ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have the Ring Video Doorbell 3 installed in their home? And if so do you recommend them?***

I had a Nest doorbell camera installed at my Moms house. She lives by herself since my Dads passing a couple years ago. It’s been the best thing I could’ve done. She has locked herself out of the house on several occasions (without her phone) and has been able to use the camera/audio to contact me (I have it set up to alarm to my phone). I also can see when anyone comes by or rings the doorbell. I’ve intercepted a few solicitors (my Mom is very friendly and will often give out a little too much info without realizing times are different now).

I have it and it’s very handy. My kids can call me from it if they need me. They have a service where they record from the camera but I passed on that. I also like it gives you a motion notification to your phone if it detects anything.

I had a Nest doorbell camera installed at my Moms house. She lives by herself since my Dads passing a couple years ago. It’s been the best thing I could’ve done. She has locked herself out of the house on several occasions (without her phone) and has been able to use the camera/audio to contact me (I have it set up to alarm to my phone). I also can see when anyone comes by or rings the doorbell. I’ve intercepted a few solicitors (my Mom is very friendly and will often give out a little too much info without realizing times are different now).

That sounds like what I would love to have for my home. One last question, are they hard to install and set-up? Living in a small town makes it challenging at times to get things like the above installed.

Thanks again!

Highly recommend. We have salesman that come knock on our door in our neighborhood regularly. It’s nice to say no thanks from the phone without even opening the door.

I would think it’s a strong deterrent for crime. I’m sure some criminals are aware of the camera and are on the lookout for it. It won’t prevent all crime, but just seeing it on the door makes you less likely to be a target. I back it up with Smith and Wesson though....LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

That sounds like what I would love to have for my home. One last question, are they hard to install and set-up? Living in a small town makes it challenging at times to get things like the above installed.

Thanks again!
We had my Moms installed by the electrician while her home was being remodeled, so I honestly can’t speak to that part. You do have to have WiFi in your home, but linking it to that is pretty straight forward (even I was able to do it).

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
We had my Moms installed by the electrician while her home was being remodeled, so I honestly can’t speak to that part. You do have to have WiFi in your home, but linking it to that is pretty straight forward (even I was able to do it).

Thanks, we do have WiFi.

Thanks again!
It is not difficult at all to install, and you do not have to wire into your home's electrical system, it also runs on a rechargeable battery that lasts a good while. I've got two, front and back.

If you do decide to wire into your home's electrical system, its a simple matter of using your existing doorbell's wiring, provided the voltage is compatible.

I have one on the front and back of the house. Yeah, it's worth it. If you want to record motion, you can pay $30 a year per camera for that. Otherwise, you will just get alerts when motion happens and you can talk to whoever is there. I've used it many, many times to make it seem like I was home when someone came up. Caught a guy in my backyard one time too. You also get neighborhood alerts when something is going down near your home. Good to know. In this day and age, you have to have it. And we installed it ourself. If you can put up a floodlight or a ceiling fan, you can install it.

We have the second generation Ring doorbell. Very happy with it, easy to install. If you have an existing, wired (old fashioned) doorbell you are replacing, I recommend installing a wired Ring doorbell instead of the battery powered version. The latest may allow either wired or battery, not sure. Battery is still good, especially if there’s no existing wire, however the battery will eventually run down and need replacing, which isn’t a big deal.

Last edited:
I liked the features better with Eufy and like its operation. IIRC, you have to buy a monthly charge with Ring and you don’t with Eufy.

Monthly fees?

Optional $3 per month or $30 per year for unlimited recordings. I generally avoid monthly/annual subscriptions, in this case it seems like a reasonable fee. If there ever is an incident, and I didn’t pay for recording, I’d have a lot of regret.

Last edited:
Folks, thanks very much I plan to get one! That's what I like about GCC, you can get great advice on anything from a Ring Tone for your door to getting rid of .... well. LOL!

I've been planning for a while to get one. I may wait until after Christmas to get some help if I were to need assistance. In fact, I'm going to call someone right now.

For Ring to work you must have sufficient upload capacity in your WiFi or it will not work. Check to be sure.

I just contacted a person who can set up the whole thing for me. And surprisingly he is reasonable. He is going to look up the specs for several different systems for me tonight and then I am going to decide which system I want and he is going to install the whole package for me.

Thanks again to everyone for their input and recommendations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT