ADVERTISEMENT

Are we the only country that is having fights at 37,000 feet in the air?

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
It is bad enough that when I take a flight to travel that I worry about one of the fan blades breaking off in the engine or a fire that starts in the cargo area or a space rock or lighting hitting the plane. Now you have to actually worry about the brawling that goes on inside the plane. I do not hear about too many incidents world wide expect for the United States that has made news quiet frequently recently.

I though Air Marshals were on the flights. Can these airlines companies hire their on security for these flights? Can there be a tougher screening process to determine if a passenger is air worthy? This needs serious attention.

• Haha
Reactions: Lakecock1
Fairly recently there was an attempted cockpit breach and and attempted door opening that were not widely publicized.

Even though the number of incidents are up by a factor of ten this year over a "normal" year. There are thousands of incident-free flights every day. The percentage of flights with an incident is still very small.

The flights with incidents are the "News". Not the uneventful flights. You don't hear about them.

Craziness has always been happening. Things are just reported nowadays. Not much increase in issues, just nothing can happen now that doesn't get recorded and gone viral on the internet. Every fart and cursed word becomes an issue and reported.

Craziness has always been happening. Things are just reported nowadays. Not much increase in issues, just nothing can happen now that doesn't get recorded and gone viral on the internet. Every fart and cursed word becomes an issue and reported.
There's a lot of truth there. And we see the video of these incidences whereas in the past we have only seen a by-line in a newspaper. I saw a horrifying video of a guy in Eastern Europe go berserk with a hatchet because a store would not allow his wife inside without a mask.

But there are also people willing to do and say things now in places they would have never dreamed of doing 50 years ago.

There are between 8k and 13k flights in the air over the U.S at any given moment. You are bound to see a few idiots pop up. I have close to 100k miles in the air this year. Luckily I haven't seen any of this crap so far.
Wow, you are quite a road warrior!

Let some Schidt like that break out on a flight I'm on and a forefinger will go straight through an eye. Its absurd. Don't get on a flight if you can't follow the rules.
While I hope I would exercise restraint and not personally do that, if I felt threatened by some fool who was trying to take out the plane for religious reasons (Amish), anything could happen to him.

Reactions: bcs bound
It is bad enough that when I take a flight to travel that I worry about one of the fan blades breaking off in the engine or a fire that starts in the cargo area or a space rock or lighting hitting the plane. Now you have to actually worry about the brawling that goes on inside the plane. I do not hear about too many incidents world wide expect for the United States that has made news quiet frequently recently.

I though Air Marshals were on the flights. Can these airlines companies hire their on security for these flights? Can there be a tougher screening process to determine if a passenger is air worthy? This needs serious attention.
People have lost their mind in general. This covid/quarantine has done a number on the mental health of Americans.

My friend was on a flight from Charlotte to Las Vegas and had to be diverted to DFW because a crazy passenger in first class wanted to step out side and talk to her mother at 35k feet.

Reactions: 92Pony
Let some Schidt like that break out on a flight I'm on and a forefinger will go straight through an eye. Its absurd. Don't get on a flight if you can't follow the rules.
There was a a discussion on a youtube video about people chanting USA during the flight.
Apparently I was in the minority thinking that was inappropriate and I was a liberal because I didn't think they should be chanting it.

Geez, I don't want ANYONE chanting ANYTHING while the plane is in flight. Especially if I'm trying to sleep or watch a movie...

I have close to 100k miles in the air this year. Luckily I haven't seen any of this crap so far.
Wow! That is like going halfway to the moon or circling the earth five and a half times. I am estimating that is roughly 166 hours or seven days in the air. I am guessing you must be either pilot or co-pilot or flight engineer for 787 or 777 aircraft.

Actually the did a story this morning on the number of incidents. At it's current pace they will be more outbreaks this year alone then in it's history of reporting in-flight outbreaks. Luckily I haven't seen anything like this ever occurring on one of my flights...and I fly about 3 to 4 times a year.

Actually the did a story this morning on the number of incidents. At it's current pace they will be more outbreaks this year alone then in it's history of reporting in-flight outbreaks. Luckily I haven't seen anything like this ever occurring on one of my flights...and I fly about 3 to 4 times a year.
Daily, I scan the CNN and FOX news web site. If both web sites are reporting these stories then I considered it important news. I am just seeing a lot of it lately. I looked at a report yesterday on FOX about a brawl that broke out over a stuck seat and this morning i read a report about a 40 something year old woman exposing herself in the cabin of the aircraft. I understand flying is stressful, but not to the point where fights have to break out.

One other thing I hate about flying is I am always in the last section or zone that boards the aircraft and by the time I find my seat the overhead storage is filled up and I can not but my laptop and backpack away.

Daily, I scan the CNN and FOX news web site. If both web sites are reporting these stories then I considered it important news. I am just seeing a lot of it lately. I looked at a report yesterday on FOX about a brawl that broke out over a stuck seat and this morning i read a report about a 40 something year old woman exposing herself in the cabin of the aircraft. I understand flying is stressful, but not to the point where fights have to break out.

One other thing I hate about flying is I am always in the last section or zone that boards the aircraft and by the time I find my seat the overhead storage is filled up and I can not but my laptop and backpack away.
Fly first class and it will eliminate that problem. I won't fly unless it's first class. I use my American Express for everything and usually have enough points to upgrade.

I was an airline pilot for 20 years. I never had anything remotely similar to what we read about today. It must be the times, or how society behaves in general. Have to admit, it was a number of years ago.

Wow, you are quite a road warrior!
Its what the job demands. Im at CAE right now waiting for a flight to DFW. A week in Dallas then to PA, followed by a week in L.A. Its has its ups and downs but it has lead to a lot of great networking, job offers, and upward movement potential. Surprisingly it has made my marriage go from good to great. Let my wife step away from nursing since Im not always home to help with the kids. Seventeen years of healthcare was beginning to take a toll on her. The stress was bleeding over into our home life.

Wow! That is like going halfway to the moon or circling the earth five and a half times. I am estimating that is roughly 166 hours or seven days in the air. I am guessing you must be either pilot or co-pilot or flight engineer for 787 or 777 aircraft.
I wish. Nothing that exciting. I work for my companies engineering group. My job is to improve asset reliability for our production lines. I look at everything from maintenance planning to staffing and make recommendations for changes, equipment upgrades, etc. We have 156 prodution lines so it keeps me busy.

I wish. Nothing that exciting. I work for my companies engineering group. My job is to improve asset reliability for our production lines. I look at everything from maintenance planning to staffing and make recommendations for changes, equipment upgrades, etc. We have 156 prodution lines so it keeps me busy.
So I guess you have to deal with this time to time.
ooda-loop-eight-step-problem-solving25-l.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
Isn't that what Chandler did on friends? 😁

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
Its what the job demands. Im at CAE right now waiting for a flight to DFW. A week in Dallas then to PA, followed by a week in L.A. Its has its ups and downs but it has lead to a lot of great networking, job offers, and upward movement potential. Surprisingly it has made my marriage go from good to great. Let my wife step away from nursing since Im not always home to help with the kids. Seventeen years of healthcare was beginning to take a toll on her. The stress was bleeding over into our home life.
Yes, nursing is a very tough career to maintain long term!

Ok on your busy career! Yes, i understand that it is important to go where the opportunity is, and wish you best of luck with the upward movement potential. Glad you can still follow the Gamecocks!

So I guess you have to deal with this time to time.
ooda-loop-eight-step-problem-solving25-l.jpg
One of the many processes my company has tried to implement over the years. Seems to change when my boss changes. They should add a disclaimer that says * only works if factory managment is competent and willing to take the necessary actions*. I spend a lot of time pouring over poorly written BDAs too.

It must be invigorating to contemplate an opportunity to mess somebody up and be thanked for it.
If you are on my flight and it happens, i suspect you will be buying us a few beers after WE SAFELY LAND.…”let’s roll”.

My chihuahua will eat you up and laugh.
Couple of years ago I did have a flight where the "support dog" took a dump in its carrying case. Luckily we were on the approach(and I was about 25 rows away). The lady was so embarrassed. Guess the little guy couldnt hold it. It was horrible then but hilarious thinking back on it now.

I can kinda see why. A few weeks ago on my way back from Billings, I boarded a flight from Denver to gsp, wearing the same neck gaitor I had worn in three previous flights within 7 days, and at least six other patrons were wearing. Yet the flight attendant that I politely told I didn’t need a hand wipe from called me out in front if the plane and told me my mask was wrong.

There are between 8k and 13k flights in the air over the U.S at any given moment. You are bound to see a few idiots pop up. I have close to 100k miles in the air this year. Luckily I haven't seen any of this crap so far.
Me either and have flown just as much. I wonder what the stats would show, but I suspect most of the incidents involve those that don’t fly often, don’t know or believe air traveling rules apply to them and/or inebriated. I think masking requirements and many not knowing how to properly wear masks have led to an increased number of incidents too. But again, I haven’t seen any direct issues.

A quick air Marshall story from back just after 9/11. I saw an air Marshall board a flight (I was familiar with their process). When I boarded, I had the aisle seat across from him. After the flight was boarded, a flight attendant asked him if he would move his seat so another passenger could have his seat (can’t recall the reason) and he said no. The flight attendant persisted almost to anger. Finally the gentleman had her lean over and said to her softly, ”if you have a problem where I sit on this flight, you can take it up with the Captain and he can help you understand.” No issue after that. I just chuckled.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Couple of years ago I did have a flight where the "support dog" took a dump in its carrying case. Luckily we were on the approach(and I was about 25 rows away). The lady was so embarrassed. Guess the little guy couldnt hold it. It was horrible then but hilarious thinking back on it now.

The travel, over time, can take a toll on your body. I don't sleep well in hotels and sitting around airports is brutal. It's a young person's game for sure. I do about 50,000 miles per year.

The travel, over time, can take a toll on your body. I don't sleep well in hotels and sitting around airports is brutal. It's a young person's game for sure. I do about 50,000 miles per year.
The last few months has been brutal with delays. I was supposed to leave CAE at 4:10 yesterday. Had almost 6 hour delay for flight. AVIS preferred counter was closed and my reservation wasnt showing on the app. Had to stand in line for over an hour. I got to my hotel about 2 am. Luckily my boss is a laid back guy. I tell him when im dragging and need a week or two home and he makes it happen.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
ADVERTISEMENT