ADVERTISEMENT

Article: NC State Studying Gamecocks

One of our opponents is studying game film on us 2 weeks before the first game.
Meanwhile in other news the sun rose in the east today

I always enjoy reading about the enemy. Thanks for sharing.
This motivated me to do a little more scouting of NCST and their staff myself. And afterward I come away with the feeling that if we play our game, limit errors and execute we stand a great chance of winning this game.

The biggest reasons?

Coaching
Doeren's record at NCST is below average at 25-26/9-23.
2013 3-9
2014 8-5
2015 7-6
2016 7-6

Recruiting (Rivals)
2014 30th
2015 35th
2016 43rd
2017 53rd

It seems NCST is going backward in trying to upgrade their talent. I can see where improvement is expected when return a lot of starters and adding new talent, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.
This is reminiscent of our 2012 opener against Vandy when they returned like 22 starters. The only difference is they had a coach in Franklin that was truly upgrading the talent at Vandy and proving he could coach at the D1 level. And even though that was a close game, it wasn't due to improvement on Vandy's part, it was more of our offense sputtering and poor execution that kept killing drives on offense. In the end the game was never really in jeopardy.

I have a feeling this game may be similar. Not saying we will win it. Who knows how either team (or any team for that matter) will perform in the opener. And while it natural to believe that having returning starters with experience should lead to improvement you have to look at it from the viewpoint that it takes a lot of improvement to go from 7-6 to being a contender. With their recent recruiting, I just don't see it.

SSL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT