ADVERTISEMENT

Are Harris and Fenwick better than last years rbs

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
They seem to be performing better than feaster and dowdle did. Are they better or do they want it more? Dowdle seemed to get hurt easy and feaster never really showed much but these two guys run hard and fall forward. They also don’t get up and tap their helmet to come out. They are also young so be room is about to be extremely talented when Lloyd plays next year with these two.

They seem to be performing better than feaster and dowdle did. Are they better or do they want it more? Dowdle seemed to get hurt easy and feaster never really showed much but these two guys run hard and fall forward. They also don’t get up and tap their helmet to come out. They are also young so be room is about to be extremely talented when Lloyd plays next year with these two.

I say they are better this year because of Bobo...

I rewatched the game and the O line while better this year are not great. Bobo's dedication to the run also helps. The biggest difference is that both Harris and Fenwick actually break tackles on a consistent basis and both fall forward. Harris is the best back we have had at making 3 yards out of nothing since Lattimore. This position group is without question the best surprise this year.

Better? I think they are, they sure seem to run harder this year. Granted we haven't played a top tier running defense, and we have run for the least yards against that our opponents allowed minus Auburn. I guess we will see the real progress against Georgia and Texas A&m.

If we had another playmaker at wr/te, would help with the numbers in the box that we will eventually see. It's going to be hard to beat a good team like Georgia with 1 good wideout.

I say they are better this year because of Bobo...
When plays are well designed, they work better. When they're well executed they work better. It's hard to argue that drilling good fundamentals like blocking and finding your cuts, etc are instilled at the base level and create a foundation for better play overall.

I’m sorry, but I hate the “gets hurt easily” thoughts about Dowdle. Heck, I’ve even heard that said about Lattimore after two blown knees. Injuries are a part of this brutal game - and the perception of “toughness” could be as simple as dealing with one nagging injury that won’t heal under the brutality of a season, or simply by the location of an injury being the difference between playing on and being unable to play. Anyway, I know the OP was not saying it disrespectfully, but that’s one of my triggers.

As far as talent this year? I think Harris is indeed a step up. He reminds me of Mike Davis, who was a really good back that had the misfortune of following in Lattimore’s footsteps. They seem to be similarly sized, with very good speed and instincts. And I think Bobo helps too because it’s not the same run play over and over...and over again.

When plays are well designed, they work better. When they're well executed they work better. It's hard to argue that drilling good fundamentals like blocking and finding your cuts, etc are instilled at the base level and create a foundation for better play overall.
I think this is correct. Better schemes, better planning, better coaching and probably better players. I haven't seen Harris look like anyone has hurt him in 4 games. He gets up after every play. Last year it seemed like our backs didn't want to be there.

Would love to have one more option at WR to make this run game really work.Someone on talk radio said that Harris didn’t have great top end speed,but for two weeks he has run away from the secondary on 70+yd runs.Although the run Saturday was called back.

I say no. But Harris got 25 carries on Saturday. I think if we gave Feaster a bunch of carries last year instead of spreading them out he would’ve had a big year. Dowdle probably would’ve as well.

I’m sorry, but I hate the “gets hurt easily” thoughts about Dowdle. Heck, I’ve even heard that said about Lattimore after two blown knees. Injuries are a part of this brutal game - and the perception of “toughness” could be as simple as dealing with one nagging injury that won’t heal under the brutality of a season, or simply by the location of an injury being the difference between playing on and being unable to play. Anyway, I know the OP was not saying it disrespectfully, but that’s one of my triggers.

As far as talent this year? I think Harris is indeed a step up. He reminds me of Mike Davis, who was a really good back that had the misfortune of following in Lattimore’s footsteps. They seem to be similarly sized, with very good speed and instincts. And I think Bobo helps too because it’s not the same run play over and over...and over again.
Davis frequently tried to juke an opposing tackler while Harris just knocks the $h%t out of them. I prefer the latter.

I don’t think you can point to just one thing... Are Harris and Fenwick “better”? Better than they were as freshmen= yes! Were they better last year than the guys in front of them? Mehh probably not... Neither was much of a step down when they came in but Dowdle and Feaster were good RBs when healthy and showed it when they had even tolerable blocking.

They are MOST CERTAINLY running in a better scheme!! Bobo sticks with the run and understands some of the 1-2 yard gains from the first quarter will evolve into long runs in the second half if you STICK with the run and wear the D down! Also, he makes adjustments as the game goes on, so he can see us run a play, it gets blown up, identify why, pass on to the players a minor change to avoid it the next time, run it again- bam! Explosive play. Did it with the Joyner reverse Saturday!

We absolutely have better blocking- ESPECIALLY with the addition of Turentine! That boy came in for his first start this past week and may be the best OL we have! Guards are pulling out and blocking downfield well on outside reads...

Is the RUN GAME better? Absolutely! It is a combination of reasons why though IMO.

Harris is still a stud no matter who you spread credit around to though. He may be the most improved individual on the team! He got bigger, stronger and faster over the offseason and we see the returns!

I think body types help this year. Both Harris and Fenwick are strong bigger dudes who run at good pad level and hard all the way. They also wait for holes to open up.

I don’t think you can point to just one thing... Are Harris and Fenwick “better”? Better than they were as freshmen= yes! Were they better last year than the guys in front of them? Mehh probably not... Neither was much of a step down when they came in but Dowdle and Feaster were good RBs when healthy and showed it when they had even tolerable blocking.

They are MOST CERTAINLY running in a better scheme!! Bobo sticks with the run and understands some of the 1-2 yard gains from the first quarter will evolve into long runs in the second half if you STICK with the run and wear the D down! Also, he makes adjustments as the game goes on, so he can see us run a play, it gets blown up, identify why, pass on to the players a minor change to avoid it the next time, run it again- bam! Explosive play. Did it with the Joyner reverse Saturday!

We absolutely have better blocking- ESPECIALLY with the addition of Turentine! That boy came in for his first start this past week and may be the best OL we have! Guards are pulling out and blocking downfield well on outside reads...

Is the RUN GAME better? Absolutely! It is a combination of reasons why though IMO.

Harris is still a stud no matter who you spread credit around to though. He may be the most improved individual on the team! He got bigger, stronger and faster over the offseason and we see the returns!
Very well put!

Reactions: SCexpat38
No there not better, the scheme is better. Getting in the I is gonna make your RBs look better. We've ran more I and 2 TE sets this season, our FB blocking has been good. Our TEs may be the most improved unit on feild. Their blocking has been night and day from last year. Offensive Line has run blocked pretty good so far this season. Bobo has completely turned this offense around. I wouldn't happy about the hire, so far I've been eating a plate crow all season.

Reactions: 92Pony
Yes, if you watch Harris he will show you the best qualities of a great back. Patients and vision. He's got both in spades.. Instead of running into the backs of lineman, he patiently waits on plays to develop. Fenwick is similar but not as explosive. Our backs last year had bad vision and didn't wait for plays to develop a lot of times.

Yes, if you watch Harris he will show you the best qualities of a great back. Patients and vision. He's got both in spades.. Instead of running into the backs of lineman, he patiently waits on plays to develop. Fenwick is similar but not as explosive. Our backs last year had bad vision and didn't wait for plays to develop a lot of times.

Can be very hard to coach that, natural ability.

Reactions: Expro19
Harris has patience and runs like a bull.

Fenwick is fast and a hard runner.

They both run north and south.

Go Cocks!

They were the best last year too.
This is the correct answer. Harris got hurt or would have likely been in the mix. Fenwick, when given the opportunity, was usually better than the other two.

This year, both, as number 1 and 2, are better than our 1 and 2 of last year.

Reactions: jimnasium
Yes, they are an upgrade over the last few years. Harris is the best back we've had since Mike Davis. He might be better, but Davis didn't miss significant playing time due to injury. On the other hand, Davis took himself out every time he got rolling downhill. And it appears Harris has some breakaway speed. He delivers the hits and doesn't tire easily. He wants the ball.

Last edited:

I agree with your point that we don't really know what these guys are going through physically so it's not necessarily fair to label them. However, that said, I do think there's something to the idea that durability is an important skill for a running back, whether it's just pure strength, or being savvy about how to avoid the big hit, knowing when to go down, etc.

I'm reminded of Emmitt Smith, who seemed to have an uncanny ability to almost never get blown up, and (perhaps) as a result was consistently healthy over a long career. Sure, some of these injuries are just bad luck that couldn't be avoided, but like a stuntman learning to take a fall, there seem to be things that backs can do to minimize their chances of injury.

I think they are better. Alot of it seems to be that they both have waited patiently, mainly behind Dowdle, and are now taking advantage of their opportunity.

Fedwick said early on that he really like this new system under Bobo. He seemed to feel that it was a better fit for him. I would say that for Harris as well. Next year with Lloyd, wow!

Reactions: vacock#
Productivity-wise, Harris/Fenwick is about the same as Feaster/Dowdle. It's 5.25 ypc vs 5.05 ypc. Have to consider that last year's numbers were also with a grossly underperforming OL.

To the naked eye, Harris/Fenwick appear to be considerably better, but I think that largely boils down to offensive scheme and how they are being used.

Rico is 3rd string for the Cowboys. Maybe that's a clue?

Bobo has completely turned this offense around. I wouldn't happy about the hire, so far I've been eating a plate crow all season.
Sounds promising....but why did it take Muschamp so long to get this? Great asst coaches and great recruiting are the main drivers of why the taters are killing it.

Would love to have one more option at WR to make this run game really work.Someone on talk radio said that Harris didn’t have great top end speed,but for two weeks he has run away from the secondary on 70+yd runs.Although the run Saturday was called back.
Maybe the light will come on for Powers, Vann, Joyner, Legette or Mullins. A Brian Edwards/Alshon Jeffery type guy would be perfect for this offense right now. All of them have caught a few passes, but none has shown brilliance like Shi. Of that group Powers (true freshman) Legette might have the most upside.

Anyone heard anything about Wyman or Caldwell?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT