ADVERTISEMENT

Are Harris and Fenwick better than last years rbs

The QB play was so awful last year it's difficult to judge the other players. I understand the kid was injured and a freshman, so I'm not knocking him. I just want to be fair to last year's running backs.

Better? I think they are, they sure seem to run harder this year. Granted we haven't played a top tier running defense, and we have run for the least yards against that our opponents allowed minus Auburn. I guess we will see the real progress against Georgia and Texas A&m.

If we had another playmaker at wr/te, would help with the numbers in the box that we will eventually see. It's going to be hard to beat a good team like Georgia with 1 good wideout.
This can't be stated enough. I hope the offensive staff is working on something now. We've gotten by with a little bit of smoke and mirrors with run game so far regarding this. We need Dak or someone to start getting more chances, and develop into a threat. Would love to see him get 2 quick reverses per game, and a couple 5 yard hitches (still routes) in space.

Rico is 3rd string for the Cowboys. Maybe that's a clue?

Sounds promising....but why did it take Muschamp so long to get this? Great asst coaches and great recruiting are the main drivers of why the taters are killing it.
Clue to what he's a NFL running back?
Probably took so long because Bobo was the HC Colorado state.

Reactions: vacock#
Dowdle went down if you looked at him mean, and then wanted to come out. That “quality” is what had Spurrier so disgusted about David Williams in the post-LSU presser his last game; he resigned the next day.

Harris and Fenwick run with purpose. No comparison.

Productivity-wise, Harris/Fenwick is not much different than Dowdle/Feaster. Right around 5 ypc. The problem last year was scheme. There was no rhyme or reason to the offense. On top of that, the OL was horrendously porous but is MUCH improved this year. You could argue the RBs last year performed better under worse circumstances.

That said, there were 5 games last year where we failed to crack 100 yards rushing. That's obviously a recipe for disaster with a true freshman QB under center and little to no help from the RB position. With some stable RB production this year, the offense is much more balanced and effective.

But, again, it's hard to say with last year's team b/c the offensive strategy was non-existent. Just when it looked like the run game was working, they'd abandon it. Bobo has stuck with it this year.

All that said, just going by the eye test, Harris appears to be quite a step up from what we had last year.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I think it comes down to scheme, execution, and the willingness to stick to the run. From a talent standpoint, I think Dowdle and Feaster were more talented although not quite as physical as Harris and Fenwick. It's really a shame that we couldn't have gotten Bobo when we first needed an OC. BMac just wasn't ready for the position.

Reactions: BeCocky77
I think it comes down to scheme, execution, and the willingness to stick to the run. From a talent standpoint, I think Dowdle and Feaster were more talented although not quite as physical as Harris and Fenwick. It's really a shame that we couldn't have gotten Bobo when we first needed an OC. BMac just wasn't ready for the position.

Yes, you really have to throw last year's offense out the window totally. I liked BMac, he just didn't know what he was doing. With a competent OC we would have gotten to 6 wins last year.

IMHO, compared to last year both Harris and Fenwick are more physical. They both are more North-South runners than last years guys, they seem to have a little better vision allowing them to let a hole develop and hit it quickly instead of dancing around. That split second or two makes all the difference.

A clue that maybe he was better than his results at USC. And why might that be?

Could be anything, I think you’re reading too much between the lines. Some guys do better and stay healthier when their focus is 100% on football instead of mixing in classes. Training facilities are better, teammates are better, offenses are different.

Fans couldn’t run David Williams out of town fast enough. At the time my opinion was he’d fit better in a different offense, and thought he’d do pretty good at Arkansas. Sure enough, he did good enough to make a NFL roster.

Could be anything, I think you’re reading too much between the lines.
Not really. I'm just responding to the concept that the RBs we have this year are better than those from last year.
In all fairness to Rico and the rest, what could they have done with our current offense?

Whether Bobo is the second coming or not,... He’s still the best OC Mushchamp has ever had. He’s doing what any good OC would do, exploit weakness, find mismatches, establish the run but mix it up. Credit to the players for buying in, committing And they are better players for it. But, I think Dowdle and Feaster had more raw ( wasted ) talent.

I felt a certain kind way with Deebo early in his career... I feel the same about Harris

Not really. I'm just responding to the concept that the RBs we have this year are better than those from last year.
In all fairness to Rico and the rest, what could they have done with our current offense?

Last years RB’s certainly had talent.

Could they have made the same plays this year’s RB’s have made?

Some plays yes, some plays no. IMHO this year’s RB’s have a slightly different skill set than last years.

Doesn’t mean last year’s guys were bad, just that this year’s guys are maybe improved in some ways.

Reading your posts you seem to be beating around the bush blaming our staff for whatever shortcomings last year’s RB’s had.

Reading your posts you seem to be beating around the bush blaming our staff for whatever shortcomings last year’s RB’s had.
I'm not blaming anyone and I don't "beat around the bush". I personally haven't watched enough FB to make any kind of judgement.
But if our RBs are doing better because of coaches, then it's coaching. That's not beating around any bush.

I'm not blaming anyone and I don't "beat around the bush". I personally haven't watched enough FB to make any kind of judgement.
But if our RBs are doing better because of coaches, then it's coaching. That's not beating around any bush.

Another coach slammer.

Ever think this years RBs are doing better than last years simply because they’re better and stronger?

Reactions: jerryusc

Last year's RBs were victimized by our OC.

Reactions: jerryusc
I rewatched the game and the O line while better this year are not great. Bobo's dedication to the run also helps. The biggest difference is that both Harris and Fenwick actually break tackles on a consistent basis and both fall forward. Harris is the best back we have had at making 3 yards out of nothing since Lattimore. This position group is without question the best surprise this year.

Mike Davis says hello.

Last year's RBs were victimized by our OC.
False.

They were 'victimized" by their lack of 'want to'. Dowdle was anyway.

The pass that was returned for a pick 6 early in the 2018 Georgia game is a watershed moment in our post-Spurrier history. The non-football folks immediately threw Bentley under the bus of course ('he throws it too hard!' Seriously?) but the fact is that the throw was money and Dowdle had alligator arms (keeping arms in tight because you know you're going to get hit.) That was all Dowdle.

They seem to be performing better than feaster and dowdle did. Are they better or do they want it more? Dowdle seemed to get hurt easy and feaster never really showed much but these two guys run hard and fall forward. They also don’t get up and tap their helmet to come out. They are also young so be room is about to be extremely talented when Lloyd plays next year with these two.
No last year we ran 2 running plays. The inside zone and the pin and pull. Teams were able to adjust and shut it down. Both Feaster and Dowdle would've put up big numbers in Bobo's offense. In the passing game as well as running game. Feaster was known to be good in the passing game but we rarely used him there.

1975:
Kevin Long
Clarence Williams
Jeff Grantz (though not a RB)

1980:
George Rogers (nuff said)
Long and Williams-I think the coach the BOT/Holderman fired(Carlen)had those two both gaining a 1000 yards in one season. You don't fire a coach who does that.

Reactions: uscedge21
Coach slamming? WTF are you? We should have never hired Muschamp. How about that for "coach slamming"? Now run along.

Ahh, there it is.....doesn’t matter if other RBs are better, doesn’t matter how many games we win or lose, all that matter to you is that we never should’ve hired Muschamp to take over the raging dumpster fire Spurrier left the program in.

You’re just as pathetic as the rest of the whiners who are still upset that Tom Herman saw what a hole Spurrier had sunk us into, and didn’t want a total rebuild. You’re still crying because Kirby Smart chose the easier path to winning by going to UGA. You’re still incredulous that RichRod used us to get a raise, because he didn’t want the challenge of running an offense with a walk on Publix bagboy for QB.

What could, and should be a good program that was heading upwards instead was reduced to a steaming pit of shame in a matter of a few years by a disinterested HBC who put the program in the hands of his disinterested son.

You still can’t get over that embarrassment, so instead you blame the guy who took on the challenge of totally rebuilding from the ground up a team that was a shell of what it used to be.

Here’s a thought...why don’t YOU run along now? Pathetic.

Reactions: kidrobinski
Well said.

This and other message boards used to be a place where people who had played and understood the game gathered. People who served in the military for any appreciable time carry and conduct themselves a certain way; the same is true for people who played sports, football in particular, for an appreciable time. Everyone has a right to be on message boards obviously, but it has become more and more of a sewer. There was a post on this site a few weeks ago that 'one doesn't have to be a chef to know the chicken is burned" or something to that effect as a justification that perception is reality in "understanding' football; obviously there are many on message boards and social media who have spent more time studying chicken than they have football.

Last edited:
Ahh, there it is.....doesn’t matter if other RBs are better, doesn’t matter how many games we win or lose, all that matter to you is that we never should’ve hired Muschamp to take over the raging dumpster fire Spurrier left the program in.

You’re just as pathetic as the rest of the whiners who are still upset that Tom Herman saw what a hole Spurrier had sunk us into, and didn’t want a total rebuild. You’re still crying because Kirby Smart chose the easier path to winning by going to UGA. You’re still incredulous that RichRod used us to get a raise, because he didn’t want the challenge of running an offense with a walk on Publix bagboy for QB.

What could, and should be a good program that was heading upwards instead was reduced to a steaming pit of shame in a matter of a few years by a disinterested HBC who put the program in the hands of his disinterested son.

You still can’t get over that embarrassment, so instead you blame the guy who took on the challenge of totally rebuilding from the ground up a team that was a shell of what it used to be.

Here’s a thought...why don’t YOU run along now? Pathetic.
Nice....enjoy hiding behind your keyboard internet tough guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT