ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watched “Paterno” on HBO yet?

Do the Paterno's still own the house that Jo pa lived in forever?

joe-paterno-house-1321473796.jpg

My father and sister went to Penn State and I certainly don't "gloss over it." It may be the worst scandal in college football history. It's awful and I hate that it happened at a place that was trying to be a model of integrity, but it did.

My only rebuttal is that they cleaned house, as they should:
  • Sandusky is in jail and will die there
  • The President, VP, and AD were all fired and criminally prosecuted
  • Paterno was fired and died shortly thereafter
  • The Second Mile Foundation was shut down
  • They paid hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements to the victims
  • The entire coaching staff was let-go, even though most of them had no role in it whatsoever
  • Players were allowed to transfer anywhere immediately and dozens of schools came in and poached their roster
  • The program was hit with scholarship reductions and post-season bans
  • They will live with the stigma of the scandal for decades
And all of that happened because PSU hired a former FBI director to investigate and get to the bottom of the story, and because they signed a "Consent Decree" allowing the NCAA to issue sanctions on a criminal matter that was technically out of their jurisdiction.

You think we'll see anything like that from Michigan State? How about all the other programs who have had rapes and assaults swept under the rug or victims who were just paid-off to go away quietly?

To be clear, there's no excuse for what happened. If anything, there are probably a lot more people who saw or suspected something over the years who did nothing yet escaped blame. Just saying that once it came to light, the BOT totally cleaned house to an extent we've never seen before rather than lawyering-up and just defending themselves at all costs like most other programs.

Yes, I agree. I thought the administration did an outstanding job in the aftermath. They basically laid down without a fight. It was absolutely the right move because it got the scandal behind them as soon as possible.

Penn State is essentially pass this scandal in the general public's eyes. The only potential further damage is from within the Penn State community itself. The admin took a lot of heat from the Joebot cultists who were ready to burn down the university, if necessary, to protect the legacy of Joe Pa. Hopefully with the success Franklin is having, the Paterno diehards will let it go and move on.

Several more decades will have to pass before a balanced and accurate assessment of this affair will be possible. Personal biases and the emotional component won't allow for a dispassionate finding anytime soon. There is more research and writing to be done. In that regard, it resembles the Kennedy assassination.

The NCAA tried to give them severe penalties and the courts said that was not allowed. The court made the NCAA pay back all of the fines that were imposed, over $50 million dollars with interest, the court reinstated all of the wins the NCAA had said were forfeited, reinstated all of the scholarships the NCAA had restricted, and dissolved all of the bowls bans, TV bans etc that the NCAA imposed. Are you not aware of this? Blame the courts morality if you want, but the NCAA had no power to do what you desired.
I was unaware, thank you. I guess the image of an older man having a boy in the shower should have been enough, at least for me. So basically PSU says, see we can even be associated with a child rape organization and not only get away with it, but thrive.

Paterno was told about Sandusky in 2002, the grand jury was assembled in 2009. Did the documentary explain what was going on in those 7 years ?

My father and sister went to Penn State and I certainly don't "gloss over it." It may be the worst scandal in college football history. It's awful and I hate that it happened at a place that was trying to be a model of integrity, but it did.

My only rebuttal is that they cleaned house, as they should:
  • Sandusky is in jail and will die there
  • The President, VP, and AD were all fired and criminally prosecuted
  • Paterno was fired and died shortly thereafter
  • The Second Mile Foundation was shut down
  • They paid hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements to the victims
  • The entire coaching staff was let-go, even though most of them had no role in it whatsoever
  • Players were allowed to transfer anywhere immediately and dozens of schools came in and poached their roster
  • The program was hit with scholarship reductions and post-season bans
  • They will live with the stigma of the scandal for decades
And all of that happened because PSU hired a former FBI director to investigate and get to the bottom of the story, and because they signed a "Consent Decree" allowing the NCAA to issue sanctions on a criminal matter that was technically out of their jurisdiction.

You think we'll see anything like that from Michigan State? How about all the other programs who have had rapes and assaults swept under the rug or victims who were just paid-off to go away quietly?

To be clear, there's no excuse for what happened. If anything, there are probably a lot more people who saw or suspected something over the years who did nothing yet escaped blame. Just saying that once it came to light, the BOT totally cleaned house to an extent we've never seen before rather than lawyering-up and just defending themselves at all costs like most other programs.

All that is fair counterpoint. I think most of us are not just upset by the original events, but also upset by some, probably a minority, of Penn State supporters still in denial about the heinous of the events. Here is an example:.

"More than 200 former Pennsylvania State University football players sent a letter to the board of trustees and President Eric Barron on Tuesday asking that the large bronze statue of their beloved coach, Joe Paterno, be returned to campus.

“We have been told during the last four-plus years that the board and administration are waiting for the appropriate time to repair the damage they created,” said Brian Masella, former tight end and punter for the Nittany Lions and a 1975 alumnus. “Now is the appropriate time. Enough is enough!”

The university removed the statue from outside Beaver Stadium in 2012 after former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was convicted of child sexual abuse and a university-commissioned investigative report accused former leaders of Penn State, including Paterno, of covering up the abuse. Supporters of the Paterno family, including some trustees, have urged the university to honor Paterno, who died of lung cancer in 2012 and was never charged.

The lettermen, who span the decades that Paterno led the team, also are seeking an apology for Paterno’s wife, Sue, and the restoration of the Player’s Wall — plaques that surrounded the statue and honored former players. The statue remains in an undisclosed location.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...o-statue-back-up-former-PSU-players-urge.html

Actually, former players showing loyality doesn't bother me.

Think about it

His legacy is tarnished so is their's in a way given they played for him and tied self value to him, through the years.

How many people played for Joe PA in 46 years and what is the percent that 200 encompasses, would be interesting to know

Now if the school put the statue back, that would not be right

You're entitled to your opinion, but I must say, that is quite a reach.

What he said...could you really call that an opinion... i think we never landed on the moon...is that also a opinion... makes about the same since as his "opinion"...
.......i respect opinions that have some shred of possible truth or evidence

Last edited:
You do understand the difference between fiction and a documentary, right? And you do know that the MAKERS of the film characterize it as fiction, right? You are also aware that the DA made mention of the fact that Paterno did everything correctly with regard to the report he received, right? You most certainly also realize that the recent NCAA guidelines for how to treat such a report detail exactly what Paterno did in this case, right? That is: report it up the chain and step back so as not to interfere with the investigation. You also realize that the phone call that ended the movie never happened, right? Nobody says it did, including Sarah Ganim. (She is the reporter who received the call in the movie)

I think the film has taken a tragic situation and turned it into a piece of fiction that will get viewers, but ultimately skew the truth of what actually happened. You obviously have an opinion, no matter how ill-informed. Bless your heart. I have no dog in this fight personally and have a lot of criticisms for everyone at PSU, but you are basking blissfully in a pile of ignorance that is truly astounding.

a poster that makes sense about an idiotic post..thanks

What he said...could you really call that an opinion... i think we never landed on the moon...is that also a opinion... makes about the same since as his "opinion"...
.......i respect opinions that have some shred of possible truth or evidence
Not a he..., second time this has been pointed out to you. Nearly 18 years and nearly 18,000 likes later, it's pretty clear what my position is on this board(s).

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Umm, ok. But you said "to Penn State". I'm glad you set the record straight.

Penn State is a state school. All its funds belong to the state. My understanding is the original payments were made from the university's state appropriation account. So the state required the funds be returned to the state.

What did SMU get the death penalty over? At least the ncaa is consistent

The NCAA gave the death penalty to SMU for massive violations of NCAA rules, large direct payments to players clearly documented. Penn State did not violate any NCAA rules. It violated a lot of other things, criminal and penal codes, federal educational rules, etc. But not NCAA rules.

Not a he..., second time this has been pointed out to you. Nearly 18 years and nearly 18,000 likes later, it's pretty clear what my position is on this board(s).

.. after 18 years you're still making a stupid statement without a shred of evidence

.. after 18 years you're still making a stupid statement without a shred of evidence
LOL...whenever you disagree with someone you always resort to name calling. It doesn't say much for your credibility.

LOL...whenever you disagree with someone you always resort to name calling. It doesn't say much for your credibility.

you have no shred of evidence... you make an off the wall statement with no proof.. you should be called out about it.. just like the other poster did

Penn State is a state school. All its funds belong to the state. My understanding is the original payments were made from the university's state appropriation account. So the state required the funds be returned to the state.

No. The money is coming from Penn State.

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/sports/ncaa-slams-penn-state-fines-it-60-million/

Penn State said it will pay the fine in five annual installments of $12 million. The governor demanded assurances from Penn State that taxpayer money will not be used to pay the fine; Penn State said it will cover it with its athletics reserve fund and capital maintenance budget and, if necessary, borrow money.

Do you really think Pitt and Villanova fans would have been Ok with taxpayer money being used to pay PSU's fine?

No. The money is coming from Penn State.

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/sports/ncaa-slams-penn-state-fines-it-60-million/

Penn State said it will pay the fine in five annual installments of $12 million. The governor demanded assurances from Penn State that taxpayer money will not be used to pay the fine; Penn State said it will cover it with its athletics reserve fund and capital maintenance budget and, if necessary, borrow money.

Do you really think Pitt and Villanova fans would have been Ok with taxpayer money being used to pay PSU's fine?

All Penn State money is state of Pennsylvania money. It may not be money derived from taxes, but it is all state money.

Where did they get that "right"? Numerous criminal laws were broken, but that isn't the NCAA's jurisdiction. The NCAA polices NCAA rules and no NCAA rules were broken. Don't say institutional control, because that is very clearly only applicable to repeated violations of NCAA rules.

Yeah..yeah....sure....the law is a good way to nail the small guy and a ready made excuse to exonerate the powerful. I tell you what if the NCAA does not have something in that big book of rules to punish a pedophile ring run by associates of a school using school facilities.....then they should just quit and we all should just recognize that the law is a worthless waste of time.

So let me ask you this....if this was someone that EVERYONE hated do you not think they would have found a way to pressure compliance? Of course they would have...there are a million ways to go after someone with the law/rules. You telling me they could not find a Winfrey Motel or someone getting a cupcake somewhere? Bullshit!

You do understand the difference between fiction and a documentary, right? And you do know that the MAKERS of the film characterize it as fiction, right? You are also aware that the DA made mention of the fact that Paterno did everything correctly with regard to the report he received, right? You most certainly also realize that the recent NCAA guidelines for how to treat such a report detail exactly what Paterno did in this case, right? That is: report it up the chain and step back so as not to interfere with the investigation. You also realize that the phone call that ended the movie never happened, right? Nobody says it did, including Sarah Ganim. (She is the reporter who received the call in the movie)

I think the film has taken a tragic situation and turned it into a piece of fiction that will get viewers, but ultimately skew the truth of what actually happened. You obviously have an opinion, no matter how ill-informed. Bless your heart. I have no dog in this fight personally and have a lot of criticisms for everyone at PSU, but you are basking blissfully in a pile of ignorance that is truly astounding.

I represented one of the victims of Sandusky’s abuse and have reviewed the police interviews and statements of witnesses and taken a number of depositions. If you think Paterno did the right thing, you don’t really understand the story. He along with many other people were enablers of this abuse and were aware for long time that Sandusky had an unhealthy and inappropriate relationship with young men entrusted to his care. They chose to look the other way until they were forced to acknowledge it later in life. Joe was no hero here.

I represented one of the victims of Sandusky’s abuse and have reviewed the police interviews and statements of witnesses and taken a number of depositions. If you think Paterno did the right thing, you don’t really understand the story. He along with many other people were enablers of this abuse and were aware for long time that Sandusky had an unhealthy and inappropriate relationship with young men entrusted to his care. They chose to look the other way until they were forced to acknowledge it later in life. Joe was no hero here.

Based on the facts presented in the case, I have no reason to doubt that Paterno is culpable in the cover up of this crime, by ignoring the acts of a coach, however as one poster said "Paterno was also a pedophile"...that statement is irresponsible, with no proof whatsoever

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Based on the facts presented in the case, I have no reason to doubt that Paterno is culpable in the cover up of this crime, by ignoring the acts of a coach, however as one poster said "Paterno was also a pedophile"...that statement is irresponsible, with no proof whatsoever
I could not possibly agree more, with all aspects of what you said. You don't call anyone a pedophile, or even insinuate that, unless you absolutely have the goods on that person.

Last edited:
I watched the movie the other night. To sum it up the movie makes Paterno seem like a dottering old fool that can't wind his butt or scratch his watch, but when he's around the players he seems competent. Movie also makes out that everyone thinks Jay is a crappy coach, that I can believe to be accurate.

Yeah..yeah....sure....the law is a good way to nail the small guy and a ready made excuse to exonerate the powerful. I tell you what if the NCAA does not have something in that big book of rules to punish a pedophile ring run by associates of a school using school facilities.....then they should just quit and we all should just recognize that the law is a worthless waste of time.

So let me ask you this....if this was someone that EVERYONE hated do you not think they would have found a way to pressure compliance? Of course they would have...there are a million ways to go after someone with the law/rules. You telling me they could not find a Winfrey Motel or someone getting a cupcake somewhere? Bullshit!

The NCAA does not have rules to punish people for violations of criminal laws. It just isn't their place to do that. It is the criminal justice system's place. The NCAA tried to punish Penn State for Sandusky's conduct and Penn State's complicity in it and Penn State tried to accept the NCAA punishments leveled, it was the courts and the state legislature of Pennsylvania that would not allow that to happen.

Reactions: king ward

It's so a joke about "this how nothing do with football." Of course it did. It had everything to do with football. Why were the allegations covered up in the first place? In 1998, it might have hurt PSU's recruiting just a tad bit if the word got out that the defensive coordinator was accused of SEXUALLY MOLESTING A CHILD. In 2001, Sandusky was no longer DC, but the mere allegation of the former DC raping a child in the PSU football shower would have ended Paterno's career, especially when the 98 allegation would eventually surface in the aftermath.

As someone who followed this case closely, I could go on about how "Paterno was no hero." I suspect he double crossed the former DA, Ray Gricar. Sandusky was supposed to get help after he was mysteriously not prosecuted in 98, despite the investigating officer's recommendation to prosecute. That was the deal -- no charges, but get help. Paterno just blew it off. Sandusky carried on as before. My theory is Gricar learned of Sandusky further crimes in 2005 and split because he realized that he was going to be left holding the bag for dropping the charges in 98. Paterno used Gricar, Fran Ganter (a long time assistant), Curley, Schultz as buffers. Joe Pa would have made a great mafia don.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT