ADVERTISEMENT

Article from NYT on Hilinski:

I hope we are very deliberate with this kid. He has been through a lot and I can tell you from experience (not me me- someone close to me) that siblings of suicide victims often shunt their grieving as a way to protect their family and as a result the pain does not resolve; often turning to anger or excesses elsewhere. He's going to have lots to adjust to as a freshman at USC. Expecting him to come in and challenge right away is probably not realistic. However, a change of scenery is probably going to be a welcome event for him and with the right support, easily could be the best thing for him. Hopefully he bonds quickly with his teammates and they are generous with their time, patience, and acceptance. Very critical time for him and will impact his entire life. I'll be praying for him and his family. Tough situation.

He would play for the South Carolina Gamecocks, a middling Southeastern Conference team that had not signed a player out of California since 2015.

Middling??? They actually used that in the Exceptioning liberal NYT?? HeyZeusChristy the sh_t you see from such.

Last edited:
Middling??? They actually used that in the Exceptioning liberal NYT?? HeyZeusChristy the sh_t you see from such.

We finished the season 4-4 in the SEC this season. That's generally where we've always been. Not sure why you got offended by "middling."

I hope we are very deliberate with this kid. He has been through a lot and I can tell you from experience (not me me- someone close to me) that siblings of suicide victims often shunt their grieving as a way to protect their family and as a result the pain does not resolve; often turning to anger or excesses elsewhere. He's going to have lots to adjust to as a freshman at USC. Expecting him to come in and challenge right away is probably not realistic. However, a change of scenery is probably going to be a welcome event for him and with the right support, easily could be the best thing for him. Hopefully he bonds quickly with his teammates and they are generous with their time, patience, and acceptance. Very critical time for him and will impact his entire life. I'll be praying for him and his family. Tough situation.

I agree, Ken. My nephew attended WSU and is a big Coug fan as are many of our family. His brother, my other nephew, committed suicide in 2009, and Michael still suffers from it at times, probably more than we know. Tyler H.'s death set him back a bit as a result.

I was stunned to read in the article about the ugly comments he would get about his brother from strangers. He needs to come here, and I like that his brother [edited] is coming to MUSC and that they have bought a home at Lake Murray.

And I hope he does as Stephen Garcia told him to do and stays out of 5 Points!

GOCOCKS! BEATVA!

Last edited:
"When Ryan finally decided on a college, he made an unusual choice: He would play for the South Carolina Gamecocks, a middling Southeastern Conference team that had not signed a player out of California since 2015."

Interesting

Yep. I read it and figured they were comparing us with the "powerhouses" they had named.

GOCOCKS! BEATVA!

Reactions: Gradstudent
I agree, Ken. My nephew attended WSU and is a big Coug fan as are many of our family. His brother, my other nephew, committed suicide in 2009, and Michael still suffers from it at times, probably more than we know. Tyler H.'s death set him back a bit as a result.

I was stunned to read in the article about the ugly comments he would get about his brother from strangers. He needs to come here, and I like that one of his parents has changed jobs to MUSC and that they have bought a home at Lake Murray.

GOCOCKS! BEATVA!

Think his brother is transferring to MUSC or switched his destination to MUSC. He's in school now or will be coming up in the fall.

Reactions: rogue cock
Think his brother is transferring to MUSC or switched his destination to MUSC. He's in school now or will be coming up in the fall.

Right. Sorry. I scrolled down past the ugliness of the social media. Regardless, it sounds as though the family is now a South Carolina one. Very happy for them!

GOCOCKS! BEATVA!

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Social media is the devil with a keyboard.
I put Twitter at the absolute top of that characterization.

I don't have a Facebook account but my wife and two daughters do. If there's anything worse than Facebook, I'd like to see it. Teenage girls might be the cruelest forms of life on planet earth.

I don't have a Facebook account but my wife and two daughters do. If there's anything worse than Facebook, I'd like to see it. Teenage girls might be the cruelest forms of life on planet earth.

I agree as a high school teacher. I like my FB because I select my friends carefully. But teens rarely do. Peer pressure is hell.

GOCOCKS! BEATVA!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I can honestly say that I’ve only liked 1 Gamecock football player, and that was Lattimore. This guy, Hilinski, impresses me, and I can’t help but pull for him.

Reactions: chick75
I put Twitter at the absolute top of that characterization.
It never ceases to amaze how often people tweet something hateful, then when you look at their profile, they have a bible verse on it. Happens a lot with taters. You know, the type that supposedly read their bibles at their tailgate festivities.

It never ceases to amaze how often people tweet something hateful, then when you look at their profile, they have a bible verse on it. Happens a lot with taters. You know, the type that supposedly read their bibles at their tailgate festivities.
Hate is multifaceted on Twitter. And remember what Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven..."

We have fans that do the same thing. I don't see how any adult would bash a college kid for not playing a game up to their standards.

We have fans that do the same thing. I don't see how any adult would bash a college kid for not playing a game up to their standards.
Oh, my gosh. Criticism of performance comes with being in the arena. These college "kids" are old enough to vote, get married without parental permission, and go to war. And they accept the glory well enough when it is lavished upon them. Criticizing ballplayers is a long way from trivializing someone's suicide or marginalizing one who committed suicide.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
We do. You're 100% correct. I was just making light of a tweet after The Game by a tater claiming that you could see them reading their bibles at their tailgates.

Reactions: Orangemac

I was stunned to read in the article about the ugly comments he would get about his brother from strangers. He needs to come here, and I like that his brother [edited] is coming to MUSC and that they have bought a home at Lake Murray.

GOCOCKS! BEATVA!

How could anyone say something so horrible about his brother not knowing what torment he was going through in his mind. LORD, what has this world coming to?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT