ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here from the Ercoupe and Plano days?

Back when we used to talk sports? Without trashing our own

I guess you don’t remember Rooster calling people a POS, and worse. Attacks on posters were happening then. There was a slight separation in the types of posts when GCC added the Insider paid forum. I did that for a while. Also had Locker Room for a while where the real slugfests happened. I think it depends on how well our teams are doing. Some people are just not happy in their lives. What I hate is when someone calls you a Clemons fan. Yuck.

Good times. Some hard days for our teams then, and some good ones. Yes, I liked the board more then.

Was living in Atl during those days. There was a great group who used to do Lunch on Fridays at Frankies.

Miss those days.
I enjoyed those lunches

Yep — under a different name though. I go back to the original Gamecock message board on PRODIGY (mid 80s). Search past messages referring to our players as “sissies” and you’ll find it’s highly likely I posted it. Those posts usually upset the rah-rahs on the board, but I do indeed miss the old days.

Reactions: NetworkX
Yes, under Gold Beach, and it was great. A personal assault was never noted.

Last edited:
What ever happened to CaliCock?

Last I talked to Eric, he was in Dallas or Houston!! I'll try to find his Email address and hook up with him and letcha know later on!! Eric is great guy, and has assisted me with a few things over the years that I'll always owe him for!

Latyer,

G

Oh, those were the days. Folks were mature enough that they didn’t live their life thru a teenager.
I (respectfully) disagree with you sir. When I was 19 - 22 years of age....I didn't know what half of these "NCAA Football Student/Athletes" know at 15....that is not an accurate excuse. What I am saying is this.....I certainly don't live my life around these teenagers as you call them..... matter of fact I have absolutely NO confidence in that generation period. All these opportunities that I didn't have.... a million ways to make money....unfortunately, a million and one ways to lose it.....these young men aren't handling their responsibilities all that well in my opinion. They don't WORK hard enough. They are simply LAZY. And disappointing to say the least. Too much Twitter, too much Facebook, too much celebrating and not enough PRACTICE/WORK.

FreeHawk, CarFlagMaker, DBMack

I think Freehawk=Beans....not 100% on that. Calhouncock and Colletoncock were good ones. Colleton passed away a few years back from a pretty rare illness. Plano had AD polycystic kidney disease and refused any more dialysis....died with dignity. Never once did he denigrate a gamecock player or poster on this or any board....except when a poster was extremely out of line.

Minletcock was another good one.

PS. My info is second hand from my dad!

Reactions: NetworkX
That was before the board split into pay and free boards. Most of the mature posters paid up and moved away from this board, which is sad, since other teams view this board during gameday and don't get to see the quality posters we once had here. This was once one of the best boards in the country, per the chatter on other boards, but that was many years ago. Not even remotely as good as it once was.
Was it before widescale use of smartphones? I found that when you actually had to sit at a computer and log on, you got more thoughtful responses than you do today when every fleeting thought can be captured in a second through one's phone.

Last edited:
That was before the board split into pay and free boards. Most of the mature posters paid up and moved away from this board, which is sad, since other teams view this board during gameday and don't get to see the quality posters we once had here. This was once one of the best boards in the country, per the chatter on other boards, but that was many years ago. Not even remotely as good as it once was.
I see you have me beat by a couple of years, more or less!

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
How about King Jackie? Never understood why a Miss St guy was here all the time but it was back when they were our permanent west opponent

Timely thread. When I joined in 1999 the quality of football was about what it is right now. Some things don't change. Gamecock football is one.

Reactions: The Defender
Not me, I really liked cockliv. I met him and his sister one time at a tailgate, both were very nice people.

Also, I remember plano and coupe. I know that plano passed away several years ago but what about coupe?

Plano was on one of the late talk shows one night, it was cool seeing him on that show.

Also, I remember furncock and Dr. Strangecock. Dr. Strangecock was a funny guy, in a good way.

One of the funniest posters, back in the day, was Crashfreze - can't remember the spelling for sure but it was something similar to the way I spelled it above.
Crash did some awesome artwork for wallpapers I was trailblazer in those days.

Great to see the inventors of the gamecock interweb alive and kicking! I found a remnant of the old site a few years back that had the history attached but I can't find it anymore!

We didn't "invent" it. It was originally started by a guy out of Augusta (I would like to give him credit but I can't remember his name.) He got overwhelmed by it (eventually as did we) as it took a lot of time to maintain. I registered the domain (USCCOCKS.COM) and used a script from MATT WRIGHT to get the original Webboard up and running. And Later we modified that for "The Deuce."

I think "Gamecock Webboard" would hit on primordial search engines.

Either way, nothing but props! Looks like the program is in similar shape to the Brad Scott days!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT