ADVERTISEMENT

anyone remember a football season like this one?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
It seems like all was going to be great but it has all hit rock bottom. Season didnt go like we wanted/expected. Recruiting seemed more crazy than ever before with alot of decommitments. Spurrier made strange comments. Coaching uncertainty. What seems like many more transfers than usual. One of top recruits arrested. It just feels like a dark cloud over this team right now and somewhat seems like no one knows what next year will be like. Only thing I can remember like this was after the Clemson brawl for about 48 hours before we knew Lou was leaving. I sure hope spring ball comes soon and we can get back on track because it seems like things are in disarray right now.

Originally posted by CCUIrmo:
It seems like all was going to be great but it has all hit rock bottom. Season didnt go like we wanted/expected. Recruiting seemed more crazy than ever before with alot of decommitments. Spurrier made strange comments. Coaching uncertainty. What seems like many more transfers than usual. One of top recruits arrested. It just feels like a dark cloud over this team right now and somewhat seems like no one knows what next year will be like. Only thing I can remember like this was after the Clemson brawl for about 48 hours before we knew Lou was leaving. I sure hope spring ball comes soon and we can get back on track because it seems like things are in disarray right now.
Yeah, every year prior to 2005 except we didn't up with a top 20 recruiting class.

After Kentucky, Mizzou and Tenn. this year, I certainly didn't think we'd be where we are and that is being in the exact same position. We've added a body but really thought bigger strides would've been taken to insure no repeating of last year. Hoped to be energized, but hard to be when the brass appears to be just as bored as I am.

After the Mo loss, I did something I've never done before. I emotionally detached from this season. Told my wife not to plan things around games cause it didn't matter this year. I knew after game 1 that something was wrong. Something we've never seen before. There was a problem with the D that was so severe and systemic that it wasn't going to be fixed this season. I knew that it didn't matter how many points the O put up, that D would allow more.

As far as overall disappointment, 2002 and 2007 were close. 2007 actually was very similar to this year. Overhyped team that beat some decent competition early before nose diving in the middle of the season.

This post was edited on 2/17 3:46 PM by gamecockengineer2011

Originally posted by gamecockengineer2011:
As far as overall disappointment, 2002 and 2007 were close. 2007 actually was very similar to this year. Overhyped team that beat some decent competition early before nose diving in the middle of the season.

This post was edited on 2/17 3:46 PM by gamecockengineer2011
I remember a lot of disappointing seasons. Since SOS arrived I have hope very year.. Also confidence leading up to each bowl game. If we fall short any of his years I believe SOS would address problems . This past year was especially susprising. Losing like we did to Tn, Ky and Mizzu should never happen. Players were not up to task but still responsibility of our coaches. If SOS did not believe he could correct problems he would have retired after last season. If we can get defense fixed we can have a good season next year.
Side note: I hope up and coming Qb's will work hard this off season! They also are a big part of the key to another good year

I am just thankful we will have another season to look forward too.

I did I the same thing. My daughter (my little gamecock) even noticed. In the UT game when Wilds had the long TD run I didn't get excited. She asked why? I told her then that we scored too soon. That this drive needed to last longer to keep the D off the field. We all know how that turned out. Hasn't been the same for me since.

Either way, for me, the season is over. I'm ooking forward to seeing the Spring Game and the 2015 season. Excited to we what Home and the new talent can bring, and anxiously waiting for leaders to emerge on the offense.

GCock47 posted on 2/17/2015...
After the Mo loss, I did something I've never done before. I emotionally detached from this season.
===============================================================

I've done that, too. The losses don't bother me as much as they did years ago. I just don't care as much after being disappointed year after year-not talking about the four years before this season but even the 11 win seasons were somewhat disappointing as we didn't make it to Atlanta and we should have.

We've had poor teams in past for sure, many of them, but what makes this past season like no other was the fall from being so highly ranked. Expectations were put at a peak, by not only the media, but by the coaching staff themselves...Fans were excited as never before...The fall from grace was epic...I think we were shocked somewhat by the Texas A & M game but thought they were just that good (maybe)..Later in the season, the truth revealed itself..We were just that bad...Now we must dig out of the hole we have dug...This year will determine whether our program has indeed been elevated, or if we just lucked up , got a few good players , and had a few good years....The coaches will have to work harder this year than ever before to show the program has been elevated...

It strikes me odd that you all think going 7-6 and winning a bowl represented a "poor" team. If there is anything that illustrates just how much Spurrier has changed things at USC, it's that. We won 3 bowl games in 100+ years before he arrived!!

Originally posted by Jack_Burton:
It strikes me odd that you all think going 7-6 and winning a bowl represented a "poor" team. If there is anything that illustrates just how much Spurrier has changed things at USC, it's that. We won 3 bowl games in 100+ years before he arrived!!
You're missing the point. This season didn't have to be as bad as it was. We all expected a little drop off. Most of us would have be ok with a 8-9 wins. It was the way we lost that was different. This was the worst D I've ever watched in D1 football. It shouldn't have happened. The D coaches weren't prepared for this past season and didn't have a clue how to make adjustments. It was if there weren't any coaches on the D side of the ball.

Yes, I can remember such a season at every major football power in the country, including Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, So Cal, Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. Anyone who cant recall those seasons is pretty unfamiliar with the college football landscape.

"You're missing the point."

No, I'm not. Anyone who thinks that our team in 2014 was a "poor" team or had a unit that was among the "worst in the history of D1 football" is severely lacking in perspective. Were there disappointments? Oh, of course. But, was it some kind of travesty of humanity? Please. We won 7 games and won a bowl. Give me a break.

Originally posted by CCUIrmo:
"It seems like all was going to be great but it has all hit rock bottom."
I guess you must be too young to remember the brad scott years. That coach could show you what rock bottom really is.

I didn't say it was a "poor team." In fact, I was more than pleased with the O. I also didn't say that it was "some kind of travesty of humanity." Overstating your case doesn't improve the quality of your responses. What I said was that our D coaches weren't prepared for the season, and once it started, they didn't know how to adjust. For me, that made it a season that I don't remember us ever having. Yes, we've had bad coaches. Yes, we've had bad seasons. But in my mind, I've never seen an entire D unit as clueless and unprepared as this one for an entire season.

You hit the nail on the head...It was the futility of the defense that overshadowed the offensive production we had. Even the announcers were saying Spurrier should go for it on fourth downs because it was obvious the defense could not stop our opponents in the fourth quarter. That is sad....Don't think that was ever said about an Alabama , LSU , or Penn State team in their down years...

Come on. Everybody WAKE UP!!!!! This was a preseason top 10 team. This is the most disappointing Gamecock football season EVER!! Based on the success we've had the last 5 years, the expectations were sky high. Obviously, we didn't meet them.

Before you say anything, I remember the George Rogers years to the present.

With our performance last year and so many leaving the program, we won't be any better this year. Can't count on a bunch of young players to come in and perform up to SEC caliber. Then on top of it all, several of the recruits may not cleared to play.

It just eats you alive that you and your Nellie friends can't suck the rest of the board down into the gutter of despair with you, doesn't it. Disappointing seasons happen at every program in the country occasionally. If we don't show considerable improvement by next year, I'll join in with more criticism of the staff myself, but 2014 is over, we have a lot of good talent coming in for 2015, new coaches on board, and neither you nor I know why some of the defensive backups are transferring out, but it does leave room for more additions to the roster moving forward. I just cannot understand why any of you would make an active decision, given the option of seeing recent developments as a positive or negative, to consistently chose the negative alternative. Please explain this choice.

The road to improvement is to identify the negative, and fix it.. Ignoring the problems and going "rah,rah" does nothing...Those of you who use the term 'negative nellie" look at the length of time we have been supporters...We care...
Most of the rah rah guys seem to be newbies anyway to the board...

Originally posted by Number1pjones:
Come on. Everybody WAKE UP!!!!! This was a preseason top 10 team. This is the most disappointing Gamecock football season EVER!! Based on the success we've had the last 5 years, the expectations were sky high. Obviously, we didn't meet them.

Before you say anything, I remember the George Rogers years to the present.
You make an excellent point. I agree with you.

The road to improvement is to identify the negative, and fix it.. Ignoring the problems and going "rah,rah" does nothing...Those of you who use the term 'negative nellie" look at the length of time we have been supporters...We care...
Most of the rah rah guys seem to be newbies anyway to the board...

This "rah, rah" guy has more than 6 times the number of posts that you have, so who's the newbie here? Point of fact is that the Negative Nellies you passionately defend consistently take the low road on every issue, whether it's the recent transfers, an opening season loss to CofC, hiring of a new DC, retention of any of the staff responsible for the most successful 4 year run in our football history, Chad Holbrook"s success as Head Coach, ad nausem. Some posters do provide thoughtful, realistic suggestions for change and improvement, but those that come on here day after day with nothing but negativity and a lack of understanding of college atheletics , earn the title "Negative Nellie" without any help from me.
This post was edited on 2/19 11:30 AM by searooster

If our team last year wasn't poor, it was at best mediocre and far from good. I'm generally optimistic and I am not writing off next season by any means. But as a longtime fan, this past season reminded me a lot of 1985, 1995, 1997, 2002, and 2007.

As far as our defense last year, well, maybe I've seen worse defenses before, but not too many.

Anyway, 7-6 records aren't acceptable anymore.

"The road to improvement is to identify the negative, and fix it.."

Exactly cock1971, and while we won;t know for sure until they hit the field this fall, it looks like that is exactly what the coaching staff has done. Including the hire of Hoke.
Don't know of anyone on here "ignoring the problems and going "rah,rah"". Ihave been accused of being a sunshine pumper, told I'm not a realist and that I accept mediocrity. All not even close to the truth. Been a Gamecock since I was a little tot back in the early 60's. I have missed maybe 15 games, home and away, since we joined the SEC back in 92.
Got a lot of talent coming in, some new coaching philosophy to join what we currently have. so basses...you can go ahead and be pessimistic all you want...don't come back at me with realism. Realism is we should be a good football team in 15 and should be a fun season to watch. Plus, this year, no expectations.

What bothered me most this season was the lack of improvement. Having youth is one thing, but no improvement makes you feel hopeless. We may or may not win a lot of games this next season, but we need to at least show improvement along the way! I think we will with Hoke and the new players coming in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT