, Cheyenne, Laramie and of course Boulder.

Bear_Roster, I could drive forever and a day in that section of the country and never get tried or bored. I love anything to do with the Old West.

BTW, uscg1984 and Hi Cock are excellent sources of information relative to those areas.

Man, I love those places. I have driven all over Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. I love those states. I have a friend who has a cabin (they call it a cabin but I call it a house-it has four bedrooms) at Grand Lake, Co. We spend one night there before we took off to see the sights of Colorado. Before we got to Grand Lake we visited the Stanley Hotel at Estes Park. And of course the drive through the Rocky Mountain National Park was great. I think I mentioned this in a post above but we saw a lot of cool animals and even more animals than we state at Yellowstone. That location is close to a lot of other cool locations, Ft. Collins, Denver, Cheyenne, Laramie and of course Boulder.

Bear_Roster, I could drive forever and a day in that section of the country and never get tried or bored. I love anything to do with the Old West.

BTW, uscg1984 and Hi Cock are excellent sources of information relative to those areas.

I love the area. I just wish I could have seen more of it. As it was, work took up most of my time when I was there. I have always told my wife that I would take her there for an extended amount of time when it was possible. It truly is a beautiful place to visit.

If you like the drive through RMNP, go up to Wyoming and drive the Bear tooth Highway between Cody, WY, and Red Lodge, MT. Absolutely stunning scenery. It makes RMNP look dull. You can do it as a day trip out of Cody, which is a great place to visit itself.

If you like the drive through RMNP, go up to Wyoming and drive the Bear tooth Highway between Cody, WY, and Red Lodge, MT. Absolutely stunning scenery. It make RMNP look dull. You can do it as a day trip out of Cody, which is a great place itself.

I drove the Bear Tooth Trail in 2016 and it was at least my 2nd favorite (maybe my favorite) drive. And the beauty and natural wonders was unmatched. I left Cody, Wy and drove to Cook City, Mt and drove to Red Lodge. I had a camcorder and I don't know how many times I stopped. At every turn there was something even more magnificent that what you just saw. I want to make that drive again.

Amelie Island Florida is a great place to visit. Not a lot of people there and you almost have to beach to yourself. A lot of old historical buildings. And not far Jacksonville and St Augustine. We are hopeful heading down there in july.
Been to several weekend conferences over the years to Amelia Island!! Damned nice place as far as the beaches and whatnot, and some great golf courses around there as-well!! Better than St. Augustine IMHO! But by no means to I intend to negate the fineness of St. Augustine either!!

Reactions: jeff2001
My friend just send me a picture of a moose with a big rack from his cabin in Grand Lake, Co. where he and his family spend the 4th.
I wish I knew how to post the picture, it's cool.

Amelie Island Florida is a great place to visit. Not a lot of people there and you almost have to beach to yourself. A lot of old historical buildings. And not far Jacksonville and St Augustine. We are hopeful heading down there in july.

In the summer the mountains are hard to beat. There are several high altitude places but my favorite is the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is somewhere between 4&5000 feet above sea level; therefore it is very cool in the summer. Take a sweater with you. It’s a great summer break from Lower SC heat.
I'm always wanted to vacation there. Please tell us all about the place. We've been to Daytona many times over the years but have never been to Amelie Island. Plus, we love St. Augustine.

Penrose, N.C.!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT