ADVERTISEMENT

Are we going???

Well, when players leave; what else do you talk about?
Well, I know nothing about it, but we’ve all heard the stories of the end of the season interview that kind of lead a player to believe it’s time to move on and reviewing their value to the team and playing time from the year past shows them the writing on the wall! Sad state, but now days anybody that's part of the team can walk away at any time, so it has to be a two way street!

Last edited:
Of course. With 13 scholarships a year, I would expect to lose between 3-5 players a year until there is some consistency (in both program wins and NIL). And even then, coaches may be clearing space for better players if they think they can upgrade. So players leaving is the norm, and not an indictment on a team.

With two freshman coming in from the high school ranks, they'll fill the other holes with transfers. I think they'll do a better job with transfers this year as well because they aren't starting this iteration of the program from scratch like they did last season. They've been recruiting these transfers from day 1 in the portal now - not just playing catch up after a new head coach/staff hire.

alot of these guys that are transferring are probably going to lower levels schools because they don't want to work harder to improve their game, they feel they are entitled to start and that is why the transfer portal has become so popular, it's not about the team as in our day, it's about me me me me

Got a good pickup today. Talon Cooper. 6-4 Graduate Transfer from Minnesota. He is from Spartanburg and played for Dorman High School with PJ Hall. Averaged 10 Pts and 6 Assists for Minnesota this past year. Can shoot the 3 ball as he shot 38% from 3. Started out at Morehead State as I remember him being quite slender when he was at Dorman. Has filled out to 195 lbs. Only drawback is that we will only have him for one year.

As we are aware the Transfer Portal is the only option available to get players quickly.
The issue is that there is so much competition for these players, what is the pitch to lure them over ? Increased / immediate playing time is the only one I can think of.

As a side note, has anyone heard of any NIL opportunities here at home ? Love/Hate/Indifferent it's part of the process, and others are taking advantage of that.

As we are aware the Transfer Portal is the only option available to get players quickly.
The issue is that there is so much competition for these players, what is the pitch to lure them over ? Increased / immediate playing time is the only one I can think of.

As a side note, has anyone heard of any NIL opportunities here at home ? Love/Hate/Indifferent it's part of the process, and others are taking advantage of that.

I think USC is a year away from being able to pitch much of anything. Need to have some foundational pieces on the floor (and something that shows the program is moving in the right direction). Last year only stabilized the program after the change in coaches, but it didn't do much else to show growth.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
alot of these guys that are transferring are probably going to lower levels schools because they don't want to work harder to improve their game, they feel they are entitled to start and that is why the transfer portal has become so popular, it's not about the team as in our day, it's about me me me me
I actually see it going both ways a lot. Guys are transferring up because they performed well at lower levels and want to see how they can do at a higher level. On our team, Chico Carter was an example of that. Hayden Brown was an example of that. Now, you have guys transferring out because they didn't like the situation that they were in. However, the circumstances and options these kids have are vastly different than what they were in our day. These kids can leave without penalty. Can you really say that players in the 80's or 90's wouldn't have transferred out of situations more often if they had the options of today? It's kind of like Chris Rock's joke about the fidelity of men, "Men are only as faithful as their options."

Last edited:
I actually see it going both ways a lot. Guys are transferring up because they performed well at lower levels and want to see how they can do at a higher level. On our team, Chico Carter was an example of that. Hayden Brown was an example of that. Now, you have guys transferring out because they didn't like the situation that they were in. However, the circumstances and options these kids have are vastly different than what they were in our day. These kids can leave without penalty. Can you really say that players in the 80's or 90's wouldn't have transferred out of situations more often if they had the options of today? It's kind of like Chris Rock's joke about the fidelity of men, "Men are only as faithful as their options."
I remember that joke, but I also remember a time when loyalty meant something. NCAA needs to go back to the penalty for transfers, just my opinion

I remember that joke, but I also remember a time when loyalty meant something. NCAA needs to go back to the penalty for transfers, just my opinion
ship-ocean.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT