ADVERTISEMENT

Are we recruiting on a MUCH bigger scale under Boom & Staff . . .

I didn't realize we were ranked #1 in 1980 when we rolled into dung valley.......you should be our team historian you know so much as a "Gamecock fan":confused:

We weren't number 1. But we were 8-2 (only losses were Southern Cal and Georgia the eventual national champ) and Clemson was 5-5. Ford was about to be fired. He brought out the orange pants. Gary Harper, God bless him, threw 2 pick 6's to a name that no gamecock fan ever likes to hear.....WILLIE.......UNDERWOOD.

I was 8 and got a pretty good spanking for throwing a fit as it played out on the radio in our home.

Gonna choke him?

It would be quite the feat to go 3-8 with their annual schedule!

Ward is the 2nd worst coach ever to be on a sideline @ Carolina. EVER! And we've had plenty of bad ones.
yall didn't watch hokes defense last year did ya?

We are a 3-9 team who can't afford not recruit nationally and should be tapping into Texas and Cali.

We weren't number 1. But we were 8-2 (only losses were Southern Cal and Georgia the eventual national champ) and Clemson was 5-5. Ford was about to be fired. He brought out the orange pants. Gary Harper, God bless him, threw 2 pick 6's to a name that no gamecock fan ever likes to hear.....WILLIE.......UNDERWOOD.

I was 8 and got a pretty good spanking for throwing a fit as it played out on the radio in our home.

I was at the game...........and you are correct........in a nutshell it SUCKED. I was just making the point to AtlantaCock that to compare the 8-2 team vs a 5-5 team to this past season where an undefeated team played a 3 win team is WAY off the mark in comparisons. Not even close.

Reactions: funktavious
Wow.........you really do go out of your way to take up for your taters and blast the G'cocks. Most true g'cock fans don't make excuses for the taters. Their schedule is soft, they should win 10 games a year and then only have to upset someone as a slight underdog. We were the third best team they played last year in the regular season........that's what's really sad

Atlanta Cock has nothing but good things to say for the Taters.

Offers but no takers. We are kings of the 3 stars...........meanwhile the Tigers get 5 stars regularly............
Tater Simmons, all things being equal, Carolina beats Clemson in every sport and coach Boom will equal and surpass Dabo without having to resettle families, handout cash, relocate girlfriends , set up trust funds or even move churches. Hope you have enjoyed Clemson's little run of glory these last two years cause it is about to be over.

Reactions: ymbi and jonesz21
Tater Simmons, all things being equal, Carolina beats Clemson in every sport and coach Boom will equal and surpass Dabo without having to resettle families, handout cash, relocate girlfriends , set up trust funds or even move churches. Hope you have enjoyed Clemson's little run of glory these last two years cause it is about to be over.

As good as it's been over the last 7 or 8 years, year-over-year recruiting at Clemson has actually been getting better. Are you hoping something else will stop it?

As good as it's been over the last 7 or 8 years, year-over-year recruiting at Clemson has actually been getting better. Are you hoping something else will stop it?

You'll have a team of good recruits that will keep losing games to us, FSU, Texas AM, Louisville, any other SEC team you schedule, and VT, UNC, and Miami when they are on your schedule. Clemson will never win it all and the thought of Dabo accomplishing that is humorous. Just watch the games and all the blunders and miscues caused by coaching.

You'll have a team of good recruits that will keep losing games to us, FSU, Texas AM, Louisville, any other SEC team you schedule, and VT, UNC, and Miami when they are on your schedule. Clemson will never win it all and the thought of Dabo accomplishing that is humorous. Just watch the games and all the blunders and miscues caused by coaching.

You probably should substitute Georgia Tech for Louisville. We've never lost to Louisville. Now Tech is the team that beats us when they shouldn't.

And you have to get past this idea that every SEC team is Alabama. It has never been true. For most of the last 50 years, the SEC has been 1-2 good teams and a bunch of middling teams. Honestly, OSU was probably better in 2015 than Clemson and Alabama combined, but bad coaching in the MSU game cost them a spot in the playoff. Remember how they destroyed Alabama after the 2014 season.

And you have to get past this idea that every SEC team is Alabama. It has never been true. For most of the last 50 years, the SEC has been 1-2 good teams and a bunch of middling teams. Honestly, OSU was probably better in 2015 than Clemson and Alabama combined, but bad coaching in the MSU game cost them a spot in the playoff. Remember how they destroyed Alabama after the 2014 season.
Ahh great, another tater

I am talking about the future, not the past. Bobby Petrino is one of the better football coaches in the ACC and has nearly won his 1st 2 games against Dabo even with less talent.

The SEC is probably in the greatest era in their football history. Won 8 of 10 National Championships, won 5 of 10 Heisman trophies, and if the media tracked how many top 10 recruiting classes members produced over that period, it would probably be over 50. Every game is contested fiercely because the talent and coaching is excellent.

Reactions: Scuba_do
The SEC is probably in the greatest era in their football history. Won 8 of 10 National Championships, won 5 of 10 Heisman trophies, and if the media tracked how many top 10 recruiting classes members produced over that period, it would probably be over 50. Every game is contested fiercely because the talent and coaching is excellent.

That is still mostly Alabama. And UF when Urban was there (with an LSU and Auburn thrown in). A lot of the games are close because most of the offenses now are horrid. The big thing I always say is: what if Rich Rod had accepted the Alabama job back then and Nick Saban ended up back in the Big 10? It certainly wouldn't be the same.

That is still mostly Alabama. And UF when Urban was there (with an LSU and Auburn thrown in). A lot of the games are close because most of the offenses now are horrid. The big thing I always say is: what if Rich Rod had accepted the Alabama job back then and Nick Saban ended up back in the Big 10? It certainly wouldn't be the same.

Alabama has had the most success winning it all but South Carolina, Texas AM, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, LSU, and Auburn have all been ranked in the top 10 during that run and beaten some of the best teams. No other conference can compare in football and that is why the SEC has the biggest stadiums, the most fans, a TV Network, and the best head and assistant coaches. Add it all up and it produced the most National Champions, Heisman winners, and NFL draft selections and nothing can compare.

Preach, manafold. I don't know why Clemson even tries to compete with USC anymore, its a lost cause.

Are people forgetting that when Muschamp took over with about a month left in recruiting before national signing day we were ranked 76th in the country and finished with Jake Bentley added 25th in the country?

I don't think that Champ is going to have an issue pulling together top 25 classes. I could see 2018 being a top 15 class at least. Has the potential to be. And this year, we could have some very highly touted receivers committing, i.e OrTre Smith and others. This '17 class could be top 25 when all is said and done. I have to give credit to Muschamp and his staff - I think he'll build this program back up in no time.

No team in the SEC has the history Bama has.
However, the SEC is a traditionally tougher than anything clemson has ever played against.

In fact, your tigers have a winning record against two SEC teams........South Carolina and Mizzou. (And neither have always been in the SEC.)

clemson is 46-97-5 vs The SEC. (This only includes games with SC, since we joined the SEC. clemson is 14-10 vs SC since we joined, starting with 1992.)

For example:

Bama 3-13
AU 13-34-2
UF 3-9-1
UGA 18-42-4
UK 5-8
LSU 1-2
Ole Miss 0-2
MSU 1-1-1
Mizzou 3-1
UT 6-11-2
TAMU 1-3
Vandy 1-3.
Yep, you mighty tigers even have a losing record to Vandy.

And to think, many of my clemson friends claim they want to join our tough conference.

Last edited:
In 1980, you were #14 with the Heisman winner going against Danny Ford with his job on the line (dropping from 11-1 in 78 to 7-4 in 79 and then 5-5 in 80, he was gone with a loss). You had a chance to come in at 10-0 and #1 in 1984, but lost to Navy the previous week and then beat Clemson on a second-chance XP. For all the talk of Spurrier's 3 or 4 good teams, the 84 and 87 squads were more talented relative to the times, and better coached against arguably tougher schedules. The 87 team was very, very good but got some bad breaks in the Miami game.

Still has nothing to do with his original premise ... Gamecocks playing in the SECCG the following week against a weak Tater team in DV. As the poster, Laziness said: This is pretty much what happened in 2010. You know the result.

Funny how that reply answered the question, crushed Atlanta Cock's scenario, and neither of you followed up with an acknowledgement. Instead changed the story to something totally different.

FAIL.

Reactions: BigTomE
No team in the SEC has the history Bama has.
However, the SEC is a traditionally tougher than anything clemson has ever played against.

In fact, your tigers have a winning record against two SEC teams........South Carolina and Mizzou. (And neither have always been in the SEC.)

clemson is 46-97-5 vs The SEC. (This only includes games with SC, since we joined the SEC. clemson is 14-10 vs SC since we joined, starting with 1992.)

For example:

Bama 3-13
AU 13-34-2
UF 3-9-1
UGA 18-42-4
UK 5-8
LSU 1-2
Ole Miss 0-2
MSU 1-1-1
Mizzou 3-1
UT 6-11-2
TAMU 1-3
Vandy 1-3.
Yep, you mighty tigers even have a losing record to Vandy.

And to think, many of my clemson friends claim they want to join our tough conference.

Out of all those schools, only A&M produced more officers for WWII than Clemson.

But just out of curiosity, because I don't have time to look it up: what is UofSC's record against each ACC team?

Out of all those schools, only A&M produced more officers for WWII than Clemson.

But just out of curiosity, because I don't have time to look it up: what is UofSC's record against each ACC team?

You mentioned that the SEC was weak, underneath Bama. (Midlings.). The point is, cu hasn't fared well against the top, mid, or bottom feeders who have been in the SEC since the beginning.

Nobody brought up USC and the acc. (Most folks know that behind FSU, and to a certain degree Miami and cu, the acc isn't much to talk about in football.)

Our acc record pre-SEC? Or, since joining the SEC?

Either way, chances are it's as good as clemson's is against the top, "middling", or even the bottom original SEC teams.

Last edited:
I was trying to find how the different schools ranked in all-time wins (I knew UM and ND were tops), but I can't find UofSC on this list. I think it got left out, so I suggest you try to correct it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins

USC isn't on the list. cu is 27th.

which is very interesting.

Despite being 27th in all time wins, cu still has a losing record against every original SEC team.

So, what does that tell you?

Those wins came against the weaker acc. And, against nobodies.
And, yes, giving credit where due, 60 something of the wins came against USC. (But, that record has slowed down too, since we've joined the sec. 14-10.)

Last edited:

Yet, Datboy has a career losing record vs. the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT