ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know if Duce Staley was considered by Ray Turner?

Where is a documented list of people who actually interviewed ?

Why don't you go a find one and share it with us? Why do you expect fans on a message board to do all of your research for you? You are the one asking the questions, why don't you go find your own answers? Heck you could probably even find some answers that can be spun to fit your agenda.

Unfortunate, but likely a token interview to check a box.
Could be; could be not - but it doesn't reflect on Beamer one way of the other. I'm fine with a minority head coach, but I want him to project as a Tony Dungy, not a Ty Willingham. In retrospect, I'm sure Notre Dame would understand.

Reactions: 92Pony
Unfortunate, but likely a token interview to check a box.
A year ago, we were the only power 5 program with both an offensive and defensive coordinator, Ray approved those contracts. Do you have any reason to imply he's racist, or are you just slandering him for no good reason. Also black people are 13% of the population in the US, and 34% of our coaching staff, Hispanic people are 30% of the population and 0% of our coaching staff. Why not right that wrong?

Reactions: Lakecock1
A year ago, we were the only power 5 program with both an offensive and defensive coordinator, Ray approved those contracts. Do you have any reason to imply he's racist, or are you just slandering him for no good reason. Also black people are 13% of the population in the US, and 34% of our coaching staff, Hispanic people are 30% of the population and 0% of our coaching staff. Why not right that wrong?
It's not enough to blow smoke; the smoke has to be the right color.

It's not enough to blow smoke; the smoke has to be the right color.
I mean, if we're going to artificially limit our pool around identity instead of things that matter, why not hand out scholarships along the same lines. We shouldn't offer a single african American student athlete until we reach out Hispanic and Asian student athletes. Hell, vandy had a woman kick for them, we can do better. It's 2020 isn't it time for 90 lbs white female running backs to get flattened by 350 lb Samoans to the roar of the drunken crowd?

Reactions: king ward
No wondering how many were actually passed on before settling on Beamer
😄
I heard Tanner made his selection before the season started and all those "interviews" were just fun trips.
06snl-superJumbo.png

Where is a documented list of people who actually interviewed ?
Consider upgrading your membership from the free version to the one that costs just $10/month (or less if you pay annually) and you can have ample access to this information. Specific to your original question, we interviewed Chris Rumph and Brian Johnson. By all reports, Brian Johnson was in the top 4-5 in consideration, his age an experience level likely being the factors that held him back from an offer.

I don't think Ray is racist at all, my comment was more of a commentary (albeit brief) on the realities of the world we live in, not a venting of frustration about Brian Johnson.

I don't believe the school should hire an AA b/c they happen to be a minority or if they chose to pick a caucasian candidate over an equally qualified AA candidate that it should matter either. My hope is the color of your skin just isn't a factor in someones desire to interview or hire you.

The NFL has a publicly stated rule that you must interview a minority canidate. You can debate the merit of such, i think it is/was well intentioned but creates a situation where it can become very awkward, teams have to find someone to interview. You have forced people to check a box.

I remember that one assistant coach in the NFL (don't remember who it was, this was a number of years back) was the go to guy for like 2-3 years and he basically came out and said he thought it was a joke, teams were just checking the box and he wasn't going to interview anymore.

He was right, they were. Most owners and GM's know who they want before they fire the current guy or at least it is narrowed down to 2-3 candidates at the most.

I don't believe for two seconds that Brian Johnson was a legitimate candidate for this job. Admittedly I really know nothing about him. He very well may be a Head Coach one day, but i think many colleges want to be or at least perceived to be as open and progressive as they can be. Nothing wrong with that per se.

Regardless of their intentions, if they are pure or not, I think it is in their best interest to locate and identify a minority candidate to interview. It prevents unwanted questions that might arise from a "woke" so called reporter.

Is it a stretch to think that Brian Johnson could have been interviewed so the University can say that it considered a minority canidate? I am not claiming they did, but you know it probably happens at some places if not many.

Okay. Which African American coach should've been hired?

Reactions: cockofthegoat
Sterling Sharpe ain’t walking through that door.
Duce ain’t walking through that door.
JD ain’t walking through that door.

SOS ain’t walking through that door. Heck he acts like he never coached here most of the time.

We got who we got. Let’s go play!

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I don't think Ray is racist at all, my comment was more of a commentary (albeit brief) on the realities of the world we live in, not a venting of frustration about Brian Johnson.

I don't believe the school should hire an AA b/c they happen to be a minority or if they chose to pick a caucasian candidate over an equally qualified AA candidate that it should matter either. My hope is the color of your skin just isn't a factor in someones desire to interview or hire you.

The NFL has a publicly stated rule that you must interview a minority canidate. You can debate the merit of such, i think it is/was well intentioned but creates a situation where it can become very awkward, teams have to find someone to interview. You have forced people to check a box.

I remember that one assistant coach in the NFL (don't remember who it was, this was a number of years back) was the go to guy for like 2-3 years and he basically came out and said he thought it was a joke, teams were just checking the box and he wasn't going to interview anymore.

He was right, they were. Most owners and GM's know who they want before they fire the current guy or at least it is narrowed down to 2-3 candidates at the most.

I don't believe for two seconds that Brian Johnson was a legitimate candidate for this job. Admittedly I really know nothing about him. He very well may be a Head Coach one day, but i think many colleges want to be or at least perceived to be as open and progressive as they can be. Nothing wrong with that per se.

Regardless of their intentions, if they are pure or not, I think it is in their best interest to locate and identify a minority candidate to interview. It prevents unwanted questions that might arise from a "woke" so called reporter.

Is it a stretch to think that Brian Johnson could have been interviewed so the University can say that it considered a minority canidate? I am not claiming they did, but you know it probably happens at some places if not many.
The reason the NFL had that rule is because people point out the discrepancy between the 70% of players that are black and the 10% of head coaches. The thing about that is that most coaches have never been professional players, the players are not the hiring pool. Looking for bias is as destructive as bias. If there is reason to believe therr is bias, it should be addressed, but two disparate numbers with no context is proof of nothing. Why assertion of implications beyond that should never be entertained because in my short 28 years, I've seen nothing more destructive than jumping to conclusions on nothing more than disparate numbers. People forget they're maligning humans, people never ask for context to gain a fuller picture, people become convinced there is no rectifying an issue that may not even be an issue because prudence isn't in human nature.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT