ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone want to talk linebackers?

NooNoo

Jan 27, 2002
just realized that we only have 3 on scholarship. Not a good situation.

b86491a76c5008c5618a4b6e02e91923.jpg

Better be combing the roster to see who played some lb in high school. The time to switch positions is now. Any injuries we are screwed. Over the course of our schedule you can expect it.

Moore, Allen-Williams, Walton, The lb from Charlotte who's name eludes me and the freshman from RNE who played last season, his name also eludes me at the moment..Guess i'm having a brain cramp right now...

Also Eldridge Thompson out of JUCO is a legit 4.5 tackling machine...Brad Johnson is 6'4"230 and very fast...Devonne Dawkins might be the fastest Gamecock linebacker since James Seawright..Sherrod Greene is a 6'1"230 beast and ferocious tackler...They recruited a very fast very athletic crop of linebackers

IMHO we'll be better faster and deeper at LB than we were last season...But i confess to being a very optimistic fan

looked like we didnt have any against the taters
As soon as there is a cure for tater derangement syndrome, i hope you dose yourself..many fans here are suffering same as you...I don't give a hair off a rats ass about the taters

Walton is gone and skai is coming back after a career threatening injury. Hope he is back 100% but I cannot imagine that he will. We have Allen-Williams, skai, tj Brunson. After that we will be waiting on freshmen to come in. Deeper? Wish that were the case but there is no way.

Moore, Allen-Williams, Walton, The lb from Charlotte who's name eludes me and the freshman from RNE who played last season, his name also eludes me at the moment..Guess i'm having a brain cramp right now...

Also Eldridge Thompson out of JUCO is a legit 4.5 tackling machine...Brad Johnson is 6'4"230 and very fast...Devonne Dawkins might be the fastest Gamecock linebacker since James Seawright..Sherrod Greene is a 6'1"230 beast and ferocious tackler...They recruited a very fast very athletic crop of linebackers

IMHO we'll be better faster and deeper at LB than we were last season...But i confess to being a very optimistic fan

Walton is gone and skai is coming back after a career threatening injury. Hope he is back 100% but I cannot imagine that he will. We have Allen-Williams, skai, tj Brunson. After that we will be waiting on freshmen to come in. Deeper? Wish that were the case but there is no way.
I thought Walton was a junior? Where is Larentz Bryant? As for the freshmen, i prefer talent and inexperience over experience and too slow to make plays...Skai's injury was not career threatening...A neck injury is always serious...You just have to allow it the time to heal...He is cleared and full go...

I thought Walton was a junior? Where is Larentz Bryant? As for the freshmen, i prefer talent and inexperience over experience and too slow to make plays...Skai's injury was not career threatening...A neck injury is always serious...You just have to allow it the time to heal...He is cleared and full go...
Both Walton and Bryant were SRs last year.

Larenz Bryant was a graduate transfer at the end of last season, but I have not seen anything about where he will play his final season of eligibility.
It's true, we only have 3 scholarship LB's on the roster until the fall when we have a lot of talented Freshman coming in. I suspect some of the undersized DE might get a shot at LB.

That's why I was so surprised that Pittman left. Expected he would be a good LB for us for several years.

You Don't win in this league like this. Maybe there were no other lb interested in muschamp's first class but multiple guys should have been brought in. Find guys on our roster that can switch positions now. Do not wait. Look at fullbacks, tight ends, and defensive ends. In many cases, these guys played lb as well in high school. Going to be a struggle defensively again.

I mentioned this several times during recruiting season. I think they made it a priority position this year, however, they did not sign any eye-popping recruits who can come in right away and have a meaningful impact immediately. There were no Jasper Brinkleys or Eric Norwoods in this class. As is stands there are 3 LB positions to man and we only have 2 with meaningful experience including Skai Moore. The third position as well as all depth will have to come from guys who have little or no experience at all. This will be a problem this year. We did sign a few good recruits who hopefully will develop into good players, but I don't think it will help much for the upcoming season. We may have to play more 4-2-5 this year than the base 4-3.

Certainly can't play any 3-4. Reminds me of the Spurrier Jr method of roster management.

I mentioned this several times during recruiting season. I think they made it a priority position this year, however, they did not sign any eye-popping recruits who can come in right away and have a meaningful impact immediately. There were no Jasper Brinkleys or Eric Norwoods in this class. As is stands there are 3 LB positions to man and we only have 2 with meaningful experience including Skai Moore. The third position as well as all depth will have to come from guys who have little or no experience at all. This will be a problem this year. We did sign a few good recruits who hopefully will develop into good players, but I don't think it will help much for the upcoming season. We may have to play more 4-2-5 this year than the base 4-3.

Staley is going to play LB in college... he'll be a freshman.

He looked pretty good in shrine at OLB on the part of the game i watched

Has some pass rush ability as well, for Blitzing, for sure

A nose for the QB if you will.

Speaking of noses and QB's anyone ever see this classic Zach Mettenberger pick?

mettenbooger.gif

Last edited:
The linebacking crew for this past 2016 season was simply deplorable. T.J. Holloman was slower than a senior citizen. Jonathan Walton had more ups and downs than a rollercoaster. Bryson Allen-Williams was solid but not spectacular; should have been much better given his recruiting credentials. Larenz Bryant was a BUST of epic proportions. T.J. Brunson was too green to make any significant contributions. What this means is that all 4 recruited linebackers in the 2017 class will have to undergo a baptism of fire because we are so thin at this position. This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. A risk where the end results may be much greater than anticipated.

Reactions: Gradstudent
The linebacking crew for this past 2016 season was simply deplorable. T.J. Holloman was slower than a senior citizen. Jonathan Walton had more ups and downs than a rollercoaster. Bryson Allen-Williams was solid but not spectacular; should have been much better given his recruiting credentials. Larenz Bryant was a BUST of epic proportions. T.J. Brunson was too green to make any significant contributions. What this means is that all 4 recruited linebackers in the 2017 class will have to undergo a baptism of fire because we are so thin at this position. This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. A risk where the end results may be much greater than anticipated.

I agree, but I think Brunson will progress this year, he has better size then most Spurrier LB recruits, the other guys lost will be addition by subtraction as we separate ourselves from some awful recruiting classes, OL and LB will see improvement in 2017 due to some subtractions.

Reactions: IrmoRed
just realized that we only have 3 on scholarship. Not a good situation.

We are experienced but very thin. When we depend on incoming freshmen or new comers, we are in trouble in the SEC. LB and DB have issues, but are a little different. LB has great talent and experience but little depth. Safteys are deep with little exoerience, and talent is yet to be determined.

LB depth might need help by moving Brad Johnson or Fennell from DE.

We already lack a pass rush and strength on the dl but it is unavoidable. Have to move some folks. Don't even have a second team for spring practice unless you put walk Ons in the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT