ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Tigers due for a fall

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
this season? One would not think so with their unblemished record and fresh victory over nationally ranked Notre Dame. Clemson's first two wins don't count because of who they played. The much praised defense has to be given credit for playing hard in every game this year but has some weaknesses that were exploited last game, namely the weak pass defense over the middle and pass action delay routes to receivers out of the backfield. Once ND found these weaknesses, it also opened up the running game. Clemson won but gave up nearly 500 yards on a rain soaked night. The Tiger offense is not nearly as good as advertised pre-season. Struggled to beat Louisville and looked very average and with exception of the opening drive, pretty much got shut down by ND. Deshaun did not perform well in either game. He does not have the offensive line needed to give him time to execute the Chad Morris spread attack. Lastly, the Tiger special teams coverage so far has really been bad. Sooner or later it could cost them a victory.
Clemson has two games on the road to be played that could spell upset. NC State and South Carolina. I like those picks over GT and FSU because of the home field advantage and the fact that neither of these teams are that good this year. Can the Tigers correct their weakness? Can unranked teams like South Carolina suddenly start playing good enough to win? We shall see.

Reactions: nmilas
this season? One would not think so with their unblemished record and fresh victory over nationally ranked Notre Dame. Clemson's first two wins don't count because of who they played. The much praised defense has to be given credit for playing hard in every game this year but has some weaknesses that were exploited last game, namely the weak pass defense over the middle and pass action delay routes to receivers out of the backfield. Once ND found these weaknesses, it also opened up the running game. Clemson won but gave up nearly 500 yards on a rain soaked night. The Tiger offense is not nearly as good as advertised pre-season. Struggled to beat Louisville and looked very average and with exception of the opening drive, pretty much got shut down by ND. Deshaun did not perform well in either game. He does not have the offensive line needed to give him time to execute the Chad Morris spread attack. Lastly, the Tiger special teams coverage so far has really been bad. Sooner or later it could cost them a victory.
Clemson has two games on the road to be played that could spell upset. NC State and South Carolina. I like those picks over GT and FSU because of the home field advantage and the fact that neither of these teams are that good this year. Can the Tigers correct their weakness? Can unranked teams like South Carolina suddenly start playing good enough to win? We shall see.
Good chance they go undefeated..
NC State has a much better chance to beat them than we do.
SOS will still be focused on winning the conference with 7 or 8 losses and tell you Clemson doesn't matter.

Reactions: Dackel
App

I'm pretty sure I saw where APP ST is favored to win every game on their schedule besides the Clemson game. I know they are in the sun belt but they are better than the div 1AA team that most people still think of them as.

I think the bigger issue on offense is that no one has stepped up as the deep threat that Mike Williams provided. Without that true, sure-handed deep threat, the offense is more difficult to run. Despite all the injuries, etc. Clemson has played pretty well so far this season. The defense has been solid, but the lack of depth will make Clemson more vulnerable late in games if the offense fails to sustain drives.

ND is a very good team and took advantage of a gassed D. The D stepped up when necessary and made the plays to seal the victory.

Most Clemson fans are looking forward to next year as the Oline and skill folks mature, but so far, so good this season and we are enjoying the ride. All the team can do is prepare for the next game and if they execute well, they have a chance to win. As a fan, for what more can one ask?

MANAFOLD,
Our team has went to he## and you are showing concern for Clemson. Go to tigernet.com
and voice your opinion there. I don't care if Clempson wins the NC. Right now, as a
lifelong Gamecock, my ONLY concern is to get OUR ship righted. I'll worry about our inbred
upstate cousins later, much later.

If we pull an upset this season, I will be amazed and our longterm success will require major coaching changes.

As far as Clemson, they had a sexy win and great media exposure because of it but I see signs of weakness in their offense and defense. It appeared Brian Kelly figured out their defense in the 4th quarter and ran up a lot of yards and points to nearly steal the game even with all the turnovers.

NC State could be that trap game. Ga Tech is decimated with injuries and FSU looks like garbage, plus those games are at home. NC State is 4-1 although they did lose to LOU. The taters seem to be winning the games they are suppose to loose so who knows.

Clemson like every school, will not go undefeated this year. I'm not going to predict games, just that they will not go undefeated

I think the bigger issue on offense is that no one has stepped up as the deep threat that Mike Williams provided. Without that true, sure-handed deep threat, the offense is more difficult to run. Despite all the injuries, etc. Clemson has played pretty well so far this season. The defense has been solid, but the lack of depth will make Clemson more vulnerable late in games if the offense fails to sustain drives.

ND is a very good team and took advantage of a gassed D. The D stepped up when necessary and made the plays to seal the victory.

Most Clemson fans are looking forward to next year as the Oline and skill folks mature, but so far, so good this season and we are enjoying the ride. All the team can do is prepare for the next game and if they execute well, they have a chance to win. As a fan, for what more can one ask?

Sorry, but what did ND actually do to deserve their ranking or to be considered a very good team? They were 7-6 last year. Coming into the game with Clemson they had not played a ranked team. They struggled with a terrible UVA team and gave up 416 yards to the Cavs. And they had lost six starters including the QB and RB prior to last Saturday. Despite the immature rants and hype from the Dablow spin machine, the facts show ND to be a very ordinary team.

Clemson like every school, will not go undefeated this year. I'm not going to predict games, just that they will not go undefeated

Odds certainly favor that. It's tough to go undefeated, no matter the conference. I still can't tell who is really good and who isn't. Such a weird start to the college football season.

[rants and hype from the Dablow spin machine, the facts show ND to be a very ordinary team.[/QUOTE]

I agree and as ordinary as ND should have been in the poles, they managed to score 3 TDs in the 4th Quarter on very long drives and big plays. One of the drives they didn't score was a fumble just before a receiver was about to score a TD but fumbled on the 2 yard line. Clemson's D gave up about 300 yards and 3 TDs in the 4th Quarter. If ND had kicked the PAT after the 1st TD, the game is tied 24-24 at the end and headed to overtime that ND would have continued to dominate like the 4th Q.

Bottom line is Notre Dame and Alabama have losses on their season because of turnovers. In the games they lost, they totaled 9 turnovers.

The way Bama dismantled Georgia, they should be the best team this year and win it all if they get past LSU.

[rants and hype from the Dablow spin machine, the facts show ND to be a very ordinary team.

I agree and as ordinary as ND should have been in the poles, they managed to score 3 TDs in the 4th Quarter on very long drives and big plays. One of the drives they didn't score was a fumble just before a receiver was about to score a TD but fumbled on the 2 yard line. Clemson's D gave up about 300 yards and 3 TDs in the 4th Quarter. If ND had kicked the PAT after the 1st TD, the game is tied 24-24 at the end and headed to overtime that ND would have continued to dominate like the 4th Q.

Bottom line is Notre Dame and Alabama have losses on their season because of turnovers. In the games they lost, they totaled 9 turnovers.

The way Bama dismantled Georgia, they should be the best team this year and win it all if they get past LSU.[/QUOTE]
Great Post & My Boy Rudyard Kipling agrees!

App

I'm pretty sure I saw where APP ST is favored to win every game on their schedule besides the Clemson game. I know they are in the sun belt but they are better than the div 1AA team that most people still think of them as.
App State is actually a pretty good team. Took the kids to watch them (at home) and they are pretty legit.

Cocktal, I probably have been a loyal Gamecock much longer than yourself and I try to keep up with other teams we compete with on our schedule, kind of get some insight on what goes on around us. Me and any other loyal Gamecock doing this are just as concerned about our future as you are.

Sadly, if Clemson keeps any kind of focus, I don't see anyone left on their schedule. Toughest game should be against an FSU team that is impressing nobody. Next best team is probably NC State. State has already been beaten at home by Louisville which Clemson beat on the road in a game many feel like they didn't play very well. Those two are the only ones that may have an outside chance. And have seen nothing from either that says they can. So as much as most everyone hates to hear about it, Clrmson goes to the ACC championship for a chance to go to the playoff. Don't see anyone in that side of the league that can beat them. The benefits of playing in the ACC. Win one or two big games a year and you are a playoff team.

The above post is accurate. Good job olcoach04!

+1 You never know what will happen and if the team gets caught looking ahead, looking back or otherwise loses focus any game can be lost. It will be interesting to watch the season play out.

They will lose at some point but not sure who. I think Clemson is better than all remaining teams they play, but its a thin margin between, FSU and GT. NCSU has a shot given the history and its a road game.and I think BC does too. I don't see the Gamecocks really having a chance unless things change. It is a rivalry and a road game, but Clemson would have to suffer injuries or turn it over 3 - 4 times to lose...at least what ive seen to this point.

The offense has potential, but the OC is playing it safe it seems. They did drop a TD pass the other night and lost another to an INT in the endzone and missed a fg.....no points on all those drives, otherwise you are looking at another 13-17 points depending on endzone int drive. Self inflicted wounds kept them from having 37-41 pts. and they weren't even aggressive.

The defense is good enough to hold their own with anyone and it seemed NDs big plays and success all came in the 4th quarter and especially halfway thru when the offense wasn't doing much....defense got a little tired and from a scheme standpoint, the DC looked to be playing it safe to prevent a big play overtop. They wanted ND to convert underneath and put together drives.

Thats what makes college football special. You can't predict the outcome with polls, computers, talking heads or fan opinion. You have to spot the ball and play the games. The only thing for certain is Clemson wont finish the season with less than 4 wins, everything else has yet to be determined.

They will lose at some point but not sure who. I think Clemson is better than all remaining teams they play, but its a thin margin between, FSU and GT. NCSU has a shot given the history and its a road game.and I think BC does too. I don't see the Gamecocks really having a chance unless things change. It is a rivalry and a road game, but Clemson would have to suffer injuries or turn it over 3 - 4 times to lose...at least what ive seen to this point.

The offense has potential, but the OC is playing it safe it seems. They did drop a TD pass the other night and lost another to an INT in the endzone and missed a fg.....no points on all those drives, otherwise you are looking at another 13-17 points depending on endzone int drive. Self inflicted wounds kept them from having 37-41 pts. and they weren't even aggressive.

The defense is good enough to hold their own with anyone and it seemed NDs big plays and success all came in the 4th quarter and especially halfway thru when the offense wasn't doing much....defense got a little tired and from a scheme standpoint, the DC looked to be playing it safe to prevent a big play overtop. They wanted ND to convert underneath and put together drives.

Since when did a 62 yard touchdown become an underneath play? ND did what they wanted in the 4th Quarter. Instead of being predictive and conservative, they played ball and dominated statistically and on the scoreboard in the 2nd half....19 to 7...

Sorry, but what did ND actually do to deserve their ranking or to be considered a very good team? They were 7-6 last year. Coming into the game with Clemson they had not played a ranked team. They struggled with a terrible UVA team and gave up 416 yards to the Cavs. And they had lost six starters including the QB and RB prior to last Saturday. Despite the immature rants and hype from the Dablow spin machine, the facts show ND to be a very ordinary team.

I hear nobody mentioning the fact that ND played without SIX STARTERS, 3 on offense and 3 on defense. QB, RB, Tight End, 2 DB's and a Def Tackle. How would Clemson have fared in this game if they were missing these positions?

I don't hear any one talking about the fact that Clemson had a hurt receiver, a hurt center, and a missing defensive lineman. Injuries are part of the game what is your point. oh and they are without a safety.

Notre Dame isn't that good.They struggled to barely beat UVA by a td. The same UVA that got dismantled on there home field a couple weeks later 56-14 by Boise St. They held on to beat G. Tech who got whacked by Duke and lost to UNC on there home field. Notre Dame got in the spotlight for beating the powerhouse Texas who could have gotten 100 scored on them by TCU if they had wanted. Facts are ND could have easily beaten Clemson but didn't take advantage of the opportunities given. Louisville as well could have won. Don't be shocked if G tech brings them down to earth this week.

I don't hear any one talking about the fact that Clemson had a hurt receiver, a hurt center, and a missing defensive lineman. Injuries are part of the game what is your point. oh and they are without a safety.

It's going to be years before we see some decent football in Columbia, SC.

This happens when you pay an aging coach that can't be fired a butt load of money.

We are at his mercy.

Sadly, if Clemson keeps any kind of focus, I don't see anyone left on their schedule. Toughest game should be against an FSU team that is impressing nobody. Next best team is probably NC State. State has already been beaten at home by Louisville which Clemson beat on the road in a game many feel like they didn't play very well. Those two are the only ones that may have an outside chance. And have seen nothing from either that says they can. So as much as most everyone hates to hear about it, Clrmson goes to the ACC championship for a chance to go to the playoff. Don't see anyone in that side of the league that can beat them. The benefits of playing in the ACC. Win one or two big games a year and you are a playoff team.
Totally agree! Have a very easy schedule this year & aren't really challenged but a couple of times and those teams - ND, Fla. St., & Ga. Tech - are home games not nearly as strong as they're hyped to (I think ND had 5 or 6 starters out last week)! Can' t see them losing a regular season game & the playoffs are very likely for them if other teams have a loss. JMHO!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT