ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else agree that Rico..

I think the run scheme has been better. I like the run heavy look where we bring two lineman around and outnumber the opponent. Rico has been about being patient and letting the hole develop and hitting the crease. He wasn't doing that before. I wonder if the new RB coach has helped him with that.

Yes very surprised. I honestly expected Feaster to be the featured back this year based on Dowdles performance over the last two years but he's been great so far.

Reactions: howard13
I do not think Dowdle has dropped a pass this season which did occur in the seasons past. I am not sure if he has fumbled the ball this season or not. Once Dowdle gets past the line of scrimmage he can be like a Bison where it takes a few defenders to stop him and while trying to tackle him, Dowdle carries the defendes with him for a few yards. Also give credit to Coach Thomas Brown he has done an exceptional job. Give this coach a raise immediately after the season or he could be snapped up by one of the wealthy teams.

..is the biggest surprise so far? He's stopped the jukin' and jivin' and is powering north-south.
HE has looked great this year! I think it has to do with Feaster based on an interview which he stated they have helped each other a lot. I also think he has benefitted from a solid running back coach. He has looked very explosive at times this season. I havent seen that in awhile. He certainly is one of the biggest surprises this year!

I said when Feaster decided to come here our run game just got better and how competition is a great motivator. I love watching Rico play this year.

Reactions: Quisp
Also give credit to Coach Thomas Brown he has done an exceptional job. Give this coach a raise immediately after the season or he could be snapped up by one of the wealthy teams.
Will made a good hire. Now, if we can just upgrade the OC, DC and S&C coaches we may see a return to the SS' years or dare I say it? Even better.
The OC and DC are being paid about 1M per year. Not sure USC is getting its money's worth. I think they make about the same as Clemson's OC and DC. Hmmm.....

Jaylen Nichols for me, here is a guy not highly ranked and playing Tackle very well at the SEC level, doesn't happen much as a true freshman when not a 4 or 5 star guy everyone knows about.

Always thought he had a lot of potential.Injuries have held him back some.He has been running the ball great this year,plowing through tackles.Looks faster too.Hats off to Coach Brown!

Reactions: rogue cock
Will made a good hire. Now, if we can just upgrade the OC, DC and S&C coaches we may see a return to the SS' years or dare I say it? Even better.
The OC and DC are being paid about 1M per year. Not sure USC is getting its money's worth. I think they make about the same as Clemson's OC and DC. Hmmm.....
S&C? Did you just miss our OL and DL pushing around UGA's massive lines on Saturday....and the Defense playing 95+ snaps with as much effort on the last play as on the first?

No thanks on that one.....I'll keep Dillman, thank you.

Last edited:
think they make about the same as Clemson's OC and DC. Hmmm.....

Venebles makes $2 million a year, Clemson has 2 Co offensive coordinators that make $1 million each, basically $2 million into the OC position as well.

Rico has been great. He made some tremendous runs this season and averaged close to 4 yds a carry against Georgia.

Reactions: Brace1
Well I’m definitely not shocked at Rico’s production. I said he would show out, “if he stayed healthy, and I also said, Tevien Feaster wouldn’t beat him out,” but hey; I got ridiculed on here, Cockytalk, Facebook, and around a few of my Gamecock friends.
I know everybody want to say it’s because of the competition of Feaster being added to “the foil, and they wanna give credit to Thomas Brown; but the truth is Rico had this all along, but he was injured and his sore body could not muster the strength, for him to do the things he’s now doing!
I’m sure Feaster and Brown helped motivate him, but he was gonna have a good senior year regardless, and I’m postive he would’ve posted good numbers in 2017-2018 if he was healthy!

Competition is a great motivator.

Winner. If we didn't get Feaster I wonder if it would have been same ole same ole.

I think it has to do more with Rico staying healthy. That's been his major hurdle in the past, and he was always an effective runner when he was healthy, with 5.0+ YPC averages his entire career.

When Ty'son Williams transferred in from UNC, everyone said he was immediately the most talented back on the roster. And Williams was productive too once he was eligible - he was never able to steal the starting job away from a healthy Dowdle, although he dealt with injuries too.

That competition didn't push Dowdle beyond what he was already producing, to any noticeable degree. And while Feaster was called the best RB on the roster the instant he joined - even before he joined, really - he hasn't done much better than what Williams provided.

I think it's a combination of Rico staying healthy, this being his senior year and last chance to have a huge season and possibly make some NFL opportunities for himself, and finally having a better RB position coach and run game coordinator.....

Well I’m definitely not shocked at Rico’s production. I said he would show out, “if he stayed healthy, and I also said, Tevien Feaster wouldn’t beat him out,” but hey; I got ridiculed on here, Cockytalk, Facebook, and around a few of my Gamecock friends.
I know everybody want to say it’s because of the competition of Feaster being added to “the foil, and they wanna give credit to Thomas Brown; but the truth is Rico had this all along, but he was injured and his sore body could not muster the strength, for him to do the things he’s now doing!
I’m sure Feaster and Brown helped motivate him, but he was gonna have a good senior year regardless, and I’m postive he would’ve posted good numbers in 2017-2018 if he was healthy!

I'm with you on this: fans said before Williams would save the day, then said Feaster would be an impact player, but both don't seem to be able to take the starting job away from Rico when he stays healthy. Rico deserves more love from Gamecock Nation.....

I'm with you on this: fans said before Williams would save the day, then said Feaster would be an impact player, but both don't seem to be able to take the starting job away from Rico when he stays healthy. Rico deserves more love from Gamecock Nation.....
No doubt about that! And even though Rico proved he was the better back in the first few games, people was still saying Feaster was the best back on the team, not giving Rico his due and that’s sad. And like you said the same thing happened when Ty’son Williams transferred to Columbia, people said he was our best back.

No doubt about that! And even though Rico proved he was the better back in the first few games, people was still saying Feaster was the best back on the team, not giving Rico his due and that’s sad. And like you said the same thing happened when Ty’son Williams transferred to Columbia, people said he was our best back.

LOL I think it comes from that same Gamecock fanbase mentality that always thinks the back-up QB is the best QB on the roster, and that the highly touted incoming prospect is going to steal starts from returning veterans right off the bat. Always looking for that greener grass on the other side of the hill......

#3 was the best QB from the first day he stepped on the practice field.
I’m not so sure about that! Jake’s freshman year he started the last 7 games and his QBR and completion percentage was better than Ryan’s who’s started five games so far. Now we can say Ryan’s injuries have slowed him down, but that doesn’t take away the fact that Bentley looked just as good as Hilinski did to start his Gamecock career. And I gotta say this, both of those guys benefitted from defensive coordinators not knowing much about them. Look at what happened to Georgia when Dak was put in the game, they were clueless about he was gonna do. That kid down in “Hickins county” is no longer the greatest QB in the world either, now that coordinators have tape on him. but Jimnasium, I will say this. “Ryan Hilinski is a very good QB who has a bright future ahead of him if he can stay healthy these next few years. The young man can play!

S&C? Did you just miss our OL and DL pushing around UGA's massive lines on Saturday....and the Defense playing 95+ snaps with as much effort on the last play as on the first?

No thanks on that one.....I'll keep Dillman, thank you.

OK. Hey glad to read something positive about him. I was going mainly by the way he looks(can add WM to that, too)about 40 to 50 lbs overweight. He should look the part he is coaching and even if he wasn't a coach he should live a healthier lifestyle which is something he teaches.
Venebles makes $2 million a year, Clemson has 2 Co offensive coordinators that make $1 million each, basically $2 million into the OC position as well.
OK. Was thinking I read on here that they were making basically the same as USC's co-ords. I googled and you are correct. The OC is a flip as BMac makes same as one of them and so far he ain't worth it.
You have to tip hat to Clemson. They ain't cheap. Wish USC had an OC and DC worth that much.
Now if BMac and TRob can call a GREAT game against Fla I may change my mind. It seems WM is holding TRob's hand and ditto on someone holding BMac's hand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT