ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody have any Gamecock football questions? I'll answer them here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Free day of questions for our folks here on FGF. Fire away with some questions and I'll answer them here!

Reactions: Chanticleer37
With the delay until Sept 26 to start the season, does on the field practice still start today or begin at a later date while continuing S&C?
Thx Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: uscg1984
How do you feel about the offensive line? Will they be better at run blocking and making holes for our RB’s?

Also, who do you think will be the starter at RB?

Good morning, appreciate the question! We are in process of updating the roster since USC just released the updated information here recently. So, hopefully soon!
Will RH be the starter. Do any of the others look like they will be a threat to take over?

With the threat of pandemic looming large, what is the policy for exposures/possible exposures, and how many student will need to be exposed before a game is postponed or cancelled?

Hearing anything about adapting to Bobo’s offense? Since this is some guys third system any struggles or guys really grasping it.

Last edited:
Reactions: redrogers
With the delay until Sept 26 to start the season, does on the field practice still start today or begin at a later date while continuing S&C?
Thx Chris

The players and coaches are still in the "OTA" period that was put in during the Covid shutdown, meaning they can get on the field with face to face instruction and use a ball, but still not padded up and not in an actual "preseason camp" type setting.

Right now, that practice date is set for August 7 as far as preseason camp. Ray Tanner said recently that they haven't been given any indication of changes from the league on that start date even with the season pushed back, so they could just structure practices in a way that teams basically have 7 weeks.

Which wide receivers do you think will step up this year? Any potential stars waiting in the wings?

Be glad to answer, but I'm also going to link a video Wes and I produced fairly recently on this topic that goes into depth.

Shi Smith is expected to be the lead guy and the staff really needs him to step up and take that number one slot and be consistent.

I think Xavier Legette has a lot of upside, still. Can Josh Vann rebound from a poor sophomore season? Then you have OrTre Smith, Dreak Davis if he can stay healthy, Joyner. It is indeed a question mark.

Some newcomers could help - keep an eye on Rico Powers. If Jalen Brooks can be eligible as a transfer, he's one to watch.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
I saw Bono’s Offense at the Township in 1977.

1200px-Bono_singing_in_Indianapolis_on_Joshua_Tree_Tour_2017_9-10-17.jpg

sonny-bono-9542076-1-402.jpg

How do you feel about the offensive line? Will they be better at run blocking and making holes for our RB’s?

Also, who do you think will be the starter at RB?

OL and RB play work hand in hand. When you have backs playing really well, the OL looks very good. You're simply not going to be dominant in the run game in the SEC as far as just moving people off the ball, at least consistently. You've got to have backs that can make guys miss. MarShawn Lloyd is really explosive and I think he's going to be the starter day one. People inside the program are really talking him up. But yeah, you have to get backs that can make guys miss or run through a guy.

I do think the OL has some depth and some talent; it's a group that's been recruited to pretty well in my view.

I like this team. But we have concerns about WR. Who do you think at the wide receiver position could surprise some people this year?

There are definitely some concerns. For me, it's about whether Shi Smith can be consistent and take that number one slot. Can USC stay healthy? Does Joyner take a step forward along with Leggette (he's the highest upside guy to me). Can Vann rebound from a poor sophomore season, can OrTre Smith get back to freshman year form? Is a freshman ready (Wes is about to publish some notes on The Insiders Forum with what he's hearing on that today)? Is transfer Jalen Brooks going to be eligible to play immediately?

Legette's probably the main guy I'd pick to take a step forward.

Will RH be the starter. Do any of the others look like they will be a threat to take over?

It's between Hilinski and Hill. Since February, Wes Mitchell (on staff here at GamecockCentral.com) has been reporting not to count out Hill. He certainly has a legitimate shot and it making some noise. That's been the case even before he was cleared medically and he's been cleared for a while. Preseason camp will be quite interesting.

With the threat of pandemic looming large, what is the policy for exposures/possible exposures, and how many student will need to be exposed before a game is postponed or cancelled?

That's a great question, but we simply don't know as far as when a school (or the conference or the NCAA) would step in and say enough is enough. We haven't heard any firm protocols on that yet.

As for exposures in practice/preseason settings, there are some things in place for that. That is, if you're exposed to a guy that tests positive (and there's a baseline for that, such as 15 minutes without a mask, etc) then you have to quarantine.

Hope that answers it for you?

Reactions: paladin181
What, in your opinion, are the strengths of the team going into the season?

I would say offensive line on offense (MarShawn Lloyd could turn out to be really good as well) and I'd say linebacker on defense. I feel great about Horn at corner, want to see where Mukuamu is going to end up playing. DL could still be a strength but have to make sure BUCK gets sorted and that Pickens/Sandidge step forward in Kinlaw's absence.

That's a great question, but we simply don't know as far as when a school (or the conference or the NCAA) would step in and say enough is enough. We haven't heard any firm protocols on that yet.

As for exposures in practice/preseason settings, there are some things in place for that. That is, if you're exposed to a guy that tests positive (and there's a baseline for that, such as 15 minutes without a mask, etc) then you have to quarantine.

Hope that answers it for you?
Thank you for the answer!

Hearing anything about adapting to Bobo’s offense? Since this is some guys third system any struggles or guys really grasping it.

We'll know more on that as far as actual on-field application when the pads come on, the players have just been working actually on field with the coaches during OTAs. There will be some carryover in the passing game although the running game will be a good bit different. I haven't heard of any difficulties in adjusting there. For the QBs, having Collin Hill is pretty significant as well (and he can help the skill guys also).

Reactions: Dizzy01
What are your thoughts on Cam Smith's progression and do you think he will be able to lock down a starting role?

Is Dickerson healthy and will he be a factor in the secondary this season?

Thank you.

Why did we do so poorly last year and what record do you see for this year’s squad?

Thanks!

On a scale of 1 -10, with one feeling sick and 10 feeling great, how do you feel about the Quarterback position for the 2020 season?

How healthy is O'Tre ? anything...?

Last I heard, he was feeling good. That was just a long road in terms of everything from the mental side of it to pain management (which is the biggest issue there with an injury and surgery like that). He's in better position than he's been for a while.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
What are your thoughts on Cam Smith's progression and do you think he will be able to lock down a starting role?

Is Dickerson healthy and will he be a factor in the secondary this season?

Thank you.

We'll know more on Smith once they get the pads on. He and Dixon are both key, and USC would love for one of those guys to step up and show that they can take a corner slot. Dixon was more ready last season, as Smith just needed to continue learning, getting bigger, etc.

Dickerson's healthy last we heard and needs to stay as such, that would be significant. If he stays healthy then yes, he should play a significant role back there.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Why did we do so poorly last year and what record do you see for this year’s squad?

Thanks!

What a loaded first question, haha.

I can't predict record this season in part because we're still learning a lot about this team and others and haven't even had the benefit of seeing them go through a full spring practice (much less preseason practice) slate, plus we don't know the final two opponents for the conference only schedule yet.

Now, back to your first question. Lots of factors. Injuries were once again huge. There were certain games (Clemson for instance) in which it wouldn't have mattered. But, would a healthier squad have helped in another game or two? Perhaps.

The offense was so inconsistent and not good enough for much of the year and that was the biggest issue. QB wasn't good enough overall, the run game fell off, there was a lack of explosion, receiving corps got decimated at one point. Above all, that was the biggest issue. USC simply couldn't sustain the run of injuries and wasn't good enough in key areas whether you point to scheme or skill or inexperience or maybe all of those things at once in spots.

The defense would have been good enough to hold up more had it not been for the offense's inability at times. Look at A&M for a great example of that.

Reactions: MAC1906 and vacock#
On a scale of 1 -10, with one feeling sick and 10 feeling great, how do you feel about the Quarterback position for the 2020 season?

Good question. I'd say 6 until further notice.

I would worry about the receivers around the quarterback and weigh that into my answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT