ADVERTISEMENT

Are we recruiting on a MUCH bigger scale under Boom & Staff . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
than we were under Spurrier, Holtz, et al? Maybe it's just me, but I don't recall our having nearly as much recruiting info on this Board prior to Muschamp's taking over the reins at Carolina. What's going on? NOT complaining - the change is very much appreciated!

than we were under Spurrier, Holtz, et al? Maybe it's just me, but I don't recall our having nearly as much recruiting info on this Board prior to Muschamp's taking over the reins at Carolina. What's going on? NOT complaining - the change is very much appreciated!
Offers but no takers. We are kings of the 3 stars...........meanwhile the Tigers get 5 stars regularly............

Last edited:
Don't know the answer to your question, but our last two commits were 4 stars I believe.

....and a post complaining that they weren't 5 stars coming in 3...2...1.......

Reactions: theZero
While we have offers out to a lot of highly rated players, I feel that Coach Muschamp is building relationships with the high school coaches here in SC. I believe that he sees something in each of our recruits such that he feels that he can coach them with good results. At some point, the most sought after recruits will potentially start to fall our way. This is a marathon and not a sprint. I feel that we have taken a lot more than baby steps to dig out of the recruitment nightmare of the last couple of years.

I certainly don't have any insider info but it seems to me that the effort is MUCH higher level- we are starting to see the results already with some pretty shiny guys starting to commit - just think what a year or two of that effort will produce

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Spurrier's 2007 class will probably be highest recruiting class South Carolina ever has. Stars aligned for that one... won't see it again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Spurrier's 2007 class will probably be highest recruiting class South Carolina ever has. Stars aligned for that one... won't see it again.
2018 could be VERY good too.

And yet the taters struggled to beat us last yr. hmmmm. I think by the same amount of points that bama beat them by that they ate so proud of. Lol
Flip the scenario. Let's say we play UF the week before and win the SECE and are scheduled to play in the SEC the following week with a possible NC berth on the line. How well do you think we'd play a 3-8 Clemp? Despite being the big rivalry, it's a setup for a letdown. For Clemp it's their bowl game. These are still kids.

Lord knows if we squeaked by Clemp, that exact post would be bantered around this Board.

2018 could be VERY good too.

Could be. I just don't like to see people run down Spurrier's recruiting. He and his staff put together a bunch of highly productive classes and some really highly ranked ones. I don't think Muschamp has that juice right now. Needs to build it. Spurrier was a boss.

Reactions: USC-1
Flip the scenario. Let's say we play UF the week before and win the SECE and are scheduled to play in the SEC the following week with a possible NC berth on the line. How well do you think we'd play a 3-8 Clemp? Despite being the big rivalry, it's a setup for a letdown. For Clemp it's their bowl game. These are still kids.

Lord knows if we squeaked by Clemp, that exact post would be bantered around this Board.
I can tell you with 100% certainty if South Carolina rolled into Donkey Valley ranked #1 and played a 3-8 Clemson team- we would beat them by at least 3 touchdowns... Most likely it would be an orange bloodbath. Of this- I have no doubt.

Wow.........you really do go out of your way to take up for your taters and blast the G'cocks. Most true g'cock fans don't make excuses for the taters. Their schedule is soft, they should win 10 games a year and then only have to upset someone as a slight underdog. We were the third best team they played last year in the regular season........that's what's really sad

So pretty much what happened in 2010 after we won the East and had a championship game the following week and played at Death Valley? If I recall, we crushed Clemson and Alshon had a field day. No letdown. So I guess it wouldn't be the same at all.

Could be. I just don't like to see people run down Spurrier's recruiting. He and his staff put together a bunch of highly productive classes and some really highly ranked ones. I don't think Muschamp has that juice right now. Needs to build it. Spurrier was a boss.
I completely agree. His classes were ALWAYS top 20 at least! We had the talent, we just didn't have the coaches in my opinion. Hoke and Ward brought our defense down well bellow our actual talent level.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I completely agree. His classes were ALWAYS top 20 at least! We had the talent, we just didn't have the coaches in my opinion. Hoke and Ward brought our defense down well bellow our actual talent level.

All we got out of Ward was an underachieving Defense followed by a decline in talent on the field and on the bench. I cut him some slack for awhile, but it became apparent in his last two years on staff that the only thing he was building was his retirement savings account.

Reactions: gamecockblack

I bet you have a closet full of orange and purple shirts.... maybe a poster of Datboy on the wall?

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Gonna choke him?

I can tell you with 100% certainty if South Carolina rolled into Donkey Valley ranked #1 and played a 3-8 Clemson team- we would beat them by at least 3 touchdowns... Most likely it would be an orange bloodbath. Of this- I have no doubt.

It would be quite the feat to go 3-8 with their annual schedule!

All we got out of Ward was an underachieving Defense followed by a decline in talent on the field and on the bench. I cut him some slack for awhile, but it became apparent in his last two years on staff that the only thing he was building was his retirement savings account.

Ward is the 2nd worst coach ever to be on a sideline @ Carolina. EVER! And we've had plenty of bad ones.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I think the 2014 class hurt us more than people realize. On paper it was rated pretty high but a lot of those players didn't qualify. We ended up bringing them in the following year but the 2014 class left a void of talent in that class.

I love the vigor with which the new staff is recruiting; the pace and reach. Now, if we'd just offer some positions other than WR and DL.... :D:p (Now, before anyone thinks I'm being critical; I say that jokingly, because it SEEMS like every time I see a new offer out, it's for one of those two positions.)

I think the 2014 class hurt us more than people realize. On paper it was rated pretty high but a lot of those players didn't qualify. We ended up bringing them in the following year but the 2014 class left a void of talent in that class.
And we sure felt it, along with coaching complacency and upheaval. Right now is the most excited I've been about our team since the end of the 1st quarter of the A&M game 2 years ago. Muschamp is doing and saying all the right things, and hopefully will have a lot of momentum when he really gets the ball rolling.

Reactions: JBM123
I think Muschamp is doing a better job utilizing social media than Spurrier did. I think it give the appearance that more is going on compared to Spurrier because you hear about it more.

Spurrier just doesn't strike me as the type to tweet.

Recruiting is just growing into an offseason passtime for more and more people.

Believe me after the 5 bomb Clemson wanted to beat us More than any acc champ game. They don't have countdown clocks to the acc champ game. They weren't looking foward to the next week. If Dabo could have stomped a mud hole in our AZZ he would have. Fact is we actually showed up in that game. The Tennessee game and the tx am game. Just came up short

Wow.........you really do go out of your way to take up for your taters and blast the G'cocks. Most true g'cock fans don't make excuses for the taters. Their schedule is soft, they should win 10 games a year and then only have to upset someone as a slight underdog. We were the third best team they played last year in the regular season........that's what's really sad
Most secure, mature people don't consider moral victories.

Reactions: wdrcu75
We rolled into DV in 1980 and got rolled.

Reactions: wdrcu75
I noticed on Twitter that lately we have been in a lot of these recruits Top 10 schools. Us and Clemson. Think about that. We are coming off a HORRIBLE season. while Clemson is coming off a banner season. Boom, T-Rob, etc have us in play with these recruits, even after a 3-9 season. They are battling championship caliber teams (Bama,Ohio St,Clem Tech,) right now and other recruits are taking notice of this. The fact that we are even in these recruits top 10 is reason to be excited for what the future may hold. I for one am going to rock out with my Gamecock out no matter what! Anybody else wanna join me on the Gamecock roller coaster ride from heaven to hell and back again?

Were you not loved as a child or do you just love to put USC down at every given chance?

I keep telling you guys, Atlanta does strange things to people. Perhaps it's the reason General William Tecumseh Sherman dissed the place after putting it to the torch. When asked about how he felt re: the burning of Atlanta, Sherman replied dryly, 'As we were departing the area, I stopped on a high knoll overlooking the city and watched the flames do their work. I've never been back to the place!'

Now THAT'S arrogance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr CockStrong
To get back to the basis of this thread.....sure, I think they are recruiting at a higher level. Not slamming Spurrier, but due to a variety of circumstances, it would have been hard for any new staff not to recruit at a higher level. Muschamp knows the difference in winning and losing. It is about talent. You can be the greatest coach in the world, but if the other team is more talented, they can be coached in a very average fashion and win 90% of the time. Muschamp knows he has to get players to compete. He got a second chance at being a head coach after his failed attempt at Florida. Am sure he is well aware that if he doesn't get the job done here that his days as a head coach are over forever.

I didn't realize we were ranked #1 in 1980 when we rolled into dung valley.......you should be our team historian you know so much as a "Gamecock fan":confused:

In 1980, you were #14 with the Heisman winner going against Danny Ford with his job on the line (dropping from 11-1 in 78 to 7-4 in 79 and then 5-5 in 80, he was gone with a loss). You had a chance to come in at 10-0 and #1 in 1984, but lost to Navy the previous week and then beat Clemson on a second-chance XP. For all the talk of Spurrier's 3 or 4 good teams, the 84 and 87 squads were more talented relative to the times, and better coached against arguably tougher schedules. The 87 team was very, very good but got some bad breaks in the Miami game.

In 1980, you were #14 with the Heisman winner going against Danny Ford with his job on the line (dropping from 11-1 in 78 to 7-4 in 79 and then 5-5 in 80, he was gone with a loss). You had a chance to come in at 10-0 and #1 in 1984, but lost to Navy the previous week and then beat Clemson on a second-chance XP. For all the talk of Spurrier's 3 or 4 good teams, the 84 and 87 squads were more talented relative to the times, and better coached against arguably tougher schedules. The 87 team was very, very good but got some bad breaks in the Miami game.
I remember that Miami game very well. Miami was a team easy to hate back in those days. They were cocky and played dirty. A Miami defender body slammed Todd Ellis long after the whistle had blown the play dead. There could have easily been a brawl after that play.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
I remember that Miami game very well. Miami was a team easy to hate back in those days. They were cocky and played dirty. A Miami defender body slammed Todd Ellis long after the whistle had blown the play dead. There could have easily been a brawl after that play.

Danny Stubbs, cost him the Outland to Chad Hennings. When Chad got out of the air force, they played together and won super bowls.

ADVERTISEMENT