ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas turnaround

Arkansas has been really impressive this season. It is amazing what Pittman has done in such a short amount of time. He hired 2 great coordinators. When you put the right people in certain positions and let them do their job good things happen.

Dabo did the same thing...

We just hire dumb coordinators and friends of the head coach who have been fired elsewhere...

Let's do some new... Hire already employed coaches, retire coaches are good, but I like to hire winning employed coaches...

He is not doing anything Muschamp didnt do the 1st year.

Yep, the first year there always seems to be a jump up after a new coach. Recruiting usually get a 2 year bump. Years 4 and 5 is when you see what you really have. Being this is year 5, in a normal year I think we would really know where we stood. Being an SEC only schedule, not sure if it is a fair measure or not. i figured 6 wins this year, one being vs Tenn, at this point IMO anything less than 5 and time to move on.

Reactions: jeff2001
Arkansas has been really impressive this season. It is amazing what Pittman has done in such a short amount of time. He hired 2 great coordinators. When you put the right people in certain positions and let them do their job good things happen.
People are all buzzing about Arkansas... They are 2-2 with wins over the Missi teams which are both TERRRIBBBLLLEEE. yawn...

This is sarcasm right Jeff?
Why would it be sarcasm? What did he say that was incorrect? Muschamp took over a 3 win team and got us to a bowl year 1. Pittman is taking over a terrible team and has them 2-2. I’d say he is 100% accurate in his assessment. Who knows, they may shock the world and go 8-2, but until they do/ at this point in time, the man has done nothing impressive beyond what Will did year one, OR what he has done THIS YEAR. Until we traveled to LSU last weekend, guess who else was 2-2 with one win being more impressive than either of Pittman’s!?! I guess by the sentiment of this thread, Will is doing a fantastic job of turning around a team that struggled last year? “Making the Gamecocks great again, AGAIN” might be his slogan if he were running for office? 🤔. I will let ya’ll figure that comparison out!

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff2001
Dabo’s coaching tree is Chad Morris and Jeff Scott unless I am missing another highly successful HC. Venables would have the same success as the others if he ever tried to be a HC in SEC.

They were robbed of a win vs. Auburn.
There was a mistake at the end, however no one single call/play/mistake wins or loses a game. I am sure if you watched that game they benefited from some good fortune at times as well to even make it close at the end... Regardless when Auburn was trying to stop the clock to make their chip shot field goal at the end to win the game and Arki had to rely on a fumbled snap in that situation to hold on for the win- it is hard for me to say they “deserved the win”- more if it had been ruled a fumble on the spike, those very odd/nearly unheard of circumstances would have gifted the win to Arkansas... So saying they were robbed when it would have taken a unicorn play for then to win... Mehh...

People are all buzzing about Arkansas... They are 2-2 with wins over the Missi teams which are both TERRRIBBBLLLEEE. yawn...

They led UGA for most of the game, beat Auburn, and Pittman took over a program that was whipped by Western Kentucky last year. Arkansas was not only on a 20 game SEC losing streak, but had also lost to WKU, North Texas, and Colorado State under Morris.

With a normal schedule this Arkansas team would probably win 7 games and that is remarkable considering how awful Chad Morris was

There was a mistake at the end, however no one single call/play/mistake wins or loses a game. I am sure if you watched that game they benefited from some good fortune at times as well to even make it close at the end... Regardless when Auburn was trying to stop the clock to make their chip shot field goal at the end to win the game and Arki had to rely on a fumbled snap in that situation to hold on for the win- it is hard for me to say they “deserved the win”- more if it had been ruled a fumble on the spike, those very odd/nearly unheard of circumstances would have gifted the win to Arkansas... So saying they were robbed when it would have taken a unicorn play for then to win... Mehh...
You can try to justify that under other circumstances, but not this one. If the refs get that call right - and replay as well - Arkansas gets the ball back and Auburn doesn't get to kick the winning FG.

A win over that crappy Auburn team isn't a whole lot to cheer about anyway.

They led UGA for most of the game, beat Auburn, and Pittman took over a program that was whipped by Western Kentucky last year. Arkansas was not only on a 20 game SEC losing streak, but had also lost to WKU, North Texas, and Colorado State under Morris.

With a normal schedule this Arkansas team would probably win 7 games and that is remarkable considering how awful Chad Morris was
Still 7 wins is pretty mediocre... I am mot arguing the guy has not improved the team. They are better... I am arguing that the sentiment people seem to be making that he has revolutionized the game or something is thus far not true. The people who scoffed at Jeff for implying he has done nothing more than Will did year one here are wrong- even by your projections he would likely have an Identical record to WM’s first year here under normal circumstances and Will took over a team that had gotten whipped by the CITADEL the year prior! I see an almost identical correlation here and nobody has yet challenged that notion with anything other than “woulda coulda shoulda” scenarios about LOSSES.

Some get it but some boneheads on here never will. He's done an amazing job considering what he inherited.

Exactly 💯. Pittman has done a great job considering the fact that this is his first ever head coaching job.

Still 7 wins is pretty mediocre... I am mot arguing the guy has not improved the team. They are better... I am arguing that the sentiment people seem to be making that he has revolutionized the game or something is thus far not true. The people who scoffed at Jeff for implying he has done nothing more than Will did year one here are wrong- even by your projections he would likely have an Identical record to WM’s first year here under normal circumstances and Will took over a team that had gotten whipped by the CITADEL the year prior! I see an almost identical correlation here and nobody has yet challenged that notion with anything other than “woulda coulda shoulda” scenarios about LOSSES.

7 wins isn't close to what Petrino had built, what Nutt's best teams did, or any of the great Arkansas SWC Championship teams had but it is definitely improvement.

The difference in Muschamp and Pittman is that Muschamp will always be seen by Gamecocks as the guy who failed at Florida and is a Georgia boy at heart. Sam Pittman, like Hatfield and Nutt, grew up and Arkansas fan attending Lou Holtz camps as a kid. Pittman was very popular with Hog fans and the community as Oline Coach under Bielema.

Pittman is a Hog and Muschamp is an outsider. Plus, Muschamp has had 9 years to prove himself as a HC and Pittman is on year 1.

Also, Muschamp is represented by Jimmy Sexton who made Tanner look foolish negotiating an awful buyout. Pittman's agent is a University of Arkansas graduate that is local.

Pittman isn't stealing money from The University of Arkansas and instead is paying big money for an elite staff. Many could argue Briles and Odom are the best coordinator combo in the SEC. The Hogs are as well coached on the Dline and Oline as anyone nationally. Muschamp on the other hand spent a couple years with first time SEC coordinators who had no big time game calling experience

7 wins isn't close to what Petrino had built, what Nutt's best teams did, or any of the great Arkansas SWC Championship teams had but it is definitely improvement.

The difference in Muschamp and Pittman is that Muschamp will always be seen by Gamecocks as the guy who failed at Florida and is a Georgia boy at heart. Sam Pittman, like Hatfield and Nutt, grew up and Arkansas fan attending Lou Holtz camps as a kid. Pittman was very popular with Hog fans and the community as Oline Coach under Bielema.

Pittman is a Hog and Muschamp is an outsider. Plus, Muschamp has had 9 years to prove himself as a HC and Pittman is on year 1.
So people are making up stuff in this thread about the comparison between the two coaches and what they did in their first year at a new school because... Their feelings are hurt? Got it.

So people are making up stuff in this thread about the comparison between the two coaches and what they did in their first year at a new school because... Their feelings are hurt? Got it.
The reason I started this thread was to compliment Pittman on his teams vast improvement. It was not intended to be a comparison to Muschamp.

The reason I started this thread was to compliment Pittman on his teams vast improvement. It was not intended to be a comparison to Muschamp.
Cmon now!
This is sarcasm right Jeff?
Why would it be sarcasm? What did he say that was incorrect? Muschamp took over a 3 win team and got us to a bowl year 1. Pittman is taking over a terrible team and has them 2-2. I’d say he is 100% accurate in his assessment. Who knows, they may shock the world and go 8-2, but until they do/ at this point in time, the man has done nothing impressive beyond what Will did year one, OR what he has done THIS YEAR. Until we traveled to LSU last weekend, guess who else was 2-2 with one win being more impressive than either of Pittman’s!?! I guess by the sentiment of this thread, Will is doing a fantastic job of turning around a team that struggled last year? “Making the Gamecocks great again, AGAIN” might be his slogan if he were running for office? 🤔. I will let ya’ll figure that comparison out!

Conversations take their own meandering twists and turns, especially on a message board that direction is often beyond your control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT