ADVERTISEMENT

Are we that bad?

psmith5532

Sep 14, 2008
Greenville, SC
So the coaches poll came out today and SC received zero votes. While teams like Duke, UL Lafayette, Tulane, and Indiana receive votes. Surely we want be this bad this year

giphy.gif

It’s Only predictions. Not sure they know detail of our team /talent / how Bobo will do as new OC etc
They only base it off last year so hard to get votes off 4-8

Some of those votes are just shoutouts. After week one is when you really should start paying attention to that.

We should be pretty good if we can stay healthy. How many games they will play, how they will turn out... I do not know but we have talent and experience at every position (except WR), we have a new OC who has had tremendous success in this conference for years in the past...

All that said- based off what they saw last year it does not surprise me one bit that nobody is picking us to do well. They never dig deep in these pre season polls, they usually just copy and paste previous year end rankings and do a little tinkering based off which of the top teams lost major contributors... Even knowing we have more talent than was healthy and playing most of last tear, knowing we have a new, good OC... I would not have voted us into any preseason rankings either. We still have to show we can do it and we still have to show we can stay healthy.

Not only was this team 4-8 last year, they were demonstrably terrible over the last part of the season-- particularly offensively. The offensive performances starting with the second half of the Tennessee game, through App State, A&M, and Clemson were comically bad.

It's hard to imagine anyone would think this team deserve a top 25 vote. It's hard to imagine this team could win more than 3 games.

Anyone who is shocked that we aren’t ranked in the top 25 must have been in a coma for the past 7 years and JUST woken up!!! If that is the case consider yourselves the lucky ones!
Covid19 has put a damper on the progression of all teams. Some teams probably allowing it to water down their progress more then others.
On top of that, to me, our program looks more focused on political activism then football nowadays.

Last edited:
Anyone who is shocked that we aren’t ranked in the top 25 must have been in a coma for the past 7 years and JUST woken up!!! If that is the case consider yourselves the lucky ones!
Covid19 has put a damper on the progression of all teams. Some teams probably allowing it to water down their progress more then others.
On top of that, to me, our program looks more focused on political activism then football nowadays.
I obviously didn't expect to be ranked in the top 25 but to not get any votes shows where this program is...

I saw where we were ranked like 46 out of 60 or so P5 teams by some outlet. Teams like Oregon State were ahead of us. We have pretty good talent. I think we're thin at some positions (I am not sure how), but these predictions are based off the previous season, and in our case, Muschamp.

I think we could be better than that, but we have seen what this program does with expectations. I'm not too worked up about it.

Outside of maybe Taggart-lead FSU, one would be hard-pressed to find a team who has accomplished less in the Top 50+ the past couple of years - especially given that we are in the Top 20 in salaries, recruits, etc. {fully believe FSU would have beaten us handily in a head-to-head.}

Let's hope Year 5 shows us something much different than a bloated captain on a sinking ship.

Not to mention losing Kinlaw and Edwards to the draft. Lots of unknowns on this team. Hopefully Bobo gets the offense clicking and establishes some sort of identity.

Reactions: Brace1
Not only was this team 4-8 last year, they were demonstrably terrible over the last part of the season-- particularly offensively. The offensive performances starting with the second half of the Tennessee game, through App State, A&M, and Clemson were comically bad.

It's hard to imagine anyone would think this team deserve a top 25 vote. It's hard to imagine this team could win more than 3 games.
The portion of the season you mention us being especially terrible over, we were plagued with an inordinate number of injuries on offense. We get all these players back- except the ones that graduated obviously- and are adding some really good RBs to the mix this year. We could theoretically be a completely different offense... Both personnel and scheme wise. At the very least this should lead to different results... top 25 team? Again probably a stretch, but extrapolating expectations for the coming year based off of the period of time you are comparing us to makes about as much sense as people thinking UT is some World beater because they won some games at the end of last year (over teams like Vandy, Mizzou and Indiana) on the strength of great play by a receiver who is no longer on their team! IOW- it doesn’t make much sense. Maybe we will suck and maybe UT will be great, I don’t know- but I DO know both teams are very different than they were late last year.

We will be a very good team this year and I can't wait to see it..

I re-watched the SC / NC game the other night on the ACC Network for the first time since I watched it live. It took that for me to remember the feeling of disgust I felt driving away from Charlotte last year. The poor play calling, poor player conditioning, interceptions, and conservative game calling gave me a pit in my stomach.

It will be hard to ensure who will be good. Team A might be steamrolling everyone. Team B might be playing solid football, but not great football. Roll into game day/week and Team A has a selection of starters positive for COVID and Team B hasn’t been hit by it yet. Changes the complexion.

We won't be as bad as a lot of people think. Bobo is the caveat....

Bobo? So suddenly a man that the folks at UGA wanted gone for years, and then got fired at CSU, is suddenly the offensive genius that will put USC over the top? Coaching gets way too much praise, and way too much blame. It is all about talent. If you can't recruit at a high level, you aren't going to play at a high level consistently.

The portion of the season you mention us being especially terrible over, we were plagued with an inordinate number of injuries on offense. We get all these players back- except the ones that graduated obviously- and are adding some really good RBs to the mix this year. We could theoretically be a completely different offense... Both personnel and scheme wise. At the very least this should lead to different results... top 25 team? Again probably a stretch, but extrapolating expectations for the coming year based off of the period of time you are comparing us to makes about as much sense as people thinking UT is some World beater because they won some games at the end of last year (over teams like Vandy, Mizzou and Indiana) on the strength of great play by a receiver who is no longer on their team! IOW- it doesn’t make much sense. Maybe we will suck and maybe UT will be great, I don’t know- but I DO know both teams are very different than they were late last year.
Appreciate the optimism, but you are out of your mind. We will suck. Again. You can thank that baseball coach AD Tannerite for that.

I don't see us playing 4 games this year.

More right than wrong. With covid flare-ups throughout football games will get canceled left and right. The season could end with one team playing 10 games while another could be 5. Just don't see it playing out myself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT