ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watched “Paterno” on HBO yet?

JKC4USC

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2007
I’ve watched bits and pieces of it. Honestly, I start watching and then stop because the whole situation makes me want to vomit. I believe we’ll never know the entire scope of what happened, and everyone involved. How any PSU fan can defend, or gloss over it, is beyond me. I think Joe Pa (and others) knew some of what was going on and just chose to ignore it hoping it would go away. How PSU still has a football program is beyond me. I’ll never pull for them again.

What’s even sadder is: I went over to a PSU fan site (BlueandWhite) just to see if there was any reaction to the movie. There was a post about the Michigan State and Nassar situation, and there were some fans complaining about how the press raked Joe Pa and PSU over the coals nonstop, but weren’t really saying a whole lot about MSU. Well, douchebags, PSU should have been raked across the coals, and in my opinion PSU got off way too easy.

Was actually looking forward to watching it. Watched the whole thing. But the movie just drug along. Taxing and boring to watch. If portrayed honestly, got figure Paterno didn't know officially, but was highly suspect. But not sure he gave that much of a rip because he seemed to be more annoyed with being disturbed by it more than anything else. And just how many times could they show the paranoid AD, at differing times during his career drinking alone as he pondered his fate?

I've often wondered if Joe Pa committed suicide and it was covered up. Just a hunch but it would have been hard for him to see his legacy tarnished. I know he had health problems but they didn't keep him from coaching. I think he knew more than many are willing to admit.

Assuming it's an accurate portrayal, Paterno comes off as doddering, and while the PSU scandal is unfolding, his only concern is the upcoming game against Nebraska.
Depending on your point of view, either he's somewhat senile or indifferent to the scandal, and thinking it will just blow over.

I've become a cheapskate on tv packages, don't get hbo anymore. I wanted to see Paterno and the Andre the Giant doccumentery they did.

Joe Pa had blinders on. I do not think he got it.

Some of it was generational, some of it was a world that focused only on football, some misplaced loyalty to Sandusky, some trust that Curlew(sp?) and Spanier( in my eyes they are the true scumbags) had taken care of the situation. Factor that In with a reluctance to let anything harm the institution and its rep and voila nothing happens.

The sad thing is that institutions always protect the institution. Penn St, Michigan St, the Catholic Church, Enron, the list is just too long. It is always the little guy, the vulnerable, that get screwed financially and literally.

Last edited:
I’ve watched bits and pieces of it. Honestly, I start watching and then stop because the whole situation makes me want to vomit. I believe we’ll never know the entire scope of what happened, and everyone involved. How any PSU fan can defend, or gloss over it, is beyond me. I think Joe Pa (and others) knew some of what was going on and just chose to ignore it hoping it would go away. How PSU still has a football program is beyond me. I’ll never pull for them again.

i decided not to watch for similar reasons... I'd be ticked off for weeks... You wish these horrors wouldn't happen... But they do... This one is just too awful to watch

Paterno was also a pedophile. You will never convince me otherwise.

Many share your theory... There is no bleeping way he didn't know about Sandusky.. The question is why he ignored it... The prevailing theory is he loved PSU football too much to be rational.. So maybe he was insane and not a pedophile... I don't know... But your theory is plausible

Joe Pa had blinders on. I do not think he got it.

Some of it was generational, some of it was a world that focused only on football, some misplaced loyalty to Sandusky, some trust that Curlew(sp?) and Spanier( in my eyes they are the true scumbags) had taken care of the situation. Factor that In with a reluctance to let anything harm the institution and its rep and voila nothing happens.

The sad thing is that institutions always protect the institution. Penn St, Michigan St, the Catholic Church, Enron, the list is just to long. It is always the little guy, the vulnerable, that get screwed financially and literally.

I think this is a fair overall assessment, but I would add that Joe Pa's strangle hold on power is the reason PSU has an incompetent DA in the first place. Paterno was the AD and hand picked Curley, a flunkey who had never worked outside PSU, as his successor. He never had it in him to challenge Paterno. It would be like a Branch Davidian challenging David Koresh. Penn State football really was like a cult.

Reactions: winloseortie
No, I haven't seen it yet but I tried to find the Documentary by searching "On Demand" but it was no longer listed. I would love to see the special. Was it factual?

Paterno was also a pedophile. You will never convince me otherwise.

Not disputing you. I totally agree that he was culpable to some degree. But I'm just curious as to what you mean by this charge.

Do you mean he was a pedophile by his association with Sandusky? Or are saying Paterno himself was one all along?

Not disputing you. I totally agree that he was culpable to some degree. But I'm just curious as to what you mean by this charge.

Do you mean he was a pedophile by his association with Sandusky? Or are saying Paterno himself was one all along?
I think they were both pedophiles all along.

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167

I get the impression she is saying he sympathized with one of his kind.. I don't think she is outright calling him a molester like Sandusky... But his proclivities led him to shield a monster

Allow me to add that clinical studies show many pedophiles never act on their sick impulses... Many never touch a child inappropriately... Yet they know they are sick

Joe Pa reminded me of a senile Lou Holtz, and all he cared about was the next game. He just closed his eyes and ears after what ...20 years of it ! Glad they took his statue down ! Complicit !

I get the impression she is saying he sympathized with one of his kind.. I don't think she is outright calling him a molester like Sandusky... But his proclivities led him to shield a monster

Allow me to add that clinical studies show many pedophiles never act on their sick impulses... Many never touch a child inappropriately... Yet they know they are sick

If so, I just don't see it. While I do think he was at least complicit as well as culpable, I think he was just being willfully blind and was hoping it would all go away. Maybe it was a generational thing, but it's no excuse. How many other children were hurt during the time he kept quiet?

Reactions: winloseortie
Joe Pa reminded me of a senile Lou Holtz, and all he cared about was the next game. He just closed his eyes and ears after what ...20 years of it ! Glad they took his statue down ! Complicit !
If the NCAA had any morality Penn State football should have gotten the death penalty. I know the whole towns evonomy is based on it but it irks me that they are doing well and people have already forgotten

If the NCAA had any morality Penn State football should have gotten the death penalty. I know the whole towns evonomy is based on it but it irks me that they are doing well and people have already forgotten

The NCAA tried to give them severe penalties and the courts said that was not allowed. The court made the NCAA pay back all of the fines that were imposed, over $50 million dollars with interest, the court reinstated all of the wins the NCAA had said were forfeited, reinstated all of the scholarships the NCAA had restricted, and dissolved all of the bowls bans, TV bans etc that the NCAA imposed. Are you not aware of this? Blame the courts morality if you want, but the NCAA had no power to do what you desired.

I liked how at the end, (SPOILER ALERT --if that's even possible) they showed where the writer that broke the story got a call from a guy saying he told Paterno about being molested in 1976 (or '78). So it didn't just start in the 2000s.

For some reason, this is often glossed over. Especially by those that still want to rationalize and minimize his role in all this.

The NCAA tried to give them severe penalties and the courts said that was not allowed. The court made the NCAA pay back all of the fines that were imposed, over $50 million dollars with interest, the court reinstated all of the wins the NCAA had said were forfeited, reinstated all of the scholarships the NCAA had restricted, and dissolved all of the bowls bans, TV bans etc that the NCAA imposed. Are you not aware of this? Blame the courts morality if you want, but the NCAA had no power to do what you desired.
The unwelcome (to some) voice of reason, perspective, and factuality is heard from again.

It's amazing how quickly Penn State recovered and it's even more amazing that they are able to recruit as well as they do.

It's amazing how quickly Penn State recovered and it's even more amazing that they are able to recruit as well as they do.
Well, like a previous poster said, the courts basically told the NCAA to stick all the imposed PSU penalties where the sun don’t shine. So, in the end there was nothing PSU had to recover from program-wise.

I've often wondered if Joe Pa committed suicide and it was covered up. Just a hunch but it would have been hard for him to see his legacy tarnished. I know he had health problems but they didn't keep him from coaching. I think he knew more than many are willing to admit.

I have often wondered the same thing.

Reactions: GarnetGhost
Speaking of theories and Penn State

I recently saw the reports that the Mike McQuery had a big time gambling problem debts in college and many allegations now that he was betting on games even when a backup, apparently the 1995 Rutgers Penn State game now makes sense

Penn State was favored by 20 by Vegas and McQuery then back up came in with less then 2 minutes up by 18 to run the time out and audibled and threw a bomb so PSU won by 25 LOL

The Rutgers Coach and Joe Paterno got into it after the game

Last edited:
I recently saw the reports that the Mike McQuery had a big time gambling problem debts in college and many allegations now that he was betting on games even when a backup, apparently the 1995 Rutgers Penn State game now makes sense

Penn State was favored by 20 by Vegas and McQuery then back up came in with less then 2 minutes up by 18 to run the time out and audibled and threw a bomb so PSU won by 25 LOL

The Rutgers Coach and Joe Paterno got into it after the game

Graber is lucky to have not been sodomized after the game.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Well, like a previous poster said, the courts basically told the NCAA to stick all the imposed PSU penalties where the sun don’t shine. So, in the end there was nothing PSU had to recover from program-wise.
They lost a lot of numbers due to scholarship reductions - were banned from postseason play and became radioactive to recruits and their parents in the immediate aftermath, so there was a meaningful impact for awhile - only, in the end, not a financial one in terms of fines and not for the length of time that the NCAA had envisaged. Basically, you're looking at a little over two years of damage.

They lost a lot of numbers due to scholarship reductions - were banned from postseason play and became radioactive to recruits and their parents in the immediate aftermath, so there was a meaningful impact for awhile - only, in the end, not a financial one in terms of fines and not for the length of time that the NCAA had envisaged. Basically, you're looking at a little over two years of damage.

Even though they didn't have to pay the fines, they've still have taken a huge financial hit over Sandusky's crimes (as they should).

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2017/11/13/470977.htm

Last year’s payments mean Penn State’s overall Sandusky-related costs now exceed a quarter-billion dollars.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT