ADVERTISEMENT

AP Top 25 historical bias

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Ill be the first to say USC isn’t a top 25 team. And honestly I think it’s better for the team they are not ranked at this time. But a quick look at the poll shows the usual suspects. You can be 5-2 and be in the poll... if you’re Auburn. Or a handful of other similar schools. Exactly WHO has Auburn beat at this point? I’d argue USC has a better win at this point. Better win than LSU also. And I know it’s because these teams were ranked high to begin the year. But at the end of the year there will be a team or two with three losses in the poll. But it’ll be an FSU or LSU type team.

Agree that history prob factors in sometimes but we would be at least a 7 point dog if we were playing Auburn this week.

Ill be the first to say USC isn’t a top 25 team. And honestly I think it’s better for the team they are not ranked at this time. But a quick look at the poll shows the usual suspects. You can be 5-2 and be in the poll... if you’re Auburn. Or a handful of other similar schools. Exactly WHO has Auburn beat at this point? I’d argue USC has a better win at this point. Better win than LSU also. And I know it’s because these teams were ranked high to begin the year. But at the end of the year there will be a team or two with three losses in the poll. But it’ll be an FSU or LSU type team.
Their are a few programs that earn their rankings based on history of their program...like Notre Dame

Reactions: king ward
It's annoying when it goes against you but to be honest it's one of the fun parts about following the sport...what you do one year affects another. Pretty much no other sport can say that except soccer where they have relegation and promotion. To me it's like following a tv show with multiple interconnected storylines across seasons

The polls have always leaned, and always will, to giving the traditional national programs more weight. Look at the one loss teams as well. Oh, and FL St is still getting votes despite being 2-3.

The polls have always leaned, and always will, to giving the traditional national programs more weight. Look at the one loss teams as well. Oh, and FL St is still getting votes despite being 2-3.
Clemson is an exception to your statement, not a traditional national program. They were pampered and hyped strongly last year and this pre season. Became the darlings of the national media. Comparing Clemson to Alabama on a daily basis.

When the Clemson bubble breaks, the whole state will need to anchor itself down. If they lose to NCS they will be out of the playoffs and you will be able to hear the crying all the way to Tuscaloosa

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT